PDA

View Full Version : One Month Gear Check!

TheGreek
02-14-2013, 16:30
Oh god. One month to go!

Input Welcome.

Pack
*Osprey Atmos 60

Still have a few bits and pieces of Gear to put together, but here is what I have so far:
Cooking/Toiletries/Misc
http://i.imgur.com/1GaNOFQ.jpg (http://imgur.com/1GaNOFQ)
*Sea To Summit 8L Dry Sack - Food Bag
*Jetboil PCS - Cooking Food/Coffee Mug
*Jetboil 1.5L Pot - Secondary Cooking
*Nalgene 32OZ - Drinkage
*Titanium Fork/Spoon - Because you can't eat Oatmeal with your fingers!
*First Aid Kit - Still need to disassemble and strip out useless items.
*Nalgene 96oz Bladder - Extra water storage
*Sawyer Squeeze Filter - Giardia doesn't sound very fun
*Compass - Going the wrong way sucks.
*Pack Towel
*Cathole Trowel
*Aqua Mira - Backup in case Sawyer fails.
*Toilet Paper, Roll, MK I - Dressing up like a Mummy is fun!
*Gerber Crucial Multitool - Playing MacGuyver

Sleeping Stuff
http://i.imgur.com/4eGm126.jpg (http://imgur.com/4eGm126)
*REI InCamp Pad, Long/Wide - NOT sleeping on a ZRest for six months
*Big Agnes Bellyache - Being stored in a S2S Dry Compression Sack
*Big Agnes FlyCreek UL2 + Footprint - I went with a 2 person because I have some friends planning to drop in/out throughout my Hike

Base Layers
http://i.imgur.com/U2fsRCj.jpg (http://imgur.com/U2fsRCj)
*Sea To Summit 20L Dry Sack - Keeps clothes dry
*2x Ex Officio Give n'Go Boxer Briefs - Comfy, and they don't stink (much).
*3 Pairs of Smartwool Midweight Socks - 2 for hiking, one for camp.
*1 Pair Smartwool Midweight Long Underwear - Mostly for sleeping in
*1 Pair North Face Lightweight Long Underwear - For colder hiking days
*Generic Short Sleeve Workout Shirt - Warmer hiking days

Clothes
http://i.imgur.com/cXCotXd.jpg (http://imgur.com/cXCotXd)
*Columbia Omniheat Fleece - Early/Late season. Mostly for in camp.
*North Face Summit Series Wind Shell Thingie - Fairly warm for weight, waterproof.
*REI Synthetic Down Vest (revelcloud) - Can combine with the North Face jacket for extra warmth while hiking.
*Smartwool Midweight Zip T - Hiking in colder days
*Patagonia Rain Jacket - Subbing in for a pair of Driducks
*REI Zip-off Pants - Because hiking in your underwear tends to end poorly.

Electronics/Misc
http://i.imgur.com/EU4i4m1.jpg (http://imgur.com/EU4i4m1)
*Sea to Summit 1L Dry Bag - Keeping things Dry!
*Kindle Paperwhite - For Zero Days
*Camera/Charger - Camera not pictured cause then I couldn't take pictures
*Anker 3200Mah battery pack - Able to charge the phone and kindle simultaneously. Weighs the same as the extra wall charge/cable would, and gives me extra juice for the Phone if needed
*Motorola Atrix 4G - Music/Weather/Backup Camera. Also useful for booking hostels and e-mailing the family if needed.
*Lucky Carabiner - Found on the side of the Ocoee in college (after losing keys in the river). Has brought me good luck since, and been all over the world with me.

Hiker
http://i.imgur.com/74fPnf9.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/74fPnf9)
*Greek, MK I
*Very Excited

Not Pictured or Bought Yet
*Petzl Zipka Headlamp
*Lightweight Long Sleeve Top
*The North Face Hedgehog Tall Boots (3 pairs)
*Driducks (replacing the Patagonia jacket)
*Sock Liners
*Notepad/Pen
*Ziplock for Money/ID/Cards
*Gloves
*Wool Hat

What else did I miss?

on_the_GOEZ
02-14-2013, 16:49
Your list seems VERY complete. Too complete for me, in fact. :)

Regardless, the DriDucks are a good replacement, IMO. I would take EITHER the long sleeve top OR the fleece. Both of those and the synthetic jacket seem to be too much. Even though you probably wont wear the insulated jacket while hiking, one set of sleeves should suffice for movement. If not, throw on your wind jacket. All in all, seems like a lot of clothes..may just be me.

