PDA

View Full Version : maybe a new bag liner idea..maybe not

JHG008
02-14-2013, 00:24
I have read about using a trash compactor bag for a bag liner but I was in target tonight and picked up some XXL Ziploc big bags. They have a double zipper. Anyway it fits perfectly into my osprey exos 46. Figured I'd pass the idea along. Has anyone else done this? I hope it works as well as I think it will.

fredmugs
02-14-2013, 09:55
Are they stronger than a gallon sized zip lock? I would be afraid of it ripping or puncturing. If it's fits in your bag then why not?

Prime Time
02-14-2013, 10:11
They are extremely strong. I use them to travel with inside my suitcase because you can compress the contents. The largest one would be too small for my backpack with all my contents, however. Just make sure you put everything in you bag and try opening it, removing things and resealing it over and over just to make sure it's ample enough and isn't a PITA to work out of. Compactor bags work great because they are tough and have plenty of extra room for a 65 liter or smaller pack.

tds1195
02-14-2013, 10:13
I have used one before and the're pretty thick. You might be onto something, JHG! I use a 65L pack and doubt it would fit in there, though...

rocketsocks
02-14-2013, 10:23
I've been toying with idea of using a large dog food bag, ours...(hers) has a zipping lock, pleats top and bottom, is impervious to liquids up to 764,832mm. The problem is, as much as I love dogs, I don't want the responsibility of returning a weekends worth of dogs to their respective owners.

But they would work, I've got 2 or 3 laying around if interested.

tds1195
02-14-2013, 10:47
I've been toying with idea of using a large dog food bag, ours...(hers) has a zipping lock, pleats top and bottom, is impervious to liquids up to 764,832mm. The problem is, as much as I love dogs, I don't want the responsibility of returning a weekends worth of dogs to their respective owners.

But they would work, I've got 2 or 3 laying around if interested.

That sounds like it could work, too...but would it be much better than a trash compactor bag?

rocketsocks
02-14-2013, 10:50
That sounds like it could work, too...but would it be much better than a trash compactor bag?In a word...No, but it is dual use for those that feed puppy's and recycle :)

Don H
02-14-2013, 10:57
What's the weight on the Ziplock bags? Do you also carry things in stuff sacks and place them in one large Ziplock bag or do you use them separately?

I use Sea to Summit Ultra Sil Dry Sacks. I use either the 8 L (1.1 oz.) or the 13 L (1.4 oz.) one each for food, sleeping bag and clothing.

leaftye
02-14-2013, 11:03
It's a neat idea, but it would make using the pack compression straps tricky. That is, sealing the ziploc bag followed by using the compression straps would probably blow the ziploc bag open.

It's sold on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Double-Zipper-XX-Large-3-Count/dp/B003U6FMOK

24"x32"

Bosman
02-14-2013, 11:04
I use the trash compactor bag. I actually cut a slit in the bottom so when I hang my pack of my hammock tree straps I can pass the hang loop thru it and it acts to protect and keep my pack dry. This makes the bag dual purpose.It's probably harder for vermin to get in there at least from the top. You could rig a tbag so it is a rain cover.

grayfox
02-14-2013, 11:08
I have thought the same thing about my cat food bags. They are made of the same stuff as blue plastic tarps. I think washing the inside with a baking soda and dish soap mix would remove most of the smell. They are very durable and I have found lots of uses for them. I saw on youtube someone who put sticks through several bags and tied the sticks to trees to make a sort of hammock--I want to try that next summer.

rocketsocks
02-14-2013, 11:11
I have thought the same thing about my cat food bags. They are made of the same stuff as blue plastic tarps. I think washing the inside with a baking soda and dish soap mix would remove most of the smell. They are very durable and I have found lots of uses for them. I saw on youtube someone who put sticks through several bags and tied the sticks to trees to make a sort of hammock--I want to try that next summer.Oh man, this could be a whole nother thread...Build-a-bag...build-a-boat!

JHG008
02-14-2013, 11:19
I'm not sure on the weight but they are probably a bit heavier than a compactor bag but not by much at all. I have my gear organized with sea to summit dry sacks. I loaded my bag and unloaded my bag several times and it worked well. The ziplock has some rigidity to it so it holds the shape of the bag and doesn't collapse.

rocketsocks
02-14-2013, 11:33
I have read about using a trash compactor bag for a bag liner but I was in target tonight and picked up some XXL Ziploc big bags. They have a double zipper. Anyway it fits perfectly into my osprey exos 46. Figured I'd pass the idea along. Has anyone else done this? I hope it works as well as I think it will.I haven't used a trash compactor bag yet, only regular trash bags. The bags your suggesting offer a rigidity??? not found in the common trash bag, which seems to slip and shift. The Zip locks I'm sure are more rigid ??? the down side I'm thinking would be that they and the dog bag might not conform to the pack, and leave dead space...but always wanting to learn new things.

it should also be noted that the dog food bags have a kind of an Orange peel texture from all the little nibblets and from stacking and handling...could be a week point. How many peeps are reading this thread and wondering....what the hell is wrong with people...I am:)way to much time on my hands.

JHG008
02-14-2013, 12:20
I am going to use the zip lock liner and see how it works out. Nobo march 30th. Ill let you know how it goes.

Happy hiking

Rocket Jones
02-14-2013, 13:42
I use a trash compactor bag at the bottom of my pack for my quilt, pad and sleeping clothes. That gets sealed. Above that is my clothes bag, which is one of the giant ziplocks you use. I like it because you can see what's inside. Finally, my food bag goes on top. Everything is water resistant, but not all in one sack.

rocketsocks
02-14-2013, 15:22
I am going to use the zip lock liner and see how it works out. Nobo march 30th. Ill let you know how it goes.

Happy hikingi'm gonna try that one too, it's a good idea, and if I can get the smell out of the dog food bag, I'll try that as well and report back. Happy hiking all.:)