PDA

View Full Version : Maine Trail Crew help wanted

jlb2012
06-10-2005, 20:01
copied from another forum:

" Dear Friend of the Appalachian Trail:

We need your help! As a “mover and shaker” in the world of outdoor recreation, we’d like to tap your connections and your enthusiasm for the Appalachian Trail to meet an urgent recruiting need for volunteers on the Maine Trail Crew. For this 2005 field season we are vastly undersubscribed for volunteers and are in danger of canceling numerous projects that the Maine Appalachian Trail Club has been planning for some time. These projects include treadway rehabilitation projects that are important to prevent erosion and ensure that generations of hikers will get to experience the Appalachian Trail in a safe and enjoyable manner. All are located in the scenic north woods of Maine and several are in the famed “100 Mile Wilderness.” A complete list of projects may be found at: http://www.matc.org/actvschd.htm

We are not quite sure what happened, but as of this writing, we only have about 30 of 80 volunteer slots filled. If we don’t generate some additional volunteer workers, there will be thousands of dollars of investment and hundreds of hours of volunteer planning that will be wasted.

Volunteers are asked to come for a week and are given all the tools, training, and equipment they need. In return, we ask that people be willing to do some hard work, camp out under the stars, and enjoy the camaraderie and laughter that comes with being with nine like-minded people for a week.

There is no cost to participate, although you must be 18 years old. You are responsible to get to Maine, but pickups can be arranged from the closest public transportation hubs.

We ask that you consider joining the crew for a full week. If you can’t come for a full week, we can accommodate volunteers who wish to come for a few days, but the logistics can be more challenging. If you can’t come yourself, please pass this message along to friends or family who might be interested. We’ve attached an application for your convenience that can be completed and e-mailed as an attachment to [email protected].

If you have any questions, please e-mail [email protected] or contact

Margaret Snell, Crew Coordinator Maine Trail Crew PO Box 149 Dexter, ME 04930 207-924-0133

For more information, please go to: http://www.matc.org/metrlcrw.htm or http://www.appalachiantrail.org/volunteer/crews.html

Many thanks, J.T. Horn, New England Regional Director Appalachian Trail Conference "

TJ aka Teej
06-10-2005, 22:21
Thanks, HOI. Passed the info along to the ALDHA Companion e-list, Views From The Top, and the at-l. I'm going to try to get up to the Horseshoe Canyon work trip.

walkin' wally
06-11-2005, 11:20
I am going to try to get to the crew working in the Rainbow Section. We are trying to fix some of the mudholes there.

HEY TEEJ I thought you were hiking the 100 mile wilderness about now??

TJ aka Teej
06-12-2005, 20:04
HEY TEEJ I thought you were hiking the 100 mile wilderness about now??
My car spotting arrangment didn't work out. No biggie, there's still plenty of trail and time!

walkin' wally
06-13-2005, 05:19
Hey Teej,

I am up that way a lot, if I can help out let me know. :)

Rocks 'n Roots
06-15-2005, 00:59
Good thing we have this great cutting edge, example to the world, government that leaves the Trail flapping out in the wind while projects like this beg for volunteers. This could literally be filled in seconds if the government tried to help instead of deliberately starving the Trail out.

Sometimes I think this nation is a lot of talk but little action...

(R'nR, high hours, regular volunteer NY section)

TakeABreak
06-15-2005, 15:34
I wish i could make it, I have not done any trail maintenance in four years and am beginning to feel bad about it. Oh well one day I pray, I will make up for it.