PDA

View Full Version : What are you afraid of

Mulungu
02-15-2013, 05:04
Our concerns for the walk are hypothermia (lots of rain, maybe snow, wind and walking at high altitude -above 4000 feet), bears (that would like to share our snacks), Rattle snakes and of course, Americans (big smile and a large wink):):p
Snow is something we read of in books, see in Christmas cards and now hear we may have to walk through. the same goes for bears and rattlesnakes:)

Walking to raise funds for the Peninsula School Feeding Association
Read more….http://1000atmiles.webs.com/apps/blog/

Chair-man
02-15-2013, 06:08
My biggest fear is ticks and poison ivy

Trebor66
02-15-2013, 07:57
Rattlesnakes and copperheads are probably on the top of my list. Never been concerned about the bears, saw one near Springer a few months ago and loved it.

OzJacko
02-15-2013, 08:15
Ticks, mouse poop in my food bag and never getting used to hiker stink.
Probably in that order.:D

Karma13
02-15-2013, 08:19
Ticks. General physical inadequacy.

HEIGHTS.

But whatcha gonna do? Don't look down and keep on stepping. :D

bigcranky
02-15-2013, 08:54
Bears are not really an issue. You'll probably see a couple of them over the course of your hike -- it's a cool thing when it happens. Mini-bears, a.k.a. mice, are more of a problem when it comes to your food.

There are rattlesnakes in several places on the trail, but again, not really an issue. I've seen one, years ago, sunning itself in the middle of the trail. Copperheads are more dangerous because they don't let you know they are there before they strike, but again, not a big deal overall. Just don't pick up the cute little snakes and try to play with them.

Americans are very dangerous. We're all heavily armed, all the time, and the slightest little thing will set us off. Be afraid. Better yet, avoid any sort of conversation or other interaction with anyone you meet on the trail. :)

Finally, hypothermia is a real concern, especially early in the hike. It doesn't have to be all that cold for it, though -- being exhausted and hungry and dehydrated can lead to hypothermia even in mild temps (50s F). Keep an eye out for the warning signs (the "umbles" -- when you start to grumble, stumble, and mumble), make sure you keep at least one set of dry clothing, and if you have to walk all day in a cold rain, try to at least be warm inside your rain shell -- you'll be wet, trust me. And stuff your pockets with energy bars so you can eat without stopping. Remember that the first thing hypothermia does is to make you stupid -- you start making bad decisions, which of course doesn't help matters at all.

Happy trails!

Old Hiker
02-15-2013, 08:59
Them durn furriners !! "(big smile and a large wink):):p" Reminds me of the joke about the American overseas marveling at all the foreigners.

Mostly, I was afraid of running out of food. (Sorry, Daypack !) I was also afraid of severe (cold) weather. I was pretty confident otherwise. I have no problems with snakes, rodents, bears, etc. Taste like chicken.

I was worried about problems popping up at at home and cutting the trip short. I SHOULD have been more worried about @$##@& mud puddles !!

Mulungu
02-15-2013, 09:04
My biggest fear is ticks and poison ivy
Poision ivy is a song title. What does it look like how will we recognize it can you take a tablet for that
what does it do

Mulungu
02-15-2013, 09:05
Ticks, mouse poop in my food bag and never getting used to hiker stink.
Probably in that order.:D
How much do you know about snow.

Pingus
02-15-2013, 09:07
Meteors...........

Capt Nat
02-15-2013, 09:09
I'm mostly afraid about people talking to me. I take efforts to avoid talking to people every day but it won't be as easy on the trail. Also, problems arising at home could easily occur to force me to leave the trail and return home to deal with.

Mulungu
02-15-2013, 09:09
Americans are very dangerous. We're all heavily armed, all the time, and the slightest little thing will set us off. Be afraid. Better yet, avoid any sort of conversation or other interaction with anyone you meet on the trail.