Both camera and camera phone? Maybe just the phone. Seems like a lot of electronic weight..

Finally, I would recommend NOT buying all 3 pairs of boots before you start.. Many choose to go with something lighter, and if you do the same, you dont want to be stuck with two extra pair of boots. It is easy to buy shoes as you hike.

Do you have a ballpark baseweight?

Have fun and happy trails, friend! Good Luck!

Odd Man Out
02-14-2013, 17:09
Technically, you can eat oatmeal with your fingers, but that's OK - a spoon is better than a spork.

If you could afford it, a NeoAir XL would save you over a pound of pack weight - I wouldn't sleep on ZRest either!

You could probably cut back on water. You have a 2 L bladder with your Sawyer Squeeze, right? Another 1 L Evernew bladder for storage (and buckup for the squeeze) and a Gatorade bottle should work.

You got to have a sun hat. OK, I have to have a sun hat. You do what you want.

You could bring a smaller roll of TP and just dress up the shelter rats as mummies.

Lucky Carabiner - Love it. Where can I get one!

FarmerChef
02-14-2013, 17:21
Your list looks really complete. And I agree with Odd Man Out, except that you don't even need fingers to eat oatmeal. You can drink it right out of your cup :D That said, a spoon IS better than a spork. There just aren't that many things you'll want to try and skewer with fork tines that are just too short to skewer with. Then, when you're trying to clean out your cup and do dishes (AT method) you can't get a good scrape down at the bottom of your cup/bowl. And yes, I learned this the hard way...

I agree also with On_the_GOEZ. It seems there are a bit too much clothes. Your base layer items look good although I note you list both lightweight and midweight Smartwool. If you plan to swap these out between the beginning/end and middle of your hike that makes since. Otherwise, it's a bit of overkill to carry the whole way. I also see your Smartwool Zip-T. Good call for the top. But if you have that and a decent bag, you only need the fleece OR the down jacket. You probably won't hike in either the fleece or the jacket unless it's very cold and windy and certainly won't wear both at the same time - you'd look like the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man ;)

Also, you do seem to have a bit of excess water storage. The Nalgene bottle (I assume it's a bottle) is very heavy compared to a wide-mouth Gatorade bottle. I've rarely seen Nalgene's carried by thru-hikers past NC/TN. If there's a problem with your Gatorade bottle, you can get free Gatorade with the purchase of another bottle at the nearest convenience store.

Finally, I didn't see a bandana, sunglasses or sun hat on your list of items. The bandana can be used for way too many things to mention. One of the most important I've used mine for was to prefilter water from a very dirty spring (leaf litter) before clogging up my filter. You could use your shirt I suppose but then you'd have a wet shirt... And the sun will totally get in your eyes in the beginning before the leaves appear on the trees. Also on the balds. Also through the whites and anywhere else it is rocky with few/no trees. Consider a ball cap or sunglasses to help in this regard. A ball cap can also protect your face from sunburn unless you also plan to carry sunblock.

Otherwise, your list looks great. Any idea of what your base weight looks like?

TheGreek
02-14-2013, 18:06
Rain/Wind Jacket - Just did some (extensive) testing. The North Face Jacket is waterproof (was thinking it was resistant). Scratching a rain top, but will still get pants.
Fleece - Going to do a shakedown hike with the Columbia and see if I even need it. Fortunately I have easy access to the AT (30 minute drive) so this isn't a huge deal.

Both camera and camera phone? Maybe just the phone. Seems like a lot of electronic weight..

Finally, I would recommend NOT buying all 3 pairs of boots before you start.. Many choose to go with something lighter, and if you do the same, you dont want to be stuck with two extra pair of boots. It is easy to buy shoes as you hike.

Do you have a ballpark baseweight?

The Camera on the phone kinda sucks. :(
Good point on the boots. I was doing three pairs because my friend is a North Face rep, but his order just got cancelled (think the boots are being discontinued) so I am just grabbing one pair right now. I have the non-boot version and love them.
Weight feels ~20-25lb. I am headed to the gym in a bit to check on their crazy-accurate scale.

Technically, you can eat oatmeal with your fingers, but that's OK - a spoon is better than a spork.

If you could afford it, a NeoAir XL would save you over a pound of pack weight - I wouldn't sleep on ZRest either!

