PDA

View Full Version : Where to acclimate!

Evenflow
02-14-2013, 00:04
My permit date is July.1st. I was wondering where should be some of the better places to hang out and get prepared for the higher elevations. TM or Mammoth?

fiddlehead
02-14-2013, 00:14
Given the choice between the two, I'd choose Tuollume (I assume that's what you mean by TM)
You are closer to the wilderness, less places to spend money, and higher elevation.
Mammoth can be expensive (the town) from what I remember and a hike out of there won't be as easy as Tuollume I think.
Just my 2 cents.

Dogwood
02-14-2013, 02:27
+1 Ditto to that.

Dogwood
02-14-2013, 02:29
Day hikes around TM can be AWESOME. Stay at the TM campground near the store/PO as a home base.

Evenflow
02-14-2013, 21:30
How many nights there would be good enough to go? I really like the idea of exploring the area for a few days. Thanks for any advice. I'm an AT hiker, this is ALL new.

Mountain Mike
02-14-2013, 21:37
TM of your two. Another option Red Meadows.

CarlZ993
02-14-2013, 22:21
+TM as well. Beautiful place. If you camp @ TM, be sure to religiously use the bear boxes in the campsites. I'm camped there twice (backpacker site) and saw bears walk by within 30 feet of me both times. Bears are known to walk thru the camps and get in open bear boxes for food. People don't scare the bears there.

FYI - 7/1 can be an early start on the JMT. It could result in some snow issues in the passes. Do your research on snow conditions beforehand. Heavy snow pack and/or a cold spring could mean you'll need to carry an ice ax.

leaftye
02-14-2013, 22:56
Mammoth Lakes is expensive, and can get very EXPENSIVE if you succumb to temptation.

How long you need to acclimate would surely depend on what kind of acclimatization you want. If it's to prevent altitude sickness, I recall some members saying that in some cases it makes no difference. If it's to help your red blood count...I don't know.

Reds Meadow was recommended, but be aware that it might not be open by July 1st. It probably will be, but keep an eye on the opening date and plan accordingly. If you camp on the western side, you'll see a lot of deer, but also be closer to the mosquitoes. The very eastern side will get a lot of vehicular traffic going to the restrooms, hot spring and dumpsters...overflowing dumpsters. The showers are supposed to be closed again this year.

Evenflow
02-14-2013, 23:34
Thanks! I understand so far the snow pack is about average but anything could happen between now and July. I will watch it carefully. Thanks again.

Malto
02-15-2013, 09:21
Another option further south is to camp at the trailhead at the top of Onion Valley Road. Elevation is about 9000 ft and Kearsarge Pass is a short day hike away. Could be an option if you are shuttling cars between the endpoints.

Cookerhiker
02-15-2013, 09:23
Last year, I planned a JMT thruhike, got the permit, and arrived at Tuolumne Meadows 8 days beforehand to acclimate. We spent those 8 days doing day hikes, working our way up to over 10K' and it worked; for the first time ever in my high-elevation hiking, I had no acclimation problems when we started the backpack.

For other reasons, we ended the hike at Mile 70 but that decision had nothing to do with acclimation issues.

Marta
02-15-2013, 09:34
Unless you are planning to do a fast hike, the hike itself will let you acclimate. Especially if you take it slow for the first three days. That said, spending a few more days in Tuolome will be great.

Plus one on being diligent about using the bear boxes and practicing good camp sanitation. I was chewed out by a ranger for leaving my cooking alcohol bottle on the picnic table. (My food was all properly stowed.) She was distributing tickets and fines right and left. Most of the tickets were well deserved.

leaftye
02-15-2013, 09:48
Plus one on being diligent about using the bear boxes and practicing good camp sanitation. I was chewed out by a ranger for leaving my cooking alcohol bottle on the picnic table. (My food was all properly stowed.) She was distributing tickets and fines right and left. Most of the tickets were well deserved.

Those bears will try to eat anything that resembles food. We had one bite into a bag of tobacco and a bottle of bleach.

Marta
02-15-2013, 10:00
Those bears will try to eat anything that resembles food. We had one bite into a bag of tobacco and a bottle of bleach.

Sounds like aversion therapy to me.

Berserker
02-15-2013, 13:36
[QUOTE=Marta;1417890]Unless you are planning to do a fast hike, the hike itself will let you acclimate. Especially if you take it slow for the first three days. That said, spending a few more days in Tuolome will be great.QUOTE]
This is what I'm planning to do. I'm going spend my first night out there at TM, and then head down to the valley to start my hike. Since I got an Illilouette permit it will take me 3 days to get back to TM, so I should be nice and acclimitized by then. I haven't done the JMT, but I have hiked in the Sierras before, and I seem to remember it taking roughly 2 - 3 days to fully acclimitize.