Sounds like I need to be protected against this dangerous species on the trail
can they be tamed with food or gentle conversation if you stroke them or sing to them are they soothed
is there a spray or cream I can use to protect ourself

OzJacko
02-15-2013, 09:25
How much do you know about snow.
A little bit.
Enough to know a little bit is fine, a lot is a town stay.:D

Gambit
02-15-2013, 09:37
Coming from South Africa Im sure that if you do any hiking over there that what you would experience as far as wildlife goes far surpasses what you will see here. Just remember that whenever you see a bear on the AT that you are almost garunteed to not be the first person it has seen. As far as rattle snakes, learn about them, respect them, and watch for them. I have never seen one and almost am always hiking in rattlesnake areas.

As far as the weather goes, if you have never seen snow what to expect:
Its cold wet and not alot of fun, but that is somewhat of an opinion. If it is snowing I would say pitch your tent instead of staying in the shelter, have a good sleeping pad before a good sleeping bag and it is always better to be over prepared than to not have something you really need/want.

Enjoy your hike and welcome to America!

Gambit
02-15-2013, 09:40
Sounds like I need to be protected against this dangerous species on the trail
can they be tamed with food or gentle conversation if you stroke them or sing to them are they soothed
is there a spray or cream I can use to protect ourself

If you stroke me with a protective cream I might spray.

Karma13
02-15-2013, 09:42
Snow, snow, snow, snow, snow. It can be light and fluffy! It can be wet and heavy and unpleasant! It can be the stick-together kind that makes good snowmen, or the powdery kind that doesn't stick together at all. It can be mixed with icy and slippery on hills, or deep-deep-deep. Nothing like the grip of deep wet snow on your thigh when your leg goes into a hole. Nothing like the shock of snow falling into your boot!

But whatever it is, I'm with Oz--any significant amount of it, and I'll be in town enjoying it from the other side of the window. Preferably with a hot cocoa.

jimmyjam
02-15-2013, 09:43
Poision ivy is a song title. What does it look like how will we recognize it can you take a tablet for that
what does it do

There are two kinds: poison ivy and poison oak. Both have sets of three pointed green leaves. The poison oak looks kind of like a small tree sprouting, the other is a vine that can grow just about anywhere. Either will make you breakout in a rash that developes into oozing iching blisters. People's reaction to it varies. Wash your skin with soap and water if you think you have touched it. Apply benedryl cream to the rash to help with the iching. It will go away in about a week. If you are lucky you'll be one of the few that has no rection to it.

jimmyjam
02-15-2013, 09:44
I meant reaction not rection. Why can't you edit these posts?

Karma13
02-15-2013, 09:45
I meant reaction not rection. Why can't you edit these posts?

Donating members can edit.

jimmyjam
02-15-2013, 09:47
Donating members can edit.

Thanks! I'll look into that.

Mulungu
02-15-2013, 09:53
That's really funny.

aficion
02-15-2013, 09:58
Our concerns for the walk are hypothermia (lots of rain, maybe snow, wind and walking at high altitude -above 4000 feet), bears (that would like to share our snacks), Rattle snakes and of course, Americans (big smile and a large wink):):p
Snow is something we read of in books, see in Christmas cards and now hear we may have to walk through. the same goes for bears and rattlesnakes:)

Walking to raise funds for the Peninsula School Feeding Association
Read more….http://1000atmiles.webs.com/apps/blog/

I fear most the encounters that begin with the words, " Hi, we're from the government and we're here to help."

jimmyjam
02-15-2013, 10:05
I fear most the encounters that begin with the words, " Hi, we're from the government and we're here to help."

Now that's funny. My biggest fear is probably running out of food. I already eat like I've got a tapeworm.

Stink Bug
02-15-2013, 10:13
Ticks.

We have monthly IT Dept meetings at work and I was 'volunteered' to give 2 presentations on my upcoming thru. Afterwards we had a Q&A and, in both meetings, I was asked if I was going to carry a gun. When I told them I wasn't they couldn't fathom why so, so I explained, "I can scare bears off, I'll hear snakes and the only thing I'm scared of is ticks - Lyme Disease - and I can't shoot them!"

Grampie
02-15-2013, 10:14
If you fear the things in the great outdoors it probably best to do your walking in a city park or just stay home and watch TV.

Karma13
02-15-2013, 10:17
If you fear the things in the great outdoors it probably best to do your walking in a city park or just stay home and watch TV.

