PDA

View Full Version : Will A Swiss Army Knife Be Good Enough ?

FeistyHikerGal
02-10-2013, 13:57
I was planning on a regular Swiss Army knife for my blade it features about a three inch blade, nail file, can opener, and both a philips n flathead screwdriver and I think that's suitable.

My father says that it's too small and not a suitable wilderness knife and insists I take his hunting knife which is like this big Buck Bowie type knife that must weight afew pounds by itself.

So will my little Swiss Army knife do or should I take daddy's hunting knife?

Mountain Mike
02-10-2013, 14:00
Some argue the swiss is overkill. It's more than enough for most needs. You will most likely find scissors the most used item on it.

Feral Bill
02-10-2013, 14:03
I use the smallest Swiss Army Knife. It's all you need. I expect your dad want's you to have a weapon, which is another discussion.

Dogwood
02-10-2013, 14:12
The Swiss Army knife with those features IS ENOUGH. Tell your father, "dad, I know you mean well but why do I need a large heavy wilderness RAMBO type hunting/survival knife when I'm not hunting anything and I'm really not going to be in deep wilderness? The AT is within 60 miles or so of large towns/cities on a consistent basis." You are 31 yrs old and have the User name FiestyHikerGal. It's time to start living up to your age and that name!

leaftye
02-10-2013, 14:49
A razor blade is almost too much for some people.

How many phillips and flat head screws will you be screwing? How many cans will you open? Will you use the nail file?

For me, the answer is "non" or "no" to all of the above.

FeistyHikerGal
02-10-2013, 14:51
The Swiss Army knife with those features IS ENOUGH. Tell your father, "dad, I know you mean well but why do I need a large heavy wilderness RAMBO type hunting/survival knife when I'm not hunting anything and I'm really not going to be in deep wilderness? The AT is within 60 miles or so of large towns/cities on a consistent basis." You are 31 yrs old and have the User name FiestyHikerGal. It's time to start living up to your age and that name!

I know but you know how fathers are in his eyes I will always be daddy's little girl actually they both think I am crazy but I told my parents this is something I just have to do to get it out of my head.

FeistyHikerGal
02-10-2013, 14:53
A razor blade is almost too much for some people.

How many phillips and flat head screws will you be screwing? How many cans will you open? Will you use the nail file?

It's just the basic Swiss Army Knife not the deluxe one with everything I have also thought about a Leatherman but that's even bulkier

tiptoe
02-10-2013, 14:58
I carry one like this, and it's more than adequate. The scissors comes in handy for cutting moleskin; the blade for salami and cheese. the tweezers for removing ticks and splinters. It's small and light.
http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/swiss-army/victorinox/swiss-army-knives/everyday/swiss-army-classic-sd

Chuckie V
02-10-2013, 15:06

This is all you need, unless of course self-defense is a legitimate concern of your dad's (or your's). It's a hair over two-inches long and weighs about an ounce. It won't stop an attacker, but few knifes or guns will, since they're the only ones who know what's about to go down.

Slo-go'en
02-10-2013, 15:07
Basic Swiss army knife is more then adequate. Leatherman multi-tool is not needed.

I perfer a small, 2" pocket knife with locking blade. Scissors are real handy, I carry a small pair of those.

JAK
02-10-2013, 15:08
Take your daddy's hunting knife, and walk with a pleasant smile and a hefty stick.

BirdBrain
02-10-2013, 15:13
You need one with tick removers (pliers) like this one. Also has Phillips tip, slotted tip, file, scissors, wire cutters, and the blade. It's a Leatherman Squirt ps4. It weighs about 4 oz.

Slo-go'en
02-10-2013, 15:14
Or you can get one of these, which I got as a Christmas present - umm, er thanks this will come in real handy...

Dogwood
02-10-2013, 15:17
I know but you know how fathers are in his eyes I will always be daddy's little girl actually they both think I am crazy but I told my parents this is something I just have to do to get it out of my head.

Does Dad also own firearms or possess a black belt in Karate? I feel sorry for the guy that shows up on your doorstep for Thansgiving Dinner. Better tread lightly. Have a great hike FeistyHikerGal.

