PDA

View Full Version : Extending the AT!!! suhweeet!!!

evansprater
02-10-2013, 14:05
http://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/eco/news-issues/headlines-february-2013/

Extending the A.T. - Atlanta, Ga. A conservation group is working on a plan to extend the Appalachian Trail all the way to the Gulf of Mexico via the Chattahoochee River. The Trust for Public Land has already secured acreage in an effort to create a new route from the headwaters of the Chattahoochee near the southern terminus of the A.T. down to the Gulf of Mexico by combining riverside footpaths and designated blue trails for canoers and kayakers. The Trust has already acquired 17,000 acres of land that touch 76 miles of the river, and partners have also expressed interest in neighboring Florida, where the Chattahoochee becomes the Apalachicola River and flows into the Gulf.

Thoughts? My first reaction was "hell yes".

Chuckie V
02-10-2013, 14:08
A longer trail is a better trail!

10-K
02-10-2013, 14:15
Why? What's in a name?

For example - you can start in central Alabama on the Pinhoti trail and hike all the way to the Benton MacKaye Trail in north Georgia. From there you can get on the AT and hike all the way to Katahdin.

So... trail is trail is trail why do they need to go through all the gyrations it's going to take to make it part of the current Appalachian trail?

evansprater
02-10-2013, 14:19
Because of exactly that, the name. I think keeping the name attached to an already prestigious, super long trail, and making it longer, will help it make even more of a...name. for itself.

10-K
02-10-2013, 14:21
My driveway goes all the way to San Francisco - it just has different names along the way. :)

evansprater
02-10-2013, 14:24
:rolleyes: good one...

Chuckie V
02-10-2013, 14:25
Why? What's in a name?

Asks the man with his trail resume under his profile name!

But I hear you: trails are trails, regardless of designation. They all require love!

10-K
02-10-2013, 14:29
The reason I have the trails I've hiked in my profile is so someone thinking about hiking those trails can ask me questions.

I frequently get PM's asking about them from people planning hikes.

rocketsocks
02-10-2013, 14:30
My driveway goes all the way to San Francisco - it just has different names along the way. :)Damn right, it' all the same trail, and it's all the same day.....:)

You take the I-AT south, make a right on to the first blue blaze ya see after the big rock, and your half way there....Can't miss it!

Lone Wolf
02-10-2013, 14:33
the official AT will never extend south of springer or north of katahdin. it is set in stone

Coffee Rules!
02-10-2013, 14:33
My driveway goes all the way to San Francisco - it just has different names along the way. :)

**Snerk**

+10

rocketsocks
02-10-2013, 14:38
the official AT will never extend south of springer or north of katahdin. it is set in stoneThe old lincoln highway has many names rt 80, and every little town along its length has taken a little piece and called it what they will, time and money has a funny way of changing things. but I hear what your sayin.

topshelf
02-10-2013, 14:57
ehh, longer isnt always better, i dont think it fits with the character of the AT

Slo-go'en
02-10-2013, 14:58
Sounds like it would be an aqua blaze.

takethisbread
02-10-2013, 15:43
The length of the trail is perfect. It alreAdy the longest, time wise, hike we have in this country. This trail takes 5 months for a serious minded hiker. They lengthened the trail a few times already by small amounts and its led to earlier departures. A few people can afford a 2,000 mile hike in terms of time and money. How many can thru hike a 3,000 mile 7 or 8 month trek?
Plz not officially. Like lone wolf said

Cookerhiker
02-10-2013, 17:18
the official AT will never extend south of springer or north of katahdin. it is set in stone

The length of the trail is perfect. It alreAdy the longest, time wise, hike we have in this country. This trail takes 5 months for a serious minded hiker. They lengthened the trail a few times already by small amounts and its led to earlier departures. A few people can afford a 2,000 mile hike in terms of time and money. How many can thru hike a 3,000 mile 7 or 8 month trek?

Yes to these.

brian039
02-10-2013, 17:20
Stuff like this comes up all the time. It's wishful thinking on the part of the conservation group. Anybody read the part about the Walmart Rafters? Glad they survived but I thought that was pretty funny.

Malto
02-10-2013, 17:28

Not exactly. The pct is longer both mileage and very likely in the number of days hiked.

As far as extending the trail, only extend it if it keeps the same charter. I wouldn't view a riverside trail down the Hooch to keep with the charter. Establish the trail and then people can combine them if they don't view the AT to be enough challenge.

