PDA

View Full Version : Close encounter of the bear kind

jimmyjam
02-10-2013, 19:54
Apparently not all bears are hibernating this winter. I went for a short shake down hike today in the SNP and had one nice plump fella try to have lunch with me. I had stopped on the trail between a pile of boulders out of the wind and I was waiting for my rice/pasta/chicken to finish cooking when I heard something coming up the mountain. I had just had two hikers and a dog pass thru about ten minutes earlier so I thought the dog had turned back to try and get some of my lunch. Then I decided it wasn't quite coming from the right direction and it was making more noise than a deer does. So I scampered up on top of the 6ft rock in front of me to have a look. About 40 ft away and coming straight at me was huge black fuzzy cannonball. I yelled "HEY GET OUTTA HERE!" and clapped my hands. By now the bear was within 30 feet. He looked up, startled, stopped and did a left turn and took off. He ran about 50 yards, stopped and turned back to look at me. I yelled at him again "I TOLD YOU TO GET OUTTA HERE!" clapped my hands some more and he barreled out of sight.
He was really a beautiful bear and probably in the 500+ pound range. I'm glad decided to climb up on the rock, can you imagine what would have happened if I didn't and he came around the corner?

Lesson learned: eat lunch on top of the rocks where you can be seen from all directions, even if it is windy.

BirdBrain
02-10-2013, 19:59
Biggest misnomer on the planet. Bears do not hibernate. None do. This should not detract from this compelling story of a "denning" bear. Just saying...

http://beartrust.org/do-bears-hibernate

hikerboy57
02-10-2013, 20:06
similar incident happened to me in harriman state park maybe 10 years ago, was sitting on top of a rock 8ft above the side of the trail, and saw a few hundred yds away what i thouught at first ws a dog,but the dog got bigger until i was able to see it was a small female.and im thinking "here i am eating tuna fish(although i doubt a black bear has ever tasted tuna fish)" so i put down my sandwich got up on my feet put my hands above my head and yelled at her "keep it moving", she walked right by me within a few feet without paying me no never mind and slowly made her way down the trail.just wasnt interested. i laughed,sat down and finished my sandwich, thinking "i showed her!"

Sarcasm the elf
02-10-2013, 20:08
Awesome story! Also, kudos for standing your ground and calling the bear's bluff, you probably did the big guy a favor in the long run!

HikerMom58
02-10-2013, 21:26
Nice bear story!!!!!

rocketsocks
02-10-2013, 21:36
Yep, way to hold your ground jimmyjam...that's about all I know how to do, clap hands and shout...

I mean S--t

canoe
02-10-2013, 22:55
What part of the trail were you on when the bear came to you?

jimmyjam
02-11-2013, 09:09
What part of the trail were you on when the bear came to you?
I was about 5 miles north of Rockfish Gap, just south of McCormick Gap. I was surprised that I was not scared. The whole thing was so surreal. All I could do for a minute or two afterward was think WOW did that really just happen? I only regret that I did not get a picture of the big guy he was absolutely beautiful.

Capt Nat
02-11-2013, 09:10
Good story, I take away that for bear encounters, break out in applause!

WingedMonkey
02-11-2013, 09:48
It's obvious you are more prepared to be in the woods than the hikers that abandon their packs or reach for the bear spray.

Encounters with wildlife should be a story to tell and a learning experience. Nothing to fear.

Pedaling Fool
02-11-2013, 10:37
Biggest misnomer on the planet. Bears do not hibernate. None do. This should not detract from this compelling story of a "denning" bear. Just saying...

http://beartrust.org/do-bears-hibernateNo, it's not the biggest misnomer, it's just a disagreement on definitions. Some call what bears do, Torpor, but others (including experts) refer to it as hibernation. I don't get into splitting hairs, and why I don't attempt to define Thru-hiker. :)

What the bears do is amazing and yes, they do wake up in winter if temps are warm enough.

