PDA

View Full Version : how much money should I have?

Oddin
02-10-2013, 16:30
Ive seen people say 2k to 3500 but thats simply not possible for me. I plan on possibly starting in the spring and will hopefully have 1500+. I plan on not using motels often (not sure what hostels are but see people mentioning tjose in costs) maybe once a month, I wont be stopping at bars or anything either (see people saying that takes up a lot of money) and will rarely be eating out (maybe a super cheap 5 dollar or less meal once every week or two). I also read people spend a lot of money at the hotsprings (what is it that costs so much there? Whatever it is I wont be doing it lol) but I just don't know if itwill be fiscally ppssible for me without loaning money from my parents or aomethong. Can I get some advice?

RedBeerd
02-10-2013, 16:46
I'm not going until I have 5-7k. There are endless discussions on here about money and how its easy to say you won't stop into towns or get hotels etc etc but that just isn't the case. Its not realistic and I bet for 99% its not possible..
I want to do it once, and do it right. I've met a few hikers who were running out of money, begging family, surviving off hand outs from section or weekend hikers..like cmon dude. So doing it right means having the money.$5000 minimum.

Oddin
02-10-2013, 16:49
Ive seen people say 3500 is plenty, 5k is luxory lol. I really don't mind not having a bed. Im used to sleeping on floors and in tents. I plan on using a hammock which imo is better than a bed lol.

10-K
02-10-2013, 17:04
Well, if all you can get is $1500 that's how much you'll have - it doesn't matter how much you should have.

Try it - worse case you can just hike until you run out. Beats sitting at home.

Datto
02-10-2013, 17:33
I plan on possibly starting in the spring and will hopefully have 1500+. Can I get some advice?

Is the $1,500 just to cover your own costs or do you have to pay for Kumar's trail costs also?

Datto

Rocket Jones
02-10-2013, 17:42
Hike until you run out of money. Enjoy the trip and don't obsess about the destination.

Datto
02-10-2013, 17:51
I plan on possibly starting in the spring and will hopefully have 1500+. Can I get some advice?

Now appearing at the Franklin, NC drive-in theater:

Mags
02-10-2013, 17:55

Oy vey...

Stir Fry
02-10-2013, 18:08
You will make it to VA. Not much more on $1500.

brian039
02-10-2013, 18:10
Pick a 2-3 month section that you would like to do or a different trail to hike. You could do the Colorado Trail or the John Muir Trail for that much and have a great time.

Oddin
02-10-2013, 18:41
Kumars cost? What lol? And section hiking is great if you don't have a job. Not going to quit mine for a section hike. I can get into a fed ex position starting at 15 an hour and plan to keep that job until I finish college. The longer. I put it off the longer until I can grt that job. And I really hate to co tinue working at minum wage any longer. I like my job but I need an upgrade and if I t was either "hike til yiu run out or don't hike" im going to have to probably either not hike or start in pa and hike north from there. ( I lve in ohio btw) i just r eally wanted to do a thru hike, I don't want to end up 60 years old and look back at a life of dull work since age 16 . Maybe I should just be happy with half the hike but its just not the same if you know what I mean

Datto
02-10-2013, 18:52
or start in pa and hike north from there.

Connecticut northward to Maine is half the cost of an AT thru-hike.

I'd be better to start at Springer Mountain, GA in April and hike to Damascus, VA (454 miles or so). That'll use up your $1,500 and you'll have money to get back to Ohio.

Datto

Oddin
02-10-2013, 18:58
Yea seems like that would only take a month or two, I don't see how that would cost so much mone.already said wont be using motels. If some1 could break down price costs into some estimates that would be great cause if you don't go to motels / restraunts idk how you could spend that much that quick. Maybe this trip just isnt realistic for me like I stated above I wont be quiting work for a short month or 2 hike :/

Datto
02-10-2013, 19:00
Someday I'm gonna hike the AT
Do I have money, well no.
These days you don't really need it,
With a hiker box in tow.

Can't wait to use the privies.
Can't want to yogi my food.
Can't wait to hitch into town
And be a dumpster diving dude.

Cause when you hike the AT
It's adios reality.
They say he's gone insane
With all the sweat and pain.
And the pressures that go with...

Datto

Slo-go'en
02-10-2013, 19:01
You don't have much choice do you? A) you go with what you got and hope it lasts or B) you wait until you have more money. Pick one.

Datto
02-10-2013, 19:06
I don't see how that would cost so much mone.already said wont be using motels.

Wait 'til you see the rain. That would be with a capital R.

Wait 'til you see the climb. That would be with a capital C.

Wait 'til you see the mud. That would be with a capital M.

Wait 'till you see the bugs. That would be with a capital B.

What's that spell? AT

What's that spell? AT.

Freebird!

Datto

Oddin
02-10-2013, 19:08
Well im going to wait til I have the money, thats why I am asking for advice... im just trying to prepare / grt informed. Would I like to do it this year? Definately. Will I have an opprotunity to do it next year? Probably not. Am I going to take all the risk of a thru hike (ie quiting my job and being unemployed when im done) for a shorter trip? Probably not. Im just trying to figure out what some realistic expectations are. Anywas thanks for the responses everyone looking like its just not realistic

swjohnsey
02-10-2013, 19:13
Figure about $1k/month after you get there. Most folks don't last a month anyway.

Stir Fry
02-10-2013, 19:37
Figure about $1k/month after you get there. Most folks don't last a month anyway.
Ya I think about 1/2 quit in first 30 days

Oddin
02-10-2013, 19:53
Wait now I'm curious how do you figure 1000 per month? no one is counting gear in these costs right? I'm talking strictly expenses on trail like food, and thats basically it...

