PDA

View Full Version : What stove should I take on the trail?

dieliving22
02-11-2013, 17:54
I own a pocket rocket, a whisperlite, and I've made a pop can alcohol stove. what stove is the best and most cost effective to use for a thru hike? a pocket rocket would be awesome, but are canisters easy to find/buy along the trail or would I have to have them mailed to me. is white gas for a whisperlite hard to find along the trail? I've used a pop can stove on multi-day hikes, but never on a thru hike. are they reliable for a 5-6 month long hike?

Don H
02-11-2013, 18:16
I started with a home made alcohol stove but decided in Hot Springs to buy a Pocket Rocket. It was faster and easier but a little heavier than my home made job. I did not have problems finding canisters along the way, the AT Guide lists where they are sold. I did carry an extra at times and if you don't mind carrying half full canisters they can be found in hiker boxes and shelters for free.

bobp
02-11-2013, 18:16
I've used a pop can stove on multi-day hikes, but never on a thru hike. are they reliable for a 5-6 month long hike?
Are they reliable? What could go wrong? Most have no moving parts. Fragility depends on how you treat the stove and what type of can is used to make it. The Venom (or aluminum beer bottle) stoves are very resilient. Even if something goes wrong, you can always find a soda can and make a new stove. Now, the availability of alcohol may be a different matter, but that has been covered elsewhere, and availability doesn't seem to be a problem on the AT.

tds1195
02-11-2013, 18:19
Whatever you prefer...I use a microrocket but I know a lot of people here prefer alcohol stoves.

Don H
02-11-2013, 18:21
I have carried a home made alcohol stove for many miles and never had a problem with one, I still use it on section hikes. I carry mine in my Titanium mug so it is protected. The problem I had with mine while doing my thru was that in the cold early spring weather that I could barely get the water hot enough to reconstitute my food (I do freezer bag cooking).

Don H
02-11-2013, 18:30
A soda can stove will last an entire thu unless you crush it. Outfitters and some stores sell white gas buy the ounce, same with alcohol. With an alcohol stove you can always buy the yellow bottled "Heat" gas treatment to burn in it too. If you have a Whisperlight that burns unleaded gas too than I would think that would be the easiest fuel to find. Again the canisters can be found and the AT Guide lists where you can find them. One small canister will heat a cup of water to boil about 12 times depending on ambient temps.

swjohnsey
02-11-2013, 18:55
I think most folks are using canister stoves. I used Whisperlite for the first month and then an alcohol stove. Any of them will work.

WingedMonkey
02-11-2013, 19:02
What kinda cooking are you planning on doing?

FarmerChef
02-11-2013, 19:19
Any stove can work. I've used a homemade pop can stove for half the trail so far and that's for feeding 5. Full disclosure: most of the time I just cook over a campfire. Heat for cooking and free ambiance. Now I'm trying a canister stove to see if I can avoid the morning fire and speed up boiling water for drinks and oatmeal. In the warmer months, I usually eat cold breakfasts so it will stay home for those hikes. Bottom line: you can get any kind of fuel for any kind of stove you want to take on the trail. Find out what you prefer to work with and carry and go with it.

dillard
02-12-2013, 10:30
I prefer a remote canister stove for a few reasons:

1) Can invert the canister and it will burn liquid fuel which is great for cold weather or getting the last bit out of those half empty hiker box canisters you find
2) Since the canister is remote you can use a wind shield around the burner which makes it more efficient
3) Lower center of gravity for the burner makes it more stable
4) Canisters are readily available on the trail and are quick to setup and start cooking

I have the Optimus Vega but another popular choice is the MSR WindPro II.

