PDA

View Full Version : New to PCT...getting started?

-Ghost-
02-13-2013, 11:58
So I thru-hiked the AT in 2011. Next up is the PCT! Im planning for a spring 2014 start going NOBO. Being that I'm from the east coast and backpack here regularly planning for the AT wasnt difficult especially with regard to clothing. Looking for good articles to get me started in my planning. Definitely buying Yogi's guide once it gets closer to my start date. My main questions are dealing with what clothing I'll be needing as im not particularly familiar with the weather along the way. So any 'generic' gear/clothing lists would be appreciated. Also I'm definitely looking to go lightweight this time around. On the AT my pack was low 30s when maxed out. Looking for low 20s this time. So more UL oriented articles/pack lists would be ideal. Thanks guys!

Malto
02-13-2013, 12:12
Two places that I would lurk would be postholer and BPL (backpackinglight) Both are very west coast oriented and you can find a great deal of PCT specific info on postholer. I would read through a very journals of hikers with Similiar styles. If you are more UL oriented I suspect you will find that approach a bit more common than you did on the AT.

Mags
02-13-2013, 12:21
If I may suggest something written by me:
http://www.pmags.com/pacific-crest-trail-planning-info

Again, I'm lazy and tend to not type something I wrote before. ;)

garlic08
02-13-2013, 13:15
Ray Jardine's book "Beyond Backpacking (http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Backpacking-Jardines-Lightweight-Hiking/dp/0963235931)" is pretty old now (1999--so twentieth century), but it is oriented to the PCT and might give you some UL ideas. I thought most of it was wacky until after I hiked the PCT, then most of it made perfect sense (except the part about corn pasta-yuk).

There are a bunch of PCT journals and packing lists on trailjournals.com.

And you can't go wrong with anything Mags says on his site.

I hiked the AT after I hiked the PCT and brought the same clothing, so there's nothing absolutely specific about hiking the PCT. The average PCT hiker looks way different than the average AT hiker though, for sure.

Paying attention to desert sun is important. My hiking clothing is long trousers and long sleeve shirt and a wide brim hat. Under the shirt I can wear a light or heavy jersey or both, and over it I have a Marmot Driclime jacket and silnylon anorak (homemade). I have silnylon rain pants for the legs. And a watch cap and glove liners and extra socks. That's it for clothing. You should be able to wear everything at once as a layering system. In the Sierra you'll need sunglasses and suncreen for reflection off snow.

burger
02-13-2013, 13:26
Just get Yogi's PCT handbook: http://www.pcthandbook.com It has all the information you'd want on gear, resupply, trail conditions, etc. Worth it's weight in gold.

BrianLe
02-13-2013, 15:20
Agreed on everything above. I think that a typical AT hiker will look at reports about snow in the Sierras and think about cold desert nights at the beginning and in some cases go overboard with clothing as a result. If you err on the "I want to be warm" side, I suggest that you do so in a layered way that allows you to send some stuff home along the way. So for example, don't start with a 10F or 15F rated bag, but a decent down 20F bag that you wear your puffy jacket inside. Bring just a relatively light puffy jacket (Montbell EX light for example); you can augment with a light fleece if you want, and then when you realize that a wind shirt in day time and a puffy jacket at camp is enough, mail it home.

All that said, you might want to do some gear swaps (including perhaps clothing) at the end of the Sierras; for me, anyway, a 20F bag was the right choice for the first thousand miles or so, and overkill after that. Of course a full zip bag is best if you don't use a quilt (so the bag can be used in quilt mode).

You can always post to pct-l and get more feedback there. Sometimes a low signal-to-noise ratio, but it's been better of late I think. You can post there and get single per-day emails or no email, just look at the archives for responses.

Dogwood
02-13-2013, 17:01
Ditto to all that gg-man, burger, garlic and BrianLe said. Yogi's and Mag's PCT guides have a bit of info about clothing. Some PCTers, including myself, when going UL swap out gear, including some apparel pieces. I also did this with sleeping bags to minimize the wt and volume.

Dogwood
02-13-2013, 18:07
For planning, I used the Wilderness Press PCT Guidebooks(So Cal., No Cal., OR/WA) taking a few pages out for on trail use where I felt the need FOR MY hike. I would think most ULers would think the entire book weighs too much and probably has some info not desired to carry the whole thing. I like visiting near trail attractions and occasionally take alternates or employ little used resupply pts. Like I did part of the now largely abandoned Oregon Trail in addition to the PCT and hit up several fishing/marinas/private camps in OR to supplement my resupplying which, although sometimes took a little more time, really helped minimized my food/gear wt hauls. I flew through OR. I brought HalfMile's free maps where I thought necessary.

