PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Exos 58 vs 46

jrabbott
02-09-2013, 16:14
I am looking at both of these packs for section hikes this summer. Does anyone have experience with either one? I am 5'11" 175...the large at REI fit me great and is ultra light!!! Just looking for feedback on the packs and which one I should go with. Usually buy everything on EBay!!!

Thanks!!

rocketsocks
02-09-2013, 16:41
Just orderd the Exos 58 in a lg. could have got it cheaper here, but see what you can find, many places are selling for $219

"Slowmind" shot me this link last night, I looked at the 46, and for me..just wasn't ready to go that low...to a sceard right now, gotta get my gear right first....In a way, I'll achieve this by putting the cart before the horse, so now I'm forced to change, or suffer flatulence.;)

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-09-2013, 16:47
I have the Exos 58 & I love it. great pack. It is light & yet is is not just a bag with straps, it has some of the 'nice' extras that make living with it just more convenient eg. pockets on the hip belt for camera, snacks etc.

The frame is very rigid compared to most other lightweight packs so I would be very careful to make sure it fits you well. I could see some people not being very comfortable with it. Load it up with your typical pack weight & leave it on for a while before you buy one. Packs are like shoes, I prefer to buy them in store rather than online so I can make sure they fit.

Also, it is a typical lightweight pack, the materials are not super durable & you will need to take care of it. (Not a criticism of this pack)

I went for the 58 rather than the 46 just to have a bit more room. All my gear will fit into the 46, but if I am out for more than just couple of days, my food bag makes the 46 just a bit too tight..especially once the hiker appetite kicks in :)

rocketsocks
02-09-2013, 16:57
I have the Exos 58 & I love it. great pack. It is light & yet is is not just a bag with straps, it has some of the 'nice' extras that make living with it just more convenient eg. pockets on the hip belt for camera, snacks etc.

The frame is very rigid compared to most other lightweight packs so I would be very careful to make sure it fits you well. I could see some people not being very comfortable with it. Load it up with your typical pack weight & leave it on for a while before you buy one. Packs are like shoes, I prefer to buy them in store rather than online so I can make sure they fit.

Also, it is a typical lightweight pack, the materials are not super durable & you will need to take care of it. (Not a criticism of this pack)

I went for the 58 rather than the 46 just to have a bit more room. All my gear will fit into the 46, but if I am out for more than just couple of days, my food bag makes the 46 just a bit too tight..especially once the hiker appetite kicks in :)So glad to here this, been wanting a new pack for a looong time. I was kinda hoping the extra room would com in handy for the reasons you said, and to carry some of my luxury items...extra town shirt, one book, food o'coarse, and maybe an extra heavier jacket for colder weather....appreciate your comments and incite.:)

Post script; read some pretty bad reviews, but most seemed to deal with what you suggest...Do Not Over Load.

kevin wells
02-09-2013, 17:49
I have a 46 large. So its actually 48. My base without consumables is about 15#. It works great for me and love the quick stow for trekking poles. It is tight with food but it forces me to cut pack weight.

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-09-2013, 18:17
So glad to here this, been wanting a new pack for a looong time. I was kinda hoping the extra room would com in handy for the reasons you said, and to carry some of my luxury items...extra town shirt, one book, food o'coarse, and maybe an extra heavier jacket for colder weather....appreciate your comments and incite.:)

Post script; read some pretty bad reviews, but most seemed to deal with what you suggest...Do Not Over Load.

yes, I find the 58 better for winter trips when I have a bulkier sleeping bag & more clothing.

I did replace the buckle on the hip belt when I got it. The standard buckle is one of those small, lightweight cut-away ones & it just worried me that it would break on a trip. I replaced it with a standard one. Luckily the design of the straps means you can do this easily with no need for cutting/stitching of the waist belt.

jrabbott
02-09-2013, 18:25
I have a 46 large. So its actually 48. My base without consumables is about 15#. It works great for me and love the quick stow for trekking poles. It is tight with food but it forces me to cut pack weight.