Mags
02-12-2013, 11:09
Best and most effective? All depends on your hiking style, budget and so on. I'm too lazy to type this up again..so here's my usual link. (http://www.pmags.com/stove-comparison-real-world-use)

Or, the Q&D:

If you are resupplying for less than ten meals, solo and three-season backpacking: Alcohol Stove
If you are a couple and/or going long time between resupplies, want a convenient way to boil water or need to do real cooking:
Canister Stove other than Jet Boil
If you are solo and want a convenient all in one solution and/or fast boil times: Jetboil or MSR Reactor
If you are winter camping/high altitude mountaineering OR doing 3+ person meals: White Gas Stove
Doing lots of "real cooking" in a forest environment and not hiking far: Zip Stove
Want the absolute lightest stove and price/resupply (and don't mind slower boil times) is not an issue: Esbit
Prefer to go the ultra-minimalist route and want very little to no futzing: No stove.

Remember…it is just a stove at the end of the day. Gear is the least important part of backpacking. No matter stove you use, the mountain ranges are awesome, the sunsets are grand and those wildflower blooms will be gorgeous. Take what works and enjoy! http://www.pmags.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

louisb
02-12-2013, 11:25
I really like my caldera cone alky stove.

--louis

Colter
02-12-2013, 11:39
I think Mags' response pretty much sums it up, and I expect by ten meals he means ten cooked meals. On my AT thru I saw lots of people going to alcohol stoves. Simple, light, cheap and effective.

Starchild
02-12-2013, 11:42
If you are a couple and/or going long time between resupplies, want a convenient way to boil water or need to do real cooking:

Wondering why you state not the Jetboil for a couple, longer resupply and want a convenient way to boil water (I can understand with the condition of real cooking which is challenging at times in the Jetboil), but if all the couple uses it for is to boil water It would seem like that is one of the best solutions, also I have used the Jetboil for exactly that, couple hiking wanting mostly boiled water out of the stove and it worked beautifully for that as well as low fuel consumption.

Mags
02-12-2013, 12:28
Wondering why you state not the Jetboil for a couple, longer resupply and want a convenient way to boil water (I can understand with the condition of real cooking which is challenging at times in the Jetboil), but if all the couple uses it for is to boil water It would seem like that is one of the best solutions, also I have used the Jetboil for exactly that, couple hiking wanting mostly boiled water out of the stove and it worked beautifully for that as well as low fuel consumption.

Because it is heavy and not very efficient overall in terms of weight and what it does.

It is quick and convenient. That can be a plus for many people. But it pretty much is only a water boiler IMO.

I'd rather take a Coleman F1. Almost as many BTUs as a Jet Boil for a fraction of the weight and price. More versatile, too.
Great reviews. Harder to find, though.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews.html?forum_thread_id=1139
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/coleman_outlander_f1_ultralight_canister_stove_rev iew.html\

Can still get it online fairly easily:
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Exponent-F1-Ultralight-Stove/dp/B0009VC7UG

And..yeah, I did mean 10 COOKED meals. Sorry, should edit that. :)

zelph
02-12-2013, 12:38
I own a pocket rocket, a whisperlite, and I've made a pop can alcohol stove. what stove is the best and most cost effective to use for a thru hike? a pocket rocket would be awesome, but are canisters easy to find/buy along the trail or would I have to have them mailed to me. is white gas for a whisperlite hard to find along the trail? I've used a pop can stove on multi-day hikes, but never on a thru hike. are they reliable for a 5-6 month long hike?

You seem to be the canister type, go with the canisters. Be Happy!!!

colorado_rob
02-12-2013, 13:55
Because it is heavy and not very efficient overall in terms of weight and what it does.

It is quick and convenient. That can be a plus for many people. But it pretty much is only a water boiler IMO.
Yes, only a water boiler to be sure, but the Jetboil Sol Ti model is very weight efficient, probably the most efficient setup, again, when you need more than a few days worth of performance between resupply and like plenty of hot water every day. Sure, 8.9 ounces (stove, pot and cozy) sounds heavy, but the fuel efficiency is superb. Again, this only pays off when the number of boils needed between re-supply points is larger (as mine always are). The old, original Jetboil is about 6+ ounces heavier and not a good choice in any situation, IMHO.

colorado_rob
02-12-2013, 13:58
By the way, it's the heat exchanger and cozy on the Jetboil that creates the efficiency. I did a thorough test with a couple of different stoves, including that Coleman F1 and the good old Pocket rocket, and the Jetboil does about 25% more boils per canister than both of them (which were nearly identical in performance).

