PDA

View Full Version : Serious advice only Please

starbright
02-14-2013, 01:34
We did our camping trip to test out all the gear and everything worked out great except the TENT's.

Got up with 3"s of water standing in them after a storm and the floor is definitely not waterproof.

What I need at this time is places that I can purchase tents and recieve them in time for our thru-hike.

I need AT tents under a $100.00 each because I need to get 3 of them. Where is a good place to look for tents that meet what I need.

I have been looking at the Eureka Spitfire solo also been looking at the Eureka Solitaire solo don't know if either of these would be good for the AT.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

starbright
02-14-2013, 01:39
Forgot to let everyone know that the clothing worked great stayed warm and dry. It got down to 28* the night of the storm and the only problem that I had was the next day when we hiked with the packs for the first time fully loaded it got up to 42*s and the only thing that was left on was the pants and a sports bra because the clothes was too hot.

The fancy feast cat food can worked great with the food that we are taking and loved how fast everything cooked.

rocketsocks
02-14-2013, 01:49
I have the Solitaire, don't like it..but it's what I have right now. It'll work, can't hardly sit up in it.. more of a glorified large bivy, but again it will work, and it weighs about 2 1/2 lbs. good luck with your hike.

Also, checkout to see that the one your getting is seam sealed, it likely won't be, if not maybe pick up some goo or tape. again good luck to you.

jj2044
02-14-2013, 02:01
Umm, not tryin to be mean here but are you sure you set the tent up right ??? with 3 inches of water either you set it up in a huge puddle, or you didnt set the tent up right... the floor must be working somehow becuase it kept 3 inches of water in,if it was a leaky floor, everything might be wet, but there shouldnt be any standing water, and for 3 inches!!! thats alot of standing water. i think this is a tent pitch problem.

Feral Bill
02-14-2013, 02:05
Sadly, if the weather is bad enough any tent will leak, often from rain blown under the fly. What tents do you have?

starbright
02-14-2013, 03:24
Umm, not tryin to be mean here but are you sure you set the tent up right ??? with 3 inches of water either you set it up in a huge puddle, or you didnt set the tent up right... the floor must be working somehow becuase it kept 3 inches of water in,if it was a leaky floor, everything might be wet, but there shouldnt be any standing water, and for 3 inches!!! thats alot of standing water. i think this is a tent pitch problem.

First off no I didnt set it up wrong. I purchased these tents on ebay and have been through this disscussion before. They sent a tent that I didnt buy and have been working with ebay and paypal to get the people to do something about it. I was hoping to be able to make them work but obvious they won't work. I have done everything to them to waterproof them and that didnt work either also had a tarp over them and still have water standing in them as far as the floor working it didnt the storm and amount of water made mud under the tents and it held the water in them instead of letting it run out.

starbright
02-14-2013, 03:38
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon1.png
http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/m/mkL6OYRDMTrQjzhhLzLw3Mw/96.jpg (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snugpak-92870-Tent-Scorpion-2-Polyurethane-Aluminum-/370685402443?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564e925d4b)http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/m/mp8-ZpAF8zVjXuST_Il4zeQ/96.jpg (http://www.ebay.com/itm/HLY-Z2003-Double-Person-Single-Layer-Family-Outdoor-Hiking-Camping-Folding-Tent-/130829497191?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e760bb367)

the first tent is the one that I was suppost to recieve and the second one is the one that I recieved. See the problem. I tried to waterproof them as best as could be and even had tarps on them. Still had standing water.

So can I please have serious answers to my question about finding 3 tents or hammocks for under $100.00 each that will work for a thru-hike on the AT.

Wise Old Owl
02-14-2013, 03:43
Starbright it was a good question -

And to be honest - in my lifetime, I am 51 I have never bought a tent under $100, and yes picking a bad spot will get any tent like a pond. If it was a bathtub floor is will keep water out and then if its breached - it will keep water in.

Here is what I see from the last post, There isn't any mention of water resistance, rip stop or sun resistance ... these tents are unfortunatly toys. The suns rays in several months will make small holes and the rain will pour in, A lot of Ebay is China made knock offs.

found the fabric that this is made from in China http://www.weiku.com/products/4163819/Polyester_Fabric_190T_PU_2000.html and well it is not tent material.

Good luck in your endeavor.

MuddyWaters
02-14-2013, 04:04
IF you use trekking poles, the Six Moon Designs Skyscape Trekker Scout is hard to beat.
It is $125 new and weighs 34oz. Note that poles need to be adjustable to be set at necessary length.

The eureka solitaire is probably your best bet otherwise.

You could probably get a good 3P tent for the money though. Or a combination of a 1P and a 2P.

It is always worth contacting cottage vendors like SMD, Tarptent, etc and ask them if they have any "seconds" or used returns they want to get rid of at a good price.

Dicks sporting goods carries a 1P tent now under their house brand Koppen called the Lokal 1. 2lb12oz and $90 . I know nothing about it.

moytoy
02-14-2013, 04:09
If the tent was leaking through the ceiling or the walls then yes you have a tent problem but it doesn't sound like that's the issue.
Hikers sleep under tarps with no floors at all and stay mostly dry. I agree with others that you have a problem with the location you pitched the tent. Before you spend more money on tents I suggest you get some help. I'm sure you can find an experienced camper in Arkansas who can go with you. That's about as direct and serious as I get.