Dogwood
02-10-2013, 15:19
LOL. Slo Go 'en, never know when you require two separate saws and a hex head wrench while hiking.

Mountain Mike
02-10-2013, 15:21
Or you can get one of these, which I got as a Christmas present - umm, er thanks this will come in real handy...
That will come in handy for nailing down non free-standing tents in the Whites. Do you recomend 20d or 16d?

Wise Old Owl
02-10-2013, 15:23
Take your dad's knife and leave it at home - He will feel better, nobody needs to be wiser. - This isn't survival - although I disagree with the above posts the Micro Swiss is prone to break -

Dogwood
02-10-2013, 15:26
Slo go 'en is it UL? Got to keep a hatchet, saw(s), knife, wrench, etc etc etc under two lbs you know. What do these Chinese companies think we're doing over here in the states? - going on hikes chopping and sawing everything down in our paths? Unloosening/tightening every hex head bolt that we come across?

Slo-go'en
02-10-2013, 15:34
Slo go 'en is it UL? Got to keep a hatchet, saw(s), knife, wrench, etc etc etc under two lbs you know. What do these Chinese companies think we're doing over here in the states? - going on hikes chopping and sawing everything down in our paths? Unloosening/tightening every hex head bolt that we come across?

It's *only* 11 oz and 6" long! "This deluxe multi tool featuring a dual axe head with spike hammer is a must have at any campsite." (Always wear safety goggles)

mountain squid
02-10-2013, 15:37
My father says that it's too small and not a suitable wilderness knife and insists I take his hunting knife which is like this big Buck Bowie type knife that must weight afew pounds by itself.What does he expect you to do with it . . . . Wrassle' a B'ar ?!?!:eek::rolleyes:

All you'll likely need a knife for is slicing the occasional bagel, spreading some pnut butter from time to time, and other minor tasks along the way.

A small Swiss Army knife with scissors and tweezers should be sufficient. Scissors can be used to clip your nails and the tweezers can be used to remove the inevitable tick.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)

maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)
how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

topshelf
02-10-2013, 15:40
if you cant justify using all the tools, then you dont need it

jeffmeh
02-10-2013, 15:41
You need one with tick removers (pliers) like this one. Also has Phillips tip, slotted tip, file, scissors, wire cutters, and the blade. It's a Leatherman Squirt ps4. It weighs about 4 oz.

I'm a fan of this one also, but I think you are overstating the weight. 1.9 oz. on my scale.

bigcranky
02-10-2013, 15:44
I carry the smallest Swiss Army Knife, the one with the tiny blade and scissors. The scissors turn out to be the most useful item on most trips. Sometimes I also carry a small Gerber lock blade knife if I feel like I need a "real" knife (note to knife lovers, I do know that this is not considered a "real" knife) but it really only gets used to cut cheese or bagels. A big wilderness knife is not remotely necessary on the A.T.

Good luck and happy trails!

BirdBrain
02-10-2013, 15:44
I'm a fan of this one also, but I think you are overstating the weight. 1.9 oz. on my scale.

I hate it when I am wrong, but I am getting used to it. You are correct. 1.9 oz it is. Not sure where I got that number.

rusty bumper
02-10-2013, 15:46
I carried a small Swiss army knife...the one with a blade, tweezers, toothpick, and screwdriver/file. In over 5 months on the trail, I think I used it 5 or 6 times. I carried in the ditty bag in my pack, not in my pocket. I never experienced the need for anything that was bigger or had more stuff on it.

rocketsocks
02-10-2013, 15:59
My swiss army knife weighs 3.5 onces and has the following...

2 blades large and small...I rarely use to small and keep it nice and sharp for a rainy dull day
can opener...never used it yet
bottle opener...not used yet
cork screw...not used
2 screw drivers ....lightly used, but never in a wooded setting
small wood saw...this I used
scissors..use all the time
awl...use all the time
hook (for wire twisting, or pulling on stuff)....very useful have used to pull on skate laces.
tooth pic...used a few times
Tweezers...all but useless, but have used

Surely I could get by with a smaller less options knife.

