PDA

View Full Version : Hitch hiking: what was I doing wrong?

TwoForty
06-11-2005, 18:27
I was doing a quick overnight in GSMNP where I started (and parked my car) at the Alum Cave trailhead and then came out at Newfound Gap where I was planning on hitching back to my car, 10 minutes down Newfound Gap road.

Newfound Gap was packed but I couldn't get anyone to give me a ride so I walked a few hundred yards down the road to an overlook and tried again for 30 minutes with no luck. I met a section hiker earlier who said he was able to get a ride from Clingmans Dome to Gatlinburg (he wanted ice cream :p ) and back. I ended up having to get creative and used some other trails to reduce the amount of road walking, but I still had to walk Newfound Gap road for about 3 miles.

What was I doing wrong? It was in May, so it was mostly old people in tour buses and families never going more than 20 ft from their car, but there were some hikers too. I'm not that scary looking either.

Sly
06-11-2005, 19:11
At trailheads if I don't get a ride hitching within a few minutes, I just ask.

TakeABreak
06-11-2005, 19:18
The only thing I can think of is the tourist through there that day must of all been from a big city. As sly said, I would asked after few minutes. Maybe just kinda hanging around, and approaching someone without a family around the same age group, you. Alot of times the seniors will get nervous when approached about such things, so will people with a family. Maybe a good idea is to ask someone with a pcikup, if you can ride in the back or something.

Hikerhead
06-11-2005, 19:37
Do it with a chic. You'll be in a car/truck in no time.

HikerHobo
06-11-2005, 19:44
Maybe it was that unwashed shoulder length hair,
scruffy beard and dirty clothes ! :eek:

fiddlehead
06-11-2005, 22:27
Tourists don't pick up hitchikers very often. At that spot, you need a local and a sign could really help in that situation. My TYVEK grounsheet doubles as a great sign board. Just write "AT thru-hiker needs ride".
Tourists are usually with children or grandmothers and often won't even look at you. They are scared of things like us.
You must be creative, different from the average bum, neat looking, find a good spot, have patience, or just walk 10 minutes down the road.
I'm sure lots of us on here have had some great hitches and also some very long waits, between them.
A sign i saw in a bathroom in England one time: "Hitching is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat, sooner or later you get pissed off!"

Lion King
06-12-2005, 02:29
Paitence

or is it

Patience:datz

Tha Wookie
06-12-2005, 10:10
try sticking your thumb out?:cool:

Dharma
06-12-2005, 11:03
I couldn't get anyone to give me a rideStay focused on what you're doing. If you start saying to yourself, "I'm not getting a ride, I'm going to have to walk down" -- that's where your focus is, but it's not where you are.

What I mean by that is, in that moment you're trying to get a ride by focusing on not getting a ride. That's a pretty tough process.

If the ride doesn't show and you get flustered, people will see that, or you'll miss eye contact with someone cause you're thinking about how to get down off the mountain. When that happens, breath deep and bring your focus back to what you're doing -- stick your thumb out, clear your mind, absorb what it feels like to hitch, and let the space of opportunity open.

TwoForty
06-12-2005, 11:20
I like the idea of looking for someone with a pickup. I like the idea of having a chick with me to help out as well, but some times pickups are easier to find.

I was dressed like your average hiker and I know they couldn't smell me from a moving car. I'm 21, tall, and skinny, so I'm not too scary looking. Next time I'll just approach more people (when available) because holding my thumb out wasn't working so well with all the tourists with families.

TwoForty
06-12-2005, 11:21
Oh, and it's not like I came out that bad in the end. I ended up bypassing a lot of the road by using a side trail and for 2 hours, I didn't see a single person. I saw lots of wildflowers, animals, and paralleled a nice stream.

ridgewalker777
06-12-2005, 12:52
I was finishing PA Friday morning and needed to get back to DWG from Pen-Mar. I got a ride quickly to the interstate, 81, another north to Carlisle where I got stuck for over an hour and a half. I went over to a truck stop and asked truckers pumping gas if anyone was going toward 80--I got a ride to 80 in a problem area and then another trucker picked me up a little later dropped me at a rest stop on 80, 40 miles short of DWG. I waited a while without success and then prevailed upon a tour bus to drop me off at DWG. Offering money sometimes helps, a sign indicating destination, etc. With bus service so sketchy these days and long distance hiker shuttling very expensive and against the principle to not wasting resources, hitching makes a lot of sense though it is often humiliating when no one has a heart to help. Too bad there is no internet site to arrange for carpooling long distance.

