PDA

View Full Version : Is pack/gear theft/robbery an issue on the trail?.

todd52
02-15-2013, 19:10
Pack/gear theft/robbery.

I'm not planning on doing a hike at this point in my life but this was always a major fear of mine. I am a small, older, disabled fellow who would be hiking alone and not carrying anything to defend myself and I have been wondering about a scenario such as the folowing example...

I get on the trail and after a few days I end up in some fairly remote area. Perhaps it's getting dark and I'm unable to make it to the nearest shelter. No phone signal either. I'm walking along minding my own business when suddenly one or two guys walk up on me (or I happen to stumble onto them). Perhaps they pounce on me right away or even spend a few minutes trying to chat me up and make me feel at ease before they pounce on me.

At any rate, they produce a weapon (or just physically overpower me) or threaten/intimidate me so that I end up having to turn my pack/gear over to them. I mean, what other choice would I have but to turn my pack/gear over in a situation like that?.

Ok, so maybe I walk away unharmed BUT now I am in a remote area and have nothing to either survive with or continue my hike. In other words, it's over. Trip ruined.

I'm also concerned about the shelters. I can see where where a lot of people crammed together like that could maybe start to get on each other's nerves (snoring, talking to loud, loud music, maybe someone is drunk or thinks they "own" the shelter, someone in a bad mood, etc).

Any thoughts on this type of situation/options?.

SCRUB HIKER
02-15-2013, 19:26
I'm sure it's happened before on the trail, probably even to someone on this forum, but I think that overall the theft of packs is more of a threat in towns and when camping near roads, even small dirt roads. There will be exceptions to this rule, but on the whole I think people are too lazy to steal large/heavy pieces of gear that they would have to hike out themselves. But if they have access to a car, theft becomes much a much more convenient proposition. Small, expensive (and therefore easy to steal/conceal/hike out) electronics are another story--I've always been careful not to flash mine around too much no matter where I am if there are other people around. I always sleep with them somewhere that would be hard to reach without disturbing me.

So I think the more remote you are, the less likely it is you'll have everything stolen off your back. And it's unlikely to begin with--I've only ever heard of individual items being stolen from hikers.

This is all just conjecture. I don't know anything about crime statistics on-trail (I doubt anyone really does). But it's common sense that roads and towns would be relative problem areas for theft.

bobp
02-15-2013, 19:28
Pack/gear theft/robbery.

I'm not planning on doing a hike at this point in my life but this was always a major fear of mine. I am a small, older, disabled fellow who would be hiking alone and not carrying anything to defend myself and I have been wondering about a scenario such as the folowing example...

I get on the trail and after a few days I end up in some fairly remote area. Perhaps it's getting dark and I'm unable to make it to the nearest shelter. No phone signal either. I'm walking along minding my own business when suddenly one or two guys walk up on me (or I happen to stumble onto them). Perhaps they pounce on me right away or even spend a few minutes trying to chat me up and make me feel at ease before they pounce on me.

At any rate, they produce a weapon (or just physically overpower me) or threaten/intimidate me so that I end up having to turn my pack/gear over to them. I mean, what other choice would I have but to turn my pack/gear over in a situation like that?.

Ok, so maybe I walk away unharmed BUT now I am in a remote area and have nothing to either survive with or continue my hike. In other words, it's over. Trip ruined.

I'm also concerned about the shelters. I can see where where a lot of people crammed together like that could maybe start to get on each other's nerves (snoring, talking to loud, loud music, maybe someone is drunk or thinks they "own" the shelter, someone in a bad mood, etc).

Any thoughts on this type of situation/options?.

It seems unlikely. If I want to whomp on someone, I would go to some place with a lot of people, pick a likely victim, tail him or her to a relatively quiet place, and whomp. Basically, I would look for a shopping mall.
I would have to be one strange cat to hike a few miles into a remote location, look over the few people wacky enough to hike by (many of whom are really fit and would probably not take a good whomping), pick a victim, wait for the victim to become isolated, and then whomp said victim for used backpacking gear (including funk-infested clothing) worth at best a grand or so, assuming I could sell it.
And bear in mind that the AT runs up the East Coast -- it isn't Everest-remote.