Although this has been said many times by others I'll fast track your planning by telling you the PCT south of KM is a place where you can possibly save some real wt on clothing, shelter, maybe some other gear wt. That's what I did(tarp, lighter wt layering pieces, lighter wt and highly breathable trail runners, etc). In So Cal, and on other parts of the PCT, I practically entirely hiked in clothing/gear that I wear when jogging at home in mild temps and weather. Of course, this can snowball into needing a lesser volume, and hopefully lower wt., pack. In the Sierras at KM keep rolling NOBO with the same kit or depending on conditions WISELY make some adjustments to your kit. After the Sierras swap back to the summer(3 season) lightest wt UL PCT thru-hiking kit. I did.

SCRUB HIKER
02-13-2013, 18:24
I'm in the same position as you, Ghost, except I'm PCTing this year instead of next (AT 2011). I gleaned a lot of info from Mags' guide, WhiteBlaze, Postholer, PlanYourHike, and whatnot, but then I bought Yogi's book a month ago and wondered what all that other effort was for. Yogi's book has it all right there for you, with some variety in the advice because it's crowdsourced from a dozen different former thru-hikers, and it's all PCT-centric. Whether it's good advice or not remains to be seen, because I haven't actually tried or succeeded on the PCT yet, but I suspect it's pretty reliable.

Dogwood
02-13-2013, 19:29
Scrub Hiker is probably right in his assessment of Yogi's guidebooks, which is what I would expect from a conscientious, intelligent, well organized, almost two time Triple Crown thru-hiker like Yogi. She puts her guidebooks together exceptionally well, especially for thru-hiking! And the costs are reasonable, especially considering all the possible worthwhile info they contain.

leaftye
02-13-2013, 20:01
You can always post to pct-l and get more feedback there. Sometimes a low signal-to-noise ratio, but it's been better of late I think. You can post there and get single per-day emails or no email, just look at the archives for responses.

This is usually one of my first recommendations.

If you go with individual emails, which I like better, it can be a LOT of emails. In regards to individual emails... If you're computer savvy enough to figure out how to set up an automatic rule to have pct-l email automatically sorted into a sub folder, which will keep your inbox clean and usable, then go ahead and use an existing email. If you're not computer savvy at all, I highly recommend you start a new email account solely for pct-l.

fiddlehead
02-13-2013, 20:05
The main difference in clothing is that you need a hat (for sure) on the PCT.
OK, nothing is absolutely essential of course, but a hat and long sleeve (yes cotton) shirt is a very good idea.
One that ventilates is a good idea too. (hat I mean)

Have fun.
I would think you probably will!

Mags
02-13-2013, 20:12
and wondered what all that other effort was for.

Can't speak for the others, but in my case, felt there was a need for some Q&D during a workshop at ALDHA given a few years back. Not about to read a book to 50 people. :D

Mine's just a quick launching point. Something to read online and get the basics in one-bite sized snack.

From there, explore other more detailed resources.

At least for me, better to take a sip from a water fountain first. Drinking straight from the fire hose first may be more difficult. :)

Malto
02-13-2013, 20:19
This is usually one of my first recommendations.

If you go with individual emails, which I like better, it can be a LOT of emails. In regards to individual emails... If you're computer savvy enough to figure out how to set up an automatic rule to have pct-l email automatically sorted into a sub folder, which will keep your inbox clean and usable, then go ahead and use an existing email. If you're not computer savvy at all, I highly recommend you start a new email account solely for pct-l.

Going straight to the archives eliminates the emails completely. They seem to be up to date so you have years worth of comments as well as current info.

Chuckie V
02-13-2013, 20:24
Can't speak for the others, but in my case, felt there was a need for some Q&D during a workshop at ALDHA given a few years back. Not about to read a book to 50 people. :D
Mine's just a quick launching point. Something to read online and get the basics in one-bite sized snack. From there, explore other more detailed resources. At least for me, better to take a sip from a water fountain first. Drinking straight from the fire hose first may be more difficult. :)

And I would add that while Yogi's book stands on its own and is certainly the premiere source for the PCT (with additional maps or guidebook in hand), it's also another expense.