I was leaning towards the bigger pack since I might be packing extra stuff for my tag alongs on 2 or 3 nights...but like you stated it forces you to cut pack weight and make those decisions on what are necessities vs luxuries. This is a great discussion as most of the others on the PACK threads are for ULA packs but I really like the Osprey Exos........

rocketsocks
02-09-2013, 18:28
yes, I find the 58 better for winter trips when I have a bulkier sleeping bag & more clothing.

I did replace the buckle on the hip belt when I got it. The standard buckle is one of those small, lightweight cut-away ones & it just worried me that it would break on a trip. I replaced it with a standard one. Luckily the design of the straps means you can do this easily with no need for cutting/stitching of the waist belt.Excelent idea, that looked a little substandard to me too. I do like how the belt splits to help form and guide the inherent design of the hip pads, but again that buckle looked spooky. +1 Kaptain K

Matt2012
02-09-2013, 18:51
I took the large 46 on my thru hike last year. Winter base weight with no consumables was 17lbs, summer was 14lbs. I never had to strap anything to the outside. The heaviest my pack got was somewhere in the low 30s but was usually high teens.

My big items were the following.

Marmot atom 40 with liner
Tarptent rainbow
Big Agnes tall insulated air core
Down Patagonia sweater
Marmot precip
13 L food bag

I think you should go to rei with your gear and load one up to see what works for you.

In the end, I loved the pack. I did have some wear, mainly with holes in the mesh and hip belt pockets but I also threw this thing around without worrying about the toughness.
Best of all is that after I got home, I contacted Osprey for repairs. I sent them my old pack and they ended up sending me a new one!

Keep in mind Rei will have a 20% off in march so it could be cheaper there instead of eBay.

Matt2012
02-09-2013, 18:53
I had no issues with the small hip buckle.

Captain Skivvies
02-09-2013, 19:18
I like my Exos but it is a lightwieght pack and doesn't handle bigger loads very comfortably. Otherwise no complaints at all.

jrabbott
02-10-2013, 19:33
I like my Exos but it is a lightwieght pack and doesn't handle bigger loads very comfortably. Otherwise no complaints at all.
What do you think the max load is with this pack?

kevin wells
02-10-2013, 20:17
Max load they say is 30#. But u could go heavier. The shoulder straps are thin so it becomes slightly uncomfortable after a while. As long as I stay under that its a remarkable pack. I have nothing bad to say. But that's me. HYOH

rocketsocks
02-10-2013, 20:44
Max load they say is 30#. But u could go heavier. The shoulder straps are thin so it becomes slightly uncomfortable after a while. As long as I stay under that its a remarkable pack. I have nothing bad to say. But that's me. HYOHI was wondering the same about the shoulder straps, and see some in photos wearing additional padding, always an option I spose.

nastynate
02-10-2013, 22:05
With my synthetic bag and synthetic sleeping layers, there is no way I could fit a food bag in a 46. My 58 is just big enough. I have a minimal gear list, but bulky.

colorado_rob
02-10-2013, 23:00
I own the Exos 46, and it is definitely my go-to pack for trips when 25-30 pounds total weight suffices (summer BP trips with a max of 6-7 days of food). I really like the pack overall.

That being said, I personally would not carry more than 30 lbs, tops. My 46 starts to get uncomfortable over about 25. Basically, the straps are not padded enough nor is the hip belt supportive enough for heavier loads. And looking at the two packs side-by-side on REI.com, the 58 looks to have the same straps and belt as the 46, so I would say the same thing about the Exos 58; 25-30 pounds, tops.

