PDA

View Full Version : Hubba durability

Labojo
02-09-2013, 17:27
Is the msr hubba more durable than the fly creek ul 1? I'm not sure which to buy. My primary concern is durability and how waterproof they are.

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-09-2013, 18:04
Well, they are both lightweight tents & I probably wouldn't buy either of them if durability was my primary concern. No lightweight gear will stand up to careless or rough use & will never last as long as equipment made from heavier, tougher materials.

Regarding waterproofness, that will depend both on the materials & the design. Just based on materials specs, the Hubba would seem to have a slight edge on waterproofness with 1500mm & 3000mm rating on fly & floor material compared to 1200mm & 1200mm for the Fly Creek.

But waterproofness also depends greatly on the user, how you pitch it & where you pitch it !

BradMT
02-10-2013, 17:48
Is the msr hubba more durable than the fly creek ul 1? I'm not sure which to buy. My primary concern is durability and how waterproof they are.

I have a 2012 Hubba HP and love it. Seems plenty durable to me, but I've always been careful with my tents and use a piece of Tyvek for a footprint. The Hubba worked great this past season in heavy rain and high wind above timberline.

brian039
02-10-2013, 18:16
My Hubba has survived an AT and Colorado Trail thru-hike. I think it's about on its last leg but I'm going to see how far it can get me on the PCT.

Tinker
02-10-2013, 18:21
The Hubba has a more usable vestibule (think in terms of getting into the tent in a rain storm). I'd go for a tent with a little more than a 1200 mm waterproofing on the floor. Whatever the waterproofing, it tends to wear thin at the entry point. The Fly Creek would be more likely to leak. The Hubba's the winner on both counts.

BradMT
02-12-2013, 09:07
I find the Hubba to be a brilliantly simple design. By ditching its OEM stuff sacks and using one Silnylon bag I've gotten mine to under 3lbs WITH Tyvek footprint. Will likely get carbon poes for it for an all-up weight of around 2lbs 9oz's.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86863-MSR-Hubba-HP&highlight=

BradMT
02-12-2013, 09:09
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa326/bradmacmt/HubbaHP.jpg

Pingus
02-12-2013, 09:13
My MSR Hubba is six years old and has a few thousand miles on it. If and when the time comes I'll definitely be buying another one.

HikerMom58
02-12-2013, 09:51
Another vote for the Hubba...it's a great lil tent.

echoes
02-12-2013, 17:30
I used a Hubba on the Colorado Trail and it showed no signs of wear after 500 miles. It survived many storms without a problem. I also have a Fly Creek UL 2. It's a nice tent, but definitely not as durable. Unless you want something lighter or a little more roomy, the Hubba is just about perfect.

BFI
02-12-2013, 17:35
Another vote for the Hubba, Snow and Rain didnt bother it.

BradMT
02-12-2013, 20:14
I'd also add I think the flycreek has less usable space than the Hubba, and definitely requires more stakes/guying.

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-13-2013, 01:09
I love my Hubba HP too..... a great, usable design & terrific performance for the weight....... but I would still say that it needs some care........ back to the OP.... what did you mean by "my primary concern is durability" ....... where & how do you plan to use your tent ? Then perhaps we could give some more specific advice about whether either of these tents might be suitable for you.

Cheers,

KK

Labojo
02-13-2013, 10:35
I will be using it for trips in north Georgia and tenn/nc. I will also be taking it to Utah next year. I don't plan on being rough with it and it will mainly be used for weekend trips; however, I don't want the tent to fall apart soon and have to spend a few hundred more dollars on a new tent.

Labojo
02-13-2013, 10:44
Also, I just purchased my first down bag, so I'm looking to keep it as dry as possible.

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-13-2013, 23:22
If you take some care with it, I think you will be very happy with the Hubba.

I find mine a very dry tent. It handles heavy rain well, the door is protected when you are entering & wind does not drive rain inside. I feel very confident with my down bag.

Labojo
02-17-2013, 15:19
This may seem like a dumb question. The tent floor is measured at 26 inches, my shoulders are 18 inches, so everytime I touch the tent wall will it knock condensation build up into the tent through the mesh?

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-18-2013, 21:33
This may seem like a dumb question. The tent floor is measured at 26 inches, my shoulders are 18 inches, so everytime I touch the tent wall will it knock condensation build up into the tent through the mesh?

Not a dumb question at all !

As far as knocking condensation off the inside of the fly goes...your shoulders won't have half the effect that a strong gusting wind will......:)

I have found that the mesh material is quite resistant to drops of water penetrating & have never had any come through.

leaftye
02-18-2013, 21:37
Others have recommended not being rough with the tent. That's good, but you also want to set up the tent correctly, especially when it's windy. A loosely pitched tent will make the tent do things it's not designed to do. Tie out loops are there to be used.