This expains it well, and they do refer to it as hibernation: http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/hibernation.html

gizzy bear
02-11-2013, 10:48
similar incident happened to me in harriman state park maybe 10 years ago, was sitting on top of a rock 8ft above the side of the trail, and saw a few hundred yds away what i thouught at first ws a dog,but the dog got bigger until i was able to see it was a small female.and im thinking "here i am eating tuna fish(although i doubt a black bear has ever tasted tuna fish)" so i put down my sandwich got up on my feet put my hands above my head and yelled at her "keep it moving", she walked right by me within a few feet without paying me no never mind and slowly made her way down the trail.just wasnt interested. i laughed,sat down and finished my sandwich, thinking "i showed her!"

just glad it wasn't salmon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpIj6zyehOU

gizzy bear
02-11-2013, 10:51
just glad it wasn't salmon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpIj6zyehOU

it's old...but it STILL cracks me up...love the bear shuffle and roundhouse kick! :D

rocketsocks
02-11-2013, 12:07
That's a very funny video.....but I was voting for the Bear to kick the thief in the Ding Ding.

jimmyjam
02-11-2013, 12:34
That's a very funny video.....but I was voting for the Bear to kick the thief in the Ding Ding.
HaHa. Yeah I was pulling for the bear too. He did have some good moves.

Wise Old Owl
02-11-2013, 12:51
Darn no pics .... good story though.... do you wish you had pepper spray? Or you still going to skip it? ( I'm interested but on the fence, I don't carry one)

rocketsocks
02-11-2013, 12:56
Darn no pics .... good story though.... do you wish you had pepper spray? Or you still going to skip it? ( I'm interested but on the fence, I don't carry one)http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entry.php?7179-Mama-and-the-two-Bears

My shameless plug of a bear story...but no pics Woo, can't find em!

Train Wreck
02-11-2013, 13:10
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entry.php?7179-Mama-and-the-two-Bears

My shameless plug of a bear story...but no pics Woo, can't find em!

Did you use the pepper spray or just a regular old can of spray paint to scare them off? :D

jimmyjam
02-11-2013, 13:15
Darn no pics .... good story though.... do you wish you had pepper spray? Or you still going to skip it? ( I'm interested but on the fence, I don't carry one)
I have carried a can before on occasion, but I did not carry one yesterday. Based on yesterday's experience and a previous one with sow and 3 cubs and on all I've read- I do not think it is necessary on the AT. Although I'm sure Mrs. jimmyjam will try to get me to take it. Now if I was in grizzly territory- say GNP or Yellowstone- heck yeah- I'd probably carry 2 cans!
I think when in bear country: 1) make plenty of noise while you hike 2)when you have your food out do it where you can be seen from a distance (not sitting behind a boulder like I was) 3) do not eat where you camp 4) if approached make yourself appear as large as you can (as luck would have it I was standing on top of the boulder) and yell, clapped your hands and make a lot of noise.

I hike in the SNP fairly regularly and the SNP is Bear Central and I have never heard of anyone getting attacked. Food taken at campsites in Loft Mountain and Big Meadows- yep I've heard of that happening.

I'd be more scared of coyotes, wild boars, rabid racoons/skunks, ticks, black widow spiders, yellow jackets, etc.

So, no the spray is not going with me to Georgia.

rocketsocks
02-11-2013, 13:15
Did you use the pepper spray or just a regular old can of spray paint to scare them off? :DNo, as far as I no, they are still there....but I can't be sure, the whole encounter shook me pretty bad.;)

gizzy bear
02-11-2013, 13:52
No, as far as I no, they are still there....but I can't be sure, the whole encounter shook me pretty bad.;)

and righfully so RS... the ever elusive and OVER aggressive wooden statue bears are fierce!! well i once had a cousin that got a splinter once, during an attack!!!! that is why i ALWAYS carry my black and decker orbital sander when i go hiking...ALWAYS... it only weighs 7.6 pounds...and well worth every ounce!!! safety first...saftey first!!!

RF_ace
02-11-2013, 14:13
It's best to have it and not need it than need it an not have it, just my two pennies. It's quite a shocker when you drop trow and I wild creature decides to investigate the new fragrances in the air and they need a little incentive to leave

tdoczi
02-11-2013, 14:21
No, it's not the biggest misnomer, it's just a disagreement on definitions. Some call what bears do, Torpor, but others (including experts) refer to it as hibernation. I don't get into splitting hairs, and why I don't attempt to define Thru-hiker. :)

What the bears do is amazing and yes, they do wake up in winter if temps are warm enough.

This expains it well, and they do refer to it as hibernation: http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/hibernation.html

also without attempting to argue over what is the correct word usage it is worth noting that the winter activity of grizzlies and blacks is VERY different.

BirdBrain
02-11-2013, 14:29
also without attempting to argue over what is the correct word usage it is worth noting that the winter activity of grizzlies and blacks is VERY different.

Not gonna' argue. The story was the main point and the only interesting thing here. Perception is reality today. No sense in the debate. The story was real and very interesting.

