PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hiking starting March 1st. When/where should I expect to need my winter gear?

Juicy
02-10-2013, 21:25
Dear people,

I am planning on thru-hiking beginning on March 1st, 2014. About where or when should I plan on mailing my winter gear back home? Also, where should I plan on having it mail dropped back to me once again? In other words, what sections of the hike will I be needing my winter gear, and what section will I be needing only my summer gear? I'm sure there are conflicting opinions on this, so I'm interested in hearing what all think. Thank you!

Nico

kayak karl
02-10-2013, 21:50
its not a place, but a time. depending on the weather maybe end of March and back if your not done in October.

Datto
02-10-2013, 22:01
If you start March 1st, mail your winter gear back home between Pearisburg, VA (if it's a warm Spring) and Waynesboro, VA (Rockfish Gap on the AT, just before Shenandoah if it's a cold Spring -- since you'll be outdoors a lot, heh, you'll know if it's a warm Spring or a cold Spring).

Pick up your warm gear again at the post office in Glencliff, NH (just before the White Mountains of New Hampshire) assuming the post office there is still in operation after the postal service cutbacks coming this year.

Datto

bigcranky
02-10-2013, 22:02
Pearisburg, VA. Wait until after Mt Rogers.

End of March is too early IMHO.

max patch
02-10-2013, 22:08
Pearisburg VA and Hanover NH

Slo-go'en
02-10-2013, 22:20
Depends on the weather and don't be fooled by a few warm or cold days.

Sensei
02-10-2013, 22:53
It's conditional, like everyone has already said. But absolutely DO NOT mail your winter gear home until after Mt. Rogers. Going over Rogers and the Grayson Highlands on April 5th was the coldest day of my hike, by far. Hanover, NH is a good place to pick up winter gear again, although depending on when you get there you may find you do not need it. Definitely err on the side of caution, though.

You'll continue to have tons of people tell you March 1st is too early to start a thru-hike. This is absolutely not true. Sure, you'll probably hit more cold weather in the South, but if you pack wisely this isn't a problem. Also, there's a lot to be said for starting and staying ahead of the pack. It's still the A.T., so it's not like you're going to be lonely, but you won't have to deal with as many packed shelter/hostel issues. I started my thru on Feb. 20th and did not regret the decision.

evyck da fleet
02-11-2013, 01:54
Mailed home my winter gear last year in Pearisburg but would have liked to have my wool hat and running gloves for the first hour of hiking the next few days. Had my winter gear sent back to me in Hanover (PO is within sight of the AT) because it looked like I might hit Glencliff on the weekend(which I did after 4pm on a Saturday). So you have options based on the weather and day you'll hit towns.

Juicy
02-11-2013, 04:09
I know March 1st is early on the spectrum of when people leave, but I just thought it was common sense so I would be under less pressure and could throw in a few more zero days. How cold did it get at the beginning of your hike? Some people say it gets down to 15 but is that common?

prain4u
02-11-2013, 06:18
Mailed home my winter gear last year in Pearisburg but would have liked to have my wool hat and running gloves for the first hour of hiking the next few days.

I almost always have a "warm" hat of some kind--and at least some light gloves with me--even in warm weather. You just never know on some mornings and evenings what the weather will be like.

prain4u
02-11-2013, 06:36
I know March 1st is early on the spectrum of when people leave, but I just thought it was common sense so I would be under less pressure and could throw in a few more zero days. How cold did it get at the beginning of your hike? Some people say it gets down to 15 but is that common?

This is part of what I posted on another thread....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I did some checking on the historical weather data for Franklin, NC and Gatlinburg, TN. I looked day-by-day at the RECORD low temp for each day and the AVERAGE low temp for each day.

In the first 15 days of March at Franklin, NC:
The AVERAGE daily low temps ranged from 32-35 degrees.
The RECORD daily low temps ranged from 2 degrees to 16 degrees

From March 8th thru March 31st at Gatlinburg, TN:

The AVERAGE daily low temps ranged from 34 degrees to 42 degrees.
The RECORD daily low temps ranged between 12 degrees and 24 degrees.

We need to remember that these weather reporting stations are not necessarily at the highest and coldest/windiest elevations. Where you will be hiking and camping WILL PROBABLY BE COLDER AND MORE WINDY!

Here is the real kicker--WINDCHILL FACTORS:

2 degree air temp with a 10 mph wind means it will feel like MINUS 14 degrees
2 degree air temp with a 20 mph wind means it will feel like MINUS 20 degrees

10 degree air temp with a 10 mph wind means it will feel like MINUS 4 degrees
10 degree air temp with a 20 mph wind means it will feel like MINUS 9 degrees

15 degree air temp with a 10 mph wind means it will feel like 3 degrees
15 degree air temp with a 20 mph wind means it will feel like MINUS 3 degrees
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

That should give you an idea of the averages and the "worst case scenario". Some folks pack clothing and gear based upon the "average" temps. Some folks pack lighter and hope it is a warm year. Personally, I like to be prepared for "worst case scenario".

I don't know how "common" days at 15 degrees and lower are. However, personally, I would hate to be packed for just 35 degrees and then get even ONE 10 degree day (or night) with a 20 mph wind (windchill of minus 9 degrees). How many nights like that is "too many" for you? :)

Hike Your Own Hike. Your Mileage may Vary.

BrianLe
02-11-2013, 12:55
With a late Feb start, Pearisburg and Glenncliff were what I planned. Pearisburg worked great, I would go for that too. As I got closer to Glenncliff I called my wife and started changing out what I was asking to be mailed there. I had kept my pace up reasonably well and just didn't see a need for much "winter" gear, so I mostly used the same gear from Pearisburg to the end (I finished in late July). But I think it's wise to have a provision to get warmer gear before going into the Whites.

Monkeywrench
02-12-2013, 08:45
If you start March 1st, mail your winter gear back home between Pearisburg, VA (if it's a warm Spring) and Waynesboro, VA (Rockfish Gap on the AT, just before Shenandoah if it's a cold Spring -- since you'll be outdoors a lot, heh, you'll know if it's a warm Spring or a cold Spring).

Pick up your warm gear again at the post office in Glencliff, NH (just before the White Mountains of New Hampshire) assuming the post office there is still in operation after the postal service cutbacks coming this year.

Datto

+1 Exactly what I was gonna say.

punkin pie
02-12-2013, 19:21
Dear people,

I am planning on thru-hiking beginning on March 1st, 2014. About where or when should I plan on mailing my winter gear back home? Also, where should I plan on having it mail dropped back to me once again? In other words, what sections of the hike will I be needing my winter gear, and what section will I be needing only my summer gear? I'm sure there are conflicting opinions on this, so I'm interested in hearing what all think. Thank you!

Nico
I would wait untill after Mt. Rogers in Virginia before you lighten up. I would get it back just before you start into the Whites.

Sensei
02-12-2013, 21:14
With a March 1st start you can expect to have multiple days where the temp doesn't get higher than the mid-twenties. Anything colder than that would be on the unusual side, but unusual does happen, so you should definitely pack a little warmer than what you expect to need.

I agree with everyone who has said you should pack a beanie or other warm hat at all times. It's one of the best warmth-to-weight items you can carry.

-Ghost-
02-13-2013, 11:39
Like most people said Pearisburg VA is about right. I started March 3rd and mailed mine home there. Had 1 maybe 2 nights where it was in the 30s after but i sleep warm and was actually comfortable in my 40 degree bag. Also depending on speed getting your winter stuff back wont be necessary. I stayed in huts all through the Whites doing work for stay. And it was hot as hell a lot of nights for me in Maine. Finished July 19th.