Mfrenchy
02-11-2013, 01:45
Hey Jrabbit, I Thru-Hiked this past season with a medium Exos 46 and loved it. I am 5'10" and was 175lbs when I finished, but started at 200lbs. I would not have wanted a larger pack at all. My max weight was probably around 25 to 28 pounds, but that was with cold weater clothes in the beginning with a full food bag. I tried a large before I left, but it was too long on my torso so I went with the medium.

http://youtu.be/RfzMA85T4Ac

skinewmexico
02-11-2013, 02:08
I moved the same load from a 46, to a GG Mariposa Plus, to a Jam2. I thought the 46 was going to cut me in two. Most uncomfortable pack I've ever owned with 25#. Sold my 46 to finance a ULA Circuit, and my 58 to buy a ULA Catalyst. Couldn't be happier, and I helped some people in Utah make a payroll.

jrabbott
02-11-2013, 15:39
[QUOTE=Mfrenchy;1414741]Hey Jrabbit, I Thru-Hiked this past season with a medium Exos 46 and loved it. I am 5'10" and was 175lbs when I finished, but started at 200lbs. I would not have wanted a larger pack at all. My max weight was probably around 25 to 28 pounds, but that was with cold weater clothes in the beginning with a full food bag. I tried a large before I left, but it was too long on my torso so I went with the medium.

Thanks!!! That was enlightening!! I really want to keep the big three under 3 lbs ea!!!! gave me some great ideas!!

CarlZ993
02-11-2013, 18:42
I own the 58. I've done quite a bit of hiking in it. It's okay for the most part. The shoulder straps are a bit thin. On longish hikes, however, the waist belt gets to me too big for my waist. This happened on my 185M hike in the Sierras last summer. As I lost weight, I couldn't properly cinch down the waist belt. I felt more of the pack weight on my shoulders. I'm not carrying it on my thru-hike because of that issue.

Note: I was about 5 - 10 lbs heavier when I bought the pack. I always lose weight on my longish hikes. It scares me what I'll lose on the thru-hike.

rocketsocks
02-12-2013, 14:06
So the new pack came today...Exos 58, it has all the features I wanted, and is light and comfortable. It is a large and is not as big as you might think,at 3700 cu. it is the perfect bag for a thru-hike or some winter hiking with room enough for a food bag that won't leave you hungry through the 100 wilderness or a cold snow bound stay

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-13-2013, 01:13
So the new pack came today...Exos 58, it has all the features I wanted, and is light and comfortable. It is a large and is not as big as you might think,at 3700 cu. it is the perfect bag for a thru-hike or some winter hiking with room enough for a food bag that won't leave you hungry through the 100 wilderness or a cold snow bound stay

Ahhh, the joy...........opening that package & seeing the shiny new piece of gear........... and then taking a knife to it & cutting off half the straps !!!

Have fun !!! :)

rocketsocks
02-13-2013, 01:21
Ahhh, the joy...........opening that package & seeing the shiny new piece of gear........... and then taking a knife to it & cutting off half the straps !!!

Have fun !!! :)
It's so light...I might even leave em UN-cut :)

The Gambler
02-13-2013, 14:30
i am 6'... 175 lbs...i carried a medium exos 58 and loved it on my sobo thru...and yes i did cut all ..well most of the straps off..thought i would wear a large but after being measured & fitted at my outfitter (with 30 lbs) i was found to be right on the edge between the lg & med...upon his recommendation i took the medium...fit perfect....best pack i have ever used....the golite breeze...lowe alpine countor IV...gregory reality X will all be collecting dust

InTheWind
02-13-2013, 22:19
Got a 46 and finally got every last bit of gear. I tried to put together 5 days of food, 2L water, etc., and shes packed to the brim at 29lbs. I think it will work, but I'm a bit concerned I'll get out there and realize I need a bit more space.

Del Q
02-13-2013, 22:29
I bought the Exos 58 for a few reasons:

Have pretty significant back and right hip pain, have been using an ULA pack which is great, but I think that I will benefit from more frame support. Next section hike will tell the tale.

There are a LOT of thru hikers using Osprey packs, after getting this one and a hands on inspection, this is a REALLY WELL THOUGHT OUT piece of gear.
Rediculous features.

Am totally sold on having pockets on hip belt, that eliminates a lot of packs.

