PDA

View Full Version : Deals Gap>Tapoco Dam

blisterbob
02-08-2013, 13:32
I'm thinking about a day hike thru here in a week or so.
Has anyone been on this section lately?, trail conditions?

Thanks,
bb

SGT Rock
02-08-2013, 15:44
I have not. I'd recommend starting at Deals Gap and hiking down to the dam because it would be slightly easier. Last summer I helped brush out part of that section because a few years back there was a fire and it has created conditions where brush grows quickly on the old fire scarred area. I hope it is still clear for you. That section with the brush is only a portion of this section, the majority of this part is old road and is normally very easy to traverse. I'd bring enough water for the whole section since you are doing a small piece of the BMT. The water sources in this section are not great.

Tipi Walter
02-08-2013, 16:12
Make sure you bring ear plugs or an iPod as even in the winter the motorcycle noise will be hateful.

blisterbob
02-08-2013, 17:21
Thanks,
I'll check it out and give a report.
By the way, I was born and raised in that neck of the woods
and I screamed through the dragon in a 47 ford before it was a dragon.
you can take the boy out of the mountains, but.....

Tipi Walter
02-08-2013, 18:02
Thanks,
I'll check it out and give a report.
By the way, I was born and raised in that neck of the woods
and I screamed through the dragon in a 47 ford before it was a dragon.
you can take the boy out of the mountains, but.....

If the Head Retards get their way, they'll build Interstate 3 thru there which will ruin the Slickrock and Hangover Mt and all the rest.

blisterbob
02-18-2013, 14:35
Mon, 2/18/13, 7:30 AM, partly cloudy, 27 degrees, windy- Deals Gap
The first half of this hike was easy since it was on an old jeep rd. and they had kept it open and clear of most of the brush.
I was surprised to see as many water sources even in the wet season.
With the temp. and the wind I kept a rapid pace to keep the blood flowing to the extremities, so I did about 3 miles the first
hour. The second hour I was on the part of the trail where the wild fire had been and it had killed many of the trees and a lot
of them were across the trail and a lot of briers have started especially in the area where the power line crosses.
Even with the blowdowns I managed to do the 4.7 miles in 2.2 hrs. which is better than my comfort pace, maybe chill factor
in the teens had something to do with that.

SGT Rock
02-18-2013, 15:40
Thanks for the report. I'll pass it on to that section's maintainer.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2