I wonder if there is a plan where you could get only the items you want on the SAK, I would think that would be a big hit...what say you?

ooh and the "wood saw", much quicker for fashoning trap triggers than whitling, in combo w/ the knife....very useful.

And I'd want the blade to be carbon steel no SS it blows, I'd rather carry a small stone

Dogwood
02-10-2013, 16:27
I was just going to say some Swiss Army Knives have small built in tweezers and pics(toothpicks or whatever you would like to pick at). Here's the Victorinox Driver I roll with on thru-hikes in the states. I have never required anything more than what's on this knife. They just added a locking big blade feature to this model. I think it's an improvement. I have NEVER specifically required scissors or a multitude of screwdrivers on a hike. I use the sharp small blade as a scissor substitute. I purposefully use the bigger blade for jobs that might dull it a bit and save the sharpness of the smaller blade for more precise cutting like on harder to cut mole skin.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=swiss+army+knife+with+toot+pick+and+tweez ers&qpvt=swiss+army+knife+with+toot+pick

Dogwood
02-10-2013, 16:28
Here it is: http://www.amphili.com/amphili/index.php/victorinox-swiss-army-driver-knife.html

leaftye
02-10-2013, 16:35
I wonder if there is a plan where you could get only the items you want on the SAK, I would think that would be a big hit...what say you?

I think so too, especially if they greatly improved the tweezers. I'd love it if they had a SAK nail clipper. Some people can use a blade or scissors, but I'm much more comfortable with clippers, and clippers are good for cuticles.

rocketsocks
02-10-2013, 16:46
I think so too, especially if they greatly improved the tweezers. I'd love it if they had a SAK nail clipper. Some people can use a blade or scissors, but I'm much more comfortable with clippers, and clippers are good for cuticles.I personaly would like these items;
knife
small magifyer
better tweezers
small metal file not a bastard
scissors
can opener...(just because you never no when your gonna run into a can of sweet peaches), but then I'd open them with a rock if I had to.
flossing dental tool....that you could charge up with your floss..forget the pic, and dirty fingers in the mouth.
I'm sure I'm forgetting something, oh yeah the awl....This I find very useful.

bobp
02-10-2013, 16:49
Will you use the nail file?

Some people hit the trail and all traces of civilised behaviour vanish :^)

I have found that judicious use of the nail file and scissors keep my toenails from wearing holes in my socks. There are, no doubt, ultra-light methods to accomplish these tasks. Still, I hate to see the nail file disrespected.

Tongue very firmly in cheek...

Carl Calson
02-10-2013, 16:52
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9NrdQAuTxcyK2xh3t5J7CdXtgvR7F0 4_4OBI1jLbaSNWqac0w the leatherman style is what i used and is perfect.

Carl Calson
02-10-2013, 16:54
^ 1.4 ounces, has everything you'll need. $20 +/-

Rocket Jones
02-10-2013, 17:06
I fall midway between the minimalists and big-blade crew. I carry the Swiss Army Fisherman (http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Fisherman-Pocket-Knife/dp/B00007E8F3) model. The scissors are by far the most used tool, but I carry the same knife every day I'm not going to the airport, so it's habit and it feels odd not to have it with me. I did buy a Leatherman Squirt S4 (with the scissors), but it just seemed too small for me. That might change as I get used to it, but I still reach for the SAK more often than not when packing.

bert304
02-10-2013, 17:10
This is the Swiss army knife I carry: Victorinox Swiss Army Outrider Multi Tool
Here is a link to it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001P158K/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&redirect=true
It is on the larger size but I like it.

rocketsocks
02-10-2013, 17:12
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9NrdQAuTxcyK2xh3t5J7CdXtgvR7F0 4_4OBI1jLbaSNWqac0w the leatherman style is what i used and is perfect.I think men cannot walk by a knife and not look at it like a women would a new purse/or knife...and say "ooh, I like that".....And I dig it.

hikerboy57
02-10-2013, 17:13
if its kept the swiss army from losing wars for all this time, its good enough for me and my daughter.

rocketsocks
02-10-2013, 17:18
if its kept the swiss army from losing wars for all this time, its good enough for me and my daughter.:DThat's good..real good!

