PDA

View Full Version : My First Post

Chair-man
02-14-2013, 13:00
Hi folks,

I've learned so much since I started reading this forum. I'd like to thank everyone for posting their advice

My original plan was to hike Amicalola Falls to Hot springs when I retire in the spring of 2016 but now I decided to hike Amicalola Falls to Neels Gap this October just to get my feet wet.

I've already started gearin' up

I got a GG Crown 60 pack (I love it) I chose it over the Osprey, Gregory and others because the belt was extremely comfortable.

I also got a Copper Spur UL2 tent (love that too) I know it's a little heavy comin' in at a little over 3lbs but I like a roomer tent because I don't plan on sleeping in shelters and I'll be taking some zero days in the woods too.

All the other gear I need I want to go as UL a possible.

Also, I plan on taking a chair. I see a backpacking chair as much of a necessity as it is a luxury. (How else would you tie your shoes:D) The chair I'm looking at is
http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair
Anyone have any experience with this?

I do have experience kayak camping here in FL but almost all of my gear for that just won't work for backpacking.

Chair-man

FarmerChef
02-14-2013, 13:04
Welcome to WhiteBlaze :welcome

I don't have much experience with a specific chair. In general, I just find a nice log or sit at the picnic table at shelters. When a log isn't available (or comfortable) I use my z-rest to sit on. It's clipped to the outside of my pack which makes it easy to grab in a pinch. Hope that helps.

fredmugs
02-14-2013, 13:10
Although a chair will work anywhere the guy I hike with brings a hammock (not a hiking hammock) that he uses during breaks. That could also be used as a chair.

I like to sit on my rear when I'm taking a break and a Z-rest is perfect for that. Plus it's a good sleeping pad.

Karma13
02-14-2013, 13:40
Hi, Chair-man. Welcome!

I don't have any advice on the chair, unfortunately. But I'd be tempted to take one for a shorter trip. It's nice to have a place to sit.

Chair-man
02-14-2013, 14:00
Welcome to WhiteBlaze :welcome

I don't have much experience with a specific chair. In general, I just find a nice log or sit at the picnic table at shelters. When a log isn't available (or comfortable) I use my z-rest to sit on. It's clipped to the outside of my pack which makes it easy to grab in a pinch. Hope that helps.

Somehow sitting on a log just doesn't seem as comfortable a sitting in a chair and propping my feet up against a tree.
Also, sitting on a z rest on the ground seems like a good way to pick up ticks and chiggers. I've been hikin' a bit in the Ocala National Forest recently and there's no shortage of ticks and chiggers out there when it gets warm. I spray my chair with permethirn.
I don't even know if they have chiggers on the AT but for those of you who don't know what they are here's some google images https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=3&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=w4CohJgkINLcGeYDFphISw&cp=9&gs_id=39&xhr=t&q=chigger+bites&biw=1252&bih=567&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42452523,d.eWU&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=oiUdUaOZHo2E9QT974DICA

polechar
02-14-2013, 14:02
I sometimes carry a chair too and enjoy having it. I get tired of sitting on rocks and logs with no back support.
I have this chair http://www.rei.com/product/792007/alite-monarch-butterfly-chair its not for everybody but I like it because you can recline in it and it truly is comfortable. Or you can sit straight up in it and it low enough to the ground you can cook sitting in it. It only has 2 legs so you use your feet to balance it (works surprisingly well). I also can use it just for back support in my tent by leaning it forward and sitting on the tent floor and just lean back on it, works great IMO, and its a half pound lighter than the one you are looking at. I would suggest trying one at a store before buying it to see if it's for you. I got mine at EMS, not sure if you have them down there. Good luck with your hike.

ChinMusic
02-14-2013, 14:11
I'm not going to tell a poster with the screen name Chair-man not to bring a chair but there are plenty of places to sit on the AT. Now, I bring a SlingLite with me on some trips, as can be seem from my avatar. I just don't bring it on the AT.

I would consider something like an ENO hammock for chilling out on a section trip instead.

max patch
02-14-2013, 14:16
An old hiking partner had one of these and loved it. 8 ounces. Personally, I wouldn't subject my thermarest to the potential damage.

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/seating/fast-and-light-seating/compack-chair-kit/product

Everybody carries something that everyone else thinks is stupid. Your 1 3/4 pound chair can be your stupid item. *Most* hikers would mail this home at the first opportunity, however, on my thru I met another thru who still had his in Hot Springs. Never saw him after that so don't no how far that chair made it.

tds1195
02-14-2013, 14:19
I use the GCI Packseat when I bring a chair...I typically only bring this on day hikes, though, when I'm just hiking a few miles to go read by a waterfall or take a nap. http://www.integrityoutdoorbrands.com/camping-stools/packseat-stool.htm

I would use your sleeping pad or an inflatable pad of some sort as a chair. WAY lighter for long trips.