Skeemer
06-12-2005, 14:14
I've yet to have a problem hitching a ride where there's traffic. When I hitched down from Clingman's Dome a family with two kids picked up me and another guy. I stand erect with my pack in front of me (for faster loading) and my Leki's crisscrossed (so they know I'm a hiker) And BTW, never ever give anyone the finger when they honk and speed by you...it gives hikers a bad name.

The Top Ten ways that worked for me:

10. Lay down on the road...you on your back waving desparately in one lane and your pack in the other...you know...like you've been injured.

9. Smile and wave a hand full of fiftys...like you're going to pay the person who picks you up.

8. As the car approaches, lean forward with a stern look on your face; look the driver directly in the eye while motioning him to the curb...directing him to pull over (like the state troopers do when they give you a speeding ticket.)

7. Drop to your knees with hands folded in prayer and your head looking up towards heaven...this works especially well in the south.

6. Drop your pants...when they slow down to take a look, grab the door handle and hop in. (This didn't always work for me since I'm so big they could see it from way way down the road and by the time they got to me would speed up again.)

5. Make a sign that says, "FREE SEX" or "FREE MONEY" or "FREE URIN SAMPLE"...free anything for that matter...Americans are such greedy bastards they'll stop for anything free.

4. Use your head and make any clever sign like, "MY MOTHER JUST DIED...GOING HOME" or "I DON'T DO DRUGS" or "I DO DRUGS." Be innovative Remember it doesn't have to be true...the idea is to get them to stop, right?

3. Bend over and grab your crotch with one hand while thumbing with the other and balling like a baby.

2. This next one takes some practice...hike in sunglasses and use a white cane insead of sticks...walk down the road with one hand out, tapping the cane like your'e feeling your way. Hey, everyone knows about the blind guy who hiked the AT...they'll stop thinking they're picking up a celebraty.

And the Number way I found to hitch a ride:

Hold up a sign that says "Don't blame me, I voted for Kerry" with your thumb out.

I've thought about buying one of those "hiker to town/town to trail" bandanas but who wants to spend the money.

Come to think of it, an awful lot of my rides were from guys with dogs...dogs that I had to share the seat with.

I always asked them their first name and thanked them in my journal. I talked most of them to death...my guess is they were probably the same people that wouldn't give you a ride.

Blue Jay
06-12-2005, 15:37
Skeemer those were great, the only one you missed was wear a big hat or a Kerry mask so they can't see your face.

TakeABreak
06-12-2005, 17:30
Well, I have a had a spots like that also, what I do is what I first posted up above,

"The only thing I can think of is the tourist through there that day must of all been from a big city. As sly said, I would asked after few minutes. Maybe just kinda hanging around, and approaching someone without a family around the same age group, you. Alot of times the seniors will get nervous when approached about such things, so will people with a family. Maybe a good idea is to ask someone with a pcikup, if you can ride in the back or something."

If that does not work I say God, this is what I need and I could really use some help right now. And a ride comes a long, not always the best and not always right away, but it always works out.

While trying to hitch to Manchester Center, in Vt, it was raining I was soaked and cold, I could not get a ride, not even in the back of a pickup. I started walking to town( said a little prayer as I walked, simply saying first God,please don't let me get hit(the vehicle seemed to whizzing by pretty close and felt really nervous on that road) and I could really use a ride),.

few minutes later I came to a side road on the right and noticed a guy pull up to the stop sign and he saw me, and just sat there. As I apporached the road he rolled down his window and said do you need a ride I said yes but I am soaked and smelly, he said no problem get in, just crack the window a little and so will I. I put my pack in the back and got in, he said where to, I said well I was planning on staying at Suttons if he has room. When I went to produce my map to show where it was, he said I know Sutton he's a friend.

Then he looked at me and said, don't you have a mail drop, I said yes, but it is near closing time, a ride to Suttons will be plenty, I will get it in the morning. Next thing I knew we are at the post office with a lot vehicles in the lot, I said, it looks busy and I am sure you have places to go, you can just drop me, he said, no I will wait.

Ten minutes later, after getting my package, I expected to see my pack setting outside the door, but he was still there, he then drove me to Sutton's and I thanked him very gratefully and offered to give him a few dollars for his gas and time, or buy him a coffe or something. He said no, you see, I was not even planning on going anywhere and something just told me to make a run into town. He said, you see I live on that cross road, where I met you. He then said, when I saw you, I knew why I had the sudden urge to go town. He said, you really looked like you could use a ride

I know it was long story, but I just had to tell it, please for give my windedness.