Mags's site and others are free for the (info) gathering. Most of us on these forums are here to learn or help others learn, and the information, while not so nicely condensed as in Yogi's book, abounds.

Of course, the best information is found via the feet, not in a book or on a website.

SCRUB HIKER
02-14-2013, 00:36

Mine's just a quick launching point. Something to read online and get the basics in one-bite sized snack.

From there, explore other more detailed resources.

At least for me, better to take a sip from a water fountain first. Drinking straight from the fire hose first may be more difficult. :)

Oh, I didn't mean to diss your site at all, Mags--I was just trying to give a big compliment to Yogi's book because of how all-encompassing it is. I just created my own site/blog about the PCT (check my signature) and your Quick and Dirty Guide is the first link on the links page because I think it's so helpful. I've personally recommended it to friends and I tried to post a thank you at the bottom of it once, since the only one appeared to be some guy quibbling with you over something minor, but I'm sure the statute of limitations on comments had long since expired. I suppose I could have phrased my earlier comment better to show that your site, and all the others that I've been to, are all very useful.

Dogwood
02-14-2013, 01:52
Mags knows the value of his guides. He knows why he spent so much time putting them together, and, yes, offering them for free. Mags guides were meant to condense the massive amount of info and possible sources of info associated with a thru-hike, a PCT thru-hike in this case.

I used his guide exclusively for my CT thru and his CDT guide was one of my major beta sources for my CDT thru-hike. Both were condensed and well thought out from a thru-hiker perspective because he's a well experienced thru-hiker. And, I think he does all this because he loves hiking, hikers, and sharing what he has learned first hand. I don't think he does any of this for his ego and certainly not to get rich. Just my 2 cents.

Dogwood
02-14-2013, 01:56
Hence, MAG'S Quick and Dirty Guide to the PCT. Like he says, not every thru-hiker wants or needs to read a book to do a thru-hike.

leaftye
02-14-2013, 05:49
Going straight to the archives eliminates the emails completely. They seem to be up to date so you have years worth of comments as well as current info.
That's okay. I'd rather have those years of emails in my account, preferably a Gmail account. Gmail searches and displays those emails much better than the archives.

10-K
02-14-2013, 07:01
Interesting... I'm also planning a 2014 thru of the PCT.

Someone mailed me a copy of Yogi's 2009 guide and I've been studying it. I've already read Mag's guide, Postholer and a few others. When the time comes I'm not worried about have enough information as there is plenty to choose from.

My thing is trying to figure out of I want to be in a herd by starting with the folks who go to ADZPCTKO or not.

Chuckie V
02-14-2013, 08:38
Interesting... I'm also planning a 2014 thru of the PCT. My thing is trying to figure out of I want to be in a herd by starting with the folks who go to ADZPCTKO or not.

You'll have to decide. The PCT isn't nearly the social experience as the AT and "the herd" thins quickly. More and more PCTers hike a week or two, then get a ride back down to the ADZ, before returning to where they left off the trail. Others come to the ADZ and hike slowly enough at first, so that they can "break themselves in" with lower mileage days, while allowing the herd to get a gap. The PCT in SoCal is fairly forgiving in this sense, in that there's enough options for resupply, so that you can start off fairly gently, though water availability (and the possibility of extreme heat) tend to be the primary concerns doing this, depending on the year.

Other hikers who go to the event hike the first day back to the ADZ and then speed off in front of the pack the day it ends. If you're a faster hiker (20+ mpd), this will pose no problem.

The herd certainly exists (ask Donna Saufley, the trail angel extraordinaire...and she's a month north of the southern terminus) and it does present all kinds of possible problems/scenarios (as does being behind the herd, as townspeople may treat you a certain way after they've been mistreated by individuals within the herd), but it's also easy to find your place without joining them, if that's what you prefer. In NorCal it's hard to even remember that there was a herd at all, in that the PCT can get pretty lonely!

Mags
02-14-2013, 11:30
re: ADZPCTKO

I found the KO to be more interesting after I did the PCT. I enjoy the the camaraderie of hikers, but tend to like a smaller group even in town. When I did the AT, tended to be in front of the main pack with less people. Was surprised at the amount of people initially on the PCT.

Based on what I know of your hiking style, you may feel similar. Though the challenges of the PCT are different from the wooded Eastern environments that you know, you are an experienced and disciplined hiker who does not necc need the social network and services provided by starting with "the herd".

