PDA

View Full Version : I am doing the Long Trail this August; any suggestions on clothes?!

Pappa Green Jeans
06-10-2005, 17:03
I am doing the Long Trail in Vermont this August. I am wondering what your suggestions are on clothes. Exactly what would you take/do you take in august. I'm looking for suggestions on brands, websites, materials, prices. I greatly appreciate your input. GOD BLESS.:jump

TOW
06-10-2005, 17:11
none, just go naked............... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_8_200v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZUxdm020YYUS)

TakeABreak
06-10-2005, 18:29
I was wanting to do the same thing, but I do not know at this time if I will.

Being August I would think that it will still be hot and humid pretty much, I would wear polypropolene or similar synthetic material clothing, it would all be synthetic. Socks, I have found that the Smartwool Hiker socks work best for me in any weather, I just carry three pair so I can change them twice a day. Personally I carry a sleeping bag a little warmer than I need, that way I can always unzip it, if it is too warm, if it gets cools I just zip it up.

If you go to www.greenmountainclub.org (http://www.greenmountainclub.org) you will find a couple of books there, about where camp sites are, shelters, re-supply points and such. You can always email them about a specific question they are really good about responding.

Marmot sleeping bags and rain jackets have been good to me in performance and durability (not saying others are not), so has marmot by sending me a new storage sack and new stuff sack free of charge, when I wrote them a really nice letter about their bags performance and asked them how to order new ones after losing mine during a move. They just simply said give us your home address and they will be there in few days and 3 days later they were in the mail.

Kerosene
06-10-2005, 23:42
I thru-hiked the Long Trail (SOBO) in August 1979. The temperature hit 90F the first day, but after that it never broke 70F and went down into the 30s one night. If someone hadn't discarded their sweatshirt at the old Camel's Hump Cabin I would have frozen to death!

I do a lot of Fall hiking where the temperature can range from the high 30s to 80s. I usually hike in a Duofold CoolMax short-sleeve T-shirt, but I also bring a CoolMax Alta long-sleeve shirt which I hike in only on the coolest days (below 45F). I bring a Polartec 100 fleece jacket (or my water-resistant PolarStretch jacket), which can be layered under my Frogg Toggs rain jacket if it gets really cold. I bring a pair of zip-off pants that can layer under my Frogg Toggs rain pants or a pair of lightweight DWR wind pants. This setup works down to 40F for me. If there's chance it could get down below freezing, then I add long underwear and, if I don't want to rough it, a pair of Polartec 200 fleece pants.

hawkeye
06-11-2005, 07:43
I did a section in Aug and it was HOT and muggy!! Lots of bugs also. This year I am doing the trail in mid-Sept. Back a few years ago on Killington it was very warm but late afternoon it cooled down and got cold that night night. My 40 degree bag did'nt cut it.

The Hog
06-11-2005, 18:01
I live in northern Vermont at 1800 feet, and it's not unusual to have frost overnight in late August. It depends on the year, some years our first frost doesn't hit until September, but about every other year it's around August 21st. Generally, August is a pretty good time to hike, with bugs being down (but not entirely out). September/early Oct. is even better.