Lastly, had some extra Holiday money and bought myself a gift, the best kind of gift, new hiking gear

Athensm50
02-24-2013, 21:06
I bought an Exos 46.....took it out on one trip and had to have my buddy get my water out of my side pocket.....had a bladder in it...and once all of it was gone....I was switching to bottles....if my buddy would have not been there to get it out...I would have had to take off the pack to get water!.....that stunk!!!.....took it back to REI for a Gregory Baltoro...LOVE IT

rocketsocks
03-08-2013, 06:58
I bought an Exos 46.....took it out on one trip and had to have my buddy get my water out of my side pocket.....had a bladder in it...and once all of it was gone....I was switching to bottles....if my buddy would have not been there to get it out...I would have had to take off the pack to get water!.....that stunk!!!.....took it back to REI for a Gregory Baltoro...LOVE ITKinda surprised on that one, the Exos has a slot in the front of the pockets to allow for easy removal of a water bottle, the bottle can be slipped in the pocket vertically
http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/superlight/exos_series or as I said, they designed it to be able to be slid out the front opening with a scalloped vertical slit, there by allowing for greater ergonomics.

Zmaidment
03-08-2013, 07:33
Got exos 46 M. Love it. As has been stated already, 30 lbs is about max for weight. I find there to be plenty of room. Rarely even used back zippered pocket.

rocketsocks
03-13-2013, 16:27
So the new pack came today...Exos 58, it has all the features I wanted, and is light and comfortable. It is a large and is not as big as you might think,at 3700 cu. it is the perfect bag for a thru-hike or some winter hiking with room enough for a food bag that won't leave you hungry through the 100 wilderness or a cold snow bound stayBoy did I do a flippity flip. So I returned the new Osprey Exos 58 today that I bought through the mail from EMS, customer servise was great, they even sent me a e-mail with my original packing slip info as I had misplaced mine. I purchased a large and really needed a medium, so I'm at my local store today (EMS) and saw the Osprey Atmos 65...little heavier but with the same design features that I like in the other pack. So now I'm a new owner of a Atmos 65L at 3lb 9oz, and 3967ci, about a pound heavier than the exos, and 200+ci lager for the meium, a little more ruggedly built, and it is an adjustable suspension so I can dail that puppy right in for maximum comfort, and big concern of mine...comfort. Suppose I'll deal with the added 1 pound difference.

Fullstep
03-14-2013, 20:51
I went from a Atmos 65 to the exos 48.. The 65 was just to BIG with a 12# base wt.and 26#totale wt.(4 days food with water)

And the 48 just fits better....

jrabbott
03-14-2013, 22:21
I went from a Atmos 65 to the exos 48.. The 65 was just to BIG with a 12# base wt.and 26#totale wt.(4 days food with water)

And the 48 just fits better....

Where do they make an Exos 48?? The ones I have seen are the 58 and 46.....................

jrabbott
03-16-2013, 21:04
Well all I went and "bit the bullet" and bought the Osprey Exos 58 from REI with a $20 coupon and my rebate!!! So I will not be into it too deep out of pocket! I went to the local REI in Greenville SC and made sure I was a size Med. Looking forward to it arriving next week.

Anybody else have any comments on the 58.....it feels great! (In the store ha ha!!)

Old Man Joe
03-17-2013, 10:07
Used the 58 on my 2010 hike and am still using it. Pros: relatively lightweight; side mesh pockets with top and side access are great for carrying water bottles (I use 3/4 liter Gatorade bottles that slip in and out easily but won't inadvertently fall out) - can access bottles without taking off pack or dislocating a shoulder trying to reach; hip belt mesh pockets are great for carrying smaller items (i.e., GORP, camera, etc.); pack will nicely hold everything if you keep your gear, plus food, weight under 35 pounds - even better at 30 lbs and under; inner and outer zip pockets on top are great for holding smaller items that require easy access, 2 large zippered outside pockets are great - I use them for storing the two parts of my tent and a groundsheet; no zipper problems; no strap problems (i.e., no fraying or separation at connection points); no hip belt clasp problems, even though it would seem to be a "weak" point.