You could probably cut back on water. You have a 2 L bladder with your Sawyer Squeeze, right? Another 1 L Evernew bladder for storage (and buckup for the squeeze) and a Gatorade bottle should work.

You got to have a sun hat. OK, I have to have a sun hat. You do what you want.

You could bring a smaller roll of TP and just dress up the shelter rats as mummies.

Lucky Carabiner - Love it. Where can I get one!

Can you link to the bladder? I was planning on the 96oz Nalgene and the 32oz SAWYER + the Nalgene Bottle.

Sun Hat - I have a normal Baseball-style cap I was planning to use, but may go to a boonie-style hat.

TP - I'm kinda bad about using a fair bit of TP. :(

I checked out the NEOAir. The noise would drive me (and any poor guy in the shelter with me) insane, I think. The Pad is one of those things I am totally fine with a little extra weight on. I'd rather carry a bit of extra weight after a good nights sleep.

Lucky Carabiner - Well, first you have to go Squirt Boating on the Ocoee. Then you have to have your car keys make their way out of your PFD. Lastly, you have to hitch a ride back to Atlanta to get the spare keys/other car, and drive all the way back to the Ocoee before they tow your car. Oh! You also have to have an 8AM class the next day. :(

Phikes
02-14-2013, 18:44
Doesn't look like your really missing anything, but if I may here are some suggestions.

1: I recommend a larger food bag, or maybe two that size. Unless you plan on carrying no more than two days of food that will be too small. Four days almost filled my 20ltr even before my appetite kicked in.
2: Just start with aquamira because you will end up dropping the sawyer. If not plan on going through quite a few bladders. My first one was done before I got out of Baxter and the second limped me into Manchester Ctr Vt. Luckily I was able to bum a friends AM to get me there. Used AM exclusively the rest of the way Springer.
3: Secondary 1.5 ltr pot??? I'm not familiar with the JB PCS but one pot should suffice.
4: Carrying a two man tent because friends might( good chance they won't) join you is not the best idea. Return that for a one man, save a pound and have your friends bring their own tent if they do happen to join you.
Lastly, keep the Patagonia jacket. The driducks will get torn up pretty bad and you'll end up having your Patagonia shipped to you or the driducks will weigh as much due to the duct tape patch work that will surely take place.

What you have will work fine. These are all just suggestions that worked for me and my experiences on my thru.

1azarus
02-14-2013, 18:59
i agree with on the goez... your list is fine to start, and you'll figure out what you really want to carry after a couple of hundred miles. my guess is that you have the essentials and will mostly end up giving stuff up, not adding. no harm there. have a great hike!

TheGreek
02-14-2013, 21:03
Weight came in at 25.4lb with the 32oz Nalgene full. I added the following to toiletries:
-Toothbrush (will cut down)
-Dental Floss

I threw a few odds and ends in there to simulate the weight of the clothing items I am missing.

Doesn't look like your really missing anything, but if I may here are some suggestions.

1: I recommend a larger food bag, or maybe two that size. Unless you plan on carrying no more than two days of food that will be too small. Four days almost filled my 20ltr even before my appetite kicked in.
2: Just start with aquamira because you will end up dropping the sawyer. If not plan on going through quite a few bladders. My first one was done before I got out of Baxter and the second limped me into Manchester Ctr Vt. Luckily I was able to bum a friends AM to get me there. Used AM exclusively the rest of the way Springer.
3: Secondary 1.5 ltr pot??? I'm not familiar with the JB PCS but one pot should suffice.
4: Carrying a two man tent because friends might( good chance they won't) join you is not the best idea. Return that for a one man, save a pound and have your friends bring their own tent if they do happen to join you.
Lastly, keep the Patagonia jacket. The driducks will get torn up pretty bad and you'll end up having your Patagonia shipped to you or the driducks will weigh as much due to the duct tape patch work that will surely take place.

What you have will work fine. These are all just suggestions that worked for me and my experiences on my thru.

1.) I can't remember where I read 8L for food, but it does seem quite small. The 20L bag seems a bit much for my clothes after actually packing so I am thinking I will just swap the two.
2.) I've not used AM before, but I was worried about the wait vs. the Sawyer being instant. I'm gonna try it out a bit more and I'll probably make a decision soon.
3.) The PCS is basically a 1L mug that clips onto the Jetboil. It's fine for boiling water, but not much else. Having both means I can drink my coffee and make my Oatmeal at the same time.
4.) I've done the 1 Man tent before and it drove me nuts being too small. I may end up swapping for a tarptent or just ditching the tent (it is setup to do the poles/fly/groundcloth thing to save weight).