Oddin
02-10-2013, 19:54
again I'm stressing no motels/ and rarely visiting restraunts...

brian039
02-10-2013, 19:56
Well im going to wait til I have the money, thats why I am asking for advice... im just trying to prepare / grt informed. Would I like to do it this year? Definately. Will I have an opprotunity to do it next year? Probably not. Am I going to take all the risk of a thru hike (ie quiting my job and being unemployed when im done) for a shorter trip? Probably not. Im just trying to figure out what some realistic expectations are. Anywas thanks for the responses everyone looking like its just not realistic

I wish there was a way it could be done but it really does cost a bit of money. That $1,500 would last you to Harper's Ferry at best. A thru-hike is one of the coolest things I've ever done, hope you get a chance to do it some day.

Stink Bug
02-10-2013, 19:59
Wait now I'm curious how do you figure 1000 per month? no one is counting gear in these costs right? I'm talking strictly expenses on trail like food, and thats basically it...

You're not going to replace ANY gear during the course of 5 - 6 months, and 2180 odd miles? Even accounting for a budget of $10 a day for food, assuming you're as you say, disciplined enough to not partake of the town food, motels etc, that's $300 or so, a month right there. Five months of food alone would eat (no pun) through your budget. That's before you add travel to/from the trailheads, fuel (canister or alcohol) etc.

Mags
02-10-2013, 19:59
Work a few months longer, save some money and do a south bound hike. Less people, too.

jj2044
02-10-2013, 20:02
Stink Bug, dont bring basic math into this... he KNOWS he can do it.....

Datto
02-10-2013, 20:02
Oddin -- It speaks highly of you that you're here asking questions ahead of time and listening to the responses from people who have completed a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail.

One other question you might ask yourself is what can you sell between now and when you leave for the Trail and what else can you do to raise cash.

Datto

Stink Bug
02-10-2013, 20:05
Stink Bug, dont bring basic math into this... he KNOWS he can do it.....

Whoops, sorry, my bad. Whatever was I thinking... (I know, I wasn't)!

kayak karl
02-10-2013, 20:07
do it with your $1500, don't spend the money everybody says they do and prove everybody wrong :)
PS - a hostel is where you can get 3 hots and a cot.

Coffee
02-10-2013, 20:18
Someone suggested doing the JMT or a shorter hike due to limited funds. FWIW, my JMT thru hike budget is just under $2K not including gear and that includes flying in from the east coast, a couple of days in the SF Bay Area and motels at Red's and Lone Pine plus a night at Muir trail ranch. I could easily see the trip at under $1,500 if I wanted to be tighter on the budget.

Oddin
02-10-2013, 20:25
I dont want anyone to get the wrong idea, I'm NOTTTTT saying I know more than you guys, I'm just trying to get the proper information. Now i know alot of people stay at hotels and stuff and I'm just trying to get a good source of information and set a reasonable realistic goal/expectations

DavidNH
02-10-2013, 20:36
Ive seen people say 2k to 3500 but thats simply not possible for me. I plan on possibly starting in the spring and will hopefully have 1500+. I plan on not using motels often (not sure what hostels are but see people mentioning tjose in costs) maybe once a month, I wont be stopping at bars or anything either (see people saying that takes up a lot of money) and will rarely be eating out (maybe a super cheap 5 dollar or less meal once every week or two). I also read people spend a lot of money at the hotsprings (what is it that costs so much there? Whatever it is I wont be doing it lol) but I just don't know if itwill be fiscally ppssible for me without loaning money from my parents or aomethong. Can I get some advice?

So you wanna thru hike on 1,500 bucks? it maybe possible but it wont be easy. you won't be staying at ANY hotels or motels, you'll barely be able to afford a hostel. You'd need to keep restaurant visits to a minimum. Pray that equipment doesn't need replacing that could blow your budget. I would very highly recommend that you follow RedBeerd's advice and not do your hike till you have 5000 dollars saved up for trip. One of the biggest reasons folks drop out is running out of money (poor planning). don't do this. Don't set your self up for failure. Wait till you have enough money and can actually enjoy the trip.

Stink Bug
02-10-2013, 20:37
I dont want anyone to get the wrong idea, I'm NOTTTTT saying I know more than you guys, I'm just trying to get the proper information. Now i know alot of people stay at hotels and stuff and I'm just trying to get a good source of information and set a reasonable realistic goal/expectations

To put some perspective on this, I'm a VERY frugal person and I'm assuming $700 (at the bare minimum), for my upcoming thru-hike. That's after expenses I have already incurred such as: gear, train tickets to Gainseville, GA, a shuttle to the trail head, health insurance (I'm from England and this is one expense I absolutely will not forego) and travel home from Maine.

This isn't my, or any of the other posters' wanting to rain on your parade rather, us being realistic. So, realistic expectations (things to consider):

1) Money for travel from NE Ohio to Springer.
2) Money for travel to NE Ohio from Katahdin.
3) Money for food (unless you have already pre-bought and will mail out), low ball @ $10 a day.
4) Money for mail drops to send home cold weather clothing (north of Mt Rogers, VA)
5) Money for mail drop to mail in cold weather clothing in New Hampshire.
6) Unless you're going no-cook, money for fuel along the way
6) Money for "...rarely visiting restraunts (sic)", say $15 a pop, twice a month.
7) Money to replace footwear (every 300 - 500 miles or so for trail runners).

DavidNH
02-10-2013, 20:46
I just re-read this thread. Oddin.. no motels.. ok you can do that (though a hotel now and then can be VERY nice). You also need to minimize your zero days. you don't have a lot of funds at this point for town time. Towns eat up cash reserves.

