support (prayers and financial). In order to purchase
the property we will need investors and contributions
to help out. That's where you come in. We need all the
help we can get. If you or anyone you know would be
interested in this huge endeavor, please don't
hesitate to call or email us.

This is a positive cash flow operation. It will be a
one stop-shop for hikers and travellers alike, making
it convenient and easily accessible by trail or road.

This hostel will include store/gift shop, game room,
TV lounge, library, laundry facilities, internet &
phone access, full kitchen with dining hall, private
rooms, bunkhouse w/fireplace, and plenty of parking
for everyone. This will need a staff of at least five
to maintain and operate in peak season (March-Nov.)

For more information, e-mail or call (256)655-2697.
We're ready to move on this property.

Sincerely,
Ray & Loretta Johnson
(Skipper & Dusty)
[email protected]
.................................................. .................................................. .....
Ray and Loretta Johnson run the Harpers Ferry Hostel and their tour of duty is up at the end of this month. I have known these two beautiful people for almost three years now. About the time I met them was about the time I met Sarge.
But anyhow I know for a fact that these two have helped countless of hikers out and there may just be a few floating around here.
So if you want to pitch in and help, do so. If you can't, at least toss them an email and lend your thoughts.........

Jaybird
06-10-2005, 14:41
Yo Wanderer...

several questions...are they the "caretakers" of this hostel now?
IF this is a "postive" cash flow biz now...why are they wanting us hikers to donate funds?

just curious... :-?

since, on my section-hikes...i havent had the pleasure of staying @ this particular hostel yet, i dont know about this hostel...any un-biased info. would be appreciated. :D

Footslogger
06-10-2005, 15:03
I think Ray and Loretta thru-hiked the AT but I forget which year. Seems to me that they were caretakers of the AYHA (American Youth Hostel Association) hostel just outside of Harpers Ferry when I passed through in 2003.

'Slogger

chomp
06-10-2005, 15:37
I don't know if I buy this. Most of the hostels that I know of barely break even. As busy as Miss Janet is, she still needs to work another job just to pay her bills.

Lone Wolf
06-10-2005, 15:38
The Lord will provide.

TOW
06-10-2005, 16:45
listen guys, they sent me that, i just copied it and pasted it here. i figured that some of you guys might know them. Jaybird, they are the caretakers of the Harpers Ferry Hostel which is located in Knoxville, Maryland right across the river from HF and just off the C&O Canal Trail which runs along side the AT in that Part of the country.Fooslogger, Ray & Loretta did hike the trail in 2001 and went by the trail names of "Skipper and Dusty". Ray has also thru hiked the PCT and is retired from the Navy. And by the way Lone Wolf, your right, The LORD wil provide, HE always does!

Frosty
06-10-2005, 20:48
And by the way Lone Wolf, your right, The LORD wil provide, HE always does!Why do people say "The Lord will provide" and then ask for money?

Lone Wolf
06-10-2005, 20:53
Hostels and shelters are the same. They ain't needed. Wanted maybe. Way too many of both.

TOW
06-10-2005, 21:55
Why do people say "The Lord will provide" and then ask for money?because christians like myself know that people like you have money and since we believe the Lord will provide and believe that you don't need as much of "your" money that is actually "HIS" money as you think you do i'd like you to send me a good chunk of it.............

Lone Wolf
06-10-2005, 21:59
A scam in the name of the Lord. Swaggert, Jim Jones, Baker, etc., etc. Buy a tent and hike.

TOW
06-10-2005, 22:21
horsecrap Lone Wolf, don't tell me you never used the services of a hostel or two? what about the kincora?

Lone Wolf
06-10-2005, 22:32
Never stayed at Kincora.

TOW
06-10-2005, 23:01
what about Mt Rogers Outfitters Hostel?