Now, now. How does somebody get over their fears, except by facing them? :)

hikingshoes
02-15-2013, 10:28
My fear is LIGHTING!!! Ive seen a bear on the trail it looked at me and i looked at him,it turn back down the mnt come back seen me again turn back come back one more time and left and i never seen it again.

Grampie
02-15-2013, 10:43

Don't get me wrong when I commented on the fear of the outdoors that folks may have. You should not fear the outdoors. You may want to have a few concerns with your safty. This would include; snake bites, hiperthermia, lightning, dehydriation, falls, ticks, poison ivy and a few more. The thing is be concerned with these but don't fear them. Know them and how to deal with them. By doing so your fears should change to concerns.

TheGreek
02-15-2013, 11:53
Ticks. Ticks creep me right the heck out.

My knees have me a little worried, but they seem better since I have been stretching and working out regularly.

But mostly Ticks. Ew.

Woodstok
02-15-2013, 12:31
I'll make another vote for ticks...I check my legs almost every time I brush past a bush or tall grass...

BrianLe
02-15-2013, 12:33
I think the biggest risks are from walking along or crossing roads, and slipping and falling (smooth rock in wet weather and/or tree roots on the trail where bark has been stripped off). Moose are possibly an issue, I think more of a "danger" than bears. Getting Lyme disease and not recognizing & treating it in reasonable time, that's a danger. Other than Lyme and slipping & falling, I think most trail risks boil down to being inexperienced or unwise. Or really, really unlucky.

All of these dangers are pretty small in the scheme of things. Especially on such a well-traveled trail, overall not remote at all, and one with little in the way of significant stream/river crossings (Kennebec canoe crossing would be very significant if not for the canoe ...).

Now, South Africa --- full of nothing but dangerous wild animals, "everyone" knows that! :-)

tiptoe
02-15-2013, 13:53
Lightening can be truly terrifying. As for wildlife, hypothermia, malnutrition, Lyme disease, and so on, the best defense is to read up on those subjects and take reasonable precautions. BrianLe puts it well. Be aware but not obsessed, and there's certainly no need to let fear take over 99.9% of the time. As for my fellow Americans, well, you're on your own there. Cross-cultural encounters can be very interesting.

Chuckie V
02-15-2013, 13:58
Meteors...........

Now that was funny!

Camel2012
02-15-2013, 14:36
My own shadow. That's why I'm hiking the AT and not the PCT!

backgammon
02-15-2013, 14:46
Physical fitness is my fear.
Re:snakes. My brother is an ER doctor in east tennessee. He says he treated one accidental snake bite in 20 yrs. He's treated many snake bites of snake handling christians. Perhaps they are what we should fear.

Jalum
02-15-2013, 15:14
Malaise, boredom, and ambivalence.

BirdBrain
02-15-2013, 15:23
I fear the wrath of my wife if I come back dead. She would kill me.

Mulungu
02-15-2013, 15:23
Thanks everyone so now I have to add ticks and lighting to my list and I thought living in Africa is dangerous

Mulungu
02-15-2013, 15:25
I fear the wrath of my wife if I come back dead. She would kill me.

Bring her along
can she cook :)

GoldenBear
02-15-2013, 15:26
Re-injuring my knee.
I still don't know how I tore my ACL; the doc said it could have been either a one-time, severe trauma (I don't recall any such event) or years of mis-using the knee.
The pain, and the necessary surgery that followed, delayed my getting on the trail for weeks.
Fortunately, when I'm on the trail, the knee tends to feel better than when I'm staying at home.
But, since I don't know HOW I injured myself, I'm paranoid about doing it again.
Any little twinge in my knee causes me to wonder, "Am I about to lose the ability to backpack forever?"

BirdBrain
02-15-2013, 15:29
Bring her along
can she cook :)

I would but she is scared of bugs. There is no getting over this fear for her. We camp... but it takes a truck load of equipment to camp with her.

Mountaintop
02-15-2013, 16:54
what does it do
Leaves of three...Let it be. You can take an antihistamine and apply calamine. It causes an itchy rash in most cases.

Mountaintop
02-15-2013, 17:01
Thanks everyone so now I have to add ticks and lighting to my list and I thought living in Africa is dangerous
There isn't anything to be afraid of.

