PDA

View Full Version : Big agnes scout ul2 review

DeerPath
02-08-2013, 12:26
Ordered the new Scout UL2 Monday and received it Thursday. Set it up in my backyard and was disappointed with its layout. The specs and pictures on BA's website do not show a side view or top down view that would show the lost space inside the tent. The space between the two trekking poles is only about 5' so you cannot lay in the middle of the tent, which was my reason to purchase this tent to use as a one person. Attached below is my response to Big Agnes and suggestions for revisions.

Hey All,
Just received my new Scout UL2 yesterday, set it up in the backyard and very disappointed. The pictures/specs shown on your website do not show the lost space of the roof line in the rear, the useless 5' space between the two trekking poles, and the about 9" height to crawl over to get in the tent.
I suggest you revise the tent by putting the "black spot" for the rear trekking pole all the way to the rear wall of the tent to gain additional useful floor space and consider changing the rear wall to perpendicular. Also, lower the entrance threshold to max of 6". With its current design I would not recommend it to my hiking friends. Other than the above, I like the tent.
Happy Trails
DeerPath :(

jaymann
02-08-2013, 13:24
Thanks for the review Deerpath. I just came across this tent and I was excited about it. At first glance, the old school look is appealing to me. I then looked into it further and really liked the weight, as I'm looking for a tent that I can use mostly as a solo, with room for second person from time to time. I was concerned about the rear pole because in the photos it did look like it wasn't placed close to the rear wall. Do you have any idea as to why BA didn't design it so that the rear pole could go on the outside of the tent like the front pole can?

DeerPath
02-08-2013, 14:36
Thanks for the review Deerpath. I just came across this tent and I was excited about it. At first glance, the old school look is appealing to me. I then looked into it further and really liked the weight, as I'm looking for a tent that I can use mostly as a solo, with room for second person from time to time. I was concerned about the rear pole because in the photos it did look like it wasn't placed close to the rear wall. Do you have any idea as to why BA didn't design it so that the rear pole could go on the outside of the tent like the front pole can?

IMHO it was designed with the rear pole inside because of the slope of the rear wall, (the tent roof ridge is shorter in length than the floor). After setup, I moved the trekking pole to the rear, but I'm not sure it would stay in position and not collapse in a storm. This tent is fine for two people sleeping on opposed sides of the trekking poles, but I purchased it thinking it would be a large one person tent. I got a response from Big Agnes saying my review would be forwarded to the Tech. Dept.. Also, Just so you know, I am a fan of Big Agnes, I have the Copper Spur 1 & 2, Fly Creek 1 and now Scout 2, so it pained me to offer this review.

FamilyGuy
02-16-2013, 22:09
This isn't a review. Have you used it in the field? BA would not release a shelter unless it was tested in the field. A lot. Recommend you try the same.

Or change the heading to First Impressions.

DeerPath
02-17-2013, 14:00
This isn't a review. Have you used it in the field? BA would not release a shelter unless it was tested in the field. A lot. Recommend you try the same.

Or change the heading to First Impressions.

Hey FamilyGuy.

Sorry it didn't meet your standard for a "review", but some of us are able to figure things out without going to the field.

Have a nice day and Happy Trails

leaftye
03-13-2013, 04:57
Thanks for the mini review. At first glance this tent is something to get excited about, but the flaws you found are significant. Hopefully they revise this tent.

slbirdnerd
03-13-2013, 08:26
I appreciated DeerPath's review and I posted my thoughts on another thread after mine came, with pics, as well. I think the tent will work great for some and not for others. It got the thumb's up form Backpacker.

bayoutrail
11-03-2014, 20:31
Deerpath, have you taken a look at the Scout Plus UL2? There seems to be significant number of improvements. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

q-tip
11-04-2014, 13:04
Can you set this up with the poles on the outside of the tent??? Curious.... Crawling inside to set up looks like a pain...

bayoutrail
11-04-2014, 13:50
Can you set this up with the poles on the outside of the tent??? Curious.... Crawling inside to set up looks like a pain...

The Scout Plus UL2 allows both in and out... Not sure about the original Scout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
11-04-2014, 13:56
The Scout requires you to climb inside the tent to set up the 2nd pole because the design requires the 2nd pole to be inside the tent (as per the complaint of the op).
The Scout Plus has the 2nd pole on the outside of the tent and therefore doesn't require you to climb inside to set it up.
Big Agnes Setup Instructions for all three versions of the Scout (https://www.bigagnes.com/resources/products/2014%20Scout%20UL2_SetUpInstructions2.pdf)