PDA

View Full Version : Best time to see Blooming Rhododendron in Roan Highlands

Bear-bait
02-15-2013, 06:58
What would be the best time of year to hike through Roan Highlands in order to catch the rhododendron in full bloom?

Thanks

Grits
02-15-2013, 07:28
Tennessee Rhododendron Festival: June 15-16, 2013
http://www.roanmountain.com/festival.htm
North Carolina Rhododendron Festival, Bakersville
June 14-15, 2013

Carry-On
02-15-2013, 13:52
This is my blog entry for the day I hiked over the Roan Highlands with pictures. That was June 2nd.

http://carryonadventures.blogspot.com/2013/02/6-2-12-roan-mountain-highlands.html

HikerMom58
02-15-2013, 15:56
This is my blog entry for the day I hiked over the Roan Highlands with pictures. That was June 2nd.

http://carryonadventures.blogspot.com/2013/02/6-2-12-roan-mountain-highlands.html

Carry On.. those pics are amazing!! I feel so privileged to see/enjoy them b/c I know what a sacrifice was made on ur part to carry that nice camera. Thanks a BUNCH! :)

Dogwood
02-15-2013, 20:15
The abundant Catawba Rhododendrons(Rhodendron catawbienese) do put on quite a show on Roan Mountain between late May and possibly late June but don't forget the Rosebay Rhododendron(Rhodendron maximum), Flame azalea (Rhodendron calendulaceum), Pink Shell azalea(Rhodendron vaseyi), Mountain laurel(Kalmia laifolia), Roan Mountain bluet(Hedyotis purpurea), rare Grays lily(Lilium gayii), Spreading and Bent avens(Geum radiatum and G. geniculatum) you may also see in bloom at that time. Starting to get late for the mountain laurel blooms and still a little early for the Grays lily blooms but you still might see some. Further north on the AT just after Jane's Bald I've spotted Rosebays mixed in with the Catawbas in bloom at the same time.

I know springtime on Roan Mt gets all the plant attention with the magnitude of Catawbas in bloom but fall is also a beautiful plant time on and in the Roan Mt vicinity, After some of the first light frosts the Vaccinum sp.(blueberries) turn a beautiful maroon color and are set off by all the broad leaf evergreens like the Rhodies, azaleas and a few needled evergreens. In the fall at the same time you might spot some fragrant pinkish/white Carolina Azalea flowers, Ragworts, and yellow flowered wand like Blue Ridge goldenrod(Solidago spithamaea) blooms in the mix. Everyone goes gaga about flowers. Admittedly, plants offer a lot when plants are LOUD with abundant blooms but that's not all there is to appreciate with plants. They can offer beauty and lifelong memories during any season. And, most tend to forget about Roan Mt in the fall so that's when you might have the place to yourself.

aficion
02-15-2013, 20:29
What would be the best time of year to hike through Roan Highlands in order to catch the rhododendron in full bloom?

Thanks

Late May lately.

Mr. Bumpy
02-15-2013, 21:45
June 2nd at 11:32.

Carry-On
02-15-2013, 22:20
Carry On.. those pics are amazing!! I feel so privileged to see/enjoy them b/c I know what a sacrifice was made on ur part to carry that nice camera. Thanks a BUNCH! :)

Thanks HikerMom. I'm glad you like them. It was one of the most beautiful days of my hike.

Wise Old Owl
02-15-2013, 23:44
can this be compared to blooming onion at Outback?

Likes2travel
02-17-2013, 12:54
can this be compared to blooming onion at Outback?
I have been in 37 of the 50 states and 3 countries outside of the U.S. and I still think the "roadies" in bloom are the amazing thing I have ever seen.

waywardfool
02-20-2013, 11:25
Late May lately.

For years (since late 70's, early 80's) I have gone whatever weekend was closest to June 10-15 and did well more often than not. The past few years, it seems that may be a little late. I'd shoot for the first week of June. Mr. Bumpy has probably nailed it, +/- 21 minutes.