PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunately...

todd52
02-15-2013, 02:46
I have come to realize, in spite of my zeal and ambition, that the AP is probably not going to become a reality for me any time soon. I think I made the mistake of not taking into consideration logistics. For example, supply drops, medications, making sure pets are cared for while away, finding doctors to treat me along the trail, having all bills paid and money on hand, dealing with my various health issues, having people on the outside for support, the timeing of the whole thing, studying up on the laws of the 14 states the trail passes through, obtaing reservations, permits and licenses in all 14 states (for fishing) etc.

I don't see any issues as far as accumulating supplies are concerned. I can pack for a day hike, urban survival or an all-out wilderness adventure but there is so much more to this as I am slowly realizing that regardless of how many toys and gadgets I shove into my pack, that is only going to be a very small part of all this.

In the beginning I kind of had in mind the idea of finding a nice secluded spot somewere next to a good fishing hole, pitching a tent and living off of the supplies in my pack until I could build a regular shelter, learn to fish and become self-sufficient, etc. Maybe join a hobo camp or something and just get away from the daily bump and grind of civilization for awhile. I guess I've been watching too much TV because in the real world it looks like in order to do this, you would need to go through all kinds of red tape and...well...it just wouldn't be a good idea and probably wouldn't work anyway.

Anyway, the thought was nice...

starbright
02-15-2013, 03:15
Sorry to hear that maybe you can still do sections from time to time.

Good luck

10-K
02-15-2013, 08:28
Sounds like you're more of a state park person. Nothing wrong with that at all.

T.S.Kobzol
02-15-2013, 08:37
It's clear you are not ready

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Capt Nat
02-15-2013, 09:12
What you want to do is very doable, just is not an AT hike...

Marta
02-15-2013, 09:40
That doesn't sound like an AT hiking plan, but it does sound like what a bunch of people do here in Montana on National Forest land.

WingedMonkey
02-15-2013, 09:52
I've spent months living in the National Forests. Go for the solitude and adventure, and maybe the fishing. Forget about the lean to and move around once in a while to stay under the radar.

tds1195
02-15-2013, 10:34
No problem, man. The AT's not for everyone. Feel free to do a few section hikes here and there to get your fix! ;)

hikingshoes
02-15-2013, 10:41
I enjoy both car camping and Backpacking the AT(any trail for as that goes). I must say I feel bad when im hiking some other trail knowing i could be hiking the AT. Don't beat yourself up about hiking, LORD LIFES TO SHORT!!! Smile Brother its all good!!!!

aficion
02-15-2013, 10:44
I've spent months living in the National Forests. Go for the solitude and adventure, and maybe the fishing. Forget about the lean to and move around once in a while to stay under the radar.

Many do it for the liberty on the cheap in beautiful surroundings. Not without hardship and you do need a small income. Has and can be done. The trail is less lonesome. Some prefer solitude, most, not so much.

HikerMom58
02-15-2013, 11:52

Well, I wouldn't be advising him to live on the AT, as a permanent home, even for a few months. First of all it's not legal. The trails and National Forests aren't meant for that type of "living". Hiking the trail and living on the trail are 2 very different things. I think it's a bad idea & bad advise.

Kingbee
02-15-2013, 12:14
Just hike the AT in sections like I'm doing. Plan a few trips every year if you want. But basically, if you enjoy the outdoors, get out there! The AT and other trails aren't there just to be hiked in one trip. The majority of campers and hikers are probably folks like you, so don't be discouraged if you can't do a thru hike.

WingedMonkey
02-15-2013, 16:15
Well, I wouldn't be advising him to live on the AT, as a permanent home, even for a few months. First of all it's not legal. The trails and National Forests aren't meant for that type of "living". Hiking the trail and living on the trail are 2 very different things. I think it's a bad idea & bad advise.

You don't know what you're talking about.

10-K
02-15-2013, 16:33

You forgot the smiley... :)

rocketsocks
02-15-2013, 16:39
I have come to realize, in spite of my zeal and ambition, that the AP is probably not going to become a reality for me any time soon. I think I made the mistake of not taking into consideration logistics. For example, supply drops, medications, making sure pets are cared for while away, finding doctors to treat me along the trail, having all bills paid and money on hand, dealing with my various health issues, having people on the outside for support, the timeing of the whole thing, studying up on the laws of the 14 states the trail passes through, obtaing reservations, permits and licenses in all 14 states (for fishing) etc.

I don't see any issues as far as accumulating supplies are concerned. I can pack for a day hike, urban survival or an all-out wilderness adventure but there is so much more to this as I am slowly realizing that regardless of how many toys and gadgets I shove into my pack, that is only going to be a very small part of all this.

In the beginning I kind of had in mind the idea of finding a nice secluded spot somewere next to a good fishing hole, pitching a tent and living off of the supplies in my pack until I could build a regular shelter, learn to fish and become self-sufficient, etc. Maybe join a hobo camp or something and just get away from the daily bump and grind of civilization for awhile. I guess I've been watching too much TV because in the real world it looks like in order to do this, you would need to go through all kinds of red tape and...well...it just wouldn't be a good idea and probably wouldn't work anyway.