Now restaurants.. listen carefully.. there is absolutely NO WAY you will avoid restaurants. After a thousand miles or so (maybe less) food is about all a thru hiker cares about or thinks about.

The topic of money for a thru hike has been discussed adnauseum here. You'd be way better off of just going from Spring to say Harpers Ferry and calling it a day so to speak. That's doable. 1500 over 2000 miles is NOT doable. In New England.. you won't even be able to afford a hostel. Prices are higher.

Even 3000 dollars would be a bare bones budget for a thru hike. I thru hiked in 06, I spent about 5000 dollars and I wasn't exactly living it up though I did avail myself of the occasional motel.

In addition to shopping for food along the way, postage to mail stuff home, eating at restaurants now and then, you need to consider money for shuttles, money for caretaker staffed tent sites in the White Mtns (though you won't make it that far on your budge) money to add, send home, or replace equipment. You most likely will be getting a new pair of boots.. as boots wont make it the whole way. Mine died in Pennsylvania. PA incidentally is where I bought trail runners as an experiment. I wore them till the inn at the Long trail in VT where they got tossed into the dumpster, completely warn out.

Oddin
02-10-2013, 20:50
^^^^ That's what I want is for people to be realistic. I'm not counting shoes/gear replacements/mail drops/tickets, My parents have been gracious enough to volunteer mail drops for food or sending clothing exc that i may need, and while on the trail if i need a new pack or something they would buy it and i would pay them at a later date. Also it's not like this is the first time i've ever camped I've got loads of gear. Again I'm not being disrespectful with any of my posts if thats how its coming across, I'm just trying to obtain as much information as possible

Oddin
02-10-2013, 20:57
Oh, and someone mentioned selling personally belongings, got about 3 grand of music gear i could sell for probably 1.5-2k pretty easy, but I'd really hate to sell my music stuff =S

Stir Fry
02-10-2013, 21:03
Oddin, if you have mom and dad at home sending you food, clothing and anything that you might need. Then by all means you cand do the hike on $1,500. But your OP sounded like you were going to try to do the hike on you owne for $1,500. Your last post changed the things a little bit.

Datto
02-10-2013, 21:13
DavidNH is correct -- by the time you reach central Virginia (or possibly hundreds of miles before that) you'll be ravenous. Your raging appetite will take over and it'll become biological occupying your thoughts all the time. There's little hope that you'd walk past a Pizza place in town without going in and simply chowing down on as much Pizza and you can wolf down your gullet. It's pretty much uncontrollable for an AT thru-hiker.

Datto

Slo-go'en
02-10-2013, 21:17
What people who haven't done a long distance hike don't realise is how damn hungry you'll get. After about a month your body starts screaming FEED ME! I haven't meet anyone with the will power to walk past a resturant under those conditions. No thru-hiker can walk past an AYCE place without stopping. Three, double quarter pounders and two large fries will be a snack. A large pizza with three toppings? Not a problem. And that my friend, is where most of your money will go. You may not think so now, but trust me you will.

Datto
02-10-2013, 21:20
Also, most AT thru-hikers seriously underestimate -- from a cost standpoint and time standpoint -- the psychological and emotional effects of hiking in the rain for weeks, day in and day out. If you start in April, that's what you'll be facing right out of the gate if you start at Springer Mountain, GA and head north. If you start mid-March, you'll be hiking in the snow and the rain, not just the rain. Quite uncomfortable even for the most hardy of hikers.

On my AT thru-hike I didn't know a soul who didn't regularly go into town to get out of the rain -- at least once per week. That and to try to get gear dried out so it wasn't so heavy as well as being uncomfortable. And those blisters that will happen on your feet, and those rub-raw marks on your back from carrying that backpack...those will likely drive you into town also.

Datto

Papa D
02-10-2013, 21:28
that's a real skinny budget - you'll be handicapped for sure but I think that it can be done. Here are my ideas for super cheap:

1) Plan on staying clean mostly by swimming or taking cookpot showers (just put a bar or half bar of Dr. Bronner's soap in a zip lock) - keep the soap out of the waterways please - - many hostels and campgrounds offer pay-showers without having to actually purchase lodging. Some are $3 -$5 and include a towel. Be really nice to folks - you might even get a free shower or three.

2) Plan on not staying in any hostels or only those that charge less than about $15 for a bunk - - for your zero days, just stay in a shelter - - it's pretty fun. There are some hostels that ask for a donation only - this doesn't mean that you can freeload or stay for free - - it would be really bad karma for you not to leave at least $5-$7 - - you could always preform a nice service for the owners though - - offer to repair something - clean their laundry room - something nice.

3) Learn to like Ramen Noodles, peanut butter, instant potatoes, instant rice, and oatmeal - - buy big canisters and re-use your ziplocks

4) Take full advantage of hiker boxes and eat whatever you find in them - you'll want to. If you have something to leave, give back.

5) Make friends with the weekender / family people on the trail - do something nice for them like build them a fire or help with trail advice - you might get a free meal

6) Don't be a mooching yogi but be extra nice and helpful - you might indeed trade for some meal(s)

7) Learn to use a wood-burner stove so you don't have to buy much fuel - - an alcohol stove is pretty cheap to operate - - learn to make one out of a beer can (Miller Lite stove)

8) You will have to do without booze or bud unless it just comes your way

9) Be in shape and hike fast - - - if you can grind out 20+ mile days on average and not get injured or hurt, you'll do better - the faster you finish, the less you'll spend

$1500 is super, super cheap - you'll have to be very McGyverish and resourceful - - give it a try, why not, if you run out of money, get a job and finish up later.

