PDA

View Full Version : Making a waterproof journal

ryan850
02-11-2013, 17:35
I've been making my own all-weather notebooks with recycled grocery bags for covers... however, I've been searching out a method for waterproofing my own paper, so I don't have to buy Rite-in-the-Rain Copier paper. I've tried some things, various sprays, but without success. I'm wondering if waterproofing paper post-production is even fundamentally doable. Am I wasting my time?

http://ryangrayson.blogspot.com/2013/02/my-gear-checklist-all-weather-journal.html

Thanks,

Ryan "Nancy Drew" Grayson

Feral Bill
02-11-2013, 17:48
There are map coatings that might work. It might coast as much as pre-treated paper when you're through.

pcasebere
02-13-2013, 23:09
Waxed paper and a pencil (or grease pen).

Mountain Mike
02-13-2013, 23:19
Pretty good idea. I like it.

BradMT
02-14-2013, 09:59
Much simpler to just buy one:

http://www.riteintherain.com/

tds1195
02-14-2013, 10:21

But what's the fun in that? ;)

BradMT
02-14-2013, 10:24
But what's the fun in that? ;)

Making a "waterproof journal" sounds like a tedious chore, not fun... guess I'm too busy for such minutiae. :)

tds1195
02-14-2013, 10:39
Making a "waterproof journal" sounds like a tedious chore, not fun... guess I'm too busy for such minutiae. :)

To some it may seem like a chore...to others it may be fun. I do like your vocabulary choice with the word "minutiae", though. Legit.

BirdBrain
02-14-2013, 10:49

+1 on that. Perfect product on market already.

ryan850
02-14-2013, 11:38
+1 on that. Perfect product on market already.

Not trying to put anything on the market. I just like making stuff. Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like I'll just stick with buying the paper for now.

RyanGrayson.com

BirdBrain
02-14-2013, 11:44
Not trying to put anything on the market. I just like making stuff. Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like I'll just stick with buying the paper for now.

RyanGrayson.com

Good luck. Who knows? You might make a better product. I am just lazy when it comes to these sort of things. There is merit in making your own stuff. I made my own 10'x10' syl-nylon tarp. There was a huge savings there that prodded me out of my laziness.

tds1195
02-14-2013, 12:04
Good luck. Who knows? You might make a better product. I am just lazy when it comes to these sort of things. There is merit in making your own stuff. I made my own 10'x10' syl-nylon tarp. There was a huge savings there that prodded me out of my laziness.

I think that's more where he's coming from. I always prefer to use homemade items, too - not sure why. I just like using items I know people have put a lot of hard work into, ya know?

BirdBrain
02-14-2013, 12:22
I think that's more where he's coming from. I always prefer to use homemade items, too - not sure why. I just like using items I know people have put a lot of hard work into, ya know?

I gathered that from his response. Somehow, I missed that on the 1st reading. That is why I shifted gears. Nothing wrong with what he is doing. Hints would have been better than completing ideas. I just look for the easy way, unless there is a huge savings or superior quality to be gained. Riteintherain makes a great product though.

tds1195
02-14-2013, 13:07
I gathered that from his response. Somehow, I missed that on the 1st reading. That is why I shifted gears. Nothing wrong with what he is doing. Hints would have been better than completing ideas. I just look for the easy way, unless there is a huge savings or superior quality to be gained. Riteintherain makes a great product though.

They do indeed. I'm a big fan of their products...used them exclusively when I was in the Corps

Camel2012
02-14-2013, 13:45
I know this wasn't what you asked about, but i find your blog very hard to read. I'm not a fan of dark text on dark background. Maybe lighten up the text a little? The light blue headers stand out well though.

I'm on my phone, and It may be easier to read on a pc.

tds1195
02-14-2013, 14:22
I know this wasn't what you asked about, but i find your blog very hard to read. I'm not a fan of dark text on dark background. Maybe lighten up the text a little? The light blue headers stand out well though.

I'm on my phone, and It may be easier to read on a pc.

It must be your phone, Camel. When I go to his site it's dark text on a white background (for the text). There is an image in the back but the text box itself is white.

Camel2012
02-14-2013, 14:52
Oops, you are correct!

My phone, like myself, was just waking up and going slow. Seems it just took forever to load earlier, and now i see while loading, it's dark blue, but lightens up after loaded.

You're blog looks great, and hope you find a solution to your paper problem.