Capt Nat
02-10-2013, 17:57
If I hiked the AT this year and next year they extended it, would I lose my stripes until I did the new full length? What about everybody else that has through hiked? Is there a lawyer in the house?

hikerboy57
02-10-2013, 18:01
ehh, longer isnt always better, i dont think it fits with the character of the AT

it not only doesnt fit with the character, where do the appalachian mtns run between georgia and the gulf?

rocketsocks
02-10-2013, 18:02
If I hiked the AT this year and next year they extended it, would I lose my stripes until I did the new full length? What about everybody else that has through hiked? Is there a lawyer in the house?Now I'm no lawyer..but I play one on white blaze. Your miles are good for the trail you did, you do not ever lose them, you'll be immortal on said trail...that is set in stone...And great luck with your hike Nat..when are you heading out?

Capt Nat
02-10-2013, 18:06
Waiting on some gear to ship, before the end of this month!!!!

BirdBrain
02-10-2013, 18:07
Forget lengthening it. I want a big detour in it so it will run right by my house. Why not? If we can extend it beyond the Appalachian Range all bets are off. How about we put it up for sponsorship, sell the rights to the highest bidder, and rename it to the (insert huge company name) Trail?

k2basecamp
02-10-2013, 18:47
No extension to the AT will be made. Tradition endures. Sounds like a great idea for a water/hiking trail to the Gulf but not as a bootstrap to th AT. Same thing for the "International AT" North of Katahdin.

takethisbread
02-10-2013, 19:41
While I know the pct and cdt are longer in mileage by a good margin in terms of time, anectodely my impression has been the length time wise was longer on the AT. The average successful thru hike over the past 5 years must be somewhere around 5.5-6.0 months. The window on the PCT isn't very long. And the kickoff isn't till the end of April when most AT hikers have been on trail anywhere 4-8 weeks.
There must be someone here with official stats.

Not exactly. The pct is longer both mileage and very likely in the number of days hiked.

As far as extending the trail, only extend it if it keeps the same charter. I wouldn't view a riverside trail down the Hooch to keep with the charter. Establish the trail and then people can combine them if they don't view the AT to be enough challenge.

Theosus
02-10-2013, 20:11

Wasnt it longer at one point? I thought some of it was lopped off, and springer is the new start. I thought I remembered reading that the "approach trail" was once part of the AT, along with several dozen more miles.

I just wish my own state was in on the AT. It sucks that both GA and NC are on the trail, but SC is left out...

Son Driven
02-10-2013, 20:21
Bears, & Alligators as well, awesome.

max patch
02-10-2013, 21:56
Wasnt it longer at one point? I thought some of it was lopped off, and springer is the new start. I thought I remembered reading that the "approach trail" was once part of the AT, along with several dozen more miles.

The trail used to start at Mt Oglethorpe, which was about 20 trail miles S of Springer and yes, it included what is known today as the Approach Trail. In 1958 the starting point was moved to Springer because of the intrusion of chicken farms on the hiking experience.

Mountain Mike
02-10-2013, 22:30
While I know the pct and cdt are longer in mileage by a good margin in terms of time, anectodely my impression has been the length time wise was longer on the AT. The average successful thru hike over the past 5 years must be somewhere around 5.5-6.0 months. The window on the PCT isn't very long. And the kickoff isn't till the end of April when most AT hikers have been on trail anywhere 4-8 weeks.
There must be someone here with official stats.

Most PCT hikes are shorter day wise. The timing depends on the snow in the high country. On many years the first water is Hauser Creek almost 20 miles in. The PCT is graded for equestrians so there isn't the steep climbs you see on the AT. Hi mileage is doable & of required in the dry sections. Later start to allow snow to melt off in high country & early finish to avoid it in the cascades limits the hiking window.

Gray Blazer
02-10-2013, 22:49
I thought they already changed the name to the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr Trail. (no disrespect intended)

SassyWindsor
02-11-2013, 00:06
Why do people want to say the AT is being extended. The AT is fine just the way it is. These trails are nothing but connectors, just like the FHT in SC connects to the AT via the Bartram Trail in Ga and NC.

Coffee Rules!
02-11-2013, 03:57
I just wish my own state was in on the AT. It sucks that both GA and NC are on the trail, but SC is left out...

Left out? What is this, recess where everyone has to get a turn? 36 states are "left out." Big deal. You have trails in SC, no? Did you include GA and NC? That sucks...

**Bangs head on wall**

Coffee Rules!
02-11-2013, 03:59
Bears, & Alligators as well, awesome.

