PDA

View Full Version : Foot Stuff

plodder
06-09-2005, 19:57
Now that I am on hold I can play with foot stuff. I have some Birkenstock inserts, wide, and think they are pretty sweet. Anyone used them? Is there a plastic version out there? Got some Coolmax socks for Christmas, and broke them out last month. It's a Maine thing. Anyone know of Coolmax liner type socks the thickness of Wigwam Gobis. Anyone used those Gobis? They look like they might be hot-polypro.

sliderule
06-17-2005, 11:05
Wigwam makes a Coolmax liner sock. They also have a liner sock in the Ultimax line. They are pretty thin, but probably a little thicker than the Gobi.

generoll
08-11-2005, 08:40
WEll, this is a foot thread so let me jump in here with a question. Does anyone know how boot sizes compare between womans and mens boots? I got a pair of the gold plated superfeet at Trail Days this year and one of the things the fitter told me was that I needed more bulk in my boot because my feet are 'thin'. I'm wondering if a womans boot my have less volume inside so my foot would be better stabilised. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Alligator
08-11-2005, 08:47
WEll, this is a foot thread so let me jump in here with a question. Does anyone know how boot sizes compare between womans and mens boots? I got a pair of the gold plated superfeet at Trail Days this year and one of the things the fitter told me was that I needed more bulk in my boot because my feet are 'thin'. I'm wondering if a womans boot my have less volume inside so my foot would be better stabilised. Any thoughts or suggestions?I think there is a difference of two sizes between men's and women's ex. M=5 W=7. I don't know if there are any specific differences between M and W boots, like there are for say for a pack.

Footslogger
08-11-2005, 09:12
WEll, this is a foot thread so let me jump in here with a question. Does anyone know how boot sizes compare between womans and mens boots? I got a pair of the gold plated superfeet at Trail Days this year and one of the things the fitter told me was that I needed more bulk in my boot because my feet are 'thin'. I'm wondering if a womans boot my have less volume inside so my foot would be better stabilised. Any thoughts or suggestions?====================================== ========
Yes ...the last used to make womens boots is narrower and lower volume than the male counterpart of the same boot. I used to fit boots and often suggested that men with extremely narrow feet try on a womens boot. It's a lot smarter to go that route than to throw on an extra pair of socks to take up the excess volume. Socks compress as you hike and the boot will ultimately become loose and sloppy. Fit is what's important. I experienced this most often with young hikers, transitioning from a youth size to that of an adult (around size 6 youth). They need the length but often have narrow, low volume (low instep) feet. The women's size 6 was typically a good choice for them.

Just to balance the story here ...the reverse is also true. My wife is a prime example. She wears a womens size 9.5 but has a wide foot. Womens footwear generally pinch her forefoot. Solution ...the mens size 8. The conversion in size is typically about a size and a half in length.

'Slogger

oliander
08-12-2005, 15:31
Bottom line - try them on. With one shoe, I tried a women's size 9 and then the men's "equivalent" (men's 7.5). They felt a little different. Often the women's version has a narrower heal.

Another possibility, for those with wide feet, is to try to order a shoe in an extra-wide size. Some shoe/boot companies offer this.

Alligator
08-12-2005, 15:49
Very interesting.