Frosty
06-10-2005, 23:35
because christians like myself know that people like you have money and since we believe the Lord will provide and believe that you don't need as much of "your" money that is actually "HIS" money as you think you do i'd like you to send me a good chunk of it............. I have met some very fine religious (not limited to Christians) people, many of whom offered to help me while hiking and at other times. Sometimes their generosity astounded me. None asked for money. I think paying back in service to others is better. I fear that many who say, "I have this great idea for a community service, but a need a boatload of money first" really just want me to send them a big chunk of my money.

I think the best way to repay those kind folk who helped me is by helping someone else who would not expect to be helped.

I've also met some rather unpleasant people who claim to be highly religious but seem to lack any spirituality.

But I guess I'm a long way from talking about the Appalachian Trail now.

Lone Wolf
06-11-2005, 06:14
No Wanderer, I have never stayed at MRO hostel. I do not stay in hostels. Most are too crowded, noisy, dirty.

TOW
06-11-2005, 07:08
[QUOTE=Frosty]I have met some very fine religious (not limited to Christians) people, many of whom offered to help me while hiking and at other times. Sometimes their generosity astounded me. None asked for money. I think paying back in service to others is better. I fear that many who say, "I have this great idea for a community service, but a need a boatload of money first" really just want me to send them a big chunk of my money.

I think the best way to repay those kind folk who helped me is by helping someone else who would not expect to be helped.

QUOTE]Frosty, I understand what your saying bud. But you guys are jumping right to a conclusion here. Read the letter again, where does it say anywhere in the name of GOD please help us with your money? All Loretta says here is that the LORD led us. Satan has got you decieved.
I'll tell you something pal, I believe the LORD leads me to do alot of things. I talk to HIM about everything in my life and I believe HE gives HIS answer to them.....................quit attacking for no reason......

wacocelt
06-11-2005, 09:09
because christians like myself know that people like you have money and since we believe the Lord will provide and believe that you don't need as much of "your" money that is actually "HIS" money as you think you do i'd like you to send me a good chunk of it.............

Now I've heard some repugnant shyte in my day, but this here takes the cake. We're all just God's little coin purses hiking around dispensing his pennies of rightousness into the eagerly waiting hands of his petty sycophantic follwers. HIS money, hahahahahahaha!! I'll leave something in your collection plate alright...

Bolivershagnasty
06-11-2005, 09:36
Well I took from the letter that "the lord" lead them to want to create a hostil biz for "us" hikers and to make a meger living doing something they love. If they are thru hikers they are true hikers and deserve the same respect as any others. It's not a big deal, e mail them and get the facts find out what their plans are. They might just have t good idea, there still some out there ya know. If you like what you hear send them 20 bucks and if you get ripped off then so what, at least you had it in "your" heart to do something positive and you lost 20 bucks. (you blew 20 bucks on pizza and beer last night, least I did) If you don't like what you hear then dont send anything and continue to bad mouth them but at least with the knowledge of having an EDUCATED opion. They asked for "investers" and made the statement of being a positive cast flow. To those who dont understand biz slang that means "an oportunity" FOR YOU if this is the kind of thing "you love to do too" and to the investers that YOU WILL MAKE A PROFIT TOO if it goe's over. They apparently have been working with hikers for awhile and I'm sure understand most don't have anything or much to contribute. They were just asking for your support when you come through. How many hiker boxes have you sifted through in your lifetime? Thats a contribution I've never heard anyone gripping about. And everyone who pitches something in there isn't some poor hiker.

Skyline
06-11-2005, 09:56
I pretty much agree with Lone Wolf about hostels and shelters, tho there ARE some notable exceptions for both. Anyway, it's only an opinion that usually keeps me away from these places but I still see the value in having them for those who don't share my views.

TOW
06-11-2005, 10:21
Now I've heard some repugnant shyte in my day, but this here takes the cake. I'll leave something in your collection plate alright...yea, you get cocky with me and i'm one of them ole christian boys that don't turn the other cheek so fast.........