Cons: shoulder straps and hip belt aren't as well padded as heavier packs - but, that's only a problem when you carry too much weight. As I lost weight (I was thin to begin with) I had to improvise and use small shoulder pads in addition to the pack's shoulder padding; suspension straps aren't easily accessible while wearing pack.

Other than normal wear and tear, plus some hungry mice gnawing on the hip belt mesh pockets, the pack is still as fuctional as when I purchased it.

Fo

Old Man Joe
03-17-2013, 10:08
Last line of my post should read, "For what it's worth".

Almost There
03-17-2013, 14:24
I have the 58, and have been using it since 2010. I'm a bigger guy about 6ft, 250 lbs, with a 50inch chest. (former football player/international wrestler). At my size the waist belt can be uncomfortable, but if loaded with the right weight, the pack is awesome. Keep thinking about switching to the VC Crown, but I like having a lid, and with a lid the VC Crown ends up weighing more. I love the screaming eagle, and also have an Aether 70 from 2007. I don't think you can go wrong with Osprey, if you only expect to use the pack as it is intended.

Rock Lobster
03-17-2013, 22:01
I just ordered the 46 today after trying out the 58 in the store. I liked the fit with a large (which makes my 46 a 49) and I tried throwing some gear from the store in the Kestrel 48 to make sure it would have enough room for my gear. (They didn't have the 46 in stock). After wearing the 58 around the store with 25 pounds of sandbags for half an hour, I hardly noticed it. I think I'm going to be really happy (and cutting 1.5 pounds from my total weight is pretty great too!)

jrabbott
03-22-2013, 22:01
Just got my Exos 58 today!! I am jacked!! It feels great and is so light. I am filling it up to see how it feels with 25lbs. I cant see any down sides right now in the design. We will see when I get out on the trail. Doing the Foothills trail in 2 weeks (78 mi).

The warranty tag looks like Osprey means business when backing up their product!!

poopsy
03-23-2013, 10:09
I'm glad this discussion is taking place. For me the problem isn't weight. The issue is bulk. It seems I can fit it into a 46 if I use compression sacks but throw and go looks like a better idea. I don't want to carry compression sacks and fiddle with them every morning. I've got a 3lb down bag for colder weather but a synthetc bag for spring and fall when its wet. Both are bulky not heavy. Any one else worry about this?

Nooga
03-23-2013, 13:11
I'm glad this discussion is taking place. For me the problem isn't weight. The issue is bulk. It seems I can fit it into a 46 if I use compression sacks but throw and go looks like a better idea. I don't want to carry compression sacks and fiddle with them every morning. I've got a 3lb down bag for colder weather but a synthetc bag for spring and fall when its wet. Both are bulky not heavy. Any one else worry about this?

I agree with you. I don't like compression sacks. They add weight and also I don't think they are good for down bags. I prefer a larger stuff sack for my down bags vs smaller ones. Additionally, like you I have light gear that is bulky. I have a cuben fibre tent that only weight 21oz, but does not pack very small. I went with the 58 for these reasons.

aviator60
03-24-2013, 10:11
I bought the 58 because I often times take my 6 year old daughter and have to carry some of her stuff. When I'm solo I just cinch down the compression straps and away we go.

infini
07-21-2013, 18:50
I am also between the Exos 46 and 58. The difference in specs (except the added capacity) is minimal: the 58 is 75 x 36 x 30cm and the 46 is 70 x 35 x 30cm. 5cm taller for added 12lt is not a problem. The Exos is the only light pack i found searching in the internet that has a breathable frame, although i agree that the shoulder straps are not well padded.

infini
07-21-2013, 18:52
Forgot to say that my tent is a Tarptent Moment, very light but when packed is 50cm long.