Tinker
02-10-2013, 17:20
An outdoorsman in Maine defended himself against a black bear that had him treed, dragged him down, left temporarily, came back to finish him off with a small jackknife (Swiss army or not, I can't remember). He had a tree between him and the bear, reached around the tree and stabbed the bear (I don't believe it said where, exactly) with the knife. After that the bear left, probably figuring that the guy wasn't worth the pain associated with the reward. This happened a few years ago and was prompted by the guy leaving a sandwich on a stump nearby. The bear was probably more interested in eating the sandwich than him.

So, yes, a Swiss army knife is more than enough, imo. If you need more protection bring a firearm (though there are many things to consider before deciding to carry concealed).

I carry a Victorinox Adventurer, which has a fairly long, sturdy blade (for stripping bark off of wet twigs for fire starting, and splitting those twigs for the same purposes). The blade also locks, preventing accidental closure over fingers, has a flat and phillips screw driver (which comes in handy sometimes for cross country skiing), and a can opener which is much better (my opinion, again) than the Wenger design (basically a copy of the military P-38).

It's relatively heavy.

I don't care.

I use every ounce of it.

Tinker
02-10-2013, 17:22
if its kept the swiss army from losing wars for all this time, its good enough for me and my daughter.

The Swiss have figured it out - If you don't get involved in wars, you don't have to lose them. :D

swjohnsey
02-10-2013, 17:36
They also give their adult male citizens an automatic assault rifle and a couple of hundred rounds of ammo to take home with 'em.

hikerboy57
02-10-2013, 17:38
They also give their adult male citizens an automatic assault rifle and a couple of hundred rounds of ammo to take home with 'em.

is that how they get the holes in the cheese? target practice?

hikerboy57
02-10-2013, 17:40

reality check
http://world.time.com/2012/12/20/the-swiss-difference-a-gun-culture-that-works/

Mags
02-10-2013, 17:48
For what it is worth, I am with Chucky and others and take a the Swiss Army Knife Classic on all my three-season trips.

As others noted, the scissors are the most useful item. :)

(For winter, I do take a Leatherman Kick. Skis need more maintenance than backpacking equipment)

Never felt the need to take a "real" knife for the backpacking I've done.

YMMV

rocketsocks
02-10-2013, 17:51
An outdoorsman in Maine defended himself against a black bear that had him treed, dragged him down, left temporarily, came back to finish him off with a small jackknife (Swiss army or not, I can't remember). He had a tree between him and the bear, reached around the tree and stabbed the bear (I don't believe it said where, exactly) with the knife. After that the bear left, probably figuring that the guy wasn't worth the pain associated with the reward. This happened a few years ago and was prompted by the guy leaving a sandwich on a stump nearby. The bear was probably more interested in eating the sandwich than him.

So, yes, a Swiss army knife is more than enough, imo. If you need more protection bring a firearm (though there are many things to consider before deciding to carry concealed).

I carry a Victorinox Adventurer, which has a fairly long, sturdy blade (for stripping bark off of wet twigs for fire starting, and splitting those twigs for the same purposes). The blade also locks, preventing accidental closure over fingers, has a flat and phillips screw driver (which comes in handy sometimes for cross country skiing), and a can opener which is much better (my opinion, again) than the Wenger design (basically a copy of the military P-38).

It's relatively heavy.

I don't care.

I use every ounce of it.You make a good point Tinker, if a blade is not locking...ouch, and unless your like Steven Segal, best to turn and walk away....and live to buy a locking blade another day.

'Bass
02-10-2013, 17:57
I carry a Swiss Army Knife that is 1.3 onces, has scissors, blade, tweezers, ect, plus nail clippers that work. Nice to have it all in one tool. I can't stand cutting nails with scissors.

Wise Old Owl
02-10-2013, 18:32
I didn't read the above post well - retracted...

Folks the 1.5 ounce Swiss is a Male Manicure set. It is easily broken at the pin support on the knife.

There isn't a better product out there as the Leatherman Squirt PS4 The file is larger and two sided Course and Fine.
The blade is stronger and the pin is thicker. The Pliers is wonderful for grabbing pots and working knots loose.