Trebor66
02-15-2013, 17:03
Dakota Joe.....

Mountaintop
02-15-2013, 17:09
Dakota Joe.....

Bwaaaaa! That's hysterical!

Jetpack
02-15-2013, 17:17
Failure is terrifying!!!

snowblind
02-15-2013, 18:14
Knees mostly. And making the occasional mental mistake...

oldwetherman
02-15-2013, 18:46
The thing I fear the most......sting weed!

kayak karl
02-15-2013, 18:54
in the winter it can just be a hairy vine on a blowdown you are climbing over. a friend got Poison Ivy in January in Georgia.

topshelf
02-15-2013, 18:57
the only thing we have to fear is fear itself...

Carry-On
02-15-2013, 19:11
How to scare a bunch of thruhikers....

http://carryonadventures.blogspot.com/2013/02/7-12-12-story-spring-shelter-vt.html

Leanthree
02-15-2013, 19:33
Leaves of three...Let it be. You can take an antihistamine and apply calamine. It causes an itchy rash in most cases.

Google a picture if you have never seen the stuff so you aren't afraid of all plants that have 3 clustered leaves or you will be running in fear your whole trip. It is very easy to avoid if you know what it looks like.

tiptoe
02-15-2013, 19:51
http://www.poison-ivy.org/

probably more than you want to know. It has many guises, so it can be tricky to identify if you haven't grown up with it around.

RockDoc
02-15-2013, 20:24
Falls take more people out than anything else...
we have only our own clumsiness to blame (ok, speaking for myself).

and Americans are all very sad because we lack beautiful wine plantations like the ones at Stellenbosch. Have a lekker hike!

Dogwood
02-15-2013, 20:35
What are you afraid of?I have fearful reverence for God. If I keep that as my priority nothing else is to fear.

Nasty Dog Virus
02-15-2013, 20:45
the only thing a truly fear is a rattlesnake biting my 12yo son when we're far from contact with others.

polechar
02-15-2013, 20:51

I hate this stuff!!!!!!!!! Every time its like OH NO NOT AGAIN! Good thing it only sting for about a 1/2 hour and not longer.

Mulungu
02-17-2013, 07:48
Thanks all now I will have pics of poison ivy, sting weed,rattlesnakes, copperheads and bears on my phone just in case. Then we have snow, just to add some interest for us Africans and lastly we need to learn to filter water or purify the water before drinking. Through in ramen noodles and beef jerky amd the walk is turning into an out of ths world experience. Just gets more exciting by the day
see ya all 19 April

BirdBrain
02-17-2013, 09:00
What are you afraid of?

I have fearful reverence for God. If I keep that as my priority nothing else is to fear.

+1 on that. Psalm 23

Mulungu
02-17-2013, 13:00
We will walk with Ezekiel 34 in our hearts

HikerMom58
02-17-2013, 14:15
+1 on that. Psalm 23

+1... to BB & Dogwood.

We will walk with Ezekiel 34 in our hearts

We are His people. He def. is our God. You and your wife won't be hiking alone will you? Nah... :) Will be thinking and praying for you, both.

Mulungu
02-18-2013, 00:18
+1... to BB & Dogwood.

We are His people. He def. is our God. You and your wife won't be hiking alone will you? Nah... :) Will be thinking and praying for you, both.
yep we never walk alone.

WingedMonkey
02-18-2013, 00:30
I'm afraid of Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy.

vamelungeon
02-18-2013, 00:30
I'm hypoglycemic. I'm afraid of running out of food because of it, and I always carry extra. Having your blood sugar drop below 40 is something you don't want to experience alone in the woods.

rocketsocks
02-18-2013, 00:35
I'm afraid of Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy.Many things go round in the night besides santa clause.

Fear is just a feeling, like I'm hot, I'm cold...i'm a scared...that is all.

rocketsocks
02-18-2013, 00:36
I'm hypoglycemic. I'm afraid of running out of food because of it, and I always carry extra. Having your blood sugar drop below 40 is something you don't want to experience alone in the woods.I think the thing that would give me pause, is if I were to get sick on the trail, and have to crawl out...not fun.

