PDA

View Full Version : Weather in the Whites

Darwin13
02-12-2013, 16:01
Looking for someone who has experience in the White Mountain Range in New Hampshire in the last week of May and onward.

How was it last year? I know it can change, I just would like to know.

What type of temperatures can I expect? I understand the Hut's will probably not be open yet but I can be mistaken.

Thanks

Pingus
02-12-2013, 16:07
It can be anywhere from the mid 50's and sunny to zero degree windchill and snowstorming. You can't predict this far in advance. Last year May was mild and warm.

RedBeerd
02-12-2013, 16:09
The whites can be all over. I hiked Mt. Adams last year around July 4th and the day started off cool and a little cloudy. Half way up king ravine trail a wicked storm rolled in. Couldn't see a damn thing for about an hour.. that went away and it was sunny and hot! There can be pretty big temperature fluctuations..I always pack a little more when hiking in the whites

Prime Time
02-12-2013, 16:22
On the high peaks which you are probably looking to cross, May is an unstable transition month. It can be harsh, late winter like conditions with freezing temperatures, freezing rain, sleet or even snow all the way to upper 70's and delightful. That pretty much describes June, July, August, September and October also. All other months are generally much worse.

Slo-go'en
02-12-2013, 16:25
Right now it's 32 with snow flurries :)

I imagine your thinking Memorial weekend, which most people think as the start of summer. In these parts, July 4th is more like the start of summer. Late May and early June tend to be chilly and wet on average, but it's getting really difficult to predict the weather well in advance these days.

Feral Bill
02-12-2013, 17:05
On the high peaks which you are probably looking to cross, May is an unstable transition month. It can be harsh, late winter like conditions with freezing temperatures, freezing rain, sleet or even snow all the way to upper 70's and delightful. That pretty much describes June, July, August, September and October also. All other months are generally much worse. I've enjoyed glorious in the Presidential Range in mid winter. I've endured hellish weather there in mid summer. In May, you might get lucky, but don't count on it.

Pingus
02-12-2013, 17:09
And there it is. In these last 5 posts is all the advance knowledge you could ever have regarding the weather in May in the Whites.

peakbagger
02-12-2013, 18:14
Regrading huts open, look here http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/whitemountains/huts/hut-season-dates.cfm
If they are open you pay, usually the shelters that normally have caretakers arent staffed yet but its hit or miss when they start and if they are ther you pay.

Late may can be warm but that means the black flies will be out in force. Nigths up hihg will be cold. Its tends to rain more with one rainy day, one half wet day and one sunny day, then repeat. There will still be patches of snow up high, Lake of the crowds usually has a few snowfields and there is usually one on the back of Jefferson.

nitewalker
02-12-2013, 18:28
Regrading huts open, look here http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/whitemountains/huts/hut-season-dates.cfm
If they are open you pay, usually the shelters that normally have caretakers arent staffed yet but its hit or miss when they start and if they are ther you pay.

Late may can be warm but that means the black flies will be out in force. Nigths up hihg will be cold. Its tends to rain more with one rainy day, one half wet day and one sunny day, then repeat. There will still be patches of snow up high, Lake of the crowds usually has a few snowfields and there is usually one on the back of Jefferson.

everytime i hike the whites in may this is exactly what to expect. do not have the false impression that it will be spring on mt washington in may, not gonna happen. expect snow, rain, fog,wind,sun, postholing and whatever else u can think of. if a storm rolls in on u in may u better have some gear. it will get cold and put your well being in jeopardy...on the other side of the fence u could end up with a great day and a low snow year and have none of the above..good luck and be safe...

fredmugs
02-12-2013, 19:21
Anytime anyone asks a question like this I point out that the year I summitted Mt Washington it was 30 and snowing on July 1 and 67 with zero wind when I hit it 6 days later. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Chaco Taco
02-12-2013, 23:40
went out last May a couple of times. Crazy weather, lots of rain, got eaten alive by the bugs, had a blast. The backcountry camp sites were over run

takethisbread
02-13-2013, 07:59
I did the Presidential Traverse during July, started from Appalachia it was about 70 degrees . Got to Madison and I couldn't see 10 feet. Sleet/hail. I planned to do the hike in one day. Stopped at Lake of the Clouds. Froze. Temps were in the high 30's for two straight days. Steady ice, rain, snow, mix the entire time up there. Hypothermic. The hike was easy. The whites are slow, but not that hard . The weather is just never predictable. Prepare for the WORST!