What's the formula for food/mile or food/day? Should I just base it on calories or should I do pounds per day/mile/fathom/whatever?

bubonicplay
02-15-2013, 12:12
The Petzyl zipka is awesome, compact and can be strapped anywhere.

TheGreek
02-15-2013, 12:37
The Petzyl zipka is awesome, compact and can be strapped anywhere.

Yep! I got it for Christmas, and had been using a Tikka before. I love the light design, and the Zipka means I can stick on stuff that isn't my head.

Shakedown hike on the approach trail this Sunday, I think. Bringing some trail magic for any poor sods starting this weekend.

TheGreek
02-15-2013, 12:39
Also, I spent 6 miles on the treadmill yesterday with my full pack on (lots of questions from other denizens of the gym, and even more strange looks). It felt good at 25.4lb. I've been training with a 25lb Camelback for the last month and a half, so the better suspension on the Osprey made it feel much lighter.

It's a bit of a chore to fit everything right now, so I may do some rearranging and more purchasing before I start. We'll see, I guess.

RED-DOG
02-15-2013, 13:00
Bro you can toss half that stuff and still have a complete pack, just saying.

colorado_rob
02-15-2013, 13:04
Agree with most of the points already said, but I don't seen anything about the Nalgene... WHY a nalgene? Extra 4+ oz over a simple gatorade bottle. And I like the way the Sawyer sits on top of the G-ade bottle while squeezing. I'm also using the BA fly Creek 2... the 1-person is not a pound lighter, maybe a half pound. Still worth it except I already own the FC2. My wife WILL be joining me for a few days at a time, so this works well. My FC2 is a mere 2#5oz, nice and roomy for one, my personal luxury item.

Why all the Sea-to-summit Dry bags? I'm using ultralite Granite Gear sacks, not totally waterproof, but everything will be in a trash-compactor bag.

In practice, though they sure sound noisy in the store, the Neo airs aren't really noisy "in the field", with your bag on top of it. they just aren't. Or: my ears are getting old?

thanks for sharing, I'm 7 weeks away myself, gathering/weighing, can't wait!

TheGreek
02-15-2013, 13:05
That's what shakedowns are for. Nothing in there is set in stone except the pack and the carabiner. :)

Luckily I am actually getting off the trail 4 days after I start to go to Trailfest in Dahlonega. That 4 days should give me plenty of time to figure out what works/doesn't, and my family all live in Georgia so there won't be any mailing involved for that.

TheGreek
02-15-2013, 13:10
Agree with most of the points already said, but I don't seen anything about the Nalgene... WHY a nalgene? Extra 4+ oz over a simple gatorade bottle. And I like the way the Sawyer sits on top of the G-ade bottle while squeezing. I'm also using the BA fly Creek 2... the 1-person is not a pound lighter, maybe a half pound. Still worth it except I already own the FC2. My wife WILL be joining me for a few days at a time, so this works well. My FC2 is a mere 2#5oz, nice and roomy for one, my personal luxury item.

Why all the Sea-to-summit Dry bags? I'm using ultralite Granite Gear sacks, not totally waterproof, but everything will be in a trash-compactor bag.

In practice, though they sure sound noisy in the store, the Neo airs aren't really noisy "in the field", with your bag on top of it. they just aren't. Or: my ears are getting old?

thanks for sharing, I'm 7 weeks away myself, gathering/weighing, can't wait!

I'm playing with pack layout right now, and I may be shuffling the drybags purposes. The 8L holds all the clothes that are in the "must stay dry" category, and the 20L seems like a better fit for my food bag. I prefer it over a stuffsack since it weighs only a bit more, is dry, and has a clip for hanging more easily.

I'm doing some testing with the stove (pot vs. the mug thing it comes with). I am probably going to end up ditching the pot depending on how the mug handles some things.

If I ditch the pot, the Nalgene will just carry over as my hot drink/water bottle (I don't think a Gatorade bottle will stand up to that). I was originally taking my MSR pump which uses a nalgene, so I already had these laying around. Playing with AM using the stream in my backyard later today to see if I can deal with the taste.