SouthMark
07-21-2013, 20:53
I did the 100 mile wilderness with the Exos 34 and had no problems getting all my gear in it and my food. I left Katahdin Stream Campground with 19 lbs 13 oz. I partially resupplied at WHL. I no longer use the 34 though as I now use a Gossamer Gear Murmur for almost all of my hiking except the few real winter trips.

infini
07-23-2013, 08:45
The problem with packs that have a frame like this, is that the internal space of the pack is somewhat divided in the middle of it, because of the shape. For example if you put a 2-litre bladder, it is very difficult to push down a sleeping pad or a sleeping bag because in the middle the pack gets much narrower because of the frame shape.

G2outdoors
02-06-2014, 11:56
I picked up a 58 for $75...what a deal! I love this thing. I've used it in the winter and it did fine. You will notice that the frame squeaks a bit. I've read that in multiple places and found it to be true for me as well. A little duct tape is all you need to silence it.

It's a little too big for a summer bag. I'm thinking of picking up the ULA Ohm for summer forays.

DandT40
02-06-2014, 12:24
I picked up a 58 for $75...what a deal!

Where was that at?! New? Would love to get in on that deal!

G2outdoors
02-06-2014, 13:03
Used from a friend of mine who hurt her knee halfway through her nobo thru. She said she'd rather it get used than sitting in her garage.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ChuckT
04-28-2014, 05:22
I have an Exos 58 large. I think it's more like a 42 liter. I mean that the main bag is not 58 liters. They list it as 58 by adding the max capacities of all the pockets to that of the main bag.
I bought mine, used, because I wanted the mesh panel. I have also found that the waist belt is made for a more modest waist than mine and the pockets are further back on the belt than would be ideal. As usual YRMV.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Del Q
04-28-2014, 20:09
58. I am typically at about 30 lbs all in, would not want a smaller pack.

Do not like to cram stuff in, have my gear list + food, it is what it is............prefer the larger option here

Great pack

Nooga
04-30-2014, 09:52
I carry a 58 and really like it. Good thing is that if not needed, I can leave the lid at home and save 4 oz, which is typically how I usually carry it.

ChuckT
05-05-2014, 05:14
The 58 is not quite big enough (capacity) for me and I dislike hanging stuff on the outside of any pack I've owned. I'm going to look at the Xenith 88.

ChuckT
05-05-2014, 05:17
I did a quick calc of the dimensions on both the Exos and the Xenith and they didn't come out to the listed figures.

daddytwosticks
05-05-2014, 07:09
I have a newer model (2014) Exos 48. It swallows my gear. I'm not ultralight, just a lightweight. :)

ChuckT
05-05-2014, 09:41
If memory serves the old Backpacker magazine had a discussion of pack capacity.
The conclusion was that the capacity was described by the advertising dept. and couldn't be relied on to be accurate or similar between vendors.

Namtrag
05-05-2014, 12:56
I got a Talon 44 2013 closeout at Christmas time, and it easily holds more than my 60 liter Volt. I am not sure how the figure volume out anyway. I can't imagine pouring 22 2 liter bottles of Pepsi into my backpack and not having it overflow lol

If you can still find this pack, it's a steal. I paid $99 at REI

Venchka
05-06-2014, 23:25
I did a quick calc of the dimensions on both the Exos and the Xenith and they didn't come out to the listed figures.

Published numbers and real world numbers rarely match. I have a pound and a half of extra weight that wasn't mentioned in the catalogs. Now that I have a digital scale that will not happen again.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

ChuckT
05-12-2014, 11:24
Still curious as to why the numbers don't match I took a tape measure to my (older) Eros 58, Large. No I didn't try any fancy math to calculate the volume of a curved shape. Mine - is
27" high by 14" wide by 7" deep. The 2014 Exos 58 Large is _listed_ at 32x14x14. Quite a difference.

ratherbclimbin
05-12-2014, 12:16
I am currently hiking the AT with the Exos 58 and it is wonderful. Very comfortable and durable lightweight and has so many well thought features. I highly recommend it. I am 6' tall 195 with a 19.75 inch torso and use the large and it fits perfectly. Good luck