TOW
06-11-2005, 10:35
Well I took from the letter that "the lord" lead them to want to create a hostil biz for "us" hikers and to make a meger living doing something they love. If they are thru hikers they are true hikers and deserve the same respect as any others. It's not a big deal, e mail them and get the facts find out what their plans are. They might just have t good idea, there still some out there ya know. If you like what you hear send them 20 bucks and if you get ripped off then so what, at least you had it in "your" heart to do something positive and you lost 20 bucks. (you blew 20 bucks on pizza and beer last night, least I did) If you don't like what you hear then dont send anything and continue to bad mouth them but at least with the knowledge of having an EDUCATED opion. They asked for "investers" and made the statement of being a positive cast flow. To those who dont understand biz slang that means "an oportunity" FOR YOU if this is the kind of thing "you love to do too" and to the investers that YOU WILL MAKE A PROFIT TOO if it goe's over. They apparently have been working with hikers for awhile and I'm sure understand most don't have anything or much to contribute. They were just asking for your support when you come through. How many hiker boxes have you sifted through in your lifetime? Thats a contribution I've never heard anyone gripping about. And everyone who pitches something in there isn't some poor hiker. right on man! thankyou for putting it exactly the way it is. these people are good people! man i had a profound spiritual experince at the rod hollow shelter on sept 17, 2003 and i was in shock over it. these people took me in. i had come to the end of the rope that i was hanging myself with and it was either time to get on with the dying or get on with the living. i stayed there until i left for north carolina to turn myself in to the law, i had lived on that trail for three years running from the law in three different states, i was released from prison after doing a total of 14 months and all charges dropped and my rights restored. ray and loretta gave me food, lodging, love and the day i left there they gave me an envelope and asked me not to open it till i was well on my way, i wished i would have saved the card but they gave me a 100 bucks! while i was in prison they sent me books to read and more money so that i could go to the canteen. and not only them but there were others there in the HF area. i know if they haelped me the way they did, then surely there are others of the trail that have experienced their kindness and it pains me to a point to hear this garbage from these guys bad mouth someone that would give them their last dollar or meal just to see them improve their circumstance. i'm now glad i posted this so i could read what you had to say! thankyou man!

wacocelt
06-11-2005, 11:07
yea, you get cocky with me and i'm one of them ole christian boys that don't turn the other cheek so fast.........

Neato! I'm a Pagan Savage who loves full contact Christian Ethics, by the way, internet threats scare the bejeezum outta me, asshat.

Back to the topic, I wish the best to the folks with thier hostel and will help as I can. I believe they could have found a better representative to convey thier message however.

TOW
06-11-2005, 11:57
No Wanderer, I have never stayed at MRO hostel. I do not stay in hostels. Most are too crowded, noisy, dirty.i bet you live in a sod house there in damascus don't ya?

TOW
06-11-2005, 12:00
Neato! I'm a Pagan Savage who loves full contact Christian Ethics, by the way, internet threats scare the bejeezum outta me, asshat.

Back to the topic, I wish the best to the folks with thier hostel and will help as I can. I believe they could have found a better representative to convey thier message however.perhaps your right, but what kinda representitive are you, of whatever it is that you believe in, with that previous quote?

wacocelt
06-11-2005, 12:40
perhaps your right, but what kinda representitive are you, of whatever it is that you believe in, with that previous quote?

I believe that...

I am a spirit in search of experince.
I embrace the highest motives of man, to create.
I have faith, which signifies that I live a spiritual life.
I overcome adversity with an open heart and an open mind.

It's been fun bantering with you ToW, gotta pack up and hit the trail. Be well.

TOW
06-11-2005, 13:37
It's been fun bantering with you ToW, gotta pack up and hit the trail. Be well.have a safe walk...................and be blessed

Frosty
06-11-2005, 14:46
quit attacking for no reason......It wasn't an attack, it was a comment. The guilty get defensive where no man accuseth.

I never understood religious arguments and wars. Faith is believing even when others don't. Faith shouldn't require you to make everyone agree with you.

But now I'm even further away from talking about the AT.