RED-DOG
02-12-2013, 14:41
Bro use your Pocket Rocket in the beginning it will take the cold alot better and when the weather warms up make yourself an alcohol stove.

q-tip
02-12-2013, 15:17
Soto Stove-Oil Camp Pot

Mags
02-12-2013, 15:19
By the way, it's the heat exchanger and cozy on the Jetboil that creates the efficiency.

How much weight does it add? Trade-off for the efficiency I imagine? With the setup you have, it is about 10 oz IIRC.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/sotm11_jetboil_sol_ti_premium_review.html#.URqWdeO e-Do

Guess we are in agreement, though: : Best for multi-meal resupply and boils (~8-10) and solo.

The lack of versatility (it is a system after all) and price were always negatives for me as well. But that's my own personal preference.

RockDoc
02-12-2013, 15:35
I saw a lot of angst among alky stove users because they can be very fussy, messy, and slow.
You won't be using a canister stove for very long before alky stove people are begging hot water off you, because you have plenty and they don't have enough.

Starchild
02-12-2013, 15:52

I'd rather take a Coleman F1. Almost as many BTUs as a Jet Boil for a fraction of the weight and price. More versatile, too.
Great reviews. Harder to find, though.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews.html?forum_thread_id=1139
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/coleman_outlander_f1_ultralight_canister_stove_rev iew.html\

Can still get it online fairly easily:
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Exponent-F1-Ultralight-Stove/dp/B0009VC7UG

And..yeah, I did mean 10 COOKED meals. Sorry, should edit that. :)

I can understand your point, but what I can't understand is how I am reading this, if you are single and want a easy way to boil water then it's the Jetboil, and (as I read it), if you are a couple and want a easy way to boil water it's not the Jetboil.

That really has me confused as a couple using a Jetboil will make out much better then a single hiker using a Jetboil.

DavidNH
02-12-2013, 15:57
I still swear by my trusty whisperlite. It fires up every time with no trouble. It cooks hot. For me reliability and efficiency of cooking trumps the few extra ounces.

fins1838
02-12-2013, 16:08
pocket rocket. fer sure

colorado_rob
02-12-2013, 16:48
How much weight does it add? Trade-off for the efficiency I imagine? With the setup you have, it is about 10 oz IIRC.

Guess we are in agreement, though: : Best for multi-meal resupply and boils (~8-10) and solo.

The lack of versatility (it is a system after all) and price were always negatives for me as well. But that's my own personal preference. If you don't carry the little useless bottom cup and "stabilizer", my JB weighs 8.9 oz, total verified with my scale (which is carefully calibrated w/ a known 500 gm weight). One WB member (Starbright? Starchild?) in another thread introduced the fantastic idea of carrying a little 0.1 ounce tea-light cup, which when filled w/ alcohol, boils 1.5 cups in the Jetboil Sol Ti pot. Great little backup idea for when canisters aren't available.

colorado_rob
02-12-2013, 16:51
I can understand your point, but what I can't understand is how I am reading this, if you are single and want a easy way to boil water then it's the Jetboil, and (as I read it), if you are a couple and want a easy way to boil water it's not the Jetboil.

That really has me confused as a couple using a Jetboil will make out much better then a single hiker using a Jetboil. Yeah, agree, I'm confused as well. My wife and I use the JB Sol Ti together and the amount of water it boils is perfect for two decent sized cups of coffee/tea or even two BP meals (the ones that use 1.5 cups each). It boils three cups. Fast. Not sure why anyone would think the JB doesn't work well for two.

Mags
02-12-2013, 17:58
3 cups ain't much for a meal when you have two hungry hikers..esp when thru-hiking. :) If you are doing multiple boils due to a small pot, it is not as efficient.

I am glad it works for you and of course there will always be exceptions. But, I feel pretty comfortable based on experience and that of others.