I want to know if my bear spray will work on gators or do I need to get something different. Do they make gator spray? Holy hell, a whole new logistical problem!

Sly
02-11-2013, 04:28
Most PCT hikes are shorter day wise. The timing depends on the snow in the high country. On many years the first water is Hauser Creek almost 20 miles in. The PCT is graded for equestrians so there isn't the steep climbs you see on the AT. Hi mileage is doable & of required in the dry sections. Later start to allow snow to melt off in high country & early finish to avoid it in the cascades limits the hiking window.

However, if you take the fastest known times it's 46+ days (47.5 mpd) on the AT (2186 mi) and 65+ days (41 mpd) on the PCT (2665 mi)

Train Wreck
02-11-2013, 05:18
Left out? What is this, recess where everyone has to get a turn? 36 states are "left out." Big deal. You have trails in SC, no? Did you include GA and NC? That sucks...

**Bangs head on wall**

Don't go starting another Civil War! :D

prain4u
02-11-2013, 05:37
I want to know if my bear spray will work on gators or do I need to get something different. Do they make gator spray? Holy hell, a whole new logistical problem!

You could try this...(Dave's Gator Sauce). It tastes good too.

http://davesgatorsauce.com/

Add some zesty flavor from natural ingredients - Louisiana cayenne peppers, distilled vinegar, salt. Daves's Gator Sauce is the perfect complement for burgers, enchiladas, calamari, ribs, pizza, hot dogs - you name it. One taste and you'll have a new favorite. Enjoy!

Coffee Rules!
02-11-2013, 05:46
Don't go starting another Civil War! :D

It wouldn't be another one. There'd have to be a first one to be another one. The one that folks CALL the Civil War was the War for Southern Independence. ;)

Coffee Rules!
02-11-2013, 05:49
You could try this...(Dave's Gator Sauce). It tastes good too.

http://davesgatorsauce.com/

Sounds good, but once it made everything tasty wouldn't that bring more bears around? Double edged sword, my friend.

Yukon
02-11-2013, 08:30

This......

88BlueGT
02-11-2013, 11:13
IF they do I'm sure they will not call it the Appalachian Trail. Most likely XXXXXXXXXX that connects with the AT.

I read about this in my local paper a few months ago.

Mountain Dog
02-11-2013, 15:11
Here is a thought, start at Key West, hike the Florida Trail, the Pinhoti, The BMT, the AT to K, and then the international AT through Canada (Nimblewill Nomad did it in "Ten Million Steps". Or, you can hike the Great Eastern Trail. Do any of these and then say you need another long trail. As for me, the AT should stay in the Appalachian mountains. I've looked high and low and I really can't find any mountains here in Florida. Seems like someone wants to attach a project to the AT name hoping to get some of the money hikers spend on the famous trail.

takethisbread
02-11-2013, 15:20
Like I said before based on strictly anectodle evidence, I would say an average pct thru hike would range from 120-140 days , cdt 140-160 days
And AT 150-180 days. Very few thru hikers make it to Kathadin in less than 5 months and some take 7months. I may be wrong, and I don't have statistics, but I think I'm not way off.

Chuckie V
02-11-2013, 15:32
Like I said before based on strictly anectodle evidence, I would say an average pct thru hike would range from 120-140 days , cdt 140-160 days
And AT 150-180 days. Very few thru hikers make it to Kathadin in less than 5 months and some take 7months. I may be wrong, and I don't have statistics, but I think I'm not way off.

I'd agree with this. And I think part of the reason is that each trail sees more and more experienced hikers, in the order you've listed. In other words, the AT gets the widest array of abilities attempting it, whereas the PCT generally sees more experienced (and likely therefore faster) hikers, and the CDT more experienced hikers yet. I would propose that if the CDT saw the same numbers and the same "crowd" that the AT does, it would take the longest, except of course that its window of possible completion is that much tighter, as it is on the PCT. Those two trails necessitates a certain level of proficiency, generally speaking. There have been people who've departed Springer on Jan 1st and reach Katahdin in mid October. That possibility of length doesn't really exist on the PCT or the CDT.

tds1195
02-11-2013, 15:42
Thanks for sharing this. Not sure how I feel about it...but loving the dialogue here. Some strongly for and strongly against...keep it going!

evansprater
02-11-2013, 16:22
Yeah I don't really care what the name is, it would be cool to have another trail going all the way to the gulf though. I agree the name "Appalachian" would struggle to be correct once the trail got south of ATL and it gets flat. I think it could be cool though regardless.