Wise Old Owl
02-14-2013, 04:21
http://www.junkrigassociation.org/resources/SiteAlbums/1131445/Chinese%20Junk.jpg

Tundra
02-14-2013, 05:39
I don't have tent recommendations but, I think I can still help. Please forgive me if you already know these tips. I don't have any idea about your experience level. If the tarp is touching or resting on the tent it can help create a leak or more accurately a seep. Secondly, if you use a tarp under the tent or a.k.a. a groundsheet, or ground cloth make sure it is not exposed around the perimeter of the tent. Water will drip down or fall and go directly in between the tent and tarp or groundsheet, thus creating a puddle under your tent. Don't allow gear, sleeping bag, etc. to touch tent walls because it will seep through. Most tents come with tie-out points for guy-lines to stake out. These are very important to secure the tent for high winds and to separate tent fly from body or walls to prevent seeping. You will need to adjust the guy-lines before bed, as they will become less taught with excessive rain, wind, and temperature changes.

Finally, there are certain areas to avoid when choosing a place to set up a tent. Such as, in a depression or low lying area, where water could run or puddle and be cooler because of the cold air sinking to the lowest point. Areas close to water tend to be cooler in general. Look for level spots and areas clear of rocks, roots, broken branches and other debris. Always look for the three "W's" wind, water and widows. Widows are widow makers; tree limbs that may break off and cause serious injury or death. Pine trees are notorious for week limbs. Areas exposed to high winds or driving rain are also problematic for tent site selection. A breeze is good to help reduce condensation but, too much wind can lower temperatures and make for a colder night. Be aware of areas that might be dangerous in lightning storms. if your tent is the highest point, it may be worrisome. Always make sure you're not setting up in a tidal area or in a canyon where flash flooding may be a threat. Be aware of avalanche and/or rock fall hazards. Check ground for firmness; soft is ok, boggy is bad and really firm or compacted, overused sites are potentially areas for water to fill up and puddle as opposed to being absorbed. There are many important aspects to consider for tent site selection. Finally, tent sites and camping spots should always be at least 200 feet from water sources to minimize contamination and environmental impact.

I hope this helps and please remember, I'm not attacking your skills set, knowledge or experience. Just sharing some of the tips I've learned over the years. Happy trails.

Rocket Jones
02-14-2013, 07:59
It's a hard lesson to learn, but it also goes to show that often you'll save more money in the long run by buying quality, tested gear even though it costs more up front, than trying to save money and having to buy replacements for the stuff that doesn't work.

Good luck. There's some good tent suggestions above. I hope one of them turns out to be a workable solution for you.

leaftye
02-14-2013, 08:44
Since money seems to be a huge issue, you would do well to figure out exactly how water is getting inside. When you figure that out, you will probably be able to fix the problem for a few dollars.

Looking at your tents, I see that it's a single wall design. I don't think the zipper can be trusted, so that's the first thing I would check in your test. If that's the only problem, you can probably fix it by sewing in a waterproof zipper or having a seamstress do it for you. Zpacks sells waterproof zippers and has good prices on shipping.
http://zpacks.com/materials.shtml

An alternative to a new tent is to use a tarp over your tents. There's the <$10 tarp at Walmart. The only problem with it is it has grommets. You could also get poncho tarps. I've done this before, and it works pretty well, although I use micro carabiner on the tie out points so I could more quickly disconnect the poncho from the guylines so I could wear it...a good thing in the rain! There are many tarp options, including window film, X mil plastic sheeting and so much more.

IF you use trekking poles, the Six Moon Designs Skyscape Trekker Scout is hard to beat.
It is $125 new and weighs 34oz. Note that poles need to be adjustable to be set at necessary length.

That's what I was going to recommend. Maybe you can get a bulk discount. It can't hurt to call to ask. If nothing else, maybe shipping can be reduced because it's a combined shipment.

If the tent was leaking through the ceiling or the walls then yes you have a tent problem but it doesn't sound like that's the issue.

I've seen this a couple times. It's so humid during a storm that condensation will run on the inside surface of the fly. If it touches the netting, then the water gets wicked into the inside of the tent and results in a very wet interior. I know these tents work because I was with the group before and after this happened, and they stayed dry the other times.

Finally, there are certain areas to avoid when choosing a place to set up a tent. Such as, in a depression or low lying area, where water could run or puddle and be cooler because of the cold air sinking to the lowest point.

That's the most important thing for some of us. A couple inches makes the difference between being dry or sleeping in a pond.

G-FOURce
02-14-2013, 08:55
sent you a PM

leaftye
02-14-2013, 08:59
Another option is a three person tent. I'm not crazy about this option for a few reasons, but you can get a nice tent for under $300. The first example I can think of is the TarpTent Rainshadow 2. It's also very light when the weight is distributed among 3 hikers, and even undivided is still better than some solo hikers carry.

http://www.tarptent.com/rainshadow2.html

T.S.Kobzol
02-14-2013, 09:01
The only way to prevent water from getting into a tent when camping in a pool of water is to switch to a hammock.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Karma13
02-14-2013, 09:10
I have a question.

You had three tents. All three of them had 3 inches of water inside?

vamelungeon
02-14-2013, 09:19
I have a Eureka Spitfire that I like and it works for me. Others will tell you it is junk. Mine works fine, I've had zero problems with it. I seam sealed it when I got it, and practiced setting it up a couple of times before I hiked with it, as I do with any equipment.

leaftye
02-14-2013, 09:40
Because time is of the essence, be wary of who you buy from.