Some bald, short not-too-good-looking guy on the Internet is not the person you need to convince. ;) Hope it works for you.

Ultimately, it is just gear. Really not that important.

MuddyWaters
02-12-2013, 19:08
I saw a lot of angst among alky stove users because they can be very fussy, messy, and slow.
You won't be using a canister stove for very long before alky stove people are begging hot water off you, because you have plenty and they don't have enough.

fussy - nope, only ones that require priming
Messy - nope
slow - not really. Slower than a cannister for sure.If you are in such a hurry you cant spare 3 min extra, why are you walking?

colorado_rob
02-12-2013, 20:05
3 cups ain't much for a meal when you have two hungry hikers..

Ultimately, it is just gear. Really not that important. Three cups (really, a tad over 3 fits in the pot) has always been perfect for my wife and myself for two meals, or two 12-oz cups of beverage, but yes, agreed: small variations in gear are really REALLY not important ! I way over-think the damn stuff. Occupational hazard. Engine-nerd.

All said and done, even with my Love Affair with the JB, given all the advice on here, I really do want to try the Alchy-thing. Plenty of time to experiment, coming up soon!

Another Kevin
02-12-2013, 20:51
fussy - nope, only ones that require priming
Messy - nope
slow - not really. Slower than a cannister for sure.If you are in such a hurry you cant spare 3 min extra, why are you walking?

In my experience, a little bit of 'fussy' in the building pays dividends in having stuff work on the trail. I'm quite pleased with my Penny Stove 2.0. Above about freezing, it's self-priming, below freezing, a few drops of alcohol in the base and a wisp of toilet paper or a bit of grass prime it nicely. And once it's primed I've never, ever had the wind blow it out. But I will concede that it was fussy to build. And it needs a pot stand, although two irrigation stakes and a piece of bailing wire isn't horribly fussy to my way of thinking. (I'm still working on trying to do a pot-stand-and-windscreen combination that isn't unacceptably tippy. Dryer duct and coathanger wire is ok, but heavier that what I'm carrying now. And the coathanger wire burns through eventually.)

Messy? If you're a klutz like me that spills when pouring anything, then any liquid-fuel stove is messy. And I still haven't switched to a canister.

For me, with a proper windscreen, the Penny 2.0 boils a half-litre of water in about 5 minutes, using just under an ounce of fuel. An ounce and 2/3 or thereabouts will boil a whole litre in about 8-9 minutes. Not quite as fast as a canister, but a lot faster and slightly more efficient than my SuperCat. The only alcohol stove I've built that has nearly the same performance is the Photon stove, and that one is fussy. (Hard to fill, cantankerous to prime.)

I wouldn't carry the Penny if I expected to melt snow. (But at the moment, with my current state of gear and training, if I expect to melt snow I'm not going.)

Like my microspikes or my sleeping bag, it's one of my pieces of gear that Just Work. I love gear that I don't have to worry about because it Just Works.
I'd love to be there with all my gear.

MuddyWaters
02-12-2013, 23:28
My tealight setup with fosters pot boils 2cups in 7.5 min, on a touch less than 0.5 fl oz fuel.
My larger tealight setup with 1.3 L evernew pot, boils 4 cups water in 9.5 min, on 1.1 fl oz fuel.

I like the quiet.
No prime, no hassle.
No waiting to "bloom" to put pot on.
Squirt in to fill to normal level mark, light, done.
When water boils, snuff the stove with pot lid, and pour any unburned fuel back into fuel bottle.

takethisbread
02-16-2013, 07:59
while i dont use the Jetboil anymore, i believe the weight is mitigated by its fuel efficiency. On AT hikes, or any hike with semi regular supply points, carrying more than a single 3oz canister is an overreaction. folks with lighter stoves might be carrying 2 to 3 times the fuel due to its lack of eficiency. I believe Jetboils greatest drawbacks are its bulkiness (for ultra lightweight backpackers with small packs) and its lack of lightweight versatility.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/sotm11_jetboil_sol_ti_premium_review.html#.URqWdeO e-Do

The lack of versatility (it is a system after all) and price were always negatives for me as well. But that's my own personal preference.

