PDA

View Full Version : AT friendly shoe companies?

TurboPants
02-08-2013, 11:10
I'm having some footwear issues. None of my local stores carry any trail runner style shoes except Merrell and Keen, which don't like my feet. I usually run in Asics but I'm not sure I trust their trail shoes to last. If anyone has had success on the AT with Asics please let me know. I wear a 10M normally and pronate a bit if that matters. I fully plan on getting superfeet insoles as well.

Since I can't try any of these on locally, I'll be ordering online. Amazon has a few reviews on these but most are by people who hike 2 miles at a time and don't discuss how long they lasted. I realize shoes are the most subjective topic, but are any of these an bad on the trail?

- Montrail Masochist II
- Salomon XA Pro 3D
- LaSportiva Wildcat

It would be nice to have shoes from a company who understands the trials of the AT so if/when you have a nasty blow out you can contact someone who will take care of you when you're 40 miles from nowhere with broken shoes. If anyone has experience with any of these companies I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!

flemdawg1
02-08-2013, 11:27
http://www.rei.com/product/844994/brooks-cascadia-8-trail-running-shoes-mens

I've been wearing a single pair of these for 2 years. Excellent support and cushioning. I usually road run in ASICS 21xx or Brooks Ardrenaline series, and find these to be just as comfortable for my feet. I'd buy thru REI to use their foolproof return policy while on the trail.

rocketsocks
02-08-2013, 11:55
Run what cha brung

I've run Asics 2160 that didn't hold up as well as the Kyano 16's

My current kyanos have about 650 miles on them...(road walkin), I plan to hold these to the standard of the other two pair I have that are now retired to mowing the lawn and general yard work. Those have served me well, and owe me not a thing. One pair has 900 miles on them, the other has about 750, if memory serves (again, all road miles). I like the Ascis, But would expect them to fail quicker than the numbers I've listed if used on uneven rocky trail. If money is not an issue, those I listed are pretty gal darn comfy.

It wouldn't be fare if I didn't add, I too have been thinking of getting a pair of Trail runnin/sneakers, (just for trail) and have been looking at the NB 860, but have yet to make up my mind on that one. And again if I found myself in the presence of a trail head, I would not look down at the shoes I have on....But would run what I brung. Good luck!

Mobius
02-08-2013, 12:02
I usually wear Asics Speedstars or DS Trainers when I run. (And I'm highly irritated that they seem to be discontinuing the Speedstars). I've worn them on a few trail runs (Holiday Lake 50K and Gibbet 50 miler) without any issues but those are both easy trails.

I've worn the Montrail Masochists (didn't have a II designation though) on several 50 milers including their (presumably) namesake race: the Mountain Masochist 50 as well as a few 50Ks. I'm still on my original pair with little signs of wear with about 400 miles on the shoes. The Masochists don't drain water as well as I'd like them to, but they offer a lot more protection than the Speedstars (duh!). On long stretches of freshly graveled road (not likely an issue on the AT) I wish the Masochists had a bit more rock plate protection. I haven't run those stretches in anything else to see if another brand is better though.

The Masochists have more support than I usually get out of my DS Trainers or Speedstars but that works for me on trails. I find the Masochists to be a bit slick in heavy mud. They aren't super knobby on the bottom. They aren't as grippy on wet rocks as some other trail shoe's I've worn but they aren't terrible. I've never found one shoe to meet every trail condition anyway.

I wear a size 9 in the Masochist and all my Asics (er, except the Hyperspeed, but I doubt you'll find many of those on the AT as they're more of a track shoe).

I haven't had a need to contact Montrail for repairs so I can't address that but they're pretty popular among trail runners. I've seen a few Salomons and a lot of Inov8's as well.

Sandy of PA
02-08-2013, 12:30
I put over 400 miles on the Salomons last year when the Nikes I started with were tearing up my knees. I am using their Neutral Trails this year, I don't pronate so they work even better than the XA Pro 3D.

TurboPants
02-12-2013, 15:28
The rock plate issue seems to be a problem with every brand I've seen. I think some people have more tender feet than others. And considering I can barely even walk across a gravel driveway barefoot I'd say I'm a big pansy! lol I know of someone who made it 1000 miles on wildcats, and since they are the cheapest right now I think I'll give those a try on a break in hike.