Your best bet is to buy from a vendor that caters to the long distance hiking community. That vendor knows he needs to do well because a bad review from someone like you can put a big dent in their business. So contact the vendor before you pay and find out what to expect.

The ebay seller of your tents claims to be in New Jersey, and that may be true, I strongly believe all the items that seller sells is coming directly from China. I've seen many of those items on Chinese vendor websites, and could probably locate every last one of them on sites like kaidomain, alibaba, and dealextreme if I tried. In fact, here's your exact tent, although you get a better price than dealextreme is offering right now. http://dx.com/p/portable-two-person-camping-tent-w-carrying-bag-blue-158870

The problem with getting items from China is that a GREAT chinese vendor will still take 1 one week to deliver an item if the stars align. That same vendor might take up to three weeks when the stars are not aligned. No chinese vendor should take more than 45 days because within 45 you should complain to Paypal and get your money back even if the item is already in the mail. The other problem is that it's still the Chinese New Year, so you won't get an item shipped out for another week, and if they use China Post instead of Hong Kong Post, you probably won't get your item for 2 months or more because they use first-in, last-out logistics when they experience heavy loads like they would after this holiday is over.

Even if you buy on Amazon, make sure you're actually buying from Amazon instead of another vendor that uses Amazon as a store-front. That vendor has a generous delivery window.

Karma13
02-14-2013, 09:51
Just for yucks, I took a look at REI's outlet site (http://www.rei.com/outlet/search?cat=22000022&jxSleeping+capacity=1-person&hist=cat%2C22000022%3ATents^jxSleeping+capacity%2C 1-personv). I can't vouch for the tents, but maybe you can make something here work. They've got something called an ALPS Mountaineering one-person tent for $104 or so (older model). I don't know anything about ALPS Mountaineering, but I do tend to trust REI.

Karma13
02-14-2013, 10:09
Also, Backcountrygear has some tents you might be able to work with. Not necessarily one-person, and not necessarily light, but if budget is the primary consideration, perhaps there's something there that you can use in some configuration of sharing.

Mountainsmith 4-person tent for $139 (http://www.backcountrygear.com/clearance/mountainsmith-genesse-4-person-fall-2012.htmlv)

And Sierra Trading Post has a Marmot 4-person tent for $199. If two people were willing to share (or you could alternate sharing), that's $100 for two people.

Marmot Kronos tent for $199 (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-kronos-tent-4-person-3-season~p~1461r/?filterString=sports-and-outdoors~d~4868%2Fclearance~1%2F&colorFamily=70)

tds1195
02-14-2013, 10:17
Just for yucks, I took a look at REI's outlet site (http://www.rei.com/outlet/search?cat=22000022&jxSleeping+capacity=1-person&hist=cat%2C22000022%3ATents^jxSleeping+capacity%2C 1-personv). I can't vouch for the tents, but maybe you can make something here work. They've got something called an ALPS Mountaineering one-person tent for $104 or so (older model). I don't know anything about ALPS Mountaineering, but I do tend to trust REI.

I think the outlet is probably your best choice.

Mags
02-14-2013, 10:25
Alps makes "bread and butter" gear. Nothing fancy, but solid gear that gets the job done for a decent price. The REI house brand and Kelty tents fall into this category, too

As others said, though, a good tent is only part of the equation. Tent placement is huge.

leaftye
02-14-2013, 10:32
REI can ship slowly unless you pay for their expedited services.

leaftye
02-14-2013, 10:34
Let me revise that statement. REI may ship slowly, but it should be within the estimated delivery window they have listed as you checkout.

tds1195
02-14-2013, 10:42
Let me revise that statement. REI may ship slowly, but it should be within the estimated delivery window they have listed as you checkout.

It usually takes about a week or so for me to get my gear from REI outlet. I has taken up to 1.5 weeks, though.

leaftye
02-14-2013, 10:46
It usually takes about a week or so for me to get my gear from REI outlet. I has taken up to 1.5 weeks, though.

I think my last REI deliveries took closer to two weeks. So now we have two points of data for REI.

Karma13
02-14-2013, 10:49
Found another one. Cabela's has a one-person tent on sale for $105 (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Tents-Shelters/Backpacking-Expedition-Tents|/pc/104795280/c/104779080/sc/104303880/Cabelas-XPG-Ultralight-Tent-1-Person/714764.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcampi ng-tents-shelters-backpacking-expedition-tents%2F_%2FN-1100670%2B4294770768%2FNe-4294770768%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104303880).

Again, can't vouch for the tent. Cabela's gear in general tends to be sturdy, but relatively heavy.

rocketsocks
02-14-2013, 10:55
A tarp tent is still for sale on TJ

http://www.trailforums.com/detail.cfm?PostNum=62185

grayfox
02-14-2013, 10:58
The Spitfire is my favorite tent--under 3lbs, room to move inside, good venting, trim pack size, moderate cost.

It really is a trade off in function versus application. Even the most expensive tricked out equipment may not be right for the needs of the moment. If you have to work with the least expensive equipment you can find, as I did when I started camping, then you will find that as your experience grows you will be better able to make marginal equipment work for you. Unfortunately, usually, the least experienced campers often have the worst equipment to use. If it was easy we wouldn't be able to find a campsite because everyone would be out there! Heed the good advice above as to site selection. It will get easier.