Datto
02-10-2013, 21:40
3) Learn to like Ramen Noodles, peanut butter, instant potatoes, instant rice, and oatmeal - - buy big canisters and re-use your ziplocks

That is good advice to help you spend less money.

For me, after having so much of those on my AT thru-hike and on the PCT -- I'm gagged just by reading the text describing those items. Particularly the Ramen Noodles and Lipton's Noodles and Pop-tarts (although I ate tons more of those on the PCT than I did on the AT). I'm glad my maildrop support person on my AT thru-hike was able to mix/vary the contents of maildrops she'd sent me on the AT so I always had something good to eat to offset the lightweight food items that gag me now.

I'm just recently beginning to be able to eat hot dogs after my buddy Tony and I ate so many hot dogs in college.

You should let your folks know that they can send you some goodies in the mail that you can't normally find in trail towns for resupply. Variety is the main thing (you'll eat anything not tied down as a pet but it would be good if you could get some variety -- mainly things heavy with fat is what you'll be craving).

Datto

Oddin
02-10-2013, 22:12
Thanks again for all the advice. I think i got a pretty good idea of what I will do, i got a couple months to decide. I will be getting prepared for the trip starting tommorow by walking a minimum of 10 miles a day with gear to get the feel of it, the stress and hunger and everything. I still have a little while to decide.

Dogwood
02-10-2013, 22:13

Oy vey...

LOL LOL LOL I immediately had the same thought.

how much money should I have?Since you are asking this question probably more than you think you should have!

Leanthree
02-10-2013, 22:46
good advice from Papa D. I agree with all the haters who think it is a terrible idea but you should give it a whirl. Life happens fast and you have the time now. Worst case, you had a great couple of months and are broke. Best case is you have a great thru-hike and are broke.

To get further along, I'd also start later. If Nobo then late april. The one thing which could kill your budget would be to get a bad winter storm and have to hole up in a town for a week. You are young and should be able to manage the bigger miles eventually to make up for the late start.

Fal and Hercules
02-10-2013, 23:03
my advice, plan on stopping at every AYCE place within hitch-hiking distance and staying there three hours. you will need that many calories. 14 years ago, Hiawasee had Daniels, Franklin had a Pizza Hut and they might have an AYCE lunch, The Home Place in Catawba, Virginia, Pizza Hut lunch in Cloverdale.....Duncannon, PA had a truck stop that might have a AYCE lunch. One of our friends stopped into a McDonalds and had one of everything on the menu
do the research and enjoy the planning. Costs double north of Maryland for food.
check out towns like Erwin, TN with shelters near town on both south and north, so you can have a Pizza Hut lunch for three hours then shower at Uncle Johnny's and leave town
we also enjoyed doing the math in the grocery stores, in 1999 a coconut cream fried pie was 50 cents and contained 510 calories, ten calories per penny.
the places to eat along the trail come and go, your hike will be an adventure, be as flexible as possible. every man that I know lost thirty pounds, food is fuel,your body becomes a well tuned machine, you must refuel.

Dogwood
02-10-2013, 23:31
How much money should I have?Can I get some advice? YOU SURE CAN.

Seriously, here on WB, this topic comes up every few days for like the past four years!

First, welcome to WB. I see you are new. Here's some advice. When you logged on to WB and hit the "Today's Posts" tab a SEARCH button popped up on the upper left. Hit it and do a THREAD search typing in key words something like "How Much Does It Cost To Hike The AT?" Search as far back in time as you desire to review threads discussing this topic. You'll get an insidious amount of advice and LOTS and LOTS of useful info on how to hike the AT cheaply. Good luck in your searches and hiking the AT.

Oddin
02-11-2013, 01:14
only reason i didnt do a search is because most people include costs for motels, I plan on rarely staying in a motel and was wondering what the food part alone would cost, thanks for the welcome tho

The Cleaner
02-11-2013, 08:15

Oy vey... + 1...........

Dogwood
02-11-2013, 15:04
only reason i didnt do a search is because most people include costs for motels, I plan on rarely staying in a motel and was wondering what the food part alone would cost, thanks for the welcome tho

Then do the search and factor out the motel costs. C'mon! Here's something REAL it seems you need hear. NO ONE is able to TELL YOU how much YOU will spend on a AT thru-hike. That includes telling you what you will specifically spend on food. Even offering a ballpark range what you will spend on food alone is dubious. Too many variables involved with food costs. Listen to what I'm saying. I'm trying to help you. Take into consideration the advice of others on how to spend wisely, how to cut thru-hiker/hiking costs. This includes all the possible costs associated with a AT thru-hike. YOU need to take it from there! IMHO, if you will do that, and avoid being lazy expecting someone else to come up with an answer FOR YOU, that's the BEST way FOR YOU to proceed! If you aren't willing to do that I strongly suspect you will have a difficult time completing a thru-hike! If you will not do that, just section hike until the money runs out and call yourself whatever you like. I've met many AT hikers who get SO CAUGHT UP with feeling the need to label themselves as thru-hikers when in fact what they really wind up being is section hikers.

There really is no need for others to TRY to write a book on how much it will cost YOU to thru-hike the AT when it will most likely largely not apply to YOU because NO ONE here on WB intimately knows you, your desires, discipline level, specific situation, etc.

88BlueGT
02-11-2013, 17:36
Don't forget about inflation...

prain4u
02-13-2013, 04:06
Even if you are SUPER frugal, there are a couple things that will drive up your food budget to an amount that is higher than you can imagine when you are sitting at home behind a computer screen:

1) The amount of calories that your body physically needs to consume every day on a long hike is very large. I checked several online sources, and most sources seem to indicate that our bodies burn 500-700 calories PER HOUR while backpacking (depending upon your weight, pack weight, terrain, etc). That is A LOT of calories that you need to replace each day--and that is in addition to the roughly 1,700- 2,200 calories that your body needs daily just because you are alive. So, you are probably looking at needing to consume 5,000 to 8,000 (or more) calories per day (unless you are going to have significant and unhealthy weight loss). That is 2 to 4 times the amount of food that you probably eat on a typical day at home.