Mountain Mike
02-18-2013, 00:57
I've out-grown it but...19753

BirdBrain
02-18-2013, 01:13
I've out-grown it but...19753

I'm afraid I just added a scary video to the Jukebox.

tiptoe
02-18-2013, 12:06
Santa Clause? What about his subordinate clauses?

Spirit Bear
02-18-2013, 12:14
Your biggest fear will be within yourself, the bordom of doing the same task everyday for 6 months. Walking with a pack on your back over pointless ups and downs with no summit views, only a dense green tunnel of endless trail. If you overcome this fear you will reach katadhin...

Bears were my biggest fear on the trail until I encountered 4 huge adult males all seperate times and a huge female with her cub near unicoi gap heading up to rocky mtn. Since then I am no longer afraid of bears, it is a rush to see one in the wild.

Copperheads and rattlesnakes are a common fear everyone has, but the odds are not likely one will bite you.

Hypothermia is the real fear, you can never pack to much warm gear, you will always think "I should have gone with a lower temp bag" regardless of what temp you purchased. The smokey's are cold, roan mtn is cold from what i hear. Right now it's cold in North Ga with 2 snows already.

RED-DOG
02-18-2013, 12:47
about the only thing that makes me nervous is the shelter mice they can get down right mean, everything else such as Bears, Rattlesnakes,etc will leave you alone if you leave them alone as for Hyperthermia goes it's always an issue no matter what time of year it is.

Mulungu
02-18-2013, 13:26
about the only thing that makes me nervous is the shelter mice they can get down right mean, everything else such as Bears, Rattlesnakes,etc will leave you alone if you leave them alone as for Hyperthermia goes it's always an issue no matter what time of year it is.

This is a serious question
we leave springer 19 April. What sort of temp. Should we expect and will we still get the 30 and 40 degrees on the trail. When can we expect the higher 70 or 80 degree days.
we don't have cold weather gear so some good suggestions will be great. We have one day at hikers hostel to buy any additional warm jackets tops
thanks guys .

Mountain Mike
02-18-2013, 13:32
You can expect both extremes at any time. On my thru I got hit with two snowstorms in the Smokies, yet a day later I was wearing an open sleeve-less shirt on Max Patch.

Carry-On
02-18-2013, 15:13
This is a serious question
we leave springer 19 April. What sort of temp. Should we expect and will we still get the 30 and 40 degrees on the trail. When can we expect the higher 70 or 80 degree days.
we don't have cold weather gear so some good suggestions will be great. We have one day at hikers hostel to buy any additional warm jackets tops
thanks guys .

I left Springer Mtn on April 19th, 2012. Assuming the weather is going to be similar (a big assumption but not entirely unreasonable) you can check out my trail blog. The link is in my signature but I'll post the entry starting on Springer on April 19th and you can gather any information from that you may find useful. Good luck! You'll find your fears will diminish once you are out there. Mine did anyway.

http://carryonadventures.blogspot.com/2013/01/4-19-12-on-appalachian-trail.html

Mulungu
02-18-2013, 15:43
I left Springer Mtn on April 19th, 2012. Assuming the weather is going to be similar (a big assumption but not entirely unreasonable) you can check out my trail blog. The link is in my signature but I'll post the entry starting on Springer on April 19th and you can gather any information from that you may find useful. Good luck! You'll find your fears will diminish once you are out there. Mine did anyway.

http://carryonadventures.blogspot.com/2013/01/4-19-12-on-appalachian-trail.html

Thank you this is very helpfull

GonnaMakeIt
02-19-2013, 15:33
The only thing I am worried about is getting into towns. I wouldn't feel very safe hitching rides. And I am thinking of Franklin NC just as an example.. if i hiked 10-11 miles to get there, had to resupply, and then hike-10-11 back to the trail, and then hike another few miles to get away from the trailhead.. I don't think I could do that all in one day. I will figure it out as I go, but towns are the only thing that worry me.

Grampie
02-19-2013, 15:50
Well Gonnamakeit I thinkyou will soon learn that having to hitch hike to get to some towns is going to be almost mandatory. I would suggest that you team up with another hiker and hitch to town together. Most folks who will stop to pick up someone going into a trail town are hiker friendly folks. If someone stops to give yoy a ride, and you don't like what you see, just say "No thanks I've changed my mind."

