PDA

View Full Version : How am I doing on clothes?

Chevy
02-09-2013, 16:27
Ok so I need to make sure that I have the right amount of clothes for my thru hike. Mid March NOBO.

I will be wearing:

Smart wool phd hiker socks (I think that's what they are, the lightweight ones.)
some type of lightweight pants. most likely kuhl revolver. don't have yet.
Performance long sleeve tee. 100% polyester, breathable, lightweight
UA mesh style underwear.

What I will carry:

heavy smart wool socks for sleeping in on cold nights
extra hiking socks
mid base layer top and bottom for sleeping in on cold nights
down jacket or some other insulation layer for cold nights. I don't have this yet. recommendations would be nice.
lightweight shorts in case the pants are too hot to hike in and to wear in town while doing laundry. May not bring these.
poncho for when it starts to rain.

This is what I have and was just wondering what you guys think. I still need to get a jacket of some sort and maybe another layer for hiking in on colder days. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Smooth & Wasabi
02-11-2013, 17:51
Nice simple list, looks pretty good.

I would personally add 1 extra pair of hiking socks, warm hat or buff, liner gloves, and waterproof glove or mitten shells.

Have you hiked much in a poncho? Mid march can still be plenty cold in the mountains, I would personally bring a light rain suit.

I really like a hooded puffy, so much more warmth for the slight weight. Most reputable companies have quality ones, for me it is all about value vs weight. I have a primaloft First Ascent Igniter and a down Stoic Hadron because they were nice and cheap(50$ each on clearance). I usually decide between the two based on whether the sleeping bag I am using is down or synthetic as I like to have a mix in my insulation for longer and/or colder trips.

You could get convertable pants instead of carrying shorts and pants depending on your preference.

You mention another layer for hiking on colder days. You could hike in your midweight baselayer or similar, wear a raincoat, or as I often do carry an ul windbreaker(sometimes a controversial reccomendation). If you are going with the poncho I would think about a windbreaker.

Have a great hike.

Chevy
02-11-2013, 20:54
I forgot to mention a hat and gloves. I will be bringing a hat and 1 pair of gloves.

I haven't hiked in the poncho before so I don't know if it is the best option for me. I like the idea of the poncho because it would cover me and my pack so I wouldn't need a pack cover. It also can be used as a tarp/shelter if I needed it to be. What is a good lightweight rain jacket that doesn't cost a lot?

I think that I will go with a down jacket with a hood. Like you said it is worth the little extra weight for the warmth. I just need to get to a store and try some on.

The shorts would mainly be to wear while in town doing laundry. I mite not bring them I am not sure yet. I am not a big fan of shorts.

Thanks for the input.

R1ma
02-11-2013, 22:58
My only comment, but it's a personal one: Smartwool socks don't last long at all for me. I only get 300-400 miles before I've worn though the balls of my feet.

REI multisport socks have lasted forever for me though.

Don H
02-12-2013, 09:19
You won't need shorts for months, I'd go with a pair of convertible pants. I'd loose the poncho and go with a lightweight rain jacket like Driducks and maybe a pair of wind pants. The wind pants you can also wear during rain and when you're doing laundry.

For socks I just carry three pair all the same, two to wear hiking and one to sleep in, Smartwool Mid weight Hikers.

For an insulating jacket you can't beat a Montbell Thermawrap or the Patagonia Down Sweater.

Chevy
02-12-2013, 10:13
R1ma I will have to try those socks out once the ones I have get worn out.

Don H- I think that I will be trading the poncho out for a rain jacket and wind pants. I will be leaving the shorts at home as well.

Thanks for the advice.

DonnaWalken
02-14-2013, 04:29
Agree with Don H. Go for convertible pants. That way, if you need shorts, you've got them in a snap.

louisb
02-14-2013, 08:18
If you go with convertable pants be sure to try them out on a few long hikes first. When I tried them the zipper would rub my knee and found it annoying. I have been using the regular Golite long pants for a while and really like them.

--louis

Starchild
02-14-2013, 08:34
I have a question about if my setup will be warm enough for a first day of Spring NoBo, or will I need to go more. I have 2 lightweight fleece that I sometimes will wear one on top of the other, along with a hiking t-shirt base layer, used sometimes with Dryducks as a windbreak (and for rain) and a down jacket that likes to stay dry. That is one possible setup in it's warmest configuration I can think of. Is this even in the realm of possibilities of working well?

Zmaidment
12-03-2013, 01:50
My only comment, but it's a personal one: Smartwool socks don't last long at all for me. I only get 300-400 miles before I've worn though the balls of my feet.

REI multisport socks have lasted forever for me though.

Agreed. Pieces of crap. Darn tough last twice as long and are 100% replacable