PDA

View Full Version : Dahlgren campsite to open around March 27

stillatit
02-15-2013, 11:17
I just got a nice response from the area manager of Greenbrier State Park in Maryland who says that the bathhouse/camp site about .3 of a mile S of US 40A in N. Maryland is scheduled to open "on or about March 27."

This is that open area on South Mountain with plenty of grass for tents, picnic tables, and baths with 2 showers, all free (Dahlgren --p. 100, 2013 A.T. Guide). If you're flipflopping or slackpacking, it's an easy jaunt in for a free shower. You can leave your vehicle in the dirt parking lot on US 40A at Turner's Gap, run in the .3 mile, grab a shower, and then be on your way. If spending the night it's far enough from the road to keep the noise and partiers away. There are some nice views from S. Mountain too. Just a little S of here at Fox Gap (?) you can see Wash. DC and AM radio reception is excellent at night. You can pick up St. Louis, Cincinnati, etc. from this ridge.

Happy showering..

:sun

RED-DOG
02-15-2013, 11:23
Yes i stopped their in 06 and 2012 it's a great place to drop in, take a break and a quick shower.

FarmerChef
02-15-2013, 11:38
Thanks for the update. We use Dahlgren as an easy stop for our conditioning hikes in between longer sections. The trail is nice and easy in this section and having clean running water, flush toilets and showers is a real luxury. All at no cost. Was there last year on opening day of hunting season in MD. It sounded like World War III had started in the woods and then the park ranger came by to see if we all had our blaze orange hats (we did). Very nice spot on the trail.

WILLIAM HAYES
02-15-2013, 21:23
It was a good place to stop for a shower when I went thru maryland -the people that maintain it deserve kudos also not to far from a nice restuarant on the highway which was closed when I went thru great trail magic too -someone left a dozen donuts ate two and left the rest