PDA

View Full Version : How am I for food?

Eichan
02-08-2013, 04:35
Heyyo.

Okay, so I'm the type of person who packs only what they think they'll need to be comfortable and safe.

For me, this happens to be my sleeping bag, a pair of sweats, a tarp, my flashlight, a washrag, and a small knife. And FOOD. Lots and lots of food.

Now, I'm not hiking the AT this time around, but tell me if my food supply is enough for the trail. With restocking, of course.

I have grapenuts and special k mixxed together in an XL ziploc. Right now there's 2 boxes of grapenuts and 3 boxes of special k (strawberry, protein plus, and vanilla almond) in there. I was thinking of adding oatmeal, as I eat it uncooked.

In another XL bag (assume all bags are XL) I have tons of granola mix. I think there's two chocolate & red berry LoveCrunches and then a Coconut Apple granola mix, right now. I'll probably add some more granola though.

In yet ANOTHER bag, we have dried and freeze dried fruit. I was going to have one for vegetables, but all the ones I've tried are nasty. I'm pretty much just gonna buy a bunch of dehydrated fruit toss it in there till it's full.

In our next bag we have nuts. I think theres salted peanuts, regular peanuts, almonds, pecans, and walnuts in there right now... I was thinking of getting those soy nuts and some hazel and macademia nuts.

Basically for those bags I'll just take out a measuring cup (1 cup) and eat it out of that.

Our FINAL bag! Filled with cookies. There's coconut cookies, who nu nutrition cookies, praventia (something of the like) cookies, almond cookies.

And now we have random stuff.
Chocolate covered Goji's
Yogurt Raisins
Balance bars
Luna Bars
Greek Yogurt Bars
Nature Valley Crunchy Bars
Kashi Cereal Bars
Sweet tarts Lollipops
FRS (Or FPS?) Energy Chews
Nutella
Roasted Seaweed

There's about 15 each of balance, luna, and greek yogurt bars.
And one package of everything else besides the lollipops.
I'm thinking of dropping the nutella because it's kinda messy and annoying and oddly shaped. Plus I hate having to clean silverware (actually just a folding spoon/fork).

Thanks a bunch! Tell me if I picked good food or bad food, please!

I know it probably sounds like a lot (XL bags are *huge*) but when you look at it in person, it's actually not that much. I use a 15/24/6 suitcase to fit all my stuff before fitting it in my (slightly roomier) pack, and there is actually some room left, amazingly.
So, what say ye? Hath my food pickery been glorious enough?

Eichan
02-08-2013, 04:36
I'm used to city hiking, this ought to be interesting!

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-08-2013, 04:47
Well..... based on the specific information you provided about where you are hiking, how long you are hiking for & the actual quantities of food you have........... that food list is absolutely perfect !!!

Oh wait........ no it's not........ you need to squeeze in 6 ripe bananas and a tub of Ben & Jerry's to make that a practical menu ! ;)

Cherry Garcia of course !

moytoy
02-08-2013, 05:02
I really want to answer this but I can't. Where are u walkin?

bert304
02-08-2013, 07:24
This is what you are eating for dinner also? It is mostly food for breakfeast, snacks and lunch.

fredmugs
02-08-2013, 09:02
That looks like the equivalent of letting a young child decide what to eat every night.

daddytwosticks
02-08-2013, 09:29
Where are the Twinkies? :)

Rocket Jones
02-08-2013, 13:07
Too many bags. Get the XXX-Large baggie and combine most of these into one container.

Odd Man Out
02-08-2013, 13:19
Are your familiar with Andrew Skurka? At the end of his 4700 mile hike through Alaska and Yukon wilderness he wrote this:

"Thoughts on food? After six months of eating the same stuff, my favorite food items during this trip were anything that contained chocolate. My least favorite items were anything that didn’t contain chocolate. Next time I go on a long trip, I’m only bringing chocolate, at least for breakfast, snacks, and desert. The sesame sticks, Bear Valley bars, peanut butter-filled pretzels, and summer sausage will not find a way into my pack."

So I'd say if you are packing a ton of stuff you like, you are in good company.

Farr Away
02-08-2013, 14:01
How long will you be out for?

CaliLizard
02-20-2013, 15:48
You seemed to have packed a lot of snacks and possible breakfast foods, Im a beginner at overnight hiking but I would suggest some foil tuna and chicken packets (available at wal-mart), as well as some cheese, jerky, and maybe even some pasta noodles to cook, like hamburger helper meals without the meat placed into ziplock bags. your list will hold over hunger cravings but if your going on a long hike your going to be burning a ton of calories and will need more substantial meals. I would suggest planning out how many days you'll be hiking plan out brkfast/lunch/snacks you have down/ and dinner meals. Also check out the forums for good meal options or ask about the best meals to pack for such and such days at such and such location.