The Old Chief
02-14-2013, 11:00
Try my friend down at Antigravitygear.com. He has a 6 moons tent for $125.00 and includes stakes and ground cloth and free shipping. He's great to deal with.

http://www.antigravitygear.com/six-moon-designs-skyscape-scout-solo-tent.html

Austin_Knott
02-14-2013, 11:18
REI is over-priced a lot of times imo. Craigslist is a good resource. If you're interested in hammocks for under $100, ENOs have a line of hammocks that are about $70, and nylon rope and clips are only about $20.. Don't get slap straps.

Honestly though after the A-frame for the hammock and an under-quilt, you're better off looking for a nice 1-2 person tent.

I have heard great things about The Spitfire, but as said earlier, Craigslist is your best bet for the deals.

fredmugs
02-14-2013, 13:36
Under $100 and under 3 lbs.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3998062&cp=4406646.4413993.4414966.12669395

Like everyone else I can't comment on the quality of this tent. If you're thru hiking a tent is not something I would be scrimping on.

Slo-go'en
02-14-2013, 13:40
Try my friend down at Antigravitygear.com. He has a 6 moons tent for $125.00 and includes stakes and ground cloth and free shipping. He's great to deal with.

http://www.antigravitygear.com/six-moon-designs-skyscape-scout-solo-tent.html

I second (or third) this suggestion. For $125, you'd have a hard time beating the quality and weight of this tent. It's shipped priority mail so you'd have it in 2-3 days from the time of order.

I just bought the lighter, Trekker version and it looks good. You really don't want to skimp too much on a tent, after all, it could be your home for up to 6 months.

The $20 ebay tent is a joke. With $40 worth of water proofing spray, a tarp to cover it and a ground cloth it might work - for a week or so before the whole thing fell apart.

bfayer
02-14-2013, 13:46

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3998062&cp=4406646.4413993.4414966.12669395

Like everyone else I can't comment on the quality of this tent. If you're thru hiking a tent is not something I would be scrimping on.

For some people its just not a choice, you have to go with what you can afford.

I would also go with the eureka over other brands at this price point.

I have had several eureka tents and they are the Chevy of the tent world. Not the coolest or lightest, but they get the job done.

Slo-go'en
02-14-2013, 13:55

Getting in and out of that thing in the rain could be interesting. Also no elbow room to change clothes in it. You'd have to be a contorsionist or yoga master. Thats the one drawback to a bivy style tent. I had one which was like a coccon and had to slide into it, feet first. But it is a contender in the right price range.

Hot Flash
02-14-2013, 14:45
Starbright, I have an older REI brand tent that I no longer use because it's more than I want to carry solo. It's in good condition complete with fiberglass(?) poles, rain fly, and footprint, no tears and all the zippers work. It is two person, can be used with or without the rainfly, and has the specific groundcloth/footprint made for the tent. I would be willing to give you this tent at no cost, but it would need to be seam-sealed and waterproofed before you use it since I haven't used it for at least five years. It's a wedge-like shape, I don't recall the model (and I'm at work right now so I can't check) but if you're interested I can dig it out of my gear tonight, open it up and check to make sure it's in the condition I remember leaving it.

Caveat: it is not light, probably around 5 pounds for the whole thing, but if you are putting two people in it they can split the weight.

bfayer
02-14-2013, 14:49
Gold star for Hot Flash!

Hot Flash
02-14-2013, 14:50
Starbright, I just tracked down the model. It's this one except in blue:

http://www.outdoorreview.com/cat/product-archives/outdoor-equipment/backpacking-camping-hiking/tents/rei/nitelite/prd_76660_2955crx.aspx

It would need seam sealing though!

starbright
02-14-2013, 14:53
Ok let me clear up a few things first. I set them up on a fairly flat surface with an incline because some say that perfectly flat spots are hard to find sometimes on the AT. The tents leaked on the back wall and front you could sit there and watch the water pour straight through the material. The floor is apparently made of the same material and is not waterproof. The only reason that I could see for the standing water was the mud that it created under it. The water was deep enough that our frame packs had to be emptied and dried.

As far as my abilities in setting up tents I have done this all my life even my parents tents and still do when they want to go camping. I'm 42 not 2

Thanks for the info on tarp tents and REIs I will check with some of the places mentioned and see what they have.

Mags
02-14-2013, 15:00
Age has nothing to do with tent set up. :)

I am 38 and I sometimes have to re-do my climbing knots as I am still fairly new to climbing.

There are 12 yr old boyscouts who would laugh their butts off at my ineptitude when it comes to knots. :D

Feral Bill
02-14-2013, 15:10
If cost and time are an issue, A nice 8x10 tarp makes a fine shelter for one, an adequate shelter for two, With three of you, you could assemble a monster shelter from three of them. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___22217
Add a groundsheet, some line, and bug net ( http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___83156) each and you are all set.

FarmerChef
02-14-2013, 15:26
+1 to Feral Bill but only if you're comfortable with that approach. There is a learning curve to selecting appropriate pitches based on the weather but never in my two years of tarping have we gotten more than a small amount of spray around the perimeter of the tarp (10x12 for 5 people and 1 dog). For almost the first year, our tarps were a 10x12 Home Depot two-color tarp (medium duty) and an 8x10 of the same for a ground cover. Total weight was miniscule when divided 5 ways but I upgraded to a sil-nylon tarp that weighs only 20 ounces and a Tyvek ground sheet that weighs 13 ounces. That's about 7 ounces per person when you add in tie-outs and stakes (sod pins). We use our hiking poles for support.