Carry-On
02-19-2013, 18:38
The only thing I am worried about is getting into towns. I wouldn't feel very safe hitching rides. And I am thinking of Franklin NC just as an example.. if i hiked 10-11 miles to get there, had to resupply, and then hike-10-11 back to the trail, and then hike another few miles to get away from the trailhead.. I don't think I could do that all in one day. I will figure it out as I go, but towns are the only thing that worry me.

Well, specifically for Franklin, NC, Ron Haven runs a shuttle free through the end of April if you stay in his hotel, or you can pay for it if you're not staying in his places.

I would start looking for another hiker to hitch with as I got near towns I knew I wanted to get into. It worked out. You can also chat with day hikers near the road crossing, without giving too much away at first. If you like them or get a good vibe then you can ask for a ride. At least that way you gave your intuition a chance to scope out people. You want to use your intuition any time you hitch or accept a ride, anyway, whether you are alone or not. Pairs can get into trouble, too.

Many places have trail angels and sometimes the local outfitters and hostels have contacts who will shuttle you. Sometimes free, sometimes you pay, but you can usually get where you need to go.

RJ Lewis
02-24-2013, 02:34
In regards to poison ivy the saying is "Leaves of 3, let it be". Its a shiny 3 leafed plant that grows along the trail in places, usually at lower elevations. I would have to say over the years the biggest complaint I have heard is about the mice in the shelters.

RETCW4
02-24-2013, 08:55
Heights and clowns. Not necessarily in that order.

Hairbear
02-24-2013, 09:41

When you come in contact with nettles ,and start to feel the burn, stop remove the outer skin from the plant the juice under the bark of the plant will stop the burn.

Hairbear
02-24-2013, 09:46

When you make contact with stinging nettles,stop cut the skin off the plant,rubbing the juice on the sting it will stop.

Hairbear
02-24-2013, 09:51
sorry for the double post site is giving me a migrane with the horse race to post before it cuts you off in the middle.

gratefulbob
02-24-2013, 09:51
Sleeping without my Tempurpedic...

bigcranky
02-24-2013, 09:54

You can't -- you need a ride into Franklin, and most other towns too. As Grampie said, the best way is to hook up with another hiker. It's really not that big a deal overall. Hitching is safe enough along the trail corridor.

Another Kevin
02-24-2013, 16:55
Hitching is safe enough along the trail corridor.

True enough. The excessively law abiding might want to avoid doing it in NY. While there's no state law against it, it's illegal in every county that the AT visits.

In NJ, on the other hand, every cop 'knows' it's illegal. Whatever the legislature says. You gotta problem wit dat?

XANGO
02-24-2013, 18:23
Did anyone say lightening? I was caught in a bad lightening storm on Blood Mountain in Georgia and never shook the fear.

Stir Fry
02-24-2013, 19:22
Failure is terrifying!!!

My bigest fear is also failure.

The Cleaner
02-24-2013, 19:56
If you fear the things in the great outdoors it probably best to do your walking in a city park or just stay home and watch TV.+1..........

hikerboy57
02-24-2013, 20:00
was probably the tv that created the fears in the first place

hikerboy57
02-24-2013, 20:02
news and media create an atmosphere of fear. less tv is one of the benefits of hiking

Pathfinder1
02-24-2013, 20:15
Hi...

CAUTION: snakes are more slippery than snow...!!;)

Papa D
02-24-2013, 20:30
I've spent a few nights in dark so black that opening your eyes and closing them results in no net difference - - so silent that you long for a plane to fly over or just some noise or you say something to yourself to just hear a sound - I've been in areas so remote and so dark and cold and remote and by myself that it can be scary as hell - - in time, you can learn to appreciate it but you long for sunlight or the sound of an animal or even the wind and learn to really appreciate it.

spinach
02-24-2013, 21:06
I'm afraid I'm not going too come back.

johnnybgood
02-24-2013, 21:38
I've spent a few nights in dark so black that opening your eyes and closing them results in no net difference - - so silent that you long for a plane to fly over or just some noise or you say something to yourself to just hear a sound - I've been in areas so remote and so dark and cold and remote and by myself that it can be scary as hell - - in time, you can learn to appreciate it but you long for sunlight or the sound of an animal or even the wind and learn to really appreciate it.