The more food that you must eat = More cost.

For the heck of it--here are a couple of online calorie calculators for you to goof around with. They allegedly calculate how many calories a typical person of a certain body weight will burn while backpacking:

http://www.fitwatch.com/phpscripts/searchexcategories.php?category_id=06

http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/caloriesburned/hiking/result?weightPounds=160&duration=180&activity=&met=7.0&submit=

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

2) It is not like you will run into a large discount grocery store every few days. That means that you will be paying some fairly high food prices at convenience stores and at the small town Mom and Pop grocery stores. Those food prices are generally going to be MUCH higher than you would pay for food at a large grocery store at home.

Those two factors tend to significantly increase your food costs on a thru hike--and there is really no way to significantly reduce those costs--no matter how frugal you are. (Sure, you can do mail drops using cheaper food from home--but when you add the cost of mailing the food--you are once again looking at a pretty costly food budget)

nitewalker
02-13-2013, 06:44
Well, if all you can get is $1500 that's how much you'll have - it doesn't matter how much you should have.

now thats a great answer and no beating around the bush...as nike says JUST DO IT!!!!:)

Winds
02-19-2013, 05:58
Oddin, thought I leave a couple notes since you are new here. I am planning myself, so I am not an expert here.

In this thread, you have a number of seasoned veterans responding, understand their words. Others, disregard.

$1,500 is considered EXTREMELY thin (and yes, most will say you just can’t do it on that budget). Your execution of a thru-hike on that amount would need to be expertly frugal with specific world-class talents in fitness and improvising. You’d also need an exceptional amount of luck. Has it been done? Yes, and you can read some of their plights in this site. Understand though that you’d want to have more money so yes, earn what you can, and sell what you are willing to see this dream come true.

One thing no one seemed to mention here - is no matter what you take, see if you can con your parents into setting a grand aside for you to borrow just in case. THAT could be your saving grace if needed.

When I started collection information, I put together the below list of what actually costs money once you are on your way. It’s not perfect, but may guide you better to things you didn’t think about.

With that, I wish you well, and hope that your adventure is very successful for you!

What costs $$$ DURING a thru-hike:

ATM Charges
Batteries
Clothing (new)
Clothing repairs
Emergencies (health, family/friend, etc.)
First aide supplies (sun screen, mole skin, anti-septic, etc...)
Food
Fuel
Gear (new or replacement)
Gear repairs
Hygiene items (soap, toothpaste, toilet paper, etc.)
Insect Products (Premethrin, Picaridin, DEET, etc)
Laundry services / supplies
Lodging (hotels, hostels, campsites, cabins, shelters, lean-tos / permits)
Mail drops (receiving) incoming supplies/food
Mailing bounce boxes, supplies home, postcards, gifts, etc...
Buying Winds an expensive and cool keepsake!
Maps
Phone card / cell phone charges
Restaurants
Showers
Shuttles
Town entertainment (movie, alcohol, etc.)

Monkeywrench
02-19-2013, 08:42
You MIGHT be able to squeak by on $1500, especially if your parents will pick up the slack when/if you need equipment replaced. But you need to be prepared for the scenario where you fall in with a group of other hikers and are having a great time on the trail, then you get to town and everyone checks into the motel and heads to the local watering hole for food and beer. You can't go with them. Say goodbye, head to the store and stock up on Ramen noodles, hitch back to the trail, and go sleep in the woods in the rain.

Mags
02-19-2013, 10:19
He is not hiking on $1500. He is hiking on $1500 plus whatever his parents put in for food , extra gear and other assorted emergencies.

$1500 + (What Parents kick in) = doable.

If that is the case, should not be a problem.

capehiker
02-19-2013, 11:27
When I first got thru hike fever 15 years ago, I remember the consensus was $1.00 - $1.50 a mile. It's interesting to me as time passes the cost of everything elevates and sometimes you don't even realize it. Now that I'm in planning mode, the cost $3,000-$5,000 is a little sticker shock. I plan on doing this without credit cards so I'm going to adjust my AT fund accordingly.

soulrebel
02-19-2013, 11:47
Are you currently homeless? If yes, then you'll do great!

soulrebel
02-19-2013, 11:48
Beer, mexican food, pizza, all that stuff just taste too good...

SawnieRobertson
02-19-2013, 12:28

WONDERFUL post!

Jalum
02-19-2013, 13:52
If you eat nothing but poptarts, ramen, tuna, bagels, cheese and trailmix, the thru hike will probably cost about $2300 in food alone. If your parents are maildropping that to you, and you have another $1500, you're good to go. But your budget is really $4000+, not $1500.

Portie
02-25-2013, 11:52
A few thoughts by someone who hasn't done much backpacking for many years:

1. Try to do the hike now, or soon, while you are still young.
2. If you can pull off the entire hike on a small budget, please keep and publish a journal of how you did it.
3. Definitely sell your music gear. I have found that getting rid of "stuff" is almost always a good idea. In the future you will have a job and it will be easy to replace your stuff. Also consider selling any spare camping gear you have.
4. Consider blogging about your trip and have a "Donations" link on your blog.
5. Have mom and dad email an extra bag or two of candy bars in each food box. You might be able to sell those to other hikers on the trail.
6. Any friends, relatives or family friends who live anywhere near the trail? They can pick you up, take you home for a shower and huge meal. In my case if a friend from college or grad school had a kid who was hiking the trail I'd definitely drive out to Brunswick and feed them.