If you're willing to consider this idea as an alternative to the great tent suggestions you've already received, then check out many of the same cottage vendors for tarp designs or if cost and time are a factor, stop by Home Depot. I highly recommend Sgt. Rock's website to learn some very useful pitches. The flying diamond is, by far, our favorite.

rocketsocks
02-14-2013, 15:38
Ok let me clear up a few things first. I set them up on a fairly flat surface with an incline because some say that perfectly flat spots are hard to find sometimes on the AT. The tents leaked on the back wall and front you could sit there and watch the water pour straight through the material. The floor is apparently made of the same material and is not waterproof. The only reason that I could see for the standing water was the mud that it created under it. The water was deep enough that our frame packs had to be emptied and dried.

As far as my abilities in setting up tents I have done this all my life even my parents tents and still do when they want to go camping. I'm 42 not 2

Thanks for the info on tarp tents and REIs I will check with some of the places mentioned and see what they have.starlight star bright, first star I see tonight, I wish o may I wish o might, I wish you find three tents tonight...really!

T.S.Kobzol
02-14-2013, 15:49
The OP had water on the ground / congregating on the ground. Anything but solid tub floor will not solve that issue. Really it seems it was just an unfortunate choice of location to pitch a tent.

RockDoc
02-14-2013, 15:56
Just bite the bullet and buy a decent USA-made tent. Don't mess around with cheap junk.
Six Moons Designs should be your first stop.

bfayer
02-14-2013, 16:01
... Really it seems it was just an unfortunate choice of location to pitch a tent.

Maybe true, but it happens to all of us. Ever been forced to use a tent pad with a 4x4 border in a tropical downpour?

Sometimes it's not the operator, sometimes it really is an issue out of our control, and sometimes is really is crappy gear.

Actually, if I was the OP I would have considered it a blessing to have my tent flood like that. Now you know what works and what doesn't while you still have time to fix it.

leaftye
02-14-2013, 16:03
Just bite the bullet and buy a decent USA-made tent. Don't mess around with cheap junk.
And SMD is your recommendation for a first stop? http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/biglaugh.gif I guess you haven't heard that they're having at least some of their tents made overseas, in China if I remember correctly. The Trekker Scout is definitely one of those.

The least expensive individual tent I know of that is made in the USA is the TarpTent Contrail. That's not the best buy though. The TarpTent Rainshadow 2 I mentioned earlier would be better because it fits 3 people and costs $279, or $93 per person.

jj2044
02-14-2013, 21:03

Well you were dumb enough to buy $20 tents on ebay and think they would hold up on an AT thru hike.

T.S.Kobzol
02-14-2013, 21:04
of course it happens to all of us. I wasn't criticizing the OP. Just saying that 99% of tents t hat are made today would not have helped in the situation that the OP was in.

Sometimes you find the only flat ground for barely your tent and you have to take it. Later if you get caught in a downpour and water congregates then you are just SOL and hope for the best.

Happened to me once on LT last summer. :-)

Maybe true, but it happens to all of us. Ever been forced to use a tent pad with a 4x4 border in a tropical downpour?

Sometimes it's not the operator, sometimes it really is an issue out of our control, and sometimes is really is crappy gear.

Actually, if I was the OP I would have considered it a blessing to have my tent flood like that. Now you know what works and what doesn't while you still have time to fix it.

Del Q
02-14-2013, 21:26
How about this idea, offer $100 and cover shipping to WB followers that have tents they are willing to sell..............I bet that by midnight you will own some new gear.

bfayer
02-14-2013, 21:35
Well you were dumb enough to buy $20 tents on ebay and think they would hold up on an AT thru hike.

Uncalled for response.

Datto
02-14-2013, 22:06
Also, Backcountrygear has some tents you might be able to work

Just wanted to mention the people at Backcountrygear.com have been terrific to work with on my long-distance hikes.

Datto

HikerMom58
02-14-2013, 22:15

I doubt you would have ever said that to her face... just sayin.

hikingshoes
02-14-2013, 22:23

How about helping the lady and not make fun!! Just say!! HS

leaftye
02-14-2013, 22:26

Apparently you missed the part where she got scammed.

Go back and read this post.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?92413-Serious-advice-only-Please&p=1416972&viewfull=1#post1416972

david_1
02-14-2013, 22:31
Apparently you missed the part where she got scammed.

Go back and read this post.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?92413-Serious-advice-only-Please&p=1416972&viewfull=1#post1416972

but ebay paypal would sort this, unless you took the tents out camping in mud and then decided you did not like them

leaftye
02-14-2013, 22:38
but ebay paypal would sort this, unless you took the tents out camping in mud and then decided you did not like them

Paypal doesn't always care. In some cases Paypal will want the item returned, but it's possible to get refunded without doing that. This is why some ebay/Paypal scammers will send you a trinket or a coin. They know you'll have to wait longer and jump through more hoops to get a refund, which causes more victims to give up than if nothing was sent.

david_1
02-15-2013, 00:01
Paypal doesn't always care. In some cases Paypal will want the item returned, but it's possible to get refunded without doing that. This is why some ebay/Paypal scammers will send you a trinket or a coin. They know you'll have to wait longer and jump through more hoops to get a refund, which causes more victims to give up than if nothing was sent.

must be different over here if the item is not as described you get a refund simples

starbright
02-15-2013, 00:33
You don't anything except being put on hold for months on end because the seller that you bought from can't be found I have been told that I am not the only one that this happened to. And no I didn't purchase a 20 dollar tent I purchased a 150.00 each tent plus 30 on shipping and got the 20 dollar tent. Ebay and paypal keep telling me they have been working on it but still no results. So I tried to make the best of it and make them work. But obviously they are not going to work.

