06-10-2005, 23:58
just wondering what most hikers drink on the trail besides h2o

neo
06-11-2005, 00:08
i usually get poweraid in the qt bottle,its cheaper,but powdered gatoraid
on sale even better:cool: neo

Mountain Hippie
06-11-2005, 00:35
I prefer Kool-aide (Grape)over the sports drink mixes.

neo
06-11-2005, 00:42
I prefer Kool-aide (Grape)over the sports drink mixes.
that will work:cool: neo

fiddlehead
06-11-2005, 03:38
Water on the trail only. At camp, it's hot tea and in the morning it's hot coffee. I don't mind a gatoraid in town on a hot day but never felt like carrying the extra weight on the trail. i like to keep it simple when possible.

Lone Wolf
06-11-2005, 06:45
Nutrasweet grape or cherry Kool-Aid

cmr_hiker
06-11-2005, 06:58
go check out emergencee by alacer corporation. its another packaged powdered drink mix. imo better than both of the above options. also a hot tea drink being yerba mate.

Big Dawg
06-11-2005, 09:06
I sweat profusely when excercising/hiking,, & perform much better when my electrolytes (potassium, etc) are replenished often. Food doesn't completely replenish the electrolytes for me. I have carried powered gatoraid in the past, but find it too sweet,, & has too mush sodium, & too little potassium. So a few years ago, I discovered Gookinaid Hydralyte (www.gookinaid.com (http://www.gookinaid.com)),, also found at www.rei.com (http://www.rei.com) & www.campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com) ,,,, this stuff is awesome! I highly recommend it,, if you don't mind carrying the weight. For me, it's a must.:clap

Footslogger
06-11-2005, 10:07
Not that picky. I grab a 20oz bottle of whatever type is in the cooler when I pass through. I typically carry Gatorade powder with me anyway so I am really buying it for the "coldness" and the clean bottle.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Stoker53
06-11-2005, 10:59
I usually carry a few 1L packs of powered gatoraide. I feel better with my electrolytes topped off. I also carry Crystal Light On the Go packets as well ( lemonade - the tea flavor sucks ) to kill the iodine taste from the purification tabs.

Lone Wolf
06-11-2005, 11:21
I drink this stuff when I run Ultras. Good stuff http://www.extremeultrarunning.co/conquest.htm

Lone Wolf
06-11-2005, 11:23
no ******* edit button www.extremeultrarunning.com/conquest.htm

JoeHiker
06-11-2005, 18:49
If not water, Propel

neo
06-12-2005, 00:10
wow no votes for mountain dew,i used to drink code red mountain dew a lot
in virginia:cool: neo

The Will
06-13-2005, 17:47
Not that I find this relavent to backpacking, but the MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test) prep services advise against drinking PowerAide while taking the MCAT, claiming that it contains a natural depressent.

neo
06-13-2005, 18:22
Not that I find this relavent to backpacking, but the MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test) prep services advise against drinking PowerAide while taking the MCAT, claiming that it contains a natural depressent.
i am never depressed on the AT:cool: neo

Tim Rich
06-13-2005, 20:50
I use Cytomax each mornings and at day's end. On a long day, I may take a hit in midafternoon. A southbounder in Virginia about 10 or 12 years ago sold me on the stuff, saying it did wonders eliminating his next day muscle soreness. Wish I could remember his name - before trail, he had been a stressed our air traffic controller (maybe with Fedex?), but he was drinking deeply of the trail with no intentions of returning to the pressure cooker.

Cytomax has worked well for me since then. Water when actually walking, but a cup of coffee in the morning, a pack of hot chocolate or another coffee after dinner, and a little bit of tang mixed in for variety.

Take Care,

Tim

Mags
06-14-2005, 10:52
Water..that's it.

Don't like futzing around with powders.

In town? Hot, delicious coffee in the morning
a good local brew at night

When I hit a road crossing and see a trail angel cache or a small store that I am blasting in and out of: A cold sugary soda.

YMMV.

neo
06-14-2005, 23:20
looks like gator aid is in the lead:cool: neo

C-Stepper
06-15-2005, 08:19
I'm a big water fan, but I carry a couple of EmergenC packets/day that I drink for a change of pace, usually with dinner. My local GNC carries 3 flavors (not sure if there are more than that).

http://www.a1nutritionproducts.com/buy/alacer_corp/emergen_c .

WAY lighter and not as sweet as the sugary stuff--works for me.

Buckingham
07-14-2005, 16:14
I recently discovered the joys of a cup of java at first light on a mountain morning, now it is a mainstay of my pack.

justusryans
07-14-2005, 19:15
Crystal Light, It's even good hot, and you're not carrying all that sugar weight.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-03-2005, 19:24
Coffee in the AM for the safety of the rest of you on the trail and water the rest of the time.

prozac
08-04-2005, 06:49
Gotta go with the Ryans, Crystal Light is the best. Weighs next to nothing and a little goes a long way.

Lanthar Mandragoran
08-04-2005, 12:56
I'm a big water fan, but I carry a couple of EmergenC packets/day that I drink for a change of pace, usually with dinner. My local GNC carries 3 flavors (not sure if there are more than that).

http://www.a1nutritionproducts.com/buy/alacer_corp/emergen_c .

WAY lighter and not as sweet as the sugary stuff--works for me.
:sun I love emergen-C

Jaybird
08-29-2005, 10:32
no ******* edit button www.extremeultrarunning.com/conquest.htm

I prefer watered down GatorAde rather than PowerAde.
(when i'm hikin' or bikin')

yea...whats up with the NO EDIT button?

kyhipo
08-29-2005, 10:34
i like coffee and wata :D ky

Seeker
08-29-2005, 12:26
while hiking/camping, usually just water. sometimes some sort of kool aid added for color and slight flavor after several days, to break the monotony.

at home or during re-supply stops, Mtn Dew. good enough even if it's warm, can't be beat if it's ice cold, not even by a beer (IMHO). plus, i can drink it at work, in the car, etc, without any trouble...

badinfluence
08-30-2005, 15:05
Hot dayum.

Am I the only one that has a water bottle and one with iced tea?

I drink plenty of water, but when I rest, I like to drop down a few gulps of good 'ol fashioned iced tea.

Then again, some of the ultralights gawk at the fact that I actually bring something to make coffee with on the trail.

Jonathan