PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried the new maps yet?

stillatit
02-12-2013, 17:07
I'm getting ready to hit the trail next month. I bought The A.T. Guide (2013) by David "Awol" Miller. So far I like it. It seems an improvement over the old Wingfoot handbook I've been using for years.

But shelling out almost $100 for that set of 22 lightweight Pocket Profile Maps without ever having seen one---well, that's another story.

http://www.shop.theatguide.com/Maps_c5.htm;jsessionid=6C9CE2EF01E1A4776AE3D9EC8F6 BEC89.qscstrfrnt02

Has anyone tried these out yet? If so, would you kindly share your impressions, or even provide a scan so the rest of us can know what they look like?

Thanks!

:sun

HeartWalker
02-12-2013, 17:36
I too wondered about these?

Feral Bill
02-12-2013, 17:41
Do the maps have contour lines and other topographic data? If not, they are not useful, if so, why the profile? They really should have a sample page on their web site. I just contacted them to ask.

max patch
02-12-2013, 17:59
Theres probably a reason why they are not directly compared to the ATC maps.

DripDry
02-12-2013, 18:15
I have a couple of them from AntigravityGear. They have an example on their website (http://www.antigravitygear.com/pocket-profile-appalachian-trail-elevation-profile-map.html). It is a nice addition to the AT Guide, which I use and couldn't imagine hiking without.

yellowsirocco
02-12-2013, 18:29
I think I would take the Postholer maps over these.

rocketsocks
02-12-2013, 19:54
I think I would take the Postholer maps over these.I like the Postholer.com maps. The area's I know and have crossed referenced are spot on....

jimmyjam
02-13-2013, 10:01
I have AWOL's 2012 set. I've only used the one for the SNP, but I've found it to be accurate. I like the simple layout. It shows you elevation gain/loss, distances, water sources and services available. The profile maps coordinate well with his guide book. They are also waterproof. I would reccomend them.

Lyle
02-13-2013, 11:25
I've had a couple of them. In my opinion, they do not, in any way, replace a real map. For those folks who opt not to carry a real map, I suppose these are better than nothing.

I'll stick with the Guide and the real maps.

stillatit
02-13-2013, 19:33
Thanks for the input all.

:cool:

Cosmo
02-18-2013, 21:39
I just got these for the mid-Atlantic (section hike this spring). I think they would be good for thru hiking, more than for a section hiker. As a thru hiker, you need profile info, trail services info, and a general idea about where the trail is going. Section hikers (to generalize) need a bit more info about terrain, road crossings, and other on/off Trail planning info. These maps DO pack a lot of info into a small, light package, but the simplified map doesn't do it for me.

Cosmo

I've had a couple of them. In my opinion, they do not, in any way, replace a real map. For those folks who opt not to carry a real map, I suppose these are better than nothing.

I'll stick with the Guide and the real maps.