PDA

View Full Version : Standing Indian Campground, NC

Werdigo
02-15-2013, 18:01
The 2012 Thru-Hikers' Companion indicates (p. 24) one can use this as a mail drop: "will hold packages shipped UPS..." But the entry also says "small campstore open Apr-Oct." I wonder if those dates just apply to the store, or if the whole campground is closed up tight until April. I'll be hitting Rock Gap (I hope) in mid-March. So far, there's been no answer on the telephone. Does anyone have experience with using this USFS campground as a mail drop? Am I likely to be OK with a ~March 20 pickup there?

Camel2012
02-15-2013, 18:17
I would call first. I looked in the 2013 AT guide, and it doesn't show that they hold mail.

max patch
02-15-2013, 18:18
The campground opens April 1.

jbwood5
02-15-2013, 18:22
The 2012 Thru-Hikers' Companion indicates (p. 24) one can use this as a mail drop: "will hold packages shipped UPS..." But the entry also says "small campstore open Apr-Oct." I wonder if those dates just apply to the store, or if the whole campground is closed up tight until April. I'll be hitting Rock Gap (I hope) in mid-March. So far, there's been no answer on the telephone. Does anyone have experience with using this USFS campground as a mail drop? Am I likely to be OK with a ~March 20 pickup there?

It is probably not a good choice. I've been up there a few times during the week in the Spring and the store was not even open, plus I don't think the campground opens until sometime after Spring. I've been there in March, found the gate locked, and when I walked through the campground, there was not a soul around.

tds1195
02-15-2013, 18:31
I wouldn't go for it - they're not always open (though I've only been a couple of times)

Razor
02-15-2013, 21:31
Franklin is a much better resupply.

R1TenderFoot
02-16-2013, 01:57
I have mailed a drop box the last 2 years there, no problems whatsoever. No idea when the campground opens though.

Werdigo
02-16-2013, 21:36
Thanks, all! It seems unlikely that a box sent for a mid-March pickup would be available (though the fact that the campground doesn't open for business until April 1 doesn't necessarily mean boxes couldn't be picked up --- there could be rangers or staff members there). Razor, I don't like hitchhiking. I'm going to see what the Muskrat Creek Hostel can do.

max patch
02-16-2013, 22:15
Razor, I don't like hitchhiking.

Don't need to hitch. Ron Haven will pick ya up in the bus.

http://www.ronhavenhikerservices.com/

Werdigo
02-16-2013, 22:31
Don't need to hitch. Ron Haven will pick ya up in the bus.

http://www.ronhavenhikerservices.com/

Thanks, Max! Ron's service and motels sound pretty attractive.

RockDoc
02-17-2013, 00:02
When I was there there were down vests, etc for sale at low prices in the store. I inquired about them and was told that the items were in packages that had not been claimed. So be ready for that to happen to your personal property if for some reason you don't get there at just the right time... I don't know of any other hostel that would do something like that but Standing Indian definitely dances to a different drummer.

daddytwosticks
02-17-2013, 12:01
Wait, I'm really confused. I live in the general area and thought I knew this section of the trail well. I've seen two posts mentioning a Muskrat Creek Hostel and a Standing Indian Hostel. Am I missing something? :)

jbwood5
02-17-2013, 14:27
Wait, I'm really confused. I live in the general area and thought I knew this section of the trail well. I've seen two posts mentioning a Muskrat Creek Hostel and a Standing Indian Hostel. Am I missing something? :)

That would be news to me too.

RED-DOG
02-18-2013, 12:42
Bro just send your mail drop to the Aquonehostel, it's only about one day hike from the campground and they will even meet you on the trail so you can get the mail drop, and they want charge anything for this.

max patch
02-18-2013, 13:13

The reference to Standing Indian Hostel was an obvious mistake; should have been Standing Indian Campground.

There is a Muskrat Creek Hostel which is run by a former thru hiker. If its located where I think it is you'd need a ride to get there; and to me if you're gonna get ride miles off the trail then it makes sense to go to Franklin instead. But thats just me; never been there but it sounds like a nice place run by a nice couple.

Don't know if they are in the Handbooks, if so someone please list contact info. If no one posts anything, and you really want to learn more, I *may* still have their contact info. PM me if no one posts and I'll see if I have it.

RED-DOG
02-18-2013, 13:25
Bro use Aquone Hostel they will bring your Mail drop to the trail either at Burningtown Gap or Winding Stair Gap you want have to go 10ft off the trail if you don't want to and you can find all their info at Aquonehostel.com.

RED-DOG
02-18-2013, 13:30
Here is Aquone Hostel's Phone number 828-321-2340, Wiggy is a cool dude he will help you any he can.

sliderule
02-28-2013, 15:34
I don't know of any other hostel that would do something like that but Standing Indian definitely dances to a different drummer.

The campground is now operated by a private concessioner. Last time I was there, they were wrapped pretty tight around the axle; not exactly "user friendly."

Aquonehostel
02-28-2013, 15:50
Send your mail drop to us, you don't have to stay at the hostel, we will get your drop to you, Wayah Gap, Burningtown Gap and Telico Gap ....... 63 Britannia Drive, Aquone NC 28781.....No charge, enjoy your hike,...Steve & Maggie 828 321 2340

Sly
02-28-2013, 16:06
Muskrat Creek Hostel which was opened for a year is closed.

The Standing Indian Campground is listed as open in April. You'd only be asking for trouble if you send a package before that. Best to go into Franklin or send a package to Aquone Hostel

Sly
02-28-2013, 16:11
When I was there there were down vests, etc for sale at low prices in the store. I inquired about them and was told that the items were in packages that had not been claimed. So be ready for that to happen to your personal property if for some reason you don't get there at just the right time... I don't know of any other hostel that would do something like that but Standing Indian definitely dances to a different drummer.

I know of other places that do it, but it's generally well after the ETA. Not that I particularly agree but what do you expect them to do with packages that haven't been picked up?

Werdigo
03-07-2013, 11:22
Muskrat Creek Hostel which was opened for a year is closed.

The Standing Indian Campground is listed as open in April. You'd only be asking for trouble if you send a package before that. Best to go into Franklin or send a package to Aquone Hostel

A few weeks ago, from the Standing Indian Campground website I used the "Contact Us" option to ask about opening, drops, etc., and received the following nice reply:

You are correct that the Standing Indian campground does not open until April 1st. However no one will be at the campground that soon to accept packages. Actually, I am not even sure the campground store will be open that first month of business. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Myra Cook

It looks like a nice place, but not for my (or most AT'ers') purpose.