MuddyWaters
02-12-2013, 15:57
Trail running shoes are meant for trail running. That pretty much means you are expected to go home at the end of every day.
The percentage of long distance hikers buying running shoes is not enough to keep a footwear company in business.

There is also a move toward more minimal footwear, and I believe MOST people buying them have ZERO idea of what or why they are purchasing them.
I see teenagers walking around town in NB minimus shoes. Footwear, is 95% a FASHION business today.

I have had zero problems with Innov8 295s, and 330s. These have some sort of rock plate. My orthotics also provide protection for about 2/3 of my foot. If you use superfeet insoles, they provide underfoot protection as well.

4-iron
02-12-2013, 16:16
I trained in Asics and hiked with them. 500 + miles on the AT with my Asics Kahana's, no blisters, no problems. Sorry I don't have any experience with companies.

4-iron

Scotto
02-12-2013, 16:30
Biophthera on YouTube used LaSportiva Wildcats and had great things to say about them. (8:13 mark, but the whole video is great)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b50qlIcjSTg

I don't know where in Ohio you are, but REI in Cincinnati carries the Wildcats.

TurboPants
02-12-2013, 17:39
I had actually talked to Biopthera, so he's the one who suggested them to me and is who I was referencing actually heh. Good call! He's not the only person who swears by LaSportivas. A few I found online made it 1000 miles with them. They are almost completely mesh so they would dry out quickly.

I am in NE Ohio so the opposite corner from Cinnci. I am actually closer to the REI's in Pittsburgh. Amazon has the wildcat for $77 right now. So comparing that to $120+ for Salmon XA Pro 3D, and $90 for the Montrails it's pretty obvious what I should try first.

Scotto
02-12-2013, 19:05
I had actually talked to Biopthera, so he's the one who suggested them to me and is who I was referencing actually heh. Good call! He's not the only person who swears by LaSportivas. A few I found online made it 1000 miles with them. They are almost completely mesh so they would dry out quickly.

I am in NE Ohio so the opposite corner from Cinnci. I am actually closer to the REI's in Pittsburgh. Amazon has the wildcat for $77 right now. So comparing that to $120+ for Salmon XA Pro 3D, and $90 for the Montrails it's pretty obvious what I should try first.

I purchased five pair of LaSportivas from Sierra Trading Post. A great option if you are looking for a good price. I learned that the hard way, buy multiple pairs at once and multiple sizes. If you order a pair to try it and then decide to buy more, they may be out of stock, better to buy all you think you might need and return if you don't like them. STP is great with returns. $5.95 to ship back whatever you can fit in a box.

BrianLe
02-13-2013, 00:23
"If anyone has had success on the AT with Asics please let me know."

I used Asic Gel Kahana 4's in size 11.5 EE on the CDT; I don't think I used these on the AT, but I used a mix of shoe types there, so maybe I did. I'm sure they would work just as well on that trail. I am (or at least was) a nominal size 10.

These have worked very well, to include durability; no complaints. Fortunately I bought more pairs of them than needed so have a few in reserve for future trips.

I got these because they looked to offer a decently wide toe box (which they do) and they came in wide widths.

fiddlehead
02-13-2013, 08:15
The problem is these shoe companies don't want to make a shoe that lasts.
They want to sell you more shoes.
Montrail used to make a great shoe: Vitesse.
Even that guy who was backed by all those companies and was going to smash the record 2 or 3 years ago, and got the foot rot right in the beggining (Karl somebody?)
was sponsored by Salomen but when you saw him in pictures actually out on the trail, he was wearing the Vitesse.

Unfortunately, these shoes were too good so, the discontinued them.
I use to wear them all the time and always got at least 1,000 miles out of each pair I had. (5 or 6 pair)

I don't think anyone makes a really rugged trail runner that is meant to last 1,000 miles anymore.
Good luck finding one and I'll be watching this thread in case anyone else does.
I Had a friend hike the AT last year and he went though 4 pair of shoes.

