PDA

View Full Version : Springtime

drumhogg
02-08-2013, 12:09
Hello everyone, My name is Joe and I'm planning a small (2-3 day) trek on the BMT in April sometime. I'm new to hiking, & a big guy to boot, so I'm starting slow.
I'd like to start or finish around the Cleveland, TN area (I'm hitchin' a ride with the wife while she's there for work)
I was tentatively thinking having her drop me off at US Hwy 64 then hiking north for a pick up at Hwy 30. What route would you recommend?

Also what temp bag should I use around that time? Would I be ok in a 40 degree bag? (I think I'm a warm to hot sleeper)

Thanks

Yamagame
02-08-2013, 13:14
I don't have my maps out, but can comment on the sleeping bag issue.

I sleep cold and would prefer a 20 or 30 bag for that time of year. A bit of it depends on whether you're going to be there early April or late April. Along the BMT, a little snow at the end of April can happen. But it looks like you're from Michigan? Maybe you will be fine.

SGT Rock
02-08-2013, 15:41
Hello everyone, My name is Joe and I'm planning a small (2-3 day) trek on the BMT in April sometime. I'm new to hiking, & a big guy to boot, so I'm starting slow.
I'd like to start or finish around the Cleveland, TN area (I'm hitchin' a ride with the wife while she's there for work)
I was tentatively thinking having her drop me off at US Hwy 64 then hiking north for a pick up at Hwy 30. What route would you recommend?

Also what temp bag should I use around that time? Would I be ok in a 40 degree bag? (I think I'm a warm to hot sleeper)

Thanks
I assume you are going to start near Thunder Rock and come out at Reliance. That should take about 2 days one night because it is less than 20 miles on the BMT between those two points. A 40 degree bag could work because there are not many high points in that section of trail, you could be camping below 1000' easy. The Lost Creek section of that trail is one of my favorite sections.

drumhogg
02-08-2013, 23:52
Thanks for the input. I was thinking those points would be easy for the wife to access, since we are from out of town. I'm happy to hear its one of your favorites.
I haven't decided on a bag yet, I'm stuck between a 40 or possibly a 20 degree bag. I may end up getting the 20 just to be safe.
I did order the BMT guide & can't wait to get it to look over the area on paper & plan several of these little section hikes. (the plan is to constantly prep for an AT thru-hike in a few years)
I'm still in the process of putting together gear for the trip, Is there anything special I should include?

blisterbob
02-09-2013, 07:52
I recommend the 20 degree bag since my experience with them is they are rated a little lower than they prove to be on the trail.
You can always unzip if it's too warm.

JAK
02-09-2013, 10:05
Enjoy your hike. Take your time. Rest on hills if you get winded. Drink the right amount of water not too much, replenish your electrolytes with the right diet or half and half water/poweraide if in doubt. Just keep hoofing it, but steady. Enjoy your hike and when in doubt stop and make a hot drink and check over your map twice and wear a watch to keep track of time and distance. Stay dry.

SGT Rock
02-09-2013, 16:30
Thanks for the input. I was thinking those points would be easy for the wife to access, since we are from out of town. I'm happy to hear its one of your favorites.
I haven't decided on a bag yet, I'm stuck between a 40 or possibly a 20 degree bag. I may end up getting the 20 just to be safe.
I did order the BMT guide & can't wait to get it to look over the area on paper & plan several of these little section hikes. (the plan is to constantly prep for an AT thru-hike in a few years)
I'm still in the process of putting together gear for the trip, Is there anything special I should include?You will find the BMT harder than the AT for re-supply, and about equal for hiking effort for the most part, although the BMT is a little longer overall. It is a good trail to train on for an upcoming AT hike.

drumhogg
02-13-2013, 12:07
Still trying to figure out my sleep system ... Was looking at a big agnes Hog Park bag, but that clocks in at 5 lbs. 13 oz.
Maybe a quilt would be the way to go. Keep in mind I'm a side sleeper, 5'11" 345 lbs so my shoulder girth is 65 inches my chest and hips are 58 inches.

Also what should I look for in a pack? I'm in an area where it would be tough to get fitted.
Will I be able to find a pack to fit around my waist?
Am I pretty much doomed to have a heavy pack, because I'm heavy?

SGT Rock
02-13-2013, 14:42
I don't know if there is an outfitter around you, but I recommend getting all your other gear figured out and then buy a pack that can carry all your gear and food last. As for a waist belt the solution is sort of simple. Once you get your pack, then get an extra set of buckles that can clip into either side, then find some webbing that is wide enough for the buckles to make a strap to go in between them. It may only be few inches long, but that makes an extender that can bridge between the two buckles. And if you loose weight you can then just omit the extender.

ocean31
03-13-2013, 21:11
What Sgt Rock said, get your gear, then the pack. Or......you can do it the hard way like I did,

I started out with a LL Bean pack, at 4.5lbs, a Coleman Durango tent at 7.5 lbs, a old coleman bag, (at some ungodly weight), and everything else including a hatchet, (what I was thinking on the hatchet I do not know), needless to say I ended up at 45lbs, and decided then and there I would not do that again.

So.....off the ebay, A Golite Race pack at 1.5lbs, a Eureka spitfire at 2.5lbs, and for Christmas a new slumberjack bag. Now the Slumberjack is a mummy style bag rated at 20degrees, synth fill and pretty cheap. Then neat thing is that the Sumberjack comes with it's own compression sack and compress down reaaaaal small. I was impressed. So if you are on a budget, and need a bag now, give a serious look at Slumberjack. You can get lighter bags (real down filled), but it is hard to find a new bag this good for the inexpensive cost. Anyway.....next time I hit the trail I started off at 22lbs, dressed out. And this is without doing the ultralight tarp tent thing. Heck I stilled used my old Gaz stove, and knife and fork from the family kitchen. Point being you can get the weight way down without spending alot of money. No need to do the heavy stuff.

Ocean31

drumhogg
04-23-2013, 20:41
Used the old saying:

Start where you are
Use what you have
Do what you can

Ended up day hiking a small part of the BMT today. Had a blast & can't wait for a multi-day trip.

I decided to order a hammock setup and I'm waiting on a custom Elemental Horizons Aquilo to be delivered.