PDA

View Full Version : MSR Whisperlite vs alcohol beer can stoves

jrabbott
02-15-2013, 17:31
After much deliberation I have decided to take my MSR Whisperlite on my section hikes this spring and summer. It seems much more reliable and faster to cook with. The weight is not that big of an issue since this is a much more important piece of equipment for me. I do have a question regarding access to White Gas in the AT.... will I have trouble resupplying and looking at the burn rate I should be able to cook many meals with my fuel canister. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

Camel2012
02-15-2013, 17:41
Whisperlite works great on the trail. I personally like being able to simmer. It is what i use.

I have only hiked from Ga to Md, but never had a problem finding it at resupply points.

bert304
02-15-2013, 18:03
I use a Wisperlite also, never had a problem with it

q-tip
02-16-2013, 10:10
I have used a number of stoves including alcohol. I found the Soto to work best..

Grampie
02-16-2013, 10:37
Started my thru with a Wisperlite. Decided to reduce some weight and changed to a beer can stove. Both systems worked great for me. Fule for either was never a problem. I found it available most everywhere along the trail.

bigcranky
02-16-2013, 10:41
Our first big family section hike I took the Whisperlite. It works fine, no problem getting white gas along the way. But it's larger and heavier than we need, so ever since we've taken a canister stove.

It's absolutely true that an extra pound is not a big deal -- so take the stove if you want to. Just be aware that it's easy to say that about everything in your pack, and pretty soon you've got 50 pounds. :)