PDA

View Full Version : Big Meadows in SNP

Dobie Swift
02-13-2013, 11:14
Does anyone know if the wayside store or the lodge at Big Meadows in SNP accepts maildrops?

Thanks!

RED-DOG
02-13-2013, 12:27
I don't think so, but i never heard of anybody wanting to, a Hiker should be able to pick up enough supplies in either Waynesboro for NOBO's or Front Royal for SOBO's to make it through the park. but they might so why don't you call them and find out, but some of those waysides don't open until April-May

jbwood5
02-13-2013, 12:38
The Big Meadows wayside in SNP was managed by Aramark (outside contractor) until the first of this year. The contract was just awarded to a Buffalo, New York Company. It is unlikely that they even know that hikers look for mail drop locations. When I was there several years ago, the workers were mostly clueless about anything other than their own business there at the restaurant and gift shop. I would not consider mailing anything there, especially with new management trying to get there act together.

Cookerhiker
02-13-2013, 13:07
Does anyone know if the wayside store or the lodge at Big Meadows in SNP accepts maildrops?

Thanks!

I wouldn't count on Big Meadows accepting your maildrops, even under their new management. It's unfortunate, because in our state of KY, the state parks at Natural Bridge and Cumberland Falls accept maildrops for Sheltowee hikes. But for whatever reason, it's been longstanding policy/practice that none of the SNP concessionaires will take them.

But the good news is there's a store not far off Swift Run Gap where you can mail packages. See this thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?83449-Finally-!!-A-new-business-that-will-accept-food-drops-near-Shenandoah-Nat-l-Park&highlight= (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?83449-Finally-!!-A-new-business-that-will-accept-food-drops-near-Shenandoah-Nat-l-Park&highlight=)

And you can expect that within 2-3 more posts, someone will tell you that you don't need maildrops in SNP - that seems to be the standard line of response on this subject. But it doesn't answer your question or follow HYOH principles.:rolleyes: Just a prediction...

Dobie Swift
02-13-2013, 13:40
Thanks for the replies. Planning a Buena Vista, Va to Front Royal, Va section hike for April and was looking for a resupply point. I dehydrate my own food and would rather not resupply from a store if possible. Thanks for the info.

jimmyjam
02-13-2013, 14:12
Just buy your stuff in the park. Loft Mountain Campground, Lewis Mountain Campground, and Big Meadows Campground all have a store.Just check the park's web site to be sure they are open. Plus there is a restaurant at Loft Mtn wayside and one at Big Meadows.

Dobie Swift
02-13-2013, 14:15
Just buy your stuff in the park. Loft Mountain Campground, Lewis Mountain Campground, and Big Meadows Campground all have a store.Just check the park's web site to be sure they are open. Plus there is a restaurant at Loft Mtn wayside and one at Big Meadows.

I know I can BUY in the park, but as I said in my reply "I dehydrate my own food and would rather not resupply from a store if possible."

Cookerhiker
02-13-2013, 14:54
....And you can expect that within 2-3 more posts, someone will tell you that you don't need maildrops in SNP - that seems to be the standard line of response on this subject. But it doesn't answer your question or follow HYOH principles.:rolleyes: Just a prediction...

What did I tell ya?

yellowsirocco
02-13-2013, 15:23
I would mail drop to Waynesboro and plan on eating a few restaurant meals in the park. The trail angels in Waynesboro are great. Their list is so big you basically get a free shuttle both ways almost on demand. And the grocery store is very close to the PO so maybe you can pick up some perishables to liven up the menu.

Also Dutch Haus is in your section and they are pretty awesome.

Dobie Swift
02-14-2013, 10:01
I would mail drop to Waynesboro and plan on eating a few restaurant meals in the park. The trail angels in Waynesboro are great. Their list is so big you basically get a free shuttle both ways almost on demand. And the grocery store is very close to the PO so maybe you can pick up some perishables to liven up the menu.

Glad to hear this. Was hoping to get a ride into Waynesboro for a hotel stay. Sounds like it will be no problem getting there and back to the trail.

Blissful
02-14-2013, 23:06
No drops within the park.

If you are just sectioning, it's a great store at Swift Run. Be sure to call ahead.

Blissful
02-14-2013, 23:07

Yes they are great folks who love hikers

Blissful
02-14-2013, 23:13
I know I can BUY in the park, but as I said in my reply "I dehydrate my own food and would rather not resupply from a store if possible."

Some people don't read through all the posts but answer the first question. That's what I do. I don't have time to sift through every response and analyze it.
If you have specific requirements relating to the question, it's good to state it at the beginning of your thread. I would have said right off to try and buy if you can to get through the park unless you like to hitch long miles off the ridge just for a drop.

Slow n' Steady
02-17-2013, 13:27
Tree Streets Inn in Waynesboro and Dutch Haus are both very awesome, hiker-friendly places and worth every penny.