DavidNH
02-11-2013, 16:26
dumb idea. If we "extend" the AT to the Gulf.. it is no longer in the Appalachian Mountains. It's a silly as extending the IAT across the Atlantic to the UK.

SouthMark
02-11-2013, 16:29
It would need to be renamed… The Appalachian-River-Panhandle-Beach Trail

Old Hillwalker
02-11-2013, 16:38
dumb idea. If we "extend" the AT to the Gulf.. it is no longer in the Appalachian Mountains. It's a silly as extending the IAT across the Atlantic to the UK.

Looks like a done deal as far as the mountain range across the floor of the Atlantic Ocean goes. Mighty wet walking though.

http://iat-sia.com/index.php?page=about-us

Razor
02-11-2013, 17:00
This is a moot conversation . Being a nationally designated trail ,to change it would require an act of Congress . How do you think the Georgia legislators would react to that!

10-K
02-11-2013, 17:20
I'd like to add that if any trail were to be cojoined with the AT to extend it the natural fit would be the Pinhoti - and that's not going to happen either.

ryan850
02-11-2013, 17:30
Awesome! I didn't really need an excuse to thru-hike again, but if it gets extended, then I have even more motivation.

ryan850
02-11-2013, 17:31
I'm not sure what the problem is. More trail is always better, imo.

ajwatson
02-11-2013, 17:55
What's the big deal? Its just a strip of dirt that humans have arbitrarily assigned a name to. IMO, the AT is just a section hike of the Appalachian mountains, which run from Alabama to Norway...

Deacon
02-11-2013, 17:56
I'm not sure what the problem is. More trail is always better, imo.

You would not get more trail, just renamed trail.

takethisbread
02-11-2013, 17:59
I think that's part of it. The AT is certainly inviting to all types. I would say in my limited PCT experience (3 section hikes) the hiking lends itself to big mile days. The challenges are different. Not better or worse, just different . It's much more a wilderness experience. The AT steep crawls I have never experienced on the pct, although I'm sure some exist. The sometimes constant rain also slows down hikers on the AT. I guess my point is : serious hikers often take 5 months on the AT. It's that kind of trail. PCT I hope is in my future, and I'm sure it will give me new perspectives, and appreciation. The greater point is the AT is long enough. It's in my experience, in much of of the trail, not conducive to many 25 mile days except for a few exceptional athlete types.

I'd agree with this. And I think part of the reason is that each trail sees more and more experienced hikers, in the order you've listed. In other words, the AT gets the widest array of abilities attempting it, whereas the PCT generally sees more experienced (and likely therefore faster) hikers, and the CDT more experienced hikers yet. I would propose that if the CDT saw the same numbers and the same "crowd" that the AT does, it would take the longest, except of course that its window of possible completion is that much tighter, as it is on the PCT. Those two trails necessitates a certain level of proficiency, generally speaking. There have been people who've departed Springer on Jan 1st and reach Katahdin in mid October. That possibility of length doesn't really exist on the PCT or the CDT.

nitewalker
02-11-2013, 18:06
im all for it but if your going to extend it to the gulf then they may as well extend it to the canadian border...the AT got short changed compared to the other 2 big trails that make up the triple crown. they go border to border and the odd ball AT stops short on both ends....

Datto
02-13-2013, 19:46

Ain't that the truth. Considerably more difficult for me to complete the PCT than my AT thru-hike. Wasn't steeper either. Different mindset and adaptability required that was a challenge for me. Glad I completed the PCT and it was gorgeous, breathtakingly, spectacularly beautiful but it was 3x more difficult for me. I still wonder why that is so since most think the PCT is easier than the AT.

Datto

wnderer
02-13-2013, 20:50
Rather than extending the trail I would prefer adding a parallel trail and have connecting trails between it and the AT. That might reduce traffic on the AT or at least create a less traveled alternative to the AT. It would also create some interesting loops hikes. Like maybe connect the Benton Mackaye and the Mountain to Sea Trail to the Tuscarora trail by adding a trail along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Moose2001
02-13-2013, 21:08
Ain't that the truth. Considerably more difficult for me to complete the PCT than my AT thru-hike. Wasn't steeper either. Different mindset and adaptability required that was a challenge for me. Glad I completed the PCT and it was gorgeous, breathtakingly, spectacularly beautiful but it was 3x more difficult for me. I still wonder why that is so since most think the PCT is easier than the AT.

Datto

Totally agree Datto! I recall saying almost every day "the PCT is suppose to be easier"! It's a different experience than the AT and something every addicted hiker should experience.