I'm not saying that it can't happen. I am saying that it is way less likely than,say, projectile diarrhea from improper hygiene.

Take a weekend hike and stay in a shelter. See what it is like. Why be afraid of the unknown, when you can easily gain experience with it?

kayak karl
02-15-2013, 19:31
i feel safer on the trail then in a city, but i have thoughts about those two guys stalking me. when they pounce on me i take them out and also save the damsel in distress. then there is a thread on WB about me being a hero. goes to 20,000 posts. they plan a parade, but i usually wake up at this point. :)

Dogwood
02-15-2013, 20:24
I've never heard of anyone in the U.S. getting robbed of their pack at gun or knife pt. while on trail. When scumb@gs rip off packs its usually at a TH or in town when you've left your pack unattended. Don't EVER leave your pack unattended particularly OFF trail and in town and the issue basically is nil. Don't sweat it.

WILLIAM HAYES
02-15-2013, 20:29
not a problem

Dogwood
02-15-2013, 20:29
Now, if I only can catch those mofos who throw shart(beer bottles, handful of pennies, McDonalds garbage bag, soda cans, Big Gulps, milk shake, etc at you when you are alongside the road hitching, walking, bicycling, changing a flat tire I might be guilty of murder. Oh, just one time. It'll all come out in a beating they will not soon forget.

todd52
02-15-2013, 20:57
I've never heard of anyone in the U.S. getting robbed of their pack at gun or knife pt. while on trail. When scumb@gs rip off packs its usually at a TH or in town when you've left your pack unattended. Don't EVER leave your pack unattended particularly OFF trail and in town and the issue basically is nil. Don't sweat it.

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like it's relatively safe. Just curious though, what is "TH"?. Also, I'm a bit confused about the whole "never leave your pack unattented" thing. It seems like either you need to walk with and sleep with your pack and have it with you at all times to avoid theft or you have to hang it from a rope over a tree (or keep it in a bin) to keep it away from bears and other wildlife in which case it wouldn't be with you (ie; you would be asleep and someone could just cut the line/break into the bin and make off with your pack. Yes?.

MuddyWaters
02-15-2013, 21:16
Who wants to carry 2 packs?
How would someone carry 2 packs?
People dont even want to carry whats in their own pack, much less add anything to it.

Its unlikely to be done by even a dishonest hiker, for that reason.

A vagrant, maybe.
Some local scum, maybe.
Thats why these things are more likely to happen near road crossings.

todd52
02-15-2013, 21:35
People dont even want to carry whats in their own pack, much less add anything to it.

Its unlikely to be done by even a dishonest hiker, for that reason.

A vagrant, maybe.
Some local scum, maybe.
Thats why these things are more likely to happen near road crossings.

You know, I hadn't thought of that for whatever reason but that's a really good point!.

Pingus
02-15-2013, 21:43
Too many people fear what may happen on the trail. Until they are on it. And then they fear what is not on the trail. Hike. Enjoy. :)

mother goose
02-15-2013, 21:44
After a little while on the trail you look like the people everyone is afraid of.

Slo-go'en
02-15-2013, 22:04
Unattended packs have been stolen - the culprits are bears and what they want is your food.

No one else out in the woods is going to take your stuff. They have thier own stuff and they sure as heck don't want to carry yours too.

yellowsirocco
02-15-2013, 23:26
Town is the only time I am worried about my pack.

Carl Calson
02-15-2013, 23:32
don't send you packages to The Home Place in Virginia

Dogwood
02-16-2013, 00:38
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like it's relatively safe. Just curious though, what is "TH"?. Also, I'm a bit confused about the whole "never leave your pack unattented" thing. It seems like either you need to walk with and sleep with your pack and have it with you at all times to avoid theft or you have to hang it from a rope over a tree (or keep it in a bin) to keep it away from bears and other wildlife in which case it wouldn't be with you (ie; you would be asleep and someone could just cut the line/break into the bin and make off with your pack. Yes?.