Good luck getting your money

TOW
06-11-2005, 14:52
Frosty? Didn't Frosty the snowman melt?

TOW
06-11-2005, 15:12
here's an update, the hostel will be located in Harpers Ferry near the KOA..........

Bolivershagnasty
06-12-2005, 00:25
My daughter and I will definatly be staying there soon just to contribute to the cause. I'm even gona leave an extra 100.00 in the tip jar, for the only wanderer. Guys we have to take care of each other no matter what. WE are all WE have on this trail. We just gotta.

TOW
06-12-2005, 01:58
My daughter and I will definatly be staying there soon just to contribute to the cause. I'm even gona leave an extra 100.00 in the tip jar, for the only wanderer. Guys we have to take care of each other no matter what. WE are all WE have on this trail. We just gotta. yes we do and we have to influence the garbage thinkers into better thinking, I like the way you put things dude.

and you know whats neat about this trail and probably the other trails too, we are all part of the subculture, no matter what walk of life we come from.......

Lone Wolf
06-12-2005, 08:24
Bears Den hostel is 20 miles from HF and Blackburn AT Center is 12 away. Don't need another hostel in HF. They're becoming like Wal-Marts. Popping up everywhere. Dime a dozen.

TOW
06-12-2005, 09:36
Bears Den hostel is 20 miles from HF and Blackburn AT Center is 12 away. Don't need another hostel in HF. They're becoming like Wal-Marts. Popping up everywhere. Dime a dozen.you got a point there, you know you really got a point. i think i'll take that one to them. actually why don't you email them yourself? [email protected]

TakeABreak
06-12-2005, 09:51
I have two thoughts on this,

1) A year round hostel would nice in HF, especially one that accepts and holds mail drops, even if they charge a fee for people that do not stay the night. I would also like to see some of the others places start providing showers and laundry for a fee, for those who do not want to stay the night, I know some already do, but not all. A little bit of a revenue is better than none.

2) With the current hostels in the area, another location probably would have been better and generated more revenue, there are several places in VA, MD, PA, on north where the hostels are not very close to the trail and even long sections where there aren't any. I am not a hostel jumper (going from one to the other), but as stated above I do like to get a shower, do laundry and pickup a mail drop, about everydays 5 days on the trail.

I also prefer to be able to walk to the hostel instead of having to hitch, I have been going over the data book and companion trying to plan a nobo thru hike where I could walk the whole way without hitching into to town the whole way, and I have to say there some area's where it going to be tough to do.

Lion King
06-12-2005, 11:57
Now I've heard some repugnant shyte in my day, but this here takes the cake. We're all just God's little coin purses hiking around dispensing his pennies of rightousness into the eagerly waiting hands of his petty sycophantic follwers. HIS money, hahahahahahaha!! I'll leave something in your collection plate alright........................................... ...............................................

TakeABreak
06-12-2005, 16:55
Well some of these hostels barely break even and most surely are not getting rich at what they are doing, many are opening up their doors simply out of the goodness of their hearts. I have in the past left a few extra dollars in jars of some and others paid exactly what they were asking, simply because that was what I felt led to do at the time and have no regrets.

If in the future, if I am blessed with the opportunity to do another long distance hike, I will do the same. If God, gives me a generous surplus then there are some hostels, to which I would send an anonimous money order to ensure their future survivability and help them, for those who stay without paying. Remember The Place was once looking at closing in past. Then past, current & future hikers (at the time) reached into their pockets and gave what they could and they renovated The Place and it is still open, which I am grateful for. What I am trying to say here, is if don't want to stay at hostels then don't, but I am glad they are there, I truely showers and clean shorts.

And I am sure that most of you will also agree, that the hostels; Kincora, The Place, The Holy Family Church and Church of the Mountain, have been kind and helpful to hikers in the past and have not asked for much in return except a small donation to cover part of their cost and a little respect of their rules. Which on a personal drives me nuts that every year a few, can not even do that, their parents must real proud of what they produced.

