PDA

View Full Version : Gap Year?

macfriend
02-10-2013, 13:58
I am a junior in high school and would LOVE to thru-hike the AT. I am looking at taking a gap year after I graduate and working for half the year and then hiking the other half. I have a fair amount of wilderness experience from two years working as a guide-in-training in the Boundary Waters. I am mostly worried about safety as a young girl out there. I would be 19, and as of now I can’t find anyone to go with me. I also still Have to convince my parents to let me try. Would I be safe out there? Your thought and opinions?

evansprater
02-10-2013, 15:11
You'll be more than fine alone dude. I went alone and had an effing blast. Do it.

topshelf
02-10-2013, 15:26
so you looking at '14 or '15? SOBO or NOBO?

all hikers, no matter the age or gender, should be careful around strangers. if something doesnt seem right, trust your senses. if someone approaches you that you dont trust, that acts suspiciously, take measures to separate yourself from them. the trail is a relatively safe place with great people for the most part, but there are bad apples.

I would lie about my age, try and not look 19 in any way possible, no super pink cell phone cases and such typical teenage girls would carry. dont tell people you graduated HS last year. try to make connections through here or through a local trail club.

you can be safe, just use your wits.

bigcranky
02-10-2013, 15:51
A few things:

If you start at Springer in March, you won't be alone. There will be plenty of hikers out there, and the hiking community looks out for one another. If my own daughter were interested in a hike, I'd drive her to Springer myself.

There have been plenty of recent HS grads who completed successful hikes alone.

At 19 you could be fighting in Afghanistan. The AT is considerably easier. :)

One suggestion would be to make a reservation at The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, GA, for the night before you start. You'll meet other starting thru-hikers there, and you'll be able to begin your hike with some familiar faces.

Good luck. The AT makes a pretty good gap year, in my personal opinion.

Lady Grey
02-10-2013, 20:46
My son's college freshman roommate took a gap year and hiked the AT. He started with a friend but they eventually parted ways. He wrote a great trail journal in 2007 under the trail name "Pinky and the Brain". Here's the link: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5317. As a high school guidance counselor, I'd say go for it as a gap year - I've never spoken with any former students who've regretted their choice to take some time off between high school and college!

2NewKnees
02-10-2013, 21:51
Totally agree that you should go for it now. Too many issues as you go through life that get in the way. I wouldn't worry too much about anything or anybody on the trail. Just "Be Prepared" with food drops, rides, stays, etc. Don't think it really matters if you tell people you're 19 and just graduated. Don't know why anybody would care.

silvercricket
02-11-2013, 06:05
Do it! I graduated last June and am planning on starting my thru hike at the end of April. I'm currently traveling independently in Asia, which has been pretty amazing, but I'm really looking forward to coming home and finishing off the year by experiencing a little part of my own country. And after the chaos of Bangkok, escaping to the woods for a few months sounds really appealing! If you'll be 19, you'll be even older than I am/will be on the hike - my birthday isn't until mid-October.

jeffmeh
02-11-2013, 10:11
Good luck. The AT makes a pretty good gap year, in my personal opinion.

Agreed. Life is likely to get more complicated with more commitments that could keep you off the trail. My son (Achilles, 2012) did it as gap year and had an incredible experience.

rocketsocks
02-11-2013, 10:26
People younger than you have ruled entire continents...go for it, and :welcometo white blaze. plenty of women here with years of combined experience. Reach out to one, they'd be more than happy to help out.

Firefighter503
02-12-2013, 06:47
I say go for it as well. I hiked briefly with a 17 year old Amish (or Mennonite?) kid who had never even been away from home prior to his hike. You will have a blast, and meet plenty of nice people along the way. As a bonus, you will have something great to write about/reflect upon in your college classes.

urbansix
02-12-2013, 07:48
Definitely go for it.
My son is currently 12 (7th grade). We've bee hiking overnighters & multidays since he was 6, and for several years have been talking about taking a gap year (or semester) after high school and doing a SOBO. He is young for his grade, will be 17 on graduation and would turn 18 on the trail - I can't think of anything more special. At this stage we are still stoked on the idea - I am keeping my fingers crossed that he does not go all teenager on me and loose interest in the idea. I'm going, either way :-) .