Bosman
02-16-2013, 11:49
I have read a breakdown of weight per use and the short trips alcohol stoves were best. Cooking for two meant a canister. Over six days trip and canister was just as or more efficient because a canister can easy cook 10 meals.
Short trip - alcohol/ esbit
Long or for 2 or more people - gas canister stoves.

tds1195
02-16-2013, 11:54
I have read a breakdown of weight per use and the short trips alcohol stoves were best. Cooking for two meant a canister. Over six days trip and canister was just as or more efficient because a canister can easy cook 10 meals.
Short trip - alcohol/ esbit
Long or for 2 or more people - gas canister stoves.

Do you have a link to the article? That may be helpful.

Rock Lobster
02-16-2013, 17:46
I did 1000+ mile chunks with both the Whisperlite and a JetBoil. I only had trouble getting fuel for either one once or twice. You will always be able to get cannister fuel, although it might be a different size than you want (like the shorter, wider MSR cannisters instead of the narrower snopeak/jetboil ones. No difference in performance, just packing. The coleman fluid is a little harder, because it's not as popular. Most outfitters and hostels will sell it by the ounce, which is great, but I occasionall had to go to Sports Authority or a hardware store to buy the big half-gallon can and leave most of it behind. On ease of resupply, I'd go with cannisters by a nose. I've never used an alcohol stove so can't speak to that.

jeffmeh
02-16-2013, 18:01
Do you have a link to the article? That may be helpful.

I suspect it is Mags' article. Who knew, another guy originally from RI who is literate. :)

http://www.pmags.com/stove-comparison-real-world-use

SoCalled
02-18-2013, 17:44
Options.

Thats the key word. You need options. Bring a little of everything.

My setup can burn esbit, pop can stove alcohol and wood. And I also carry a Monatauk Gnat (stove only. no canister. 48g) so depending on the situation, you will choose what to use. Plenty of time and dry conditions ? Wood. Going short on alcohol ? Esbit. Met a girl and want to showoff ? Monatauk Gnat. You can always find a canister / buy it from a pal (or the girl you just met). Dont carry any. This way, the sky is wide open just for you. You are ready for anything.

Mags
02-18-2013, 18:41
I suspect it is Mags' article. Who knew, another guy originally from RI who is literate. :)

http://www.pmags.com/stove-comparison-real-world-use

...and I took those numbers from a Mechanical Engineering article that really broke down the numbers. Other websites had similar numbers. After about 8-10 boils, an alchy stove loses its advantages.

The Sol Ti Jet Boil (http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/1-5l-cooking-pot.html)appears to be the only Jetboil that really seems has a weight to efficiency ratio that makes it weigh overall less than other canister stoves. But $150? Ouch. And, again, that is using the stand .8 liter pot.

A standard "two person" (ha!) Mountain House meal with ~600 calories takes 2 cups of water. I am using packet of Beef Stroganoff with Noodles for comparison. If two thru hikers can get by on ~300 calories for a meal..God bless ya! ;)

Doing multiple boils wit the standard .8 liter pot? The efficiency that makes up for the extra weight is lost. Add a bigger 1.5 liter Jet Boil pot for 4 oz and more $$$ (http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/1-5l-cooking-pot.html) an it is probably as efficient again vs other stoves for multiple people. But $200+ is a lot of money just to boil water IMO.

But, again, you really can't beat the fast boil times and ease of use vs other stoves. If I did "boil and cook" only meals for all my outdoor activities and did not mind the bulk/price THIS would my stove of choice for sure.