Owf
02-26-2013, 20:15
I agree that the desire to eat food is very strong. Stronger than I have ever imagined it could be. All of a sudden, you become this machine that just hounds down food...your stomach turns into an empty pit. But you know...if you're really money-conscience and careful, you can stretch $1500 to last a while. Just...every time you see a restaurant..you're going to have to remind yourself to eat what's in your food bag instead. This will be hard when all of your friends are going to get town food. But here's a little secret: town food gives you the poops anyways. I splurged a lot on food for a while, but as I ran out of money quickly, I learned to just eat what I had in my food bag, as that was much cheaper. Although a rice side wasn't as satisfying as a pizza, food is fuel. Nothing more. It's our weak minds that cave into satisfying our taste buds. As long as you have food...you'll be okay. It doesn't have to be a greasy pizza from town. Don't let anybody tell you that you're not strong enough to deny town food. That's their own weakness that they're reflecting onto you. You'll only know once you get there. Doubt has killed more dreams than failure ever could.

canoe
02-26-2013, 21:05
Here is your solution. Save as much money as you can. Sell everything you can. Leave all the money with your folks. Get a credit card with a 5k limit. Let your folks pay the cc off or minimum. That will take you thru. If this is something you must do before you are 60 this is a way. You will have some debt on your return, but you said you will be getting a good job. Minimum payment on 5k is probably $150. Maybe more maybe less. If you cant qualify maybe your parents will co sign.

canoe
02-26-2013, 21:10
Where else can you go on vacation for 4/5 months for 5k?

Papa D
02-26-2013, 21:40

nowhere much - excellent point - helps a lot keep it in perspective - if I wasn't married with a kid, I might just live on the trail for 10K a year which could be done very easily - - I can make 10K in my business in about 2 or 3 months and live off that for 9 months - - for me, now, I pay for private school which is 15K per year and about 30K per year in living expenses - I own my home (modest) free and clear - - I guess that private school is a splurge but my kid is super smart and she likes it . . . .
when thru-hike again (5-7 years out) I'll probably do it with a 5K budget more or less but I maintain if someone was really frugal and on the cheap, it could be done for 2K or so.

canoe
02-26-2013, 21:54
nowhere much - excellent point - helps a lot keep it in perspective - if I wasn't married with a kid, I might just live on the trail for 10K a year which could be done very easily - - I can make 10K in my business in about 2 or 3 months and live off that for 9 months - - for me, now, I pay for private school which is 15K per year and about 30K per year in living expenses - I own my home (modest) free and clear - - I guess that private school is a splurge but my kid is super smart and she likes it . . . .
when thru-hike again (5-7 years out) I'll probably do it with a 5K budget more or less but I maintain if someone was really frugal and on the cheap, it could be done for 2K or so.
You are probably right. I was just saying 5k so as to satisfy the 5-7k ers.

Datto
02-27-2013, 22:04

Ha, if I was going to take a vacation I wouldn't thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. Absolutely no way is that a vacation. It's more of a quest. An insatiable challenge. A test of mettle.

Instead, for a vacation I'd go to the South Pacific or Latin America for several months and live the life of Riley on $5,000. Or go on a Mediterranean cruise accompanying Shania Twain as her personal man-servent. I could do that.

Although I speak often about all of the positive aspects of thru-hiking the AT, anyone looking at the AT as a vacation is in complete dreamland and sure to be surprised in a very big bad way. Might as well just drive down the highway and throw dollars out the car window. When it's raining of course.

Datto

prain4u
02-27-2013, 23:38
How much money should you have for a thru hike? Somewhere between $1 and $10,000,000 ought to do the trick.

RED-DOG
02-28-2013, 16:11
You will need alot more than what you have, I have thru-Hiked three times and last year 2012 i spent 6500 dollars and that was just for the basic stuff and remember the father north you go the more expensive it's going to be, i probably spent 60% of my budget from PA north, If you don't think you got enough money well you probably don't

Coffee
02-28-2013, 16:49
Seems to me that the true cost of a thru hike is the incremental cost beyond what someone would be paying off trail just in everyday life. So if you have to eat twice as much on the trail as at your desk job, then the incremental cost is what counts not the entire cost. The same is true for those who can put their stuff in storage and have no housing costs during the thru hike. Lots of offsetting expenses could reduce the true cost quite a bit, more so for the young and unattached who can probably get out of their apartment and not pay rent for the duration of the hike.

kidchill
02-28-2013, 18:40
I spent a ****-load of money on my thru...but I didn't care. I personally think $1500 is too little, unless your parents are CONSISTENTLY sending you food drops! Also, they are covering ALL costs of replacement gear. In the New England states, food IS expensive. Even eating cheapo, high-calorie, crap food...your resupply WILL be expensive. I, like others, am not saying it's not possible...but, you're gonna spend more then $1500 out there. I know you say you won't stay in hotels, but hostels cost money too. And really, food is your major expense on the trail and you HAVE to eat.

prain4u
02-28-2013, 19:33
Seems to me that the true cost of a thru hike is the incremental cost beyond what someone would be paying off trail just in everyday life. So if you have to eat twice as much on the trail as at your desk job, then the incremental cost is what counts not the entire cost. The same is true for those who can put their stuff in storage and have no housing costs during the thru hike. Lots of offsetting expenses could reduce the true cost quite a bit, more so for the young and unattached who can probably get out of their apartment and not pay rent for the duration of the hike.