Anyway, the thought was nice...You lost me at the HOBO camp...Thru-hiking isn't for everyone, I don't want anything to do with it! happy section hiking :)

T.S.Kobzol
02-15-2013, 16:52
I'll second that sentiment and ask for a clarification please :-)

HikerMom58
02-15-2013, 18:33

Deets- we want deets. ;) Explain yourself....if I read you wrong... talk to me.

I can only imagine what you were trying to say....

todd52
02-15-2013, 20:05
Hey, thanks for all the replies. I do like the fact that the AP generally has a number of other people on it (good for safety and companionship) and that it is well-developed with various amenities (shelters, water, paths, signs, towns, etc). I also like the the solitude of being out in the middle of nowhere but then I suppose you have to deal with the wildlife if you get too remote.

One thought that ocurred to me (and I don't know if it's really true or not) is that I assume you would usually end up walking with the same group of people/strangers each day. For example, if the trailhead you start out at has 10 other people, yourself and these 10 other people would probably end up walking fairly close together (depending on pace) each day and end up at the same shelter each night as well as waking up to get started again each morning. Does that sound about right?. The point, I suppose, is that there would at least be other people I could walk with for safety, company, etc during the day.

todd52
02-16-2013, 02:39
I just realized that I should have added a question mark at the end of the second paragraph of my last post. So, does anyone know the answer to this?.

rocketsocks
02-16-2013, 03:06
Hey, thanks for all the replies. I do like the fact that the AP generally has a number of other people on it (good for safety and companionship) and that it is well-developed with various amenities (shelters, water, paths, signs, towns, etc). I also like the the solitude of being out in the middle of nowhere but then I suppose you have to deal with the wildlife if you get too remote.

One thought that ocurred to me (and I don't know if it's really true or not) is that I assume you would usually end up walking with the same group of people/strangers each day. For example, if the trailhead you start out at has 10 other people, yourself and these 10 other people would probably end up walking fairly close together (depending on pace) each day and end up at the same shelter each night as well as waking up to get started again each morning. Does that sound about right?. The point, I suppose, is that there would at least be other people I could walk with for safety, company, etc during the day?

I just realized that I should have added a question mark at the end of the second paragraph of my last post. So, does anyone know the answer to this?.Fixed it for ya. I've never thru-hiked, but that is my understanding as well, you'll likely travel with what's known as the bubble...if you want to, I hear there's plenty of people to walk with.

Coosa
02-16-2013, 21:36
You're in Atlanta ... are you a member of the GATC [they're in the Phone Book].

Forget Fishing on the AT ... there are few and far between places ... there's a Fishing Rodeo in Damascus, VA during Trail Days ... you'll have to check exactly which days ... and you don't HAVE to have a fishing license. See http://www.damascus.org/events.html scroll down a little and click on links.

Get a copy of the Chattahoochee National Forest and look at the FS roads. You can camp anywhere you can get to. PM me and I'll give you coordinates/information of places I know of where you can 'chill' ... some are near trout streams ... I have met people who stayed in campsites for the 'two weeks' per the FS instructions to "until they were told to move" and then moved just down the FS road or to another campsite.

If you decide to camp out in North Georgia, you can come and go and still make it to Doctors and Pharmacies.

ALSO, I have a friend with Kidney failure and other Major Medical problems who hikes the AT [more than one attempted Thru Hike has ended in medical disaster ... one time she broke her leg and had to press her "Satellite Button" and get CARRIED up 400" on a Blue Blaze Trail to the Appalachian Trail and then to a road crossing]. When hiking, she plans monthly trips to Towns to get what I call "Prescriptions with Street Value" thru a Major Chain Pharmacy [don't use the Big Box, use a National Chain with locations in Trail Towns] because she can't get but a 30-day supply at a time.

She and I are going to attempt to finish her last long section of the AT this year. If she can do it, you can do it. Heck, I'm doing two major sections this year with my knees [half the cartilage is worn in my knees] and either finishing the 'middle' next year or attempting a Thru Hike, depending on ... well, I have no 'depending' other than if my Mom needs me. [See first Tag Line]

READ the book found here: http://appalachiantrials.com/ APPALACHIAN TRIALS
A psychological and emotional guide to successfully thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail

BEFORE you say 'nay' ... the book will clarify your decision to Thru Hike [or to decide to Section Hike] ... but it needs to be YOUR decision and something you can live with. Operative word "LIVE" and not just dream.

The book asks you to answer three questions with ALL the answers you can think of: [you can add to your list as you contemplate your answers]
1- I am Thru Hiking the Appalachian Trail because ...
[I've got eleven answers to this one]
2- When I successfully Thru Hike the Appalachian Trail I will ...
[I've got ten answers for this one]
3- If I give up [while Thru Hiking on] the Appalachian Trail I will ...
[I've got nine answers for this one -- I've given up on two section hikes, actually three because one ended before I stepped foot on the Trail when my back gave out.]

You water proof your pages with these answers and take them with you. When things don't look good, you take out your pages and re-read them ... as motivation to keep going.

HIKE YOUR OWN HIKE ....... but you have to hike to find out what YOUR hike really is.

PM me after you get a Chattahoochee National Forest map and I'll give you directions to some great campsites. I lived in Blairsville GA for 13 years.

Coosa