I figure my article is about right because alchy stove users, wood burning stoves users and Jetboil users all had sent me nasty-grams in the past. ;)

Having said all this, my favorite stove is a something I bought back in 1996. The Coleam 1lb propane canister stove. Cheap, quick and cooked more than few meals on my truck's tailgate before a hike or the way to somewhere. Cooks a quick cup of joe, too! Sucks for backpacking..but the thing will probably outlive me. :D

Anyway..the above is JMO. Opinions are much like a particular part of the body: We all have one and they all stink!

colorado_rob
02-18-2013, 18:57
So now some ACTUAL Jetboil Sol Ti numbers, just now accurately measured: The JB Sol pot hold exactly 3.5 cups, when filled to about 1/4" down from the rim. My wife's meals take from 1 & 1/3rd cups to 1.5 cups. Mine take 1.5 to 2 cups, depending. (the double meals take 2, the "pro" single 500 cal. meals, 1.5. Not sure where the "300 calorie' meal comment comes from, but the JB Sol can make three of those at a pop.

Therefore: The Jetboil Sol Ti system is perfetly efficient for a couple. Might even work for two dudes, as long as 3.5 cups works for their meal scheme. And from what I've seen, the single most fuel efficient system out there.

Mags
02-18-2013, 19:56
The standard pot per the Jet Boil site is .8 liter:
http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/sol-cooking-ti.html

A bit over 3 cups or 3.38 cups to be precise.

A standard Mountain House "two person" (HA!) meal is 600 calories, divided by two people is 300 calories. That's 2.5 servings per package
http://www.mountainhouse.com/nutr.cfm
http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=53119&Category_Code=MHDL

The "Pro Packs" are gussied up versions of above:
http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=50114&Category_Code=

But with only 400 calories. :O

That takes two cups of H20 according to the directions to make.

You must be using that New Math or something. ;)

You can fudge numbers sure..but these are direct from the manufacturer. :)

I know you enginerds love your gear, but this is getting ridiculous. You like your toy..cool. And god knows it is fast and efficient. But raw numbers suggest it may not be the most efficient for real world use with multiple people unless you add a bigger pot and spend more money.

I really can't see otherwise after doing some basic math with standard backpacking meals. But I am not the smartest dude admittedly.

I think I've done beating the horse. :)

EDIT: Admittedly, I am looking at this from LD hiker viewpoint and not a weekend hiker view point. Different scenario for sure. I really can't exaggerate how much hiker hunger is on a LD hike.

colorado_rob
02-18-2013, 20:55
The standard pot per the Jet Boil site is .8 liter:
http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/sol-cooking-ti.html

A bit over 3 cups or 3.38 cups to be precise.

You must be using that New Math or something. ;)

You can fudge numbers sure..but these are direct from the manufacturer. :)

I know you enginerds love your gear, but this is getting ridiculous. You like your toy..cool. And god knows it is fast and efficient. But raw numbers suggest it may not be the most efficient for real world use with multiple people unless you add a bigger pot and spend more money.

I really can't see otherwise after doing some basic math with standard backpacking meals. But I am not the smartest dude admittedly.

I think I've done beating the horse.
. But I'm not. I think you're calling me a liar. I just filled the JB to ~1/4" below the rim, then poured it into a 4-cup measureing cup. 3.5 cups. Not sure where the 0.8 spec fill "line" is with the JB. My wife uses ~400 cal meals, 1.3-1.5 cups required. Check out Mary Jane meals (her favorite). I'm a simple MH man, like you say, around 600 cal, 2 cups. AGAIN, the JB Sol Ti, regular cup works perfectly for a couple, like ourselves. How can you go on making arguments when we have used this thing for over a year now and it has worked perfectly for us? You have probably never touched one. You are being silly. And misleading. But: YOU have the power, just delete me if you don't like anyone disputing your Most Excellent advice. You do have great stuff, usually, but when it comes to this little stove, you know not what you speak of. Off to hike! (yes, after dark).

SoCalled
02-19-2013, 01:47
Wo. Now, thats intense. Just wait for the Trangia Church representatives to step in the thread.

Wait, I am a Trangia Church member ...

I used pop stove while the fun lasted. I liked the Macgyver feeling until 10 years old use them. Went back to Trangia. But its cool to be able to build one if necessary. Trangia is pretty much worry-proof. You light, you cook, you snuff. No alcohol collecting, calculating. Just screw the cap on and thats it. A stove that is almost a hundred years old. Pocket Rock what ?? Tell me in a 100 years.