So I am out all total with shipping $480.00 + the money trying to waterproof these.

Thanks everyone for all the good advice.

jj2044
02-15-2013, 00:55
I doubt you would have ever said that to her face... just sayin.

Uncalled for response.

Yall are right, Starbright i apologize, i shouldnt of said that... i hope you are able to get everything worked out and find some new tents.

q-tip
02-15-2013, 10:06
Atsko helped much, I have a Tarp Tent & tarp...

HikerMom58
02-15-2013, 10:27
Yall are right, Starbright i apologize, i shouldnt of said that... i hope you are able to get everything worked out and find some new tents.

+1... It shows ur good character to write what you did, jj2044. Kudos to you!!! :>)

T.S.Kobzol
02-15-2013, 10:52
Ok. I'll add my third contribution here. :-)

So you got water in your tent because it rained a lot and the tent was pitched in a place where water might congregate. It must have been a disappointing experience but it might not be entirely the fault of the tent. If the tent did not leak from above during a downpour then it's doing pretty well. If you have nylon in standing water then sooner or later it will soak through. The only thing you can do to sleep somewhat dry is to have a high enough mattress. :-)

When people are suggesting to you to purchase a tarp or an ultralight tarp tent please understand that those have floors that are also very lightweight, nonexistent or porous. Those floors would definitely leak water through during your last experience.

Tents that have substantial 'tub floor' that would help in the situation you were in will most likely be on the heavier side and therefore (maybe) not entirely desirable for you to carry.

There will be countless situations where you might just have to pitch your tent in a location that is succeptible to water in torrential downpours. In the mountains, there are a lot of sloping locations with occassional flat spot. Durring a downpour water will run down the hill and congregate in flat spots. There is no win in this situation and therefore no need to replace a tent with another tent that will provide same experience.

You don't anything except being put on hold for months on end because the seller that you bought from can't be found I have been told that I am not the only one that this happened to. And no I didn't purchase a 20 dollar tent I purchased a 150.00 each tent plus 30 on shipping and got the 20 dollar tent. Ebay and paypal keep telling me they have been working on it but still no results. So I tried to make the best of it and make them work. But obviously they are not going to work.

So I am out all total with shipping $480.00 + the money trying to waterproof these.

Thanks everyone for all the good advice.

virginia jen
02-15-2013, 13:45
I have a Kelty Zenith 2 person that i was planning on selling on craigslist. It's 2 yrs old, but only seen a few nights use (brother gave me his better tent & I've just bought a 1 person). If interested send me a message.
Best of luck on your hike:)

starbright
02-15-2013, 16:53
jj2044.

Thank you for the apology.

WalksInDark
02-15-2013, 20:18
Starbright, I feel your pain.

A couple of suggestions: while the REI outlet store sometimes has great deals, another place to try is REI's attic sale (this goes by different names, so you will have to check with your local REI to find out what it is called there). At the attic sale any of the stuff which has been returned in the last 3 to 6 months is sold at a pretty substantial discount.

Outfitters/Outdoor expedition companies/University Student Unions: Many of these folks sell their gear after one season and I generally only end up paying 20% of new cost. The downside is that you have to be willing to put the gear up and test it yourself.

Good luck!

mother goose
02-15-2013, 21:33
On my first thru hike I had a Gossamer, which is now the Solitaire and I HATED it, not only did I not stay dry, but I
had to slide in it feet first, very hard to get into and out of and when in it it was like a little box, you could not sit up so if you are stuck in it for any time ugh..I looked at the Spitfire on Campmor and it look a little more comfortable. I have had several Eureka tents and if seam sealed very well they did a good job. One that I had was a Zues, that was several years ago but it did well, the Zues 2 is much more money now then it use to be. finding a tent that is light weight for that amount of mone will be a problem, I always say very every ounce you save you spend $100 LOL

mother goose
02-15-2013, 21:39
Also another trick you might try, I have used this on old tent flies and it works very very well. Mix GE Silicone clear(the stuff you seal tubs or thing with) with Odor free Mineral spirits. Enough to soak your tent floor in. and your fly at the same time, this is what silicone impregnated nylon is. Good Luck, it would b e cheaper to try this before buying new tents.

Alligator
02-15-2013, 22:52
Is it necessary to have three tents? A pyramid tent would be suitable for three, for instance Black Diamond Megalite. These are running about $215. That's what I use for a light family tent.

Wise Old Owl
02-15-2013, 23:19
Starbright, a huge apology... I missed or got the switch wrong on the fact that you ordered a tent and they sent you something else...

starbright
02-16-2013, 02:20
Wise Old Owl

Thank you

leaftye
02-16-2013, 06:23
Is it necessary to have three tents? A pyramid tent would be suitable for three, for instance Black Diamond Megalite. These are running about $215. That's what I use for a light family tent.

I think they're going to want a bathtub floor or a full inner net tent. Even Bearpaw can't do it under $300. Certainly not Golite. Their sale prices say they can, but they're out of stock and would probably raise prices with new stock anyway.

A modified tarptent from Bearpaw or Appytrails with a TT Contrail floor/net should work, and might fit the price limit too. The Appytrails tent would need to be further modified with webbing to replace the grommets, and I think a stronger pole would be a very good idea unless it's planned to hang the peak from trees. Also, the Appytrails tent would be a tight fit for 3 unless it was used without a pole.

q-tip
02-16-2013, 09:51
Just thinkin '..did you use a ground sheet. If the ground sheet was oursedethe diameter of the tent, the water that came off the outside will pool under the tent an eventually come through the bottom.. I hiked with some newbies in PA-the groundsheet was two feet outside the diameter of the tent and they got soaked...jusst a thought.