Blue blazing trails can do that. Inescapable silence can be unsettling,lying awake just to hear the usual nocturnal back woods sounds

Deadeye
02-25-2013, 13:58
Bees... and dreadlocks.

JAK
02-25-2013, 16:51
Being an Nothingness

Venchka
02-25-2013, 18:09

I can think of many city parks that are a whole lot scarier than anyplace that I have ever been in the Great Outdoors. Miles from anywhere.

Wayne

jgerres
02-25-2013, 21:05
I am afraid of getting on the bus in Knoxville and getting off in Atlanta then having to get on the MARTA train. I do not do well in a city (to many people not enough trees) and have never been on any kind of city public transportation. Once I am away from all that citified stuff I will be able to actually relax a bit.

Wise Old Owl
02-25-2013, 21:31
Did anyone say lightening? I was caught in a bad lightening storm on Blood Mountain in Georgia and never shook the fear.

had that coming down all around me while in a bivy and no tarp. -

Mine... taking bed bugs home.... ( I inspect mattress)

TheGreek
02-26-2013, 13:42
I am afraid of getting on the bus in Knoxville and getting off in Atlanta then having to get on the MARTA train. I do not do well in a city (to many people not enough trees) and have never been on any kind of city public transportation. Once I am away from all that citified stuff I will be able to actually relax a bit.

Assuming it's Greyhound, you can always get off in Gainesville. It's (technically) about the same distance to the trailhead, and skips MARTA.

That said, having spent twenty-some-odd years of my life in and around Atlanta, MARTA isn't that bad. Worst thing that will happen is someone will ask you for change.

Son Driven
02-26-2013, 14:15
Doing the 2013 GA - ME thru hike was given to me as a gift. The gift would not have been given to me if it was beyond my ability. So with that said, I am heading out with an abundance of confidence.

Son Driven
02-26-2013, 14:22
Assuming it's Greyhound, you can always get off in Gainesville. It's (technically) about the same distance to the trailhead, and skips MARTA.

That said, having spent twenty-some-odd years of my life in and around Atlanta, MARTA isn't that bad. Worst thing that will happen is someone will ask you for change.

In Minneapolis I use the light rail, I buy a few transportation tokens to give to the poor. We bring honor to the creator of the AT when we give to the poor. Proverbs 14:31

jgerres
02-27-2013, 00:02

Thanks for the reply. I just checked the itinerary for the bus I will be on and it is Greyhound but it does not go through Gainesville. It will be coming down I-75 with a stop in Marietta, GA.
I am just going to consider the cities and the MARTA part of my overall experience and a chance to experience something new.

RETCW4
02-27-2013, 12:39
Getting Lyme disease.Tumbleweed

RETCW4
02-27-2013, 12:41
Getting Lyme disease. Oh and heights.

Tumbleweed

Mulungu
02-28-2013, 09:45
my biggest fear at the moment is that our starting date will never arrive. it just seems that my fear of time standing still and me living through groundhog day is about to become a reality.

My groundhog day: wake up talk to people about the trial. check my drop boxes (yes seems everything is packed) check my rucksack (yes it is still all there) check my shoes (yes they are ok) read white blaze, read the trial guide, think about the first day on trail, back to bed
wake up .....

Mulungu
02-28-2013, 09:47
When you make contact with stinging nettles,stop cut the skin off the plant,rubbing the juice on the sting it will stop.

does this really work
we have blue bottles (live in the sea) that sting you. cure to urinate on the sting it works

TheGreek
02-28-2013, 12:41
does this really work
we have blue bottles (live in the sea) that sting you. cure to urinate on the sting it works

Always kind of wonder how they figured this out...