Thats what I mostly use. Plus esbit (nearly 80 years old) plus wood. Options. You need options. And oh, yes I have a 48g canister stove in my pack as a backup. Used it in 2011. 2012, no. 2013, we will see.

If your setup can burn alcohol, esbit (or likes) and wood and you bring a little of everything, you will be fine. The tiny gas stove as backup is always a good idea.

Mags
02-19-2013, 02:46
Intense..nah.. Being from RI, we think of arguing as just normal discussion. We also don't take it as seriously as others. ;)

This is just a way to kill time between trips.

jrabbott
02-20-2013, 15:09
The MSR Whisperlite is the ticket. And oh by the way you CAN simmer with it!! Its so easy to light, easy to maintain and is built to cook and cook either in a hurry or slower simmer. For the weight difference that you will have between that and a beer can stove - the Whisperlite is the Go-To stove. One thing you dont want to worry about is a stove that craps out on you on the trail. The MSR Whisperlite will not do that! I understand why they use the little penny stoves - but they can be temperamental and not work when needed.

I would go with the Whisperlite any day!!!

OzJacko
02-20-2013, 19:07
Best and most effective? All depends on your hiking style, budget and so on. I'm too lazy to type this up again..so here's my usual link. (http://www.pmags.com/stove-comparison-real-world-use)

Or, the Q&D:

If you are resupplying for less than ten meals, solo and three-season backpacking: Alcohol Stove
If you are solo and want a convenient all in one solution and/or fast boil times: Jetboil or MSR Reactor
If you are winter camping/high altitude mountaineering OR doing 3+ person meals: White Gas Stove
Doing lots of "real cooking" in a forest environment and not hiking far: Zip Stove
Want the absolute lightest stove and price/resupply (and don't mind slower boil times) is not an issue: Esbit
Prefer to go the ultra-minimalist route and want very little to no futzing: No stove.

Remember…it is just a stove at the end of the day. Gear is the least important part of backpacking. No matter stove you use, the mountain ranges are awesome, the sunsets are grand and those wildflower blooms will be gorgeous. Take what works and enjoy! http://www.pmags.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif
+100 Best, most comprehensive summation I've ever seen.
By the way I spent a bit of money and got the Evernew alcohol stove.
Works just like a pepsican stove but made of titanium.
You could drive a truck over it without breaking it.

larkspur
02-20-2013, 19:41
i have a hobo stove that i made, it works well for me.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-24-2013, 12:23
Intense..nah.. Being from RI, we think of arguing as just normal discussion. We also don't take it as seriously as others. ;)

This is just a way to kill time betweego RAMSn trips.

Hmmm....at one point I would have said we must be related, as I always thought the argumentative thing was genetic, not geographical. But after having lived in several regions I must agree with you and conclude that Rhode Islanders have brought "casual ornery" to an art form. I'm rather proud of my "debating" skills and ability to beat just about any horse not only to the ground, but the requisite 6 feet under.... go Rhodies!

Oh....and Snacktime and I are heading out on our first adventure with a pair of Esbits....slow and stinky, yes (the stoves, not us...yet) but they came through like troopers when we "tested" them in the recent blizzard's 2 day power outage.

jeffmeh
02-24-2013, 12:40
Hmmm....at one point I would have said we must be related, as I always thought the argumentative thing was genetic, not geographical. But after having lived in several regions I must agree with you and conclude that Rhode Islanders have brought "casual ornery" to an art form. I'm rather proud of my "debating" skills and ability to beat just about any horse not only to the ground, but the requisite 6 feet under.... go Rhodies!

Oh....and Snacktime and I are heading out on our first adventure with a pair of Esbits....slow and stinky, yes (the stoves, not us...yet) but they came through like troopers when we "tested" them in the recent blizzard's 2 day power outage.