Skeemer
06-12-2005, 17:40
[
B]BlueJay[/B] wrote:
...wear a big hat or a Kerry mask so they can't see your face.

If I did that all the girls would miss my good looks and wouldn't pick me up. You know they tried to re-name me "sexy legs" on the Trail.

Up north somewhere, there was this classy, sharp middle aged lady who picked me up and took me to town in her Mercedes. She really acted like she was waiting for me to make the first move....Man, I tell ya...it was a real test of my loyalty to my wife. But, it was steaming hot out and all I wanted was to get to the convenience store for a cold soda and some ice cream, then return to the AT.

Big Dawg
06-12-2005, 21:18
I know it was long story, but I just had to tell it, please for give my windedness.
No forgiveness needed,,, great story,, I've had a few similar situations like that happen to me,,, warms the heart! There's some great folks out there,, sometimes just a little hard to find!

:sun

lobster
06-13-2005, 02:11
One of those big supersoakers pointed at your head works pretty well for getting rides.

Colter
06-13-2005, 03:30
[QUOTE=Skeemer]The Top Ten ways that worked for me:
QUOTE]

I laughed out loud several times. Thanks! :)

smokedog
06-13-2005, 13:06
I recently waited over 45 minutes trying to hitch into Glasgo, VA. Plenty of traffiic passed, but none stopped. Finally, just before I decided to continue north on the trail, the owner of a campground in the other direction offered to take me to his place. Tired, hungary and discouraged I agreed. I'm a 53 y/o, clean cut, obvious hiker attire, non threatening type, and I always have a problem getting a ride. I have much better success asking directly, however that's sorta difficult when they zip past at 60 mph!

jackiebolen
06-13-2005, 13:14
You're not a helpless looking girl...that's what you're doing wrong. Maybe buy a wig.

Kerosene
06-13-2005, 14:03
I tried to get out of Bland, Virginia a few weeks ago to get a ride to the trailhead 2.5 miles up the hill. First, I think I just missed the early morning traffic going over the hill to Bastian, because not one car passed me in 15 minutes whereas there was a steady flow a half hour earlier (I had to wait for the post office to open). Second, there was a light rain and I was wearing my rainsuit. I started up the hill at 9 AM and tried to hitch, but no one was going to stop that day.

On the other hand, tired and drippy at the end of a 20-mile day the afternoon before, a guy popped out of the house near the trailhead and offered to drive me directly to the motel!

PKH
06-13-2005, 14:15
In my youth I once hitch hiked across Canada in six days.

You are doing nothing wrong. It's the nature of the beast. Sometimes the magic works, and sometimes it doesn't. No one is obliged to pick you up.

Cheers,

PKH

Pencil Pusher
06-14-2005, 02:04
I also got skunked the one time I thumbed it. A friend who'd had better luck in his youth told me the sure-fire way to get a ride quick was to wait for a car, then visibly make the sign of the cross like in church, and then stick your thumb out. He said you'd more than likely get an earful of religious stuff, but the folks would go out of their way to drop you off.

Fannypack
06-14-2005, 07:23
Below is an excerpt on hitch hiking from the journal of Doug Walsh aka Skywalker who is currently hiking the CDT with Eric Weise. Some of you may know these 2 guys from the PCT in 2001. You can find Doug's latest entories to his journal here: http://www.rawhike.com/hikejournal.shtml

Excerpt on hitch hiking follows:
I must say, Eric is the master of hitch-hiking. I've learned a lot from him about how to travel this way. And when you are aware that what you experience flows from where you put your attention, it takes all the fear out of it. It's actually quite fun, as you never know what characters you will get to meet.

For those of you who are curious, I'll share with you the hitch-hiking skills I have learned from the master. First, stay positive and never get discouraged. All the people who are passing you by are the ones you wouldn't want to ride with anyway. The great ride you are waiting for is on its way. Second, have fun. No one wants to pick up someone standing by the road with that far away blank stare zombie look on their face. Get animated. Lick your thumb and stick it out there like a magic wand in full view of the oncoming car with a big smile on your face. Third, make it personal. Make eye contact. Smile and wave at everyone going by, whether they are picking you up or not. Even wave at the people going the opposite direction, as they may be going to the grocery store and will be coming back your way in 20 minutes. And to these I would add, imagine yourself at your destination. Feel yourself arriving before it happens. Know your safe arrival at your destination is inevitable and relax, knowing your next ride is just around the corner.

