PDA

View Full Version : Preparing a tarp??

sgt easy
02-07-2013, 20:24
So, I have a Big Agnes Flycreek 1; it has pretty severe condensation problems. I'm thinking of discarding the fly and using a silnylon tarp instead - 8X10, seam sealed, which I'm thinking, will be rainproof but will allow considerably more moisture exchange (and give me more room to keep my pack under cover). I can rig the tarp sort of like the fly, and cut cord accordingly, but am wondering...there must be lots of configurations dependent on the set-up situation - so what do you tarp campers do - pre-cut cord extra long for various possibilities, or settle on one preferred set-up arrangement with cords cut for hanging and anchoring? I guess a secondary question is regarding warmth - I think (?) if I set the tarp up with the windward edge against the ground it should give roughly equivalent heat retention to the fly (which would be venting at each end). thanks for any advice; leaving soon!

Miner
02-07-2013, 22:52
I only use 3 lengths. I tie a blowline knott (ie. a loop) to both ends of each line. For the longest setting, I loop one end of the line through the loop of the other end around the tie point on the tarp and run it out full length. For the half length setting, I pull both loop ends together and put the stack through both loops so that the guy line is now essentially half length. In shortest setting, I stake the tarp sides straight to the ground. The advantage of using loops on the ends of your cords is you can easily add another length to the existing line by looping another line around the end of the first one; though I never bother.

I use to use a taut line hitch knot that would allow me to slide the line to whatever length I needed and still hold in wind, but when I started to use spectra cordage (thinner and lighter for the strength), it never held well on the smooth material. And I realized that I only use a few lengths anyway. I usually just move the stake as necessary to tighten the lines. I use thin needle point titanium stakes which penetrate the ground easily; never needed to pound them in. If I hit a rock, I move the stake an inch or two over until I can push it in (this worked even in NH with its rocky ground). If I'm in soft ground where I was concerned about a stake pulling out, I fid a big rock or log to put on the stakes.

I agree that using a tarp will have less condensation, but you will need something for bug protection when the nights are warm. When the night temps turn cold, the bugs leave, but during a humid summer night back east, that doesn't happen. So having some sort of neting will be needed at night. I use a bug bivy or wear my headnet over a hat to bed (if its not too hot to keep the sleeping bag/quilt over your body upto your head).