PDA

View Full Version : Ways to supplement trail runners for early March NOBO

snaef999
02-12-2013, 23:54
I have been hiking for years with a pair of big old boots. For my thru hike I have been convinced by others to try trail runners. I appreciate the light weight and ease of drying. The pair that I found most comfortable are made by Vasque (cant remember model atm). They are mostly open airy mesh uppers and I am concerned about hitting cold wet conditions in March. I would rather not buy a second pair of shoes but will if that is the best advice. I have looked into 'water proof' socks like these: http://www.rei.com/category/4501322 . I am generally pretty warm to begin with but cold wet feet might be a little much. If I have a water proof layer and a good warm sock will this approach be enough?

-Scott

BrianLe
02-13-2013, 00:18
Of the stuff shown in that link, I'd go for the Rocky brand goretex socks and be sure to size them up --- i.e., get a pair larger than your nominal shoe size to fit a beefy wool sock inside. I've used these and they're okay, they do help. Just don't expect them to magically keep you entirely dry, and note that it's possible to get wet from the top down inside with these. And just in general if it's wet enough for long enough, your feet aren't going to stay dry in anything.

Wool socks alone will do a lot. I'd also suggest a pair of breadbags (the thin plastic sack that a loaf of bread comes in). Use these in camp so you can put on dry wool socks and keep those dry inside wet trail runners.

The main thing by far is the wool socks. I started NOBO on the AT in late Feb and used trail runners throughout, and I hiked in a relatively high snow year (2010). It's not for everyone, and I don't suggest it if you have no prior experience at using trail runners in snow --- so try them out in snow well before you commit to this approach.

Prime Time
02-13-2013, 09:59
Unless you use all leather or insulated boots, high uppers aren't going to keep your feet much warmer than low cuts in wet, cold, or snow conditions. The secret, as is mentioned above by BrianLe is wear wool socks (I prefer Darn Tough), and change out to a dry pair when you get to camp. I have a pair of Altra Adams (8.5 oz.) ultralight trail runners that I change into when in camp and I also use light Smartwool liners when hiking in wet, cold conditions. I hike in low cut Northface Hedgehogs in colder weather and switch to lighter Solomon Trail Runners once it gets warmer.

Blissful
02-13-2013, 22:22
Your feet won't be cold until you stop hiking. Then you can change into warm pair of socks (I like Acorn for camp) and crocs. And rejoice that your trail runners will soon be dry (in as little as a day) while boots take twice as long.

snaef999
02-13-2013, 22:22
Thank you both for the feedback. I will plan on a warm sock and I think I'll put off on the (not so) water proof socks for now. I will make sure I have dry socks to change into in an emergency and will probably bring a pair of light camp shoes that I can keep dry. I might send the camp shoes back once I know the cold wont be an issue but might keep them if its a real wet spring.

Prime Time
02-14-2013, 10:27
You just may find you want to keep the camp shoes. It's just nice to get out of your hiking shoes because they will always be one or more of the following at the end of each day: sweaty, cold, muddy, smelly, falling apart, soaking wet. The camp shoes are a great reprieve. I used to use crocs until I discovered Altra Adams. They are lighter, warmer, and in a pinch you can hike in them. For stream crossings they take only an hour or so to dry out completely, and won't wear out or break as easily as crocks. They are actually minimalist running shoes so offer some support as well. I wear them around the house all the time because they are so comfortable. I would NEVER do that with crocs.

leaftye
02-14-2013, 10:42
There's bag-tex. :)

I'm joking a little, but it works. Basically you put your thick socks between two layers of plastic bags. Some people wear a liner sock against their sock, then the first bag, then the thick socks, and finally the last bag. Some hikers have found that the bags last longer if you duct tape the top of the bag so that your foot doesn't slide forward against the bag and bust open the toe section.

snaef999
02-17-2013, 21:32
Thanks PrimeTime for the tip on the Adams. I took a look at their site and might just get a pair. Looks like they will be a comfortable change from my normal shoes at then end of the day....and they are light! The Altra site lists them at 4.7 oz. do you know if that is for the pair or each?

Leaftye....low tech is often the best way to go. I might just bring some bags just in case, thanks for the tip.

Malto
02-17-2013, 21:57
There's bag-tex. :)

I'm joking a little, but it works. Basically you put your thick socks between two layers of plastic bags. Some people wear a liner sock against their sock, then the first bag, then the thick socks, and finally the last bag. Some hikers have found that the bags last longer if you duct tape the top of the bag so that your foot doesn't slide forward against the bag and bust open the toe section.

This is my preferred method though I made my own nylon version because the bread bags would quickly get holes. I have found bread bags work great in camp, put on a dry pair of sock then bread bags and wet shoes. Heaven.

One final thought.... I would rather have thin socks than thick, they dry faster. I have yet to have have cold feet when hiking once I get warmed up. Breaks are different story.

Zippy Morocco
02-18-2013, 00:44
http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-Details/4636/1600FQ0008013/Rocky-13''-GORE-TEX%C2%AE-Socks/

My plan is to use gortex socks and thin darn tough for the wet and cold. They work very well. Also these are on sale for $37.00. The size 11 weigh 3.04 ounces.

ChinMusic
02-18-2013, 00:57
I'd also suggest a pair of breadbags (the thin plastic sack that a loaf of bread comes in). Use these in camp so you can put on dry wool socks and keep those dry inside wet trail runners.
I have used this strategy for cold-weather trips since reading it here on WB some years ago. It is a great near-zero strategy. For colder weather I bring down booties.

I am not concerned with cold feet while moving. It has never been an issue with me.

Be sure to loosen the laces of your trail runners wide open prior to bed. It is much easier to get your feet in the frozen shoes in the morning.