Odd Man Out
02-28-2013, 14:17
Dogs with guns :rolleyes:

Trev302
02-28-2013, 16:32
I'm absolutely terrified of spiders. I'm assuming it's a phobia I will have to get over quickly.

gussets
02-28-2013, 22:25
I'm scared of not finishing within 6 months. I don't want US Customs after me, but I also want to see some towns and not feel rushed.
Also a little ashamed to admit this, but I have a healthy fear of rodents! Big or small, dead or alive, I'm not a fan.

Mulungu
03-02-2013, 10:11
I'm scared of not finishing within 6 months. I don't want US Customs after me, but I also want to see some towns and not feel rushed.
Also a little ashamed to admit this, but I have a healthy fear of rodents! Big or small, dead or alive, I'm not a fan.
Ate USA customs officials scary and dangerous.:)

Trebor66
03-11-2013, 21:05

Thanks for the reply. I just checked the itinerary for the bus I will be on and it is Greyhound but it does not go through Gainesville. It will be coming down I-75 with a stop in Marietta, GA.
I am just going to consider the cities and the MARTA part of my overall experience and a chance to experience something new.
If your bus stops in Marietta you will be about 20 miles closer to Springer. I'd check with your shuttle and see is they will pick you up there.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-11-2013, 21:24
I'm absolutely terrified of spiders. I'm assuming it's a phobia I will have to get over quickly.

I'm right with you there! At one point I was considering how inappropriate it would be to bring a can of RAID to use on the shelters and privvies. Nothing quite so delightful as the thought of a brown recluse or black widow sting on the butt, or in my sleep. I know I won't do it, though I REALLY like the idea of just "spraying away" the problem. (might deter mice too)

hikerboy57
03-11-2013, 21:45
I'm right with you there! At one point I was considering how inappropriate it would be to bring a can of RAID to use on the shelters and privvies. Nothing quite so delightful as the thought of a brown recluse or black widow sting on the butt, or in my sleep. I know I won't do it, though I REALLY like the idea of just "spraying away" the problem. (might deter mice too)
the spray attracts bears and mountain lions

Del Q
03-12-2013, 21:44
Arnold Palmer once said that Golf is 100% mental

The biggest "fear" is probably between your ears.

Papa D
03-12-2013, 21:46
What am I REALLY afraid of:

I push myself beyond belief - running, hiking, swimming in rivers, rock climbing and doing big mile days. I'm afraid that I'll stop liking this stuff. When I do, I'll get old, fat (I'm 46 and am still at my high school weight) and die. That's the fear.

Dogwood
03-13-2013, 01:21
Heights and clowns. Not necessarily in that order.

Were you abused on a roof top by someone dressed as a clown?

Dogwood
03-13-2013, 01:29

Or, as I found out at 5 a.m the other morning, when returning from a hike, obviously in need of a shower and shave, leaving the downtown Atlanta Greyhound and attempting to get on MARTA, someone might try sell you a BS Breeze Pass/card and shaving razors and hotel shampoo. I can only guess how the several packages of high end razors were obtained. Dudes eyes were yellow. No, I'm OK was my reply. I don't use those kind of razors.

Dogwood
03-13-2013, 01:34
I've been known to wake up in cold sweats while having nightmares of me going over a cliff in a Greyhound Bus. It was another one of those memorable "The Dog" trips where the bus was 3 hrs late arriving at my pick up pt. And, it was as if NOBODY at Greyhound gave a damn.

Mulungu
03-21-2013, 09:42
Reading all the entries and watching the class of 2013 starting from Springer, I am afraid that by the time we get there in April there will be no more trail magic left..... And that the towns along the route will be sick and tired of seeing the class of 2013 and be real grumpy by the time we make it there :)

Harrison Bergeron
03-21-2013, 15:21
My biggest HIKING fear is getting my 800 fill bag wet.

PATMAC
03-21-2013, 15:37
My biggest HIKING fear is getting my 800 fill bag wet.

As long as you have it in a quality dry bag, you'll be fine.

...this is of course assuming that you don't setup your tent in a flash flood area :P

Special K
03-21-2013, 16:59
My biggest fear is the plane ride to Atlanta. I hate to fly.

faxanadu
03-21-2013, 18:27
No fear really. Just really anxious. So many new experiences in the last few months and the next few months. My brain is going nuts.

More so than getting my skydiving A license ... weird