PDA

View Full Version : Telephone drop points first?

Werdigo
02-13-2013, 05:13
Is it advisable to telephone the places to which one is planning to send drop boxes first? My inclination is YES, asking permission as courtesy and to be sure they still accept drop boxes. But a lot of people are starting on the AT this spring, so I can easily imagine the motels/B&Bs/PO's preferring not to be bothered with phone calls.

kayak karl
02-13-2013, 05:35
check the guide book. if in question call. do not send too far in advance. they don't want boxes sitting for months at a time. no need to call a PO?

leaftye
02-13-2013, 05:45
Is it advisable to telephone the places to which one is planning to send drop boxes first? My inclination is YES, asking permission as courtesy and to be sure they still accept drop boxes. But a lot of people are starting on the AT this spring, so I can easily imagine the motels/B&Bs/PO's preferring not to be bothered with phone calls.

Werdigo: Are you holding packages for AT thru hikers this year?
motel/B&B/PO: yes/no
Werdigo: Thanks. See you soon!

10 seconds or less. I don't think it'd bother them at all, and I think it shows a great deal of courtesy in 10 seconds.

10-K
02-13-2013, 08:17
I would call out of concern I wasn't sending my package to a black hole more than a courtesy to the receipient though a phone call does accomplish both.

Sly
02-13-2013, 10:50
If it's a private establishment I would definitely call first to see if they're still accepting hiker packages, and if there's any charges or conditions (for guests only?). Also, the P.O. will hold general delivery for 30 days before returning to sender.

RED-DOG
02-13-2013, 12:29
Yes call the places especially if you don't planning to stay their.

max patch
02-13-2013, 12:56
I would never send a package to a hostel or boarding house unless I planned on staying there. Common courtesy.

tiptoe
02-13-2013, 14:50
I generally call first to verify that the people do accept maildrops and also to make sure that I have the address correct.

Sly
02-16-2013, 21:47
I would never send a package to a hostel or boarding house unless I planned on staying there. Common courtesy.

Agreed but sometimes plans change. Hikers should also realize that sending a package doesn't garanteee a spot in a hostel or motel.