CherrypieScout
02-16-2013, 15:04
REI small one person tent. Best I have found for the weight and price. As long as you aren't over 5'10 or so.

Sarcasm the elf
02-16-2013, 17:51
Starbright, given your $300 limit I really do think that your best option would be to purchase one three person tent (assuming that works for your hiking situation).

If you do decide to purchase a 3 person tent, check out Eureka, they make some of the best tents for the money, and as longs you get a model that has aluminum poles, they are practically bombproof.

The link below if for the company website, but you can usually find them cheaper at campmor, Dicks sporting goods, or similar stores/websites

http://store.eurekatent.com/backpacking-tents-sleeps-3?&n=0&va=t

Eureka doesn't always get a lot of love on Whiteblaze because so many folks focus on one person tents, but my 5lb 10oz two person Eureka tent weights less than 3lbs per person. It has seen over 40 nights on the trail and looks brand new. If you got a ~7lb three person tent from them, you'd have a quality tent from a reputable company, and one 7lb tent weights less than three 2.5lb solo tents.

[Edit: Just make sure that you look at the tents that are listed as being made for "Backpacking" and that have aluminum poles and a decent vestibule. Some of Eureka's most basic models really are just for car camping and wouldn't be appropriate for the trail.]

canoe
02-16-2013, 18:27
As some have mentioned ... 3 person. Is there a reason for three tents. Sorry you got screwed with your order. I think you should be able to get your money back. I am pretty sure these sites guarantee. You say the sites are working on it. I would ask for them to refund my money. I know it can be slow but stay on em.

starbright
02-16-2013, 20:44
The reason for 3 tents is that my kids are 22 year old son, and 17 year old daughter and they want their own space too.

starbright
02-16-2013, 20:48
My daughter would probably tent with me but I have been told by my son that he is too old to tent with mom. It's not cool.

rocketsocks
02-16-2013, 20:50
My daughter would probably tent with me but I have been told by my son that he is too old to tent with mom. It's not cool.Yep, gotta a couple around here like that myself...LOL

But one little bump in the night, I'd be beating back..get out!

Blissful
02-16-2013, 20:57
We could probably part with our Mountain Hardwear Kiva tent for a really good price. At 4 lbs it will sleep your crew. It does tend to condense on the walls though as it is a single wall tent.

With the kiddos, at this stage, kid beggars can't be choosers. And he has an option at times to shelter dwell.:)

T.S.Kobzol
02-16-2013, 21:06
my sympathies. I have two boys doing the same thing. The younger saved his allowanc and bought single rainbow from tarptent

the older one uses whatever I give him.

My daughter would probably tent with me but I have been told by my son that he is too old to tent with mom. It's not cool.

starbright
02-16-2013, 21:25
With the kiddos, at this stage, kid beggars can't be choosers. And he has an option at times to shelter dwell.:)

Considering that we arnt begging anyone for anything little lost on your coment since they are paying their own way.
They each paid their share on the tents that we ordered. It's not our fault that we didnt recieve the one's we were suppost to have gotten and recieved crap instead. So yes I believe that atleast my son should have his own tent.

HeartFire
02-16-2013, 21:28
Starbright it was a good question -

m in China http://www.weiku.com/products/4163819/Polyester_Fabric_190T_PU_2000.html and well it is not tent material.

Good luck in your endeavor.

The last part of the link "PU 2000" means that it has a PU (polyurethane) coating with water resistance up to 2000mm HH. It did not mention if the seams were taped for waterproofing.

That being said, unfortunately, you do get what you pay for, I think it is unreasonable to try to do a thru hike with this tent.
Judy/LightHeart Gear

HeartFire
02-16-2013, 21:40
Six moons are now being made in China

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-16-2013, 23:02
Considering that we arnt begging anyone for anything little lost on your coment since they are paying their own way.
They each paid their share on the tents that we ordered. It's not our fault that we didnt recieve the one's we were suppost to have gotten and recieved crap instead. So yes I believe that atleast my son should have his own tent.

Blissful did not mean that literally....... "Beggars can't be choosers" is a saying that basically means sometimes the circumstances require that you just have to accept things the way they are......... translation: Despite your son's preferences, he might just have to suck it up & share a tent with his mother....or sleep in a shelter...:)

SunnyWalker
02-16-2013, 23:08
You might get some kid of waterproof bivi fron Rei.com for $100 but not much else. Sounds like you need a fundraiser to be done.

SunnyWalker
02-16-2013, 23:13
Well I leaving to start the CDT this April and will use BiVI. When I come to do my thru hike of AT I will use and I recmend them: Hennesee Hammack.

SunnyWalker
02-16-2013, 23:15
But I'm not kidding. With these young people a bivi might just fit the bill. Light, mobiel, waterproof, set it up anywhere, adds to warm of sbag and did I said it would be light, I mean light! If you're running the AT a Bivi and shelters and you got it.

Karma13
02-17-2013, 07:32
Hey, starbright, how's the tent hunt going?

MuddyWaters
02-24-2013, 18:17
Eureka Solitaires for $35.50
factory seconds (blemish but fully functional)

http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=SOLITAIRE+2012+A&pf_id=PAAAIAGJNEPBPKGN&dept_id=3070

hikerhobs
02-24-2013, 18:51
cabela's has a one man tent, cabela's xpg i have both the one man and two man tent. they both have held very well in all kinds of weather. you can pick up the one man tent now online for $104.00. check it out.