The sissors is sharper and I have both. The Swiss stays on the car key chain good salesman tool - the PS4 is in my pack, its a sturdy tool.

Deadeye
02-10-2013, 18:50
A swiss army knife is plenty. If you have a bunch of folks insisting you bring stuff (knives, guns, chairs, canoe paddles, whatever), just bring it and donate it to a church somewhere on the way to the start of the trail!

Dogwood
02-10-2013, 22:05
A swiss army knife is plenty. If you have a bunch of folks insisting you bring stuff (knives, guns, chairs, canoe paddles, whatever), just bring it and donate it to a church somewhere on the way to the start of the trail!

Or donate all that stuff to the Andersons for the Anderson Oasis on the PCT. Skulls, skeletons, camp/lawn chairs, pink flamingos, stuffed parrots, etc gladly accepted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu3xalakFGo

Dogwood
02-10-2013, 22:08
Gotta love it when you can stay/hike from the Saufleys to the Andersons. Two or three or four day, etc non-stop blast.

Odd Man Out
02-11-2013, 01:34
http://www.wengerna.com/giant-knife-16999

This is all you need :eek:

rocketsocks
02-11-2013, 01:45
http://www.wengerna.com/giant-knife-16999

This is all you need :eek:That always cracks me up. Brother, if a body can't get it done with that, it's probably not worth doin in the first place...too funny!

leaftye
02-11-2013, 02:01
Some people hit the trail and all traces of civilised behaviour vanish :^)

I have found that judicious use of the nail file and scissors keep my toenails from wearing holes in my socks. There are, no doubt, ultra-light methods to accomplish these tasks. Still, I hate to see the nail file disrespected.

Tongue very firmly in cheek...

Clippers work best for me. I don't have a problem with my toe nails wearing holes in my socks. I only file my finger nails when I'm going to be with a woman.

MuddyWaters
02-12-2013, 04:05
I carry only a derma-safe razor knife. 0.3 oz. Cant remember ever using it on the trail.

You need REAL metal tweezers, 0.33 oz, or a tick removal tool. The thin ones with a swiss army knife will not grip a tick well enough , they will barely grip a splinter, just try it.

Odd Man Out
02-12-2013, 13:02
I carry only a derma-safe razor knife. 0.3 oz. Cant remember ever using it on the trail.

You need REAL metal tweezers, 0.33 oz, or a tick removal tool. The thin ones with a swiss army knife will not grip a tick well enough , they will barely grip a splinter, just try it.

Last year I e-mailed both of the SAK manufacturers at their customer service e-mail address, suggesting they redesign their tweezers so they would function as a tick removal tool and included a link to a tick FAQ site. I recall both companies e-mailed back. If they got more feedback from customers like this, maybe it would have an impact.

mdschill
02-12-2013, 15:20
An outdoorsman in Maine defended himself against a black bear that had him treed, dragged him down, left temporarily, came back to finish him off with a small jackknife (Swiss army or not, I can't remember).

The bear came back to finish him off with a small jackknife?!? That is one resourceful, murderous bear.

Just Jack
02-12-2013, 15:49
You people are not giving enough importance to the most useful tool to have on the SAK--the corkscrew!!! How else are you going to open that bottle of wine at the end of the day--unless you remembered to buy a bottle with a
twist off cap. Get your priorities in order!

tds1195
02-12-2013, 16:33
You people are not giving enough importance to the most useful tool to have on the SAK--the corkscrew!!! How else are you going to open that bottle of wine at the end of the day--unless you remembered to buy a bottle with a

Yeah guys..c'mon! Alcohol comes first.

rocketsocks
02-12-2013, 17:21
twist off cap. Get your priorities in order!I only use ol' curly on the most unruliest of Bears.;)

Wise Old Owl
02-12-2013, 17:28

Oh no not again - my eye's! my eyes!

Odd Man Out
02-12-2013, 23:16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq7DBjCzSuE

all you need is a Sham Wow, a tree, a wine glass, and a Dobro.

Hikes in Rain
02-13-2013, 07:44
Hmm...not what I anticipated. Need to give that a try....just 'cause.

aficion
02-13-2013, 08:59

My thoughts exactly.