PDA

View Full Version : Kids Hiking Shoes

FarmerChef
02-08-2013, 17:00
So it's that time of year again - time to go looking for another set of shoes for the kids' next hiking season. Last time through, we bought New Balance road running shoes hoping they would be built with similar quality to our first set of NB runners my wife and I used for 750 miles of trail. But the kids' NBs didn't last quite that long and their feet grew. Now it's time to find a new pair for each of them (age 12 down to 7).

Anybody got any recommendations on good sturdy trail running style shoes for kids who do about 600 miles of trail a year?

buldogge
02-10-2013, 01:23
We've had good luck with NB 573 trail runners for my 6yo (currently sz 3)...his feet grow before they wear out...so zero issues so far.

-Mark in St. Louis

FarmerChef
02-10-2013, 12:45
Thanks that's good to know. Finding quality kids shoes is such a challenge when it comes to the trail. Buying 4 pairs at a time, I really want to know I'm getting my money's worth before they outgrow them.

JAK
02-10-2013, 15:17
Very hard to find in smaller sizes. My 13 year old daughter is still in size Youth size 3 or 4.
Gotta think outside of the box with kids. Thinking of carrying 2 pair for her, one really light.
I would never go that route for myself, but for her maybe 1pr for wet weather and 1pr for dry.

MamaBear
02-10-2013, 16:05
My son has worn both Merrell Moab Ventilators (http://www.zappos.com/merrell-kids-moab-ventilator-lace-2-toddler-youth-walnut)and Salomon XA Pro 2 (http://www.zappos.com/salomon-boys-shoes~2), both in kids sizes. He's just on that line between kid and adult sizes and his Salomons actually fit me. He put a good 300 miles on each pair of shoes. I just asked him what he thought so that you could get his take on the shoes. His preference is the Salomons because they dry quicker, the grip is better (at least on NH rocks), and has a quick lace system (like the adult version), plus he said they felt better on his feet. Of course, YMMV with his last reason, what works for one person might not work for another. I've got to replace his shoes this spring, too, and he's asking for a larger pair of Salomons.

G-FOURce
02-11-2013, 21:19
My 10 year old son wears Salomon XA Pro 2 trail shoes and loves them. He was wearing Merrell Chameleons, which he also liked, but he prefers the XA P2s.