Sounds good. More importantly, have you yet attempted to dehydrate a trio of gaggers from Rod's Grill, or a bottle of Autocrat? ;)

Mags
02-24-2013, 22:00
Sounds good. More importantly, have you yet attempted to dehydrate a trio of gaggers from Rod's Grill, or a bottle of Autocrat? ;)

The gaggers are "All da way" of course....

I introduce my wife to the wonders of coffee syrup on our last trip. She's addicted (to that and to Scialo Bros on the hill. She said it as good as any bakery she had growing up in Germany!)

Teacher & Snacktime
02-24-2013, 22:04

Please....I live down the street from Rod's....and if you know the place, then you'll know that the weiners are free....tomorrow. And if I could figure a way to carry both the Autocrat and the milk in my pack (powdered doesn't cut it) then I'd be all over coffee milk with lunch eat day!

What I REALLY wish I could do is figure out a way to keep the Del's cold!

Mags
02-24-2013, 22:13
What I REALLY wish I could do is figure out a way to keep the Del's cold!

Is rumor correct and are strictly out of dispensers ala the slurpies at 7/11? See it ain't so.. :(

Teacher & Snacktime
02-24-2013, 22:14
The gaggers are "All da way" of course....

I introduce my wife to the wonders of coffee syrup on our last trip. She's addicted (to that and to Scialo Bros on the hill. She said it as good as any bakery she had growing up in Germany!)

Is there any other way? (and preferably served from the forearm of a hairy, sweaty dude from Olneyville)

Your wife (and you) should come to Warren and get a coffee malted from Delekta's Pharmacy .... just a block away from Rod's, and a great dessert.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-24-2013, 22:16
Is rumor correct and are strictly out of dispensers ala the slurpies at 7/11? See it ain't so.. :(
It isn't so...rest easy. Still available from the green trucks or the corner stands, though you can buy the mix at the grocery now..but I wouldn't.

And the Big Blue Bug has one every summer all summer long.

Hairbear
02-24-2013, 22:31
I use a scent can for auto deodorizer,with a carbon fiber wick. Boils 2 cups for 1/2 oz fuel. Coffee for half that.

jeffmeh
02-25-2013, 16:13
I have them hold the celery salt, but otherwise I'm in. And delivering them "on arm" is the only way. I've been gone a long time, but of course I know Rod's Grill. Had my first job in Warren in the late 70's as the stock boy at the Cumberland Farms on Market Street. Having grown up in the formerly dry town next door, we spent a lot of time in Warren in our "formative" years. My Dad lives there now.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-25-2013, 16:25
I have them hold the celery salt, but otherwise I'm in. And delivering them "on arm" is the only way. I've been gone a long time, but of course I know Rod's Grill. Had my first job in Warren in the late 70's as the stock boy at the Cumberland Farms on Market Street. Having grown up in the formerly dry town next door, we spent a lot of time in Warren in our "formative" years. My Dad lives there now.

Cumbies is still there, but there's a bike path where the train tracks used to be, and a Savon shoes where Jamiels used to be, and a new playground if you turn right where the high school used to be. Is that enough RI for you?

jeffmeh
02-25-2013, 16:37
Cumbies is still there, but there's a bike path where the train tracks used to be, and a Savon shoes where Jamiels used to be, and a new playground if you turn right where the high school used to be. Is that enough RI for you?

Indeed. I walked down that bike path from around the Bristol line to get the Warren Quahog festival the last few years. And I do know that Jack's Family Restaurant is still in business, as is Jack's Bar, and that The Tap, which became Mundy's, is no longer.

zelph
02-28-2013, 13:02
Now you have another option to go with all three fuels:

The Titanium Titan-3 (http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/titan-3-titanium-cook-kit.php)

XANGO
02-28-2013, 13:25
I used the super cat and it worked great.

The good thing about the super cat is that it weighs nothing. So, if you want to chill out and not cook for a stint it doesn't matter that you still have your stove. And, you can find heet (yellow not red) at any gas station.

PS: I have to admit...I was always secretly jealous of the jet boil though...The hikers with those were eating 10-15 mins before me.