View Full Version : Help Us Choose!

Namtrag
02-12-2013, 16:59
For our 1st Anniversary in early May, my wife and I are going to take off from Virginia Beach on Wednesday May 1 after work and drive to Harrisonburg, VA for the night. The next day we will take it fairly easy, but get to one of two places in time to hike for the most of the day. We plan to hike Thursday-Saturday, with Thursday and Friday being camping on the trail. Then on Saturday we will hike back to the car and drive back to Harrisonburg or somewhere similar to stay the night. That gives us all day Sunday to drive back to Va Beach and recover.

Anyway, we have tentatively narrowed our choice to two hikes in West Virginia, both of which can be found at Mid-Atlantic Hikes.com. The first is a circuit through Cranberry Wilderness area. The second is a circumnavigation of Dolly Sods. Both are in the 20-25 mile range, and it looks like beautiful countryside in either place. Our issues are that I am a CPA and will be woefully out of shape from long hours and no exercise. The other issue is that from reading some of the trip reviews about the Cranberry Wilderness, there could be some bushwhacking involved. We are fairly new to backpacking, but are not too afraid to tackle a challenge. But the reviews are a year or two old, and maybe the trails are in better shape now.

Anyway, would love some advice from anyone who has backpacked in either area. Thanks so much in advance!