Welcome to WB!

Tundra
02-14-2013, 14:49
I used the mountain hardwear chair pad for years while working with at-risk kids in the wilderness. It's a little heavy but I justified it by it doubling as a great, very comfortable ground pad. Plus, we did a lot of theraputic groups, educational classes, etc and that equaled a lot of sitting. I had a lot of friends and coworkers that loved the thermarest chair thingy. ;) I also used a crazy creek chair for a couple years and it can also double as a ground pad; just not as comfy.

Storm
02-14-2013, 16:23
There are times a chair would really be nice. From Springer to Neel gap you would probably be just fine. I'm betting you would probably ditch it before you Hike to Hot Springs. People are trying to shed grams and you certainly would get tired of almost two unessessary pounds.

rocketsocks
02-14-2013, 17:02
Chair-man, :welcome I too am trying to wiggle some sort of sit back and relax support in the kit, so I hear where your coming from. Congrats on your decision to hike and not sit around when you retire..wait what!

I've got something like this that I'm trying to cannibalize

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___41081

scope
02-14-2013, 17:13
Welcome Man o' Chairs! For about the same money and weight, you can buy yourself a BearVault which can be very multifunctional. Its a great stool!

Prime Time
02-14-2013, 17:23
My "chair" is a 14 inch length of an old thermarest pad. I roll it tight and hold it together with a short length of velcro and attach it to the bottom of my pack. It weighs 2.5 ounces and serves the following purposes: I sit on it when I rest or around camp. it's comfortable and keeps my bottom dry in wet conditions. It also keeps my pack from falling over when I take it off for a short break. I also place it under my feet when I sleep because I use a short pad. I don't really need a pad under my legs this way. In winter, I sometimes place my stove on top of it to cook if I can't find another dry surface.

Blissful
02-14-2013, 22:47
If you really want something to sit on, use a thermarest seat cushion or a z rest one. It was on of my luxury items on my long distance hikes but the weight isn't bad.

aficion
02-15-2013, 00:26
If you really want something to sit on, use a thermarest seat cushion or a z rest one. It was on of my luxury items on my long distance hikes but the weight isn't bad.

Big Agnes makes a two pound version of the rei chair in camo that is rated for 350 lbs. I don't have one yet but want one as my luxury item. Having carried food and gear for 4 kids many times, 2 lbs seems like nothing when the rest of your kit is UL.

Chair-man
02-15-2013, 06:03
Big Agnes makes a two pound version of the rei chair in camo that is rated for 350 lbs. I don't have one yet but want one as my luxury item. Having carried food and gear for 4 kids many times, 2 lbs seems like nothing when the rest of your kit is UL.

Thanks, I found the chair your talking about. It's rated for 320 lbs https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Accessory/HelinoxChair
One more decision to make

mrcoffeect
02-15-2013, 09:39
I use a piece of an old cheap wal-mart closed cell sleeping pad that i carry on the outside of my pack. It has many uses; sit pad, bilows i fan campfires with it, and witten in big letters with sharpie " to town on one side , to trail on the other. it might not be as comfortable as a camp chair, but a camp chair has never scored me a ride.

aficion
02-15-2013, 10:09
Thanks, I found the chair your talking about. It's rated for 320 lbs https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Accessory/HelinoxChair
One more decision to make

Thanks for the correction. I was hoping for a chair that would support both me and my valentine. Haven't met her yet, but it looks like she'll have to come in under 140 lbs!

tds1195
02-15-2013, 10:31
I also second the Z-rest - it's only 2oz and is fairly comfortable. It's not really a "chair" but it can turn whatever you sit on into a chair haha

Just Jack
02-15-2013, 11:56
See if you can get Hog ON Ice to chime in on this thread. He has designed a chair that is perfect for backpackers
and only weighs a few ounces.

WILLIAM HAYES
02-15-2013, 20:55
you really dont need to carry a chair it is just extra weight RE your tent - it is heavy you may want to look into using a hammock or a lighter weight tent

Chair-man
02-18-2013, 00:49
See if you can get Hog ON Ice to chime in on this thread. He has designed a chair that is perfect for backpackers
and only weighs a few ounces.

Thanks, I found this video on the Hog ON Ice chair. Wow, what a contraption. I don't think this is for me. Very end of video is funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXOFR1DjRRw

A/B
02-22-2013, 23:17
I got one of these a few days ago at REI; Thermarest makes a similar seat pad for about $20. Not a chair but keeps your butt off the ground, and can double for extra insulation in your sleeping bag if needed. I DO have the same REI chair and love it, but for packing on my motorcycle trips. 2 pounds is just too much of a luxury for the months of walking. Now for a week long trip or two, I would consider it, as it is very comfortable...

http://www.rei.com/skuimage/746401/220