Think you may enjoy starting ~2 wks after "the herd" and doing your own thing.

EDIT: Then there's the "Wild" effect. Suspect there will more people at the start due to this book. Another reason to start later if you are a strong hiker. :)

BrianLe
02-14-2013, 13:36
Yes, apart maybe from the possible 'Wild' effect, I like the idea of starting right with the herd, or at least I did when I hiked. It was a lot of fun sharing the excitement of starting a thru-hike with a lot of others around me, and finding places to camp wasn't at all a problem.

W.r.t. Yogi's guide --- I agree that it's excellent. It's also great that free info sites exist, because there are a lot of varying viewpoints on all sorts of things out there. And because some folks are indeed on a very tight budget.

Another reason that it's great that free info sites exist, such as Mags and Postholer and others is that some people want planning info well in advance, but want to buy the current-year version of Yogi's guide. If you're a planner type, then ultimately you end up going through one or more of the free sites plus Yogi. If you're more the ad hoc, wing-it type, and/or have done some distance hiking before, just waiting until the current-year Yogi is available is plenty.

If you're really the planner type and/or it's your first rodeo, I highly suggest that a person read through Yogi's "bigger book" TWICE. Go through once and make notes of things to do in prep or change or whatever and start working on those. Do a shakedown hike, start narrowing down to where your gear list and prep in general is getting close. Then read through it AGAIN. The prep work you've done in the interim will leave you in a position to pick up on and think about ideas/info you get there that you might have missed the first time.

I'm not saying that this approach is necessary or that it's for everyone. If, however, you're doing a lot of advance prep and planning stuff anyway ... read it twice.

Dogwood
02-14-2013, 14:30
Interesting... I'm also planning a 2014 thru of the PCT.... My thing is trying to figure out of I want to be in a herd by starting with the folks who go to ADZPCTKO or not.

+1 to all that Chuckie V said. I also did not want head out from the Kick Off with 100's of other thru-hikers in a pack. I started earlier, hiked past Lake Moreno, and had a ride set up from about 2-3 days hiking time north of the Kick Off site. Got a different ride back to where I left off. I also knew the Sierras(PCT) already so was planning on entering at KM before the PostHoler suggested Sierra Entry Date. KM can stack up with thru-hikers too. If you are a strong hiker and desire possibly less snow wanting to hike HIGH MPD start later. You'll avoid most of the herd too. That's what Scott Williamson has done. It does tend to thin out after the Kick Off though. But then stacks up in a few places like the Saufleys, Andersons, KM etc

I really liked the KO. Lots of comradarie and useful info(including water and snow reports!). Plus some of the UL cottage gear companies are there offering discounts. And, if you are lucky, you'll have one of the previous yr's PCT thru-hikers serving you, like me. You can also get in on a group photo of the current yr's class. Usually, have one or more noted speakers/thru-hikers at the KO. It's all part of the PCT tradition. Happy trails to this yr's PCT class.

10-k I think you are going to love the PCT. Much fairer weather(I set my tarp up a total of 4 times on the PCT in 2008) than much eastern hiking making it tailor made for going UL most of the thru-hike, and condusive to big MPD. BIG scenery change too with MANY MORE far reaching views than much of the wooded Green Tunnel type hiking you may be accustomed to back east.

Ghost, forgot to mention. Part of going UL or minimizing the load wt south of KM would be beneficial because you'll need to account for some of the extra water wt hauls you'll have to do through the Mojave desert.

Dogwood
02-14-2013, 14:34
Oh, 10-K if you decide on doing what I did by starting earlier and getting a ride back post your need of a ride on the PCT-L Forums. That's how I got a ride back to the KO. If you leave off the hike at a convenient road crossing it's usually not a problem getting an impromptu ride back there if you leave the KO near the end of it when many will be driving out, probably your way.

-Ghost-
02-15-2013, 01:08
Awesome responses so far. Appreciate it guys. Postholer and backpackinglight alone have tons of valuable info (dont know how I havent actually checked them out until now...).The generic 'UL backpacking checklist' on BPL is really what I was hoping to find and it looked similar to what I was expecting/planning. Made myself a postholer account and been looking at past gear lists as well. Once I get a preliminary gear list together Ill post it on here and those others sites for some critique. Thanks again guys!

-Ghost-
02-15-2013, 01:10
Oh and also Mags I actually already had your quick and dirty guide bookmarked before making this post. Also lots of good info! Appreciate it =)