Yes--but, no. One of the key difference is that (in everyday life back home) you typically still have income coming in. (Sort of like a financial balance sheet or profit/loss statement for a business). For most folks, the income ceases once the hike begins. Thus, there is no "income" only expenses. Thus, the "business" does not do as well! :)

hikerboy57
02-28-2013, 19:53
no matter how much you bring,you will be short about $50 with 2 days left.

Coffee
02-28-2013, 20:05
Back of envelope budget if I were to plan a AT thru hike of approximately 22 weeks in duration:

Trail food: $10/day x 154 days = ~$1,600 assuming resupplies en route (no mail drops)
Motels: $75/night x 22 nights (once per week) = ~$1,700
Town meals/expenses (1 town stop/week avg): $50 x 22 = ~$1,100
Miscellaneous expenses including gear replacement: $1,200
Transportation to/from start and end points and maybe a few shuttles: $1,000

Total: $6,600 And that's probably a pretty bare bones plan. FWIW, I haven't actually planned a AT thru but I've thought about it quite a bit.

I don't see how $1,500 is remotely possible (even with parents sending supplies) but I'd say the original poster should just figure out a way to do it - maybe a loan from family or friends that can be repaid by getting a job after the hike.

prain4u
03-01-2013, 09:15
Back of envelope budget if I were to plan a AT thru hike of approximately 22 weeks in duration:

Trail food: $10/day x 154 days = ~$1,600 assuming resupplies en route (no mail drops)
Motels: $75/night x 22 nights (once per week) = ~$1,700
Town meals/expenses (1 town stop/week avg): $50 x 22 = ~$1,100
Miscellaneous expenses including gear replacement: $1,200
Transportation to/from start and end points and maybe a few shuttles: $1,000

Total: $6,600 And that's probably a pretty bare bones plan. FWIW, I haven't actually planned a AT thru but I've thought about it quite a bit.

I don't see how $1,500 is remotely possible (even with parents sending supplies) but I'd say the original poster should just figure out a way to do it - maybe a loan from family or friends that can be repaid by getting a job after the hike.

I agree with you. Based on data supplied by "MapMan" on another post, it would appear that the typical thru hike lasts around 165 days (+/- a few days). There is almost NO way that you can do a thru hike for under $1,500--unless you are hiking CONSIDERABLY fewer days (or unless you are not counting ALL of the costs of the hike).

At 165 days of hiking--at just $9 per day for food---you will have spent $1,485 for just food. That essentially wipes out all of a $1,500 budget.

I would contend that it is pretty hard to keep ALL food costs below a $9 per day average (particularly when you are consuming 5,000 to 8,000 calories of food daily and purchasing that food at convenience stores and mom & pop grocery stores).

Even if you do a very fast 120 day hike--and spend just $8 per day for food--you will have spent $960 for food alone. That leaves only $540 for gear replacement, showers, laundry, fuel and all other expenses associated with just four months of living on the trail ($32 per week).

I just can't see how someone does a thru hike for under $1,500--unless they take frugality to a new extreme AND they are hiking at a pace that is rarely seen AND they have no costly gear malfunctions, medical expenses, or other costly mishaps during their hike. The chances of all three of those factors coming together in one hike are very rare indeed.

prain4u
03-02-2013, 12:54
On March 1, 2013, I went to my local, small-town, "mom & pop" convenience store located in rural Illinois. Yes, their prices are pretty high--but so are prices in many similar stores in trail towns. I looked at the prices and calories of the "non-perishable" types of items they had. I went home and then calculated what the cost would be for 5,000 calories of each item (before sales tax):

Honey Graham Crackers: $11.80

White Bread (sliced): $12.46

Oreos: $12.99

Ramen Noodles: $13.16

Ritz Crackers: $15.59

Summer Sausage: $15.74

SPAM: $18.47

Minute Rice: $21.36

Hard/Crunchy Taco Shells: $24.92

Beef Jerky: $ 166.46

If I bought enough graham crackers, white bread, Ramen noodles, and summer sausage to sustain me for four days (at 5,000 calories per day) the bill (prior to tax) would be $53.16--or $13.29 per day.

You can't do too many small town "convenience store" resupply trips and keep the thru hike budget under $1,500

Northbound2013
03-04-2013, 23:15
Oddin, Im going through the same thing. Fortunately I was able to test hike the AT last May in Hot Springs NC and met some great people who were minimulist and heavy packers. I've read the thread and there is a lot a great advise as I learned from Tom "Trekking Pol" while carrying 54lbs on my back it's not your planned out schedule that determines your hike it's the trail and the Mountain you're on that determines your progress. You will learn once you start that money is not everything as Thru-hiking is a brotherhood and no one will let you go hungry (but don't be a begger) and help is just around the corner. Start your Dream on your own and things will come as you need them. There are a lot of people who hike the AT with very little Tom carried a make shift shelter 5 days of food and a bookbag with less than 10 lbs of gear. All you need to carry is 5 days of food high in calories which is always the stuff worst for your body and normally cheap. If I get to start this year and see you out I'll buy you dinner "Happy Trails"!

Dirt Road

klsva
03-26-2013, 09:48
This is going to b e a little off the wall,but hear me out.Look on craigslist in your area for cases of mres.They are 12 to a case and provide good calorie and salt content.I can buy them in va for 50$ a case but there are a lot of milatary bases here 10 cases ,50 a pop,.120 dinners=4 months.Strip them out of their heavier packaging.See if your folks will pay to ship your boxes to you.Buy bulk oatmeal,ramen noodles.breakfast and lunch stuff(see dollar store).Now granted these are heavier than freeze dried or dehydrated meals,but your young and could probably handle the extra weight.Good luck young man!!!!Don't put it off if you can go now!!Humping those mtns when your 50 hurts a little!!