Lone Wolf
06-14-2005, 07:23
There ain't no rhyme or reason to hitching. Sometimes it's quick other times you wait a while. But most hikers are in a rush so if it's longer than 10 minutes they have a fit.

prozac
06-14-2005, 17:57
Its easy. Anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon Line just put on a Dale Earnhart cap with that big #3 on it. Guaranteed ride. Even works above the line but not as effective. When possible always try to hitch from an intersection or stoplight. It gives people enough time to size you up and decide your not a threat. The only people who stop while doing sixty are either teenagers or people who are familiar with the trail and/or hiking.

Big Dawg
06-14-2005, 21:37
I also got skunked the one time I thumbed it. A friend who'd had better luck in his youth told me the sure-fire way to get a ride quick was to wait for a car, then visibly make the sign of the cross like in church, and then stick your thumb out. He said you'd more than likely get an earful of religious stuff, but the folks would go out of their way to drop you off.
I've done this & it works like a charm :clap Thank You Jesus!

Moxie00
06-22-2005, 09:38
I had no trouble with one exception on my thru hike. I am older, white hair and usually clean shaven with a big pack. I had several people offer me rides when I didn't even want them. I usually got rides before the 5th or 6th car went by. The one exception was in southern North Carolina during a downpour. Both myself and my gear were totally soaked and only an idiot would have let me in their car. Near the AT people are used to seeing thru hikers hitchhike and often I got offers of rides without even sticking out my thumb.

Skyline
06-22-2005, 09:56
This may, or may not, apply to Two Forty's situation--but I've found many hikers who have trouble getting rides are simply standing in the wrong place.

By that I mean you've got to think like a driver, not a hitchhiker. Stand on the highway BEFORE a good, safe place he (or she) can safely pull over. A great example is on US211 (Thornton Gap, Shenandoah National Park) where the AT crosses.

Some hikers complain that we have the most unfriendly people on the whole AT here because they "stood there for two hours and no one would stop." Well duh...drivers have just crested the hill, the highway's down to a single lane at that point (going westbound, to Luray), and traffic coming from behind is likely to be going fast. Who would stop? There's nowhere to safely pull over by the time they see you there, and no thinking person is going to stop there right on the highway lane; the nearest place to turn around and come back is nearly at the bottom of the mountain.

This is doubly dangerous for drivers if it's foggy on the mountain.

If the hiker had just walked up US211 a tenth of a mile or less, stood on the "east" side of the underpass, chances are much better they'd have gotten a ride. Drivers can see you more easily there, and can safely pull off under the Skyline Drive bridge, so everything works out.

MDSHiker
06-23-2005, 16:28
I was reading a story in the local paper about a guy that had hitchhiked in several countries. He claims to have traveled over 40K miles and never owned a car. His number one trick on the list to get a ride...

Just ask.

wacocelt
06-23-2005, 17:00
I've hitch-hiked all over the Southern US and Mexico, as well as on and around the AT in New England and as many folks have stated, sometimes it just doesn't happen.
I have noticed though, that folks who haven't hitched before have a very stiff and uncomfortable posture and sometimes even look embarassed, this body language is picked up by the motorists as 'sketchy'.
My best technique for hitching is to thumb the ride as soon as I see them coming, then when the vehicle is 50'ish yards away and I can tell they aren't slowing down I simply wearily smile and wave.
So, I guess my advice is... Relax, smile and wave. Happy hiking and hitching as well!

Christopher Robin

robin31
06-23-2005, 17:10
That's true!!!

Find a girl with a pretty smile!

Do it with a chic. You'll be in a car/truck in no time.

fiddlehead
06-23-2005, 22:20
I've hitched in over 16 countries now and it's always better either alone, with a dog, or a girl. 2 or more guys is the worst. It's better to split up and have the 1st guy try to talk the driver into picking up the 2nd guy after you explain what you are out there for. this usually works.
Where you stand is very important sometimes. You must try to make it easy for the car to pull over somewhere. If they want to pick you up, but can't pull over anywhere, they wont' stop. It's also important to look neat, look them in the eye, smile and most importantly: have patience.
The best ride i ever got was on the back of a truck already full of Aboriginals in Austrailia and we had a great jam session with their digirdoos and my guitar playing pink floyd along with whatever tunes they were playing. They tried to buy me wine and food so i would stay longer and everything.
easiest countries for hitching: Austrailia ( in the outback anyway) Ireland (so many people do it)
worst: USA, (especially east coast and WY) France (i had some really tough times here although also some very memorable rides)
ps. it is illegal to "solicit" a ride in the state of WY. as far as i know, that's the only state to have that law. "solicit" meaning: sticking out your thumb, holding up a sign, or even just standing by the side of the road looking like your hitching! (according to a state cop who made us walk.)