CarlZ993
02-15-2013, 22:04
Three days to TM should suffice. I've done that stretch several times before... always in 2 days. I was a tired puppy. I vowed to take more time the next time I do it. Have a leisurely hike along the JMT until I reach Muir Trail Ranch. From there, beat feet to Whitney Portal (long stretch w/o an easy resupply).

Dogwood
02-16-2013, 00:06
Twice hiking the JMT SOBO starting at the Happy isles TH, I flew in from sea level, spent a night in Yosemite Valley both times, and started the JMT the next or two days later. No problema with altitude sickness. Marta is right. Most acclimatize as they hike the JMT going SOBO when starting at HI TH or, I guess, maybe take a day or two in TM or YV before starting out. Taking it slow in the beginning when acclimitizing is always key. You might have to with the elev gain on the first day or two anyhow. But, there's no harm in taking in more of the fantastic Sierra scenery, not directly on a JMT thru-hike, as you've decided, Put some A1 sauce on that Filet Mignon and gravy on those taters! Take it up a notch. Nothing wrong with hitting the Crane Flat Giant Sequoia Grove from a home base at TM CG either. You are not going to experience ANY of the Giant Sequoia Groves if you stay on the JMT proper! Heck, just wandering around in TM is fantastic! Some shweet waterfalls on day hikes from the TM CG too!

It seems some folks are more susceptible to ACS than others. Some start showing symptoms at 7-8 K, some possibly a bit lower. Some, who have never had it in years of mountaineering suddenly and unexpectedly get it.

I knew YV was around 4800 ft and TM around 5800 ft but I forgot the town of Mammoth Lakes is a little over 8000 ft. You don't get to above 10 k until about mile 35 going SOBO on the JMT. You'll hit a little over 11k at about mile 36 at Donahue Pass. Here's a link to the JMT elev profile at Summit Post. http://www.summitpost.org/elevation-profile-for-john-muir-trail/538195

Da bears at TM and YV are crafty and bold. +1 to what all said about da bears at TM CG and, YEAH, the NPS DOES issue tickets for not properly storing stuff there.

Dogwood
02-16-2013, 00:13
Correction. YV elev. is around 4000 ft not 4800 ft. I hit an 8 instead of a 0.

Hole-In-The-Hat
02-16-2013, 10:37
Last time I was at Tuolumne Meadows, the elevation was more like 8600'.

Dogwood
02-16-2013, 12:45
Hole in the Hat, you are right. TM in YNP is at at around 8600 ft. The town of of TM Cali is at 5800 ft. I better stop talking about elev when I should be asleep.

Cookerhiker
02-16-2013, 22:59
Twice hiking the JMT SOBO starting at the Happy isles TH, I flew in from sea level, spent a night in Yosemite Valley both times, and started the JMT the next or two days later. No problema with altitude sickness. Marta is right. Most acclimatize as they hike the JMT going SOBO when starting at HI TH or, I guess, maybe take a day or two in TM or YV before starting out. Taking it slow in the beginning when acclimitizing is always key. You might have to with the elev gain on the first day or two anyhow. But, there's no harm in taking in more of the fantastic Sierra scenery, not directly on a JMT thru-hike, as you've decided, Put some A1 sauce on that Filet Mignon and gravy on those taters! Take it up a notch. Nothing wrong with hitting the Crane Flat Giant Sequoia Grove from a home base at TM CG either. You are not going to experience ANY of the Giant Sequoia Groves if you stay on the JMT proper! Heck, just wandering around in TM is fantastic! Some shweet waterfalls on day hikes from the TM CG too!

It seems some folks are more susceptible to ACS than others. Some start showing symptoms at 7-8 K, some possibly a bit lower. Some, who have never had it in years of mountaineering suddenly and unexpectedly get it. ...

My first JMT attempt in '06, I was so proud that I hiked from YV 13 miles uphill to Sunrise Sierra Camp on the first day (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=157093) with no problems. Then the next morning - WHAM! It hit me hard on what should have been an "easy" day. I barely made it to Tuolumne and took a rest day which ended up screwing up my whole schedule. My take is unless you're experienced and know your threshold for high elevation toleration, take 2 days to hike up from YV - even if you're "in shape" enough to hike those 13 like I was at the time.

Dogwood
02-17-2013, 02:06
I usually take two days too Cookerhiker. Why rush a good thing anyway?