BirdBrain
02-11-2013, 14:46
Allow me to take it a step further: I apologize to the OP for my irrelevant statement. I have a habit of posting the 1st thing that comes to mind with little thought of how others would view the information. I just thought, "here is a neat factoid while we are on the subject". It was irrelevant. This explains why most did not give it the time of day. I meant no harm.

The story is an adrenaline rush. The side point was distracting at best.

I live in a part of the country where bears are common. Even so, I have never seen one up close. I can only dream of such an experience.

jimmyjam
02-11-2013, 15:15
Allow me to take it a step further: I apologize to the OP for my irrelevant statement. I have a habit of posting the 1st thing that comes to mind with little thought of how others would view the information. I just thought, "here is a neat factoid while we are on the subject". It was irrelevant. This explains why most did not give it the time of day. I meant no harm.

The story is an adrenaline rush. The side point was distracting at best.

I live in a part of the country where bears are common. Even so, I have never seen one up close. I can only dream of such an experience.

BirdBrain,

I did not take any offense to your post. It did get my heart thumping good. But I remained calm and I did sit back down and finish lunch-sitting on top of my new found boulder perch. Now when I finished lunch I packed my stuff up and turned back south as I had scared the bear to run off to the north- I might be a little crazy but I'm no fool. HaHa- besides it was almost time for me to turn around away.

ATMountainTime
02-11-2013, 15:25
I yelled "HEY GET OUTTA HERE!" and clapped my hands. By now the bear was within 30 feet. He looked up, startled, stopped and did a left turn and took off. He ran about 50 yards, stopped and turned back to look at me. I yelled at him again "I TOLD YOU TO GET OUTTA HERE!" clapped

Good thing it wasn't one of those Jersey bears. he woulda said "Hey, YO, You talkin to me?" "Huh?" "Ill bust ya wif my wrench in da jaw"

jimmyjam
02-11-2013, 15:27
Naw he was a good 'ol southern boy, he understood my southern drawl perfectly.

ATMountainTime
02-11-2013, 16:07
Naw he was a good 'ol southern boy, he understood my southern drawl perfectly.

Good story though. Funny, you can ready everything, plan everything but when it's game time and you see one...youll still get your heart racing!!!! ive never gotten to see one up that close.

saw an Elk in October(rutting season), on the trail in GSNP. Man it sure puts your life into perspective. glad everything went well on this encounter.

leaftye
02-11-2013, 16:35
He was really a beautiful bear and probably in the 500+ pound range. I'm glad decided to climb up on the rock, can you imagine what would have happened if I didn't and he came around the corner?

You'd probably wish you were over a cat hole. :-?

Good moves. Were you scared, and did that come into play?

Some people here have talked about hikers that are very reluctant to confront a bear, and that seems very logical, and I can't fault anyone for that. All I know is that when I was doing trail maintenance in the Sierras and bears visited our site twice, I was scared, but that didn't deter me at all from doing what I knew needed to get done, that is, getting fully out of my tent to holler at the bears and run them off. In the second case that was literal. I had to run at the bears while chucking logs and hollering to get them to run all the way away. I had to pee badly afterwards.

jimmyjam
02-11-2013, 17:09
[QUOTE=leaftye;1415111]You'd probably wish you were over a cat hole. :-?

Good moves. Were you scared, and did that come into play?

leaftye,

No surprisingly I really wasn't scared. I didn't have time to be. By the time I decided to climb up the rock to see what was coming, he was on me. I mean he really did look like a big black fuzzy cannonball shooting straight up at me. My mind went Holy Crap and then instinct took over. This was my second encounter with bears so I kind of knew from the first what to expect.
The first experience was when I was charged by a sow and her three cubs while I was in my car pulling a camping trailer. Basically did something similar- flashed my lights, laid on the horn and the bears did a 90 degree turn and ran down the mountain. Now during that encounter Mrs jimmyjam did manage to get some pictures. Again it was in Bear Central- SNP.

Hot Flash
02-12-2013, 14:46
The only time I've seen a bear at very close range was many years ago in King's Canyon National park. I was packing by myself and had stepped several yards off the trail to take care of "business". There I was, squatting in the bushes near a big fallen tree, when all of a sudden a black bear came around the end of the deadfall and stopped about ten feet in front of me. I leaped up, yelled "HOLY ShHH**********TT!!" and I think I scared the poor thing as much as it scared me because it made a startled whuff, did a spinning-bear-ballet on what seemed like one toe and shot out of there like a rocket. I don't think my heart stopped pounding until I was a good mile down the trail.