PDA

View Full Version : recommendations for sleeping bags for a couple?

Cblueguy
02-08-2013, 11:21
My wife and I are planning a thru hike next year and we are contemplating the sleeping situation. We want to get bags that are warm enough to keep us comfortable on the coldest nights but we can open them up and sleep together on not so cold nights while staying light. Anyone have a suggestion?

tds1195
02-08-2013, 11:54
What's your price range?

Prop Blast
02-08-2013, 12:15
I believe that all Marmot, left zip bags will connect to all their right zip bags. I suspect that other leading brands with full zip bags do the same.

Cblueguy
02-08-2013, 12:26
My price range would be about $600 to $700 for both.

FarmerChef
02-08-2013, 12:30
There are a few tapered Mummy style designs that can be zipped together but I've only seen one or two in this style. As long as you can get a rectangular style bag in left/right full zip you can always zip those together. Keep in mind that you can get a 10-15 degree boost (depending on your comfort/body type, etc.) by sleeping together. This can result in a lighter, higher minimum temperature rating bag if you look at your sleeping bag, clothes, pad, as part of a sleep system.

If it helps, my wife and I have hiked together for about half the trail using two fleece sleeping bags and a quilt (when it's below freezing) as well as various layers when it gets cold. This year we may ditch the bags and just go with the quilt and clothes to save even more weight.

treesloth
02-08-2013, 12:36
Check out Joe's stuff at Zpacks. There's a couples quilt that looks pretty cool.

http://www.zpacks.com.

tds1195
02-08-2013, 13:01
There are a few tapered Mummy style designs that can be zipped together but I've only seen one or two in this style. As long as you can get a rectangular style bag in left/right full zip you can always zip those together. Keep in mind that you can get a 10-15 degree boost (depending on your comfort/body type, etc.) by sleeping together. This can result in a lighter, higher minimum temperature rating bag if you look at your sleeping bag, clothes, pad, as part of a sleep system.

If it helps, my wife and I have hiked together for about half the trail using two fleece sleeping bags and a quilt (when it's below freezing) as well as various layers when it gets cold. This year we may ditch the bags and just go with the quilt and clothes to save even more weight.

I would definitely go for a quilt or two...I think it would work well for what you want.

RedBeerd
02-08-2013, 13:06
Big Agnes makes a bunch of "couples" sleeping bags. I like Big Agnes..good stuff.

Cblueguy
02-08-2013, 13:18
Thanks for the big Agnes and zpacks recommendation. I really like the idea of the bag made together. I haven't put much thought to the increase in temp when we sleep together, but makes sense.

colorado_rob
02-08-2013, 14:43
As was already said, left/right zip bags of the same manufacturer generally zip together (including mummy bags). I know Marmot, Mountain Hardwear and Western Mountaineering bags all do this, because my wife and I each have one of each of these, and they all go together nicely. So just pick a good brand, buy right/left and enjoy cuddling! Our two WM bags are even different sizes (mine is long, her's, regular), but the zippers are the same length, conveniently (my long one just has a longer foot-box). Not sure if the other brands have this same feature.

We did wind up buying a double bag that we use for car camping. A Big Agnes +15 deg double bag, I cannot remember the model name. King-something, perhaps.

zbofvb
02-08-2013, 15:39
We are looking for a good 2 person sleeping bag for doing some thru-hiking this year(through the Virginia section mostly). We need some bags that will be warm in spring so 30degrees or so and lightweight but im kind of on a budget. Im having a hard time finding any bags that you can chose if the zipper is on the left or the right which is probably ideal for us. I keep seeing that there are alot of left/right zipper sleeping bags but I can't actually find any. Even went to marmot(heard they had them) site and still couldn't find them. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions on particular bags? He is taller than me at about 5'11" and im 5'4".

Also I thought about if I could find us a nice rectangle style bag that is warm and light weight in warmer months we can just use one bag for under us while sleeping and using a quilt on top. Any thoughts on this?

colorado_rob
02-08-2013, 16:01
I keep seeing that there are alot of left/right zipper sleeping bags but I can't actually find any. Even went to marmot(heard they had them) site and still couldn't find them. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions on particular bags? He is taller than me at about 5'11" and im 5'4".

Also I thought about if I could find us a nice rectangle style bag that is warm and light weight in warmer months we can just use one bag for under us while sleeping and using a quilt on top. Any thoughts on this? plenty of them out there, here's a good example:

http://www.campmor.com/mountain-hardwear-phantom-32-degree-sleeping-bag-long-1.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=44160RR&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

"If you have the Means..." (bonus points for know which movie this comes from)... check out the Western Mountaineering web site. We own two right zip and two left zip WM bags. they all zip together.

zbofvb
02-08-2013, 18:23
That's a little more than I was hoping to spend. Like I said im on a bit of a budget. Would really like a bag around $150 max per bag and Id really rather have closer to the $100 mark

Stir Fry
02-08-2013, 18:52
If you go with Big Agnes get somthing lower then you need. IMHO there temp. rating is for servival not comfort. I have several and I feel cold at about 10 to 15 deg above the stated rating.

Franco
02-08-2013, 23:53
Do you sleep with the same amount of blankets on top at home ?Are you comfortable with no space in between ?
(you can test the space thing at home too...)
You can adjust the difference in temps (if needed) by getting one warm enough for the warm sleeper and then getting the cold sleeper to wear some clothes.
If the cold sleeper does not like the idea then you may have problems...

zbofvb
02-09-2013, 09:29
I like it colder than him. And I've already thought about that. Id probably be using a 35-40 degree bag and he's probably be in the 30 degree range.

Bucho
02-14-2013, 00:54
There are a few tapered Mummy style designs that can be zipped together but I've only seen one or two in this style. As long as you can get a rectangular style bag in left/right full zip you can always zip those together.
Which manufactures mummy bags don't zip together? Because I've yet to run into it not working. One thing I'd mention is that when you connect two normal bags you'll end up with a gap between your necks where the bags don't seal, obviously you loose a lot of heat there.

CenAZwalker
02-15-2013, 11:03
It sounds like you are looking for bags but I would at least consider a double quilt. Talk to Tim at Enlightened Equipment, I believe he can do a custom double. And with the Karo baffles on his quilts, you have the option of moving some of the down to his side since you prefer sleeping colder.

WILLIAM HAYES
02-15-2013, 21:25
hands down Marmot Helium EQ

ferdinand the bull
02-16-2013, 00:01
I'd second Zpacks, they have gorgeous bags, and already make a 2 person quilt. If you spoke to Matt you could probably get 2 bags with mating zippers if the quilt thing wasn't your taste. The bags are sweet though, really solid.

Mountain Mike
02-16-2013, 01:56
Another option is buying two semi-rectangular bags with different temp ratings & mate-able zippers. Since sleeping on insulation degrades it use the top layer for expected temps. Just for example a 20 degree & 40 degree. When it's cold use 20 degree on top, when warmer 40 degree on top. Nice part of the semi rectangular is you both have a side zipper as opposed to a middle zip when combining mummy styles. Of course there is some added weight.

Bosman
02-16-2013, 12:17
Zpacks all the way.