Swordpen
03-27-2013, 01:27
A few thoughts by someone who hasn't done much backpacking for many years:

1. Try to do the hike now, or soon, while you are still young.
2. If you can pull off the entire hike on a small budget, please keep and publish a journal of how you did it.
3. Definitely sell your music gear. I have found that getting rid of "stuff" is almost always a good idea. In the future you will have a job and it will be easy to replace your stuff. Also consider selling any spare camping gear you have.
4. Consider blogging about your trip and have a "Donations" link on your blog.
5. Have mom and dad email an extra bag or two of candy bars in each food box. You might be able to sell those to other hikers on the trail.

+1 this!!!!!!!!!

Bronk
03-27-2013, 02:38
Oddin, I didn't finish the trail...matter of fact I only did about 850 miles of it. But I spent a total of 4 months on the trail and spent between $1600 and $1700, which included travel by bus to Atlanta and paying for a shuttle to the trailhead, as well as a bus home when I was done. I got a shower and did laundry at a hostel at least once a week and stayed in a motel 3 times...average of about once a month. Got restaurant meals in every town I passed. Spent time with friends at the pub when it was available. Granted, this was 10 years ago, so costs have probably gone up, but I don't think by all that much. I'd bet I could do the same hike again for about $2500.

People spend money when they are in towns. There is no place to spend money on the trail. That is the key. My town strategy was to get into town, get a restaurant meal, get my laundry done, take a shower, get my resupply done and get the hell out of town. If you have to hitch back to the trail in the dark and then camp a few hundred feet up the trail from the road this is better than staying in town at a hostel, even if you've already paid the hostel for shower and laundry facilities and a shuttle...staying overnight in town will cost you two more town meals...because after you get your resupply done you'll get a second restaurant meal for dinner, a few beers and then a third restaurant meal for breakfast before you leave town. Get in and get out.

Take all of your zero days on the trail, not in town. I only took one zero day in town and that was for a medical issue. I always carried a couple extra days worth of food and took a lot of zero days on the trail at cool spots I found. That is why I took 4 months to go 850 miles.

Chaco Taco
03-28-2013, 22:09
yea you say that now, until a nasty heat wave rolls through or it rains for 5 days straight. When you get to VA, you will be eatting so much food that your consumption will skyrocket. I think I spent about $60-$70 every 4-5 days on food and that does not include town food, which you WILL eat and dont try to convince yourself you wont. $1500 dollars will get you to Damascus and that is about it. I think I did a room/ hostel in Hiawassee, Franklin, Standing Bear, Erwin and Damascus. Its easy to tell yourself and people on the internet what you will and will not do, but we hear this every couple of weeks and it typically ends the same way. Pick a section, go play for 2 months and go home. If I were you, I would either save money longer and go SOBO, do the Long Trail or Colorado Trail.

movinon1
03-30-2013, 10:23
Other people's hike is not your hike. I hiked the whole trail on about a thousand dollars. I stayed in a few hostels and ate food out every couple of weeks. Think about it. How much money do you spend at home on food? 50 bucks a week or so? That's $200/month or $1000/5 months. I did my hike a few years ago, so it probably costs a bit more now, but $5000? That sounds like staying in hotels every 4 days to me. Take what you got. Get a credit card with another thousand dollar limit and hit the trail. If you're headed out to hike, you'll have enough. If you're looking to party at the Doyle, well, you probably don't have enough. Make it happen!

wesleygalles
04-02-2013, 23:37
Other people's hike is not your hike. I hiked the whole trail on about a thousand dollars. I stayed in a few hostels and ate food out every couple of weeks. Think about it. How much money do you spend at home on food? 50 bucks a week or so? That's $200/month or $1000/5 months. I did my hike a few years ago, so it probably costs a bit more now, but $5000? That sounds like staying in hotels every 4 days to me. Take what you got. Get a credit card with another thousand dollar limit and hit the trail. If you're headed out to hike, you'll have enough. If you're looking to party at the Doyle, well, you probably don't have enough. Make it happen!

+1 on this sooooo much. $5000 sounds ludicrous to me.

jj2044
04-02-2013, 23:52
I never understood this guy.. he isn't leaving until 2014.... he says he will only have 1500 then..... why ??? I could mow yards and work odd jobs and come up with more then that... heck even donating plasma you get 200 a month!! that's 2400 right there, can you do it cheaper then 5k? yes but I wouldn't try a serious attempt with under 3k...

Chaco Taco
04-03-2013, 06:53

Congrats on doing that. It does help if you are a disciplined hiker and have your priorities in order. I also look at the OP's age and your age as well. This is where maybe seriously considering a SOBO comes in. If the OP is going to be able to do this and not risk temptation, there is less temptation going south. The vortex of town is diminished from what other SOBO's have told me.

Coosa
04-03-2013, 16:24
Save what you can, get a second job, sell what's gonna be out of date in 2015 ... and live frugally.

IF YOU WANT IT .......... it won't matter how much or how little you have ............... IF YOU WANT IT ........ you can make it happen.

The Question is ......... DO YOU WANT IT BADLY ENOUGH ........... or are you looking for a reason to give up?

Coosa

aficion
04-03-2013, 16:56
Save what you can, get a second job, sell what's gonna be out of date in 2015 ... and live frugally.

IF YOU WANT IT .......... it won't matter how much or how little you have ............... IF YOU WANT IT ........ you can make it happen.

The Question is ......... DO YOU WANT IT BADLY ENOUGH ........... or are you looking for a reason to give up?

Coosa

It will cost whatever it costs you for groceries for that period of time at home plus 40 to 50%. That is if your
plan of not spending money for lodging and restaurant meals in towns comes to fruition.