I will say this and leave it be, I have a 69 year uncle who recently told my older sister that he was going to start going to church, simply because, he said, ever since my dad (who is 76 and in excellent health) gave up drinking and started going to church over 40 years ago, life has been a lot easier for him than any of his brothers.

Bolivershagnasty
06-13-2005, 00:26
Well here's a concept, MORE COMPETITION! Brings prices down and gives you more options. sounds like there trying to do a "truck stop" type deal which would be nice to do a "one stop shop" ZERO day. Plus have someone who really cares, especially when your cash flow might be alittle challenging. Would you wash some dishes for a meal or maybe do some weeding in the garden out back? I for one would love to find a "hostle" that was open year round just because my daughter and I delibertly go find somewhere in the mountains when we know it's going to snow us in for a few days just for the purpous of "getting snowed in". Usally when that is going to happen we can't find anywhere open and have spent many nights sleeping in the 4WD cab. A full acomidation hostil in the mountains would be a God send that I could stay at without the Hyatt prices and have the company of "you" and or others "like us". See ya there.

Heater
06-13-2005, 00:40
Well here's a concept, MORE COMPETITION! Brings prices down and gives you more options. sounds like there trying to do a "truck stop" type deal which would be nice to do a "one stop shop" ZERO day. Plus have someone who really cares, especially when your cash flow might be alittle challenging. Would you wash some dishes for a meal or maybe do some weeding in the garden out back? I for one would love to find a "hostle" that was open year round just because my daughter and I delibertly go find somewhere in the mountains when we know it's going to snow us in for a few days just for the purpous of "getting snowed in". Usally when that is going to happen we can't find anywhere open and have spent many nights sleeping in the 4WD cab. A full acomidation hostil in the mountains would be a God send that I could stay at without the Hyatt prices and have the company of "you" and or others "like us". See ya there.
NO! This is what we don't want to happen! WHY would you want to commercialize the trails? By stating you want "MORE COMPETITION" that is exactly what you are suggesting! May as well just start popping up Mickey D's at every trailhead, huh? Sell the freaking trail to disney...

Bolivershagnasty
06-13-2005, 00:57
Austex thats alittle "the sky is falling" attitude isn't it. Were talking 3 bizs within 30 miles of trail isn't it? A full one stop shop might raise the bar for accomidaitions. Why do you think Wal Mart is the biggest biz in the world? They give you what you want in one stop. Have you EVER shopped there? I dont on a regural basis but I do from time to time. But it's nice to stop there when your close to it knowing you get what you need at a better price. I shop alot of places thats more expensive just to contribute to the local ecomony. I stop and buy honey on the side of the road that I give away to support local familys. I dont eat honey. I don't care about the 5 bucks. No I don't want a "Wally World" on the trail but I do want a "good product for a good price". What do you pay for the nastiest shelter on the AT? What do you pay for a new one .5 miles up the trail? Which do you stay at for the same price?

bearbait2k4
06-13-2005, 01:16
Is this the Youth Hostel that completely shuts hikers out of their building during the day?

Just curious.

TOW
06-13-2005, 01:30
Is this the Youth Hostel that completely shuts hikers out of their building during the day?

Just curious.the last time i was there they allowed hikers that were already registered to stay during the day, but no new ones till they reopened at 5 pm.............

A-Train
06-13-2005, 15:38
Honestly this area doesn't need another hostel. You got the Terrapin hostel near Front Royal, then Bears Den a day or two later, then Balckburn a half day later. Also the Lesser and Garvey shelters are Mecca-like shelters and free. Just send mail to the ATC, pick up your grub and stay at Garvey, an easy 6 miles north

TOW
07-06-2005, 20:37
this hostel will not only be for thru-hikers but the whole outdoor sporting community, hikers, bikers, rafters, kayakers, climbers, cavers, etc.

this hostel will have a library, well stocked store, cafe, internet, game room with pool tables, TV lounge, laundry, shuttle services, work for stay, The Outfitters of Harpers Ferry will have an annex there as well......

the good point is you will not have to go to wal-mart for resupply.

right now we are just waiting for the previous owners to move out and will update as information becomes available.

we would like to have the four pines in catawba, but that is still up in the air.

does anyone have any further opinions?