Rock Lobster
02-16-2013, 13:44
When you get into Virginia and PA through NY, you may want to consider a pump filter. Water is often scarce for long stretches, and sometimes comes from muddy puddles. The Sawyer's not designed for that, or so say reviews I've read. I'll be taking the Sawyer from Maine to Vermont this year to try it out myself. AquaMira - same story.

I've used MSR pumps (Miniworks and Hyperflow) for most of my hikes, and there have been many times when I happily pumped away at questionable sources while others without pumps looked and passed. The alternative, of course, is to carry several liters of water at a time - but I'll take the one pound or half pound pump and camel up, thanks.

TheGreek
02-16-2013, 16:54
When you get into Virginia and PA through NY, you may want to consider a pump filter. Water is often scarce for long stretches, and sometimes comes from muddy puddles. The Sawyer's not designed for that, or so say reviews I've read. I'll be taking the Sawyer from Maine to Vermont this year to try it out myself. AquaMira - same story.

I've used MSR pumps (Miniworks and Hyperflow) for most of my hikes, and there have been many times when I happily pumped away at questionable sources while others without pumps looked and passed. The alternative, of course, is to carry several liters of water at a time - but I'll take the one pound or half pound pump and camel up, thanks.

This was my original plan, as I already have the microworks and I've been happy with it's performance. How'd it do durability-wise? I've not used mine for extended trips.

TheGreek
02-18-2013, 12:49
Ditched
-Jetboil Pot
-Columbia Jacket
-North Face wind/rain jacket (not as waterproof as originally believed.) SIDENOTE: Wearing a jacket in the shower is strange.

Added
-North Face Pumori fleece
-North Face knit beanie

Other changes
-Swapped purpose of drybags. 20L bag is now for food, 8L now holds baselayers, socks, and Down vest).

Sticking with my überpad because I sleep as well on this thing as I do in my bed. I'd rather carry an extra pound of sleeping pad and get a good nights sleep than have back problems end my hike.

handlebar
02-18-2013, 14:30
Your list looks a lot like mine when I started the AT. Here are a few places you can save some weight----believe me you'll want to do that.

Replace orange cathole trowel with a tent stake (the MSR red AL one with holes in it that's +/- 9" long) or better yet with QiWiz's Big Dig titanium potty trowel (check his posting here on WB).

Drinkage: You might want to hang on the Nalgene since you're starting early mid March. You can use it for a hot water bottle in your sleeping bag, though your bag is plenty warm. Once it warms up, consider replacing it with a Gatorade or other bottle. I like Smart Water 1L bottles as they are easier to get in and out of my pack's side pockets. I don't know if you pack has a hydration sleeve, but I find I like to sip water as I go. MSR makes a hydration adapter that will fit a nalgene.

Sleep Gear: After Partnership shelter just N of Mt. Rogers you might want a warm weather bag rated to about 35 degrees until you enter the White Mts. I had a Marmot Pounder rated at 45degrees that I used with a silk liner. I often used the silk a sheet by slipping my pad into it and kept my open pounder to pull over me once it cooled down in the wee hours. The silk liner will also keep your bag cleaner.

Clothing: Clothes are heavy. I had lots of weight savings with spare clothes. I wore the zip bottoms of my zip off shorts only one day, then sent them home. Suggest leaving them behind. Once you're hiking, you'll be generating excess heat and your legs won't get cold. At Hot Springs, I switched to a hiking kilt. Have hiked in it since, except in very cold weather when high temp for the day is expected to be less than freezing.

Give some thought to the fact that you won't likely be hanging around camp a lot. You'll probably be either hiking, doing camp chores (cooking, eating, fetching and purifying water) or sleeping. You don't need camp clothes. If you get cold jump into your sleeping bag. After 8500 miles my hiking clothes (for spring, summer, fall) are smart wool socks, ex-officio boxer briefs, icebreaker 150 wt T shirt (expensive, but oh so comfy and it doesn't stink), and Mountain Hardware Kommando kilt (replaced Sportkilt hiking kilt which has no pockets). If it's really cold, I might add my Marmot dri-clime windshirt (really a jacket). If it's windy and cold or if it's rainy I might cover all that with my rain jacket. If I'm hiking in a heavy rain, I sometimes add my ULA rain kilt (3.2 oz in long). When I stop in camp, my metabolism is usually still firing the furnace for a while, but I'm careful not to chill. I'll add either a Montbell synthetic puffy or a down puffy to be sure I don't chill. If I'm still cold, I get into my sleeping bag. My clothes bag contains the puffy, one spare boxer brief, two spare pairs of socks, a pair of lightweight smartwool long johns, and a light weight ice breaker long sleeve base layer (omitting last two items in summer). The rain jacket, rain kilt, and windshirt are stuffed near the top of the pack for easy access.