TurboPants
02-13-2013, 11:16
Unfortunately I think you are right. 1000 miles in the woods is still asking A LOT from mesh and rubber foam. Everyone used to swear by the Salomon XA 3D, some did a complete TH with 2 pairs. But recent reviews on Amazon show soles are breaking apart, stitching coming apart, rubber soles cracking etc. All good things come to an end!

I would think if you can get 1000 miles on a pair it would be enough. I know I'd be anxious to get into new shoes after 1000 miles! I would guess some of this depends on how you care for your feet on the trail too. Some make it 400 miles on a pair, some go double that with the same shoes. Just a flip of a coin really.

BrianLe
02-13-2013, 15:01
Since I had foot surgery (and even before) I've been pretty consistent at changing out shoes after 500 - 600 miles, the most I'll go is 600+ now. On the CDT when I swapped out for a new pair of Asics Gel Kahanas in New Mexico, the guy I was hiking with found my old shoes better than what he had been wearing, so he started wearing them. I don't know how far he got in them, but I wouldn't be surprised if those surpassed 1000 miles.

The backs of the heels (the lower sole part, not the upper) seem to wear off pretty fast; there's a chunk of rubber at the back that at some point just falls off --- sorry for the trail litter there, I think I did manage to spot this in advance once and pull off the "going to fall off soon" bits.
But once those are gone is doesn't seem to matter and the shoes stay in good shape.

Contrasting to early models of Golite shoes that I wore on the PCT and part of the AT --- night and day. I'm not saying theyre bullet proof, but in the context of what a light and breathable trail runner is, I found my Asics to hold up well.

The Gambler
02-13-2013, 15:19
i used 3 pairs of salomon xa 3d pro's on my sobo thru...only paid for i pair salomon replaced them twice....via one phone call each time...best shoes i have ever worn....used vasque newbriers for 20 years...never again...lots of folks in regular running shoes too...i agree that no lightweight shoes will make more than 700 or 800 miles

Steve Jennette
02-13-2013, 15:39
I did about 300 miles in the Solomon's, and they were great. Am using them this year for my thru attempt.

Dogwood
02-13-2013, 19:11
I'm familiar with those three shoes Turbopants. NONE are specifically bad for the AT. HOWEVER, as you've noted, hiking shoes are subjective to a GREAT MANY possible factors, so if you are asking if they are specifically right for you only you will know - NO MATTER WHAT FOLK'S WILL TELL YOU; it's similar to me throwing darts at a dart board blindfolded thinking I would normally hit bull's eyes on a regular basis for you. Not likely to happen. You just don't give enough info to properly address your shoe situation.

As far as shoe companies being AT friendly I really wouldn't think of it that way. Some outfitters and specific shoe companies will allow you to return shoes if you don't like them IN SOME SITUATIONS, BUT, IMHO, I do not think any company should be expected to give you a FREE trial run on all their products letting you return an unlimited number of shoes because you failed to address your hiking footwear needs adequately. Defective shoes are a different story. Although, as I said, I know some companies will allow shoe returns simply based on you not liking them. If we expect companies to continue doing this I doubt it will not last forever. There may come a time when companies cease to allow for shoe exchanges simply based on the customer not liking them. I think it VERY IMPORTANT to note YOU are the most influentual variable in the whole equation of getting replacement shoes no matter what the reason you are doing it for. Not everyone's situation is equal.

Personally, after having ordered hiking shoes on line many times, HAVING NOT ALREADY ASCERTAINED THEY WERE RIGHT FOR ME, THE WAY I HIKE, OR FOR THAT SPECIFIC HIKE AND having to return them, often at my own expense, I refuse to do that anymore. It can be a hassle, time consuming, hike altering, blah, blah, blah. AND, it affects the shoe company/outfitter too!

Again, defective shoes are a different story. That falls more on the manufacturer's shoulders.

I have had excellent customer service, specifically defective hiking shoe returns, with Garmont, Keen, Montrail, Solomon, Vasque, Back Country, Campmoor, REI, and a few others while on trail and had new shoes sent to me. Different companies execute this differently and have different policies concerning returns while on trail. Can't help you further than that.

With reviews of the three trail runners you list in the OP, if you have specific concerns about any or all of them( I've bought them all), AFTER you have looked at already existing reviews about them I will be glad to offer my 2 cents, but only after you have done that. I'm not going to type info that I know already exists.