Nean
07-07-2005, 05:55
I don't think the hostels or shelters are there for those who don't want or need them. If someday hikers can/will hike from hostel to hostel what do I care. If I had the money Lone Wolf has I'd stay in a hotel too!:)

Lone Wolf
07-07-2005, 07:27
What or who gives you the impression I have "money"?

The Solemates
07-07-2005, 09:33
I hate to be the bad guy, but the caretakers at the HF hostel when we went thru in '04 were the rudest people on the entire trail, hands down. I would in no way decide to help them out because that is far from what they did for us. Among many other things, they told us at 7:45AM that we had to be out of the room at 8AM because they were leaving and hikers couldnt be there if they werent there. I wouldnt have minded if they told us the night before, but to kick us out all of a sudden was ridiculous.

I dont know if its the same people or not, but it sounds like these guys have been caretakers for at least a few years, so Im willing to bet it is.

TOW
07-07-2005, 13:52
[QUOTE=The Solemates]

I dont know if its the same people or not, but it sounds like these guys have been caretakers for at least a few years, so Im willing to bet it is.

i'm sorry you guys had a bad experience with ray and loretta, but i was not there and cannot comment on your experience.

however i do know these people very well, i am with them in alabama right now. as far as i am concerned they are very good people who care for others very much. i have witnessed and heard from different people of their acts of kindness.

by the way, they were running that place the way they were instructed to do so from the owners and i have never seen them get rude with anyone unless they warranted it.

so i really don't believe they were rude to you first....

The Solemates
07-07-2005, 14:28
[QUOTE=The Solemates]

so i really don't believe they were rude to you first....

just like you said, you werent there. but instead, you did decide to comment on my experience anyways, thus debunking your own argument.

we did nothing to merit their rudeness. i must admit they did go out of their way to pick us up at HF Outfitters because it was pouring raining, but they certainly werent that friendly about it, nor were they friendly when we arrived to the hostel. just calling it like it is...

TOW
07-07-2005, 14:38
just like you said, you werent there. but instead, you did decide to comment on my experience anyways, thus debunking your own argument.

....i sure did didn't i, anyway....hope if you meet them again, you'll have a better experience with them...probably caught them on a bad day...i've seen them when they were having a bad day.....

The Solemates
07-07-2005, 17:18
oh..and they charged us $5 for the 10 minute ride from the outfitters to the hostel...

TOW
07-07-2005, 20:20
oh..and they charged us $5 for the 10 minute ride from the outfitters to the hostel...what since you were hiking the trail, you shouldn't have to pay for the gas? this ain't the old days when gas was .75 cents a gallon.

i've stayed in a few places where i was charged for every little thing.

why don't you email me personally and we'll talk about this.

LIhikers
07-11-2005, 18:12
A couple of summers ago my wife and I section hiked central PA. Just as things would have it we found ourselves in Pine Grove Furnace State Park on our anniversary. We spent the night in the hostel there and enjoyed showers, a "private" room (only one other person there that night) and some fresh fruit from the general store. It made it a special day, especially since it was unplanned.

Smile
07-11-2005, 20:28
The Pine Grove Furnace hostel IMO is a huge waste of money, when you can get a shower and towel for $3 or $4. Otherwise, it was $24 + $2 for a "bag" to sleep in (can't use your own bag) and shelter like sleeping with many others. Why not just say $26 for the night?
At the campground...you can get up to 4 people per site for $14.00 but there are no showers....the lake is nice after dark if you arrive late, good place to rinse off....the campground was noisy though, they allow pets and there was one barking little dog that wouldn't shut up the night we were there. Some hostels are cool though......