PDA

View Full Version : how much insulation is needed?

AllTheWayToMordor
02-15-2013, 12:53
I'm starting on my nobo thru in a few weeks and I have an insulation question.

Right now I have a set of merino wool long underwear top and bottom, a lightweight down puffy and a rain jacket. My question is whether I should bring a lightweight primaloft vest for extra warmth while hiking, or if that would be over kill.

Thanks.

Camel2012
02-15-2013, 13:12
The simple answer: take it, and if you decide you don't need it, ship it home.

This is a hard question for others to answer. First, we have no idea what the weather will be like over the next couple months, and i have no idea how cold or hot you run.

You won't be wearing the down jacket while hiking, and you will want to keep your base layers dry for sleeping. So, i would say to bring it until you at least get past the smokies, and possibly up into Virginia.

Different people run at different temps. I normally hike in shorts down to 40-50F, but others are freezing at the same temp in pants.

You will figure out fast what you "need" on the trail. It is said a lot here, but is completely true.

Here is the reason i would bring it if you have it, if you get out there and decide you need more insulation, you're stuck buying on the trail, or have to wait on it to get mailed to you. It would be easier to mail it home when not needed anymore. Also, i have no idea of the jacket you're talking about, and i normally carry a fleece jacket to hike in when needed.

Camel2012
02-15-2013, 13:15
PS: I start on Springer three weeks from today. Hope to see you on the trail.

AllTheWayToMordor
02-15-2013, 13:35
Yeah, I hope to see you on the trail.

The jacket I'm talking about is a sierra designs gnar lite. The base layers aren't necessarily for sleeping, I usually sleep in my skivies, so ill probably be hiking in the base layers if need be.

Thanks for the reply, I understand that its pretty variable from person to person.

Camel2012
02-15-2013, 13:40
I will do a direct answer. If starting in March, i would bring a jacket in addition to the rain and down jacket as a safety precaution.. We are bound to get at least one good cold snap, and then just send it home when it warms up.

The weather in the smokies can be rough even in March and April.

Smooth & Wasabi
02-15-2013, 14:12
As mentioned it depends alot on your physiology. I tend to generate a good amount of heat while moving which is reflected in my reccomendation. Since you plan on hiking in your baselayers I would say it comes down to whether you personally can get away with hiking in your rain jacket. If you can and you also have appropriate head and handwear you will probably be fine. If you would rather not hike in the shell I reccomend either a wind shirt or light fleece instead of the primaloft. I would sweat bullets hiking in that and it would be a pain to dry if necessary.

In the begining of march in 02 I had a few days that barely saw double digits. I had to wear my tee, midweight baselayer, rain shell, hat, and gloves while hiking. I disliked hiking in my rain gear unless it was really raining so I currently take the few ounce penalty of carrying a hooded windshirt. Have fun

JAK
02-15-2013, 14:51
Test yourself. Different temperatures. Different activity levels. Don't count on being able to stay active.
I carry 1 oz of clothing layers head to toe for every degree F below 90F. Coldest I might encounter in trip.

JAK
02-15-2013, 14:53
4 pounds of clothing layers for 25F not counting my shoes, shells, or hiking shorts.

Camel2012
02-15-2013, 15:04
Test yourself. Different temperatures. Different activity levels. Don't count on being able to stay active.
I carry 1 oz of clothing layers head to toe for every degree F below 90F. Coldest I might encounter in trip.

Not sure i want to hike around you when it's above 90.

snowblind
02-15-2013, 17:50
I start south from HF in two weeks and am taking the following:

1 thermal bottom - 7oz
1 baselayer top thick - 11oz
1 baselayer top thin - 7oz
2 fleece tops - 8oz , 10oz
1 nike shorts/shirt - 7oz , 4oz
1 baselayer shortslv - 3 oz
Rain pants/jacket - 12oz , 13oz
4 pairs of socks (1 pr thick long over calf, 1 pr low calf, 1 pr ankle, 1 pr wool low calf) - 8oz

Total: 92oz = 5lbs, 10oz

All about the layering... The above kept me warm when hiking down to around 20F.

Snowleopard
02-15-2013, 20:07
Snowblind and Mordor, I'd add at least a warm pair of wool mittens, thin liner gloves (polypro or thin wool) and a warm hat (fleece or wool beanie or balaclava). If your rain jackets aren't waterproof/breathable (i.e., Goretex or equivalent), then you need a breathable wind breaker. Some people like using a very light wind shirt over minimal layers while hiking, and I'm starting to like that also.

AllTheWayToMordor
02-15-2013, 21:12
Yeah, I didn't mention gloves and wool hat, but I have them too.

garlic08
02-16-2013, 08:53
That sounds like a pretty good plan, bringing the extra vest in March. If you know you can keep moving and warm for days in wet winter conditions without it, while keeping well fed, rested and hydrated, you probably don't need it. But if you're not sure.... Do not underestimate spring weather in the southern Appalachians. I hiked the AT with nearly 20 years of winter mountaineering experience in Colorado, and ran into what I considered nearly severe conditions in April in NC and VA. I hiked with an "extra" down vest and though I never needed, I was glad to have it. As mentioned above, there are plenty of options to send it home if you don't need it. There are also plenty of options to sit out those storms, by the way, but if you like to keep moving like I did, you can have the Trail to yourself for a while.

Del Q
02-16-2013, 09:59
I have learned the lesson (the hard way) easier to stay warm than get warm.

Regardless of the temperature, once I am moving I am fine until I stop for the day.............my lesson learned there, get into my sleeping bag quickly.

Getting up, bathroom break, breaking camp and the 1st 15 minutes is COLD.............I take gloves, fleece cap, balaclava, merino wool long john's, merino wool tee shirt, light capilene long sleeve top, rain jacket and pants and a Mont Bell synthetic jacket. Hiking kilt. That is 4 layers up top and 2 below, works for me.

Bosman
02-16-2013, 11:39
I have found this to work very well as top layers
Cap 4 hoody
Montane wind break hoody
Ibex wool vest
When I stop I throw on my Patagonia ultralight down hoody.

When hiking thru snow I felt my nipples ice up so the ibex vest went on did the rest of the day like that. I have a Patagonia r1 vest and it is light and wispy but the ibex wool feels thick and heavy. Guess what, they almost weighed the same amount! I was impressed and it was their Logan vest or whatever. I took it over the Patagonia vest because it feels like its much warmer so I went with the more warm factor. I like the windbreaker hoody because it allows the cap4 hoody to steam out thru it yet block wind and light precip. The ultralight down hoody is worn about every day from fall to spring, def one of those pieces of equipment where dollars per use was well paid for a long time ago. It's pretty amazing when I tried it on in 2011 I tried the heavier Patagonia down jacket thinking I needed more that what that skimpy ultralight down jacket. After trying the heavier one then putting on the ultralight one I was shocked. The ultralight one made me warmer instantly. I guess that solved my questions and the weight factor was big. Getting away with a 9oz jacket made me smile and still does. :)

JAK
02-16-2013, 11:48
Not sure i want to hike around you when it's above 90.
No point in wearing layers unless you are willing to delayer. :D