Mags
02-24-2013, 21:54

http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=SOLITAIRE+2012+A&pf_id=PAAAIAGJNEPBPKGN&dept_id=3070

Damn..now that's a great price. Cheaper than a Wally World tent but much better quality. Eureka's aren't the lightest tents, but they are a great value for the money. This one even more so.

Reminds me a bit of the old Walrus Swift that I used for many years. Similar design, weight and specs.

terryg49
02-24-2013, 22:31
find a way to afford a good tent. A Hubba Hubba will shelter two of you for about $300. You will never regret it. Big Agnes also makes some nice tents

leaftye
02-24-2013, 22:37

28 inch interior height. I can't imagine dealing with that low ceiling for one night, let alone an entire thru hike.

SpartanATthruhiker05
02-24-2013, 23:10
Hi Starbright,
As a thru-hiker, I have some serious advice that I have not seen posted yet (but I admit I only read first few pages-it's getting kind of long).
First, if you want to do so most (if not all) of the AT can be done hut to hut if you so desire without the need of a tent.
Second, make sure you put your footprint INSIDE the tent. I tell lots of people this and they think I'm crazy - but it works. (You can get the bottom of your tent wet all day, but you will stay dry inside.)
*Better yet use a lightweight emergency blanket as that footprint - folds up into the size of a wallet and weighs like paper - keeps you warm two ways :)
Third, from your pictures of your tents you posted they sent you a horrible car camper tent. Something similar to the first picture would work fine for a single AT hiker though.
I'd suggest your son get his own (solo tent or hammock) since he sounds like he may want some independence-perhaps venture ahead or such.
Have him compare these:
http://www.rei.com/product/827783/rei-quarter-dome-t1-tent
http://www.rei.com/product/827809/rei-passage-1-tent
http://www.rei.com/product/810036/msr-hubba-1p-tent
http://www.rei.com/product/830977/big-agnes-seedhouse-sl1-tent

Then you and your daughter could split a two man to save some money and share weight(also giving you the opportunity to laugh at your son for having to carry extra weight) Something like one of these:
http://www.rei.com/product/810115/rei-passage-2-tent
http://www.rei.com/product/731378/rei-camp-dome-2-tent
http://www.rei.com/product/819973/kelty-salida-2-tent
http://www.rei.com/product/828566/kelty-trail-ridge-3-tent

The lighter the better, consider spending a few extra bucks 150 may get you a WAY better tent than the arbitrary 100 cutoff-especially if you prefer tenting over shelters. Please feel free to ask if you have any other questions for me.

canoe
02-24-2013, 23:25
Hi Starbright,
As a thru-hiker, I have some serious advice that I have not seen posted yet (but I admit I only read first few pages-it's getting kind of long).
First, if you want to do so most (if not all) of the AT can be done hut to hut if you so desire without the need of a tent.
Second, make sure you put your footprint INSIDE the tent. I tell lots of people this and they think I'm crazy - but it works. (You can get the bottom of your tent wet all day, but you will stay dry inside.)
*Better yet use a lightweight emergency blanket as that footprint - folds up into the size of a wallet and weighs like paper - keeps you warm two ways :)
Third, from your pictures of your tents you posted they sent you a horrible car camper tent. Something similar to the first picture would work fine for a single AT hiker though.
I'd suggest your son get his own (solo tent or hammock) since he sounds like he may want some independence-perhaps venture ahead or such.
Have him compare these:
http://www.rei.com/product/827783/rei-quarter-dome-t1-tent
http://www.rei.com/product/827809/rei-passage-1-tent
http://www.rei.com/product/810036/msr-hubba-1p-tent
http://www.rei.com/product/830977/big-agnes-seedhouse-sl1-tent

Then you and your daughter could split a two man to save some money and share weight(also giving you the opportunity to laugh at your son for having to carry extra weight) Something like one of these:
http://www.rei.com/product/810115/rei-passage-2-tent
http://www.rei.com/product/731378/rei-camp-dome-2-tent
http://www.rei.com/product/819973/kelty-salida-2-tent
http://www.rei.com/product/828566/kelty-trail-ridge-3-tent

The lighter the better, consider spending a few extra bucks 150 may get you a WAY better tent than the arbitrary 100 cutoff-especially if you prefer tenting over shelters. Please feel free to ask if you have any other questions for me.

This sounds like a good plan

wcgornto
02-24-2013, 23:46
Alps Mountaineering one person tent. $103 at REI.

http://www.rei.com/product/812807/alps-mountaineering-mystique-10-tent-special-buy

Country Roads
02-26-2013, 16:06
I also recommend the Sixmoon designs skyscape. Pretty light, reasonable price, decent space, American made and you can actually talk to the people that will be making/selling you the tent for their advice on set up, seamsealing and on-trail care. Good luck on your search and your hike.

starbright
03-06-2013, 05:25
Thanks everyone for all the good advice tent problems have been sorted out.

Slo-go'en
03-06-2013, 12:45
Thanks everyone for all the good advice tent problems have been sorted out.

Glad to hear it. Are you still heading out soon or will you delay a bit and hope the weather improves some?

rocketsocks
03-06-2013, 13:42
Thanks everyone for all the good advice tent problems have been sorted out.20200glad to hear it....that was some thread!, Now go get em!