Toiletries, etc: Toothpaste, dental floss (can also be used with large-eyed needle for repairs), sunblock (until trees leaf out), hand sanitizer (I carry two small bottles, one in my **** kit, the other in my cooking pot).

I found sock liners bunched up inside my socks and caused blisters rather than prevented them. Jettisoned them after two weeks.

First aid: A couple of band-aids, a few gauze pads, some duct tape, a sheet of moleskin (for blisters), and the smallest tube of neosporin is all you need for injuries. I also carry some immodium (anti-diarheal), lots of ibuprofen, and a couple of benedryl tabs (for allergic reactions). Throw in a pair of earplugs for sleeping in shelters with snorers.

Multi-tool. You won't have time to play McGyvery. I found I only needed a scissors and small knife blade, so now I carry the smallest Swiss Army knife. It weights way less than half of the larger multi-function one I used to carry. It has a 1-1/2" blade sufficient to cut cheese blocks, a small scissors usefull for cutting finger and toe nails, and a nail file along with a toothpick and tweezers, the latter handy if you get a tick.

Didn't see a mini-bic lighter.

Just some thoughts. Have a great hike!

slims
02-19-2013, 00:12
Ditch the Nalgene and use something like a Smart Water or Gatorade bottle instead
Ditch the pack towel and get a bandana
Ditch the trowel
Ditch the Aqua Mira
Get a lighter multitool
Ditch the extra pair of boxer briefs
Ditch the lightweight long underwear
Fleece or Down Vest, don't need both
Ditch the midweight zip T
Ditch the Kindle, put the Kindle app on your phone instead
Ditch the battery pack

PosterNutbag
02-19-2013, 01:10
Don't buy sock liners..use synthetic dress socks, its cheaper and works the same

TheGreek
02-21-2013, 10:39
Ditched
-Nalgene Bottle
-Nalgene Bladder

Added
-Smartwater Bottle (33oz)

Looking at
-Replace Nalgene Bladder with Platypus. 2L or 1L? I don't necessarily trust this Sawyer bag, so it might be easier to just go with a 2L and ditch the Sawyer bag?

TheGreek
02-26-2013, 13:34
Ditched
-Überpad
-Fleece
-Trowel

Added
-REI Revelcloud Down Hoodie
-NeoAir Xlite (Long)

Weight as of last night was 19.6lb. Need to add TP, few small first-aid kit items. Did a 8.5 mile shakedown hike over the weekend and it felt good with an additional 5lb of food in there. Only issue I had was the hip-belt cutting into my hips, but that's an adjustment issue.

msumax1985
02-26-2013, 14:50
I'm hitting Springer March 24, maybe I'll see you out there. Might also get to Dahlonega trail days before I start.

On a test run a few weeks ago I used a 2L Platypus as the sqeeze bag for my Sawyer, worked great. Scared of the Sawyer bags based on other reviews. I also prefer a clear bag. Plan to carry a 1L and 0.5L bottle. I'm only sectioning to Hot Springs and majority advice is that water is abundant in the spring, so never need to carry more than 1.5L at a time.

TheGreek
02-26-2013, 18:15
I'm hitting Springer March 24, maybe I'll see you out there. Might also get to Dahlonega trail days before I start.

On a test run a few weeks ago I used a 2L Platypus as the sqeeze bag for my Sawyer, worked great. Scared of the Sawyer bags based on other reviews. I also prefer a clear bag. Plan to carry a 1L and 0.5L bottle. I'm only sectioning to Hot Springs and majority advice is that water is abundant in the spring, so never need to carry more than 1.5L at a time.

If you are at trail days, I'll be there as well. I went to College in Dahlonega, and the guy that organizes trail days is a friend of mine. Send me a PM and I'll get you my info if you want to link up for a beer.

msumax1985
02-27-2013, 08:49
Not leaving Atl until 5pm, so not time to plan anything--wish I could. Might get to stop by the square area before heading out to the hostel.