TH - Trail Head(usually at a road)
Don't leave your pack unattended, like when going into a restaurant, grocery store, transportation station, etc in town. Look at what I said, "on trail", like with other hikers, pack theft is pretty much unheard of. Da bears can sometimes run away with a pack in some areas but even that usually isn't a HUGH problem. SOME places it's a real concern though. Once you've had a pack ripped off jammed with expensive UL gear you tend to to look at things a little differently. Think of your pack as your kitchen, food, shelter, warmth, protection, etc and it will be VERY VALUABLE to you that you'll want to safeguard it. I think of it as a means to survive anywhere anytime.

Oh, if hitchhiking hold on to your pack getting into and out of a vehicle whenever possible. For example, try to avoid throwing your pack into the vehicle, back seat, rear of pick up, etc ahead of you getting into the vehicle. Gut check your ride or potential ride. And, if you are in the habit of storing gear/stuff on the outside of your pack ALWAYS make sure you have it ALL BEFORE hiking on after having taken your pack off!

todd52
02-16-2013, 01:48
TH - Trail Head(usually at a road)
Don't leave your pack unattended, like when going into a restaurant, grocery store, transportation station, etc in town. Look at what I said, "on trail", like with other hikers, pack theft is pretty much unheard of. Da bears can sometimes run away with a pack in some areas but even that usually isn't a HUGH problem. SOME places it's a real concern though. Once you've had a pack ripped off jammed with expensive UL gear you tend to to look at things a little differently. Think of your pack as your kitchen, food, shelter, warmth, protection, etc and it will be VERY VALUABLE to you that you'll want to safeguard it. I think of it as a means to survive anywhere anytime.

Oh, if hitchhiking hold on to your pack getting into and out of a vehicle whenever possible. For example, try to avoid throwing your pack into the vehicle, back seat, rear of pick up, etc ahead of you getting into the vehicle. Gut check your ride or potential ride. And, if you are in the habit of storing gear/stuff on the outside of your pack ALWAYS make sure you have it ALL BEFORE hiking on after having taken your pack off!

Good advice!. Funny, I just came in here and was going to ask about the hitch-hiking thing and then saw your bit about hitch-hiking. This was another concern. Getting to the trailhead. I wouldn't want some guy driving off with my pack and yes, your pack (with all your gear) is definately a life-line. I wonder what I'd say if some guy said "sure, I'll give you a ride...just throw your pack in the back there and hop in". I'm trying to think of a polite way to say "sorry, but my pack stays with me" without looking like I'm looking a gifthorse in the mouth. Kind of an awkward situation I suppose.

Hosaphone
02-16-2013, 02:51
I wonder what I'd say if some guy said "sure, I'll give you a ride...just throw your pack in the back there and hop in". I'm trying to think of a polite way to say "sorry, but my pack stays with me" without looking like I'm looking a gifthorse in the mouth. Kind of an awkward situation I suppose.

It's cool, I can put it on my lap, no problem.

Dogwood
02-16-2013, 05:12
It's cool, I can put it on my lap, no problem.

Absolutely. I get rides and hold my pack on my lap quite often. Actually, prefer it that way. Just gotta play it right/feel it out if you are in the front or rear seat with your pack on your lap because sometimes it alarms some rides wondering what you might go for in your pack. Which is why if I go into my pack when getting a ride and I sense the ride is concerned about me or what I'm doing I'll usually make it a point to say something like I got my wallet, medications, etc I've got to get out of my pack.

I also like having my pack with me when taking a bus, train, or flight. I prefer having my pack within arms reach. It sometimes contains non-hiking items that I'll desire when traveling. Another benefit/reason to have a small low volume low wt kit is having the ability for it to comfortably fit on the seat next to you, on your lap, in the overhead, on the floor in front of you, etc. I've lost quite a few pocket knives by not checking my pack on flights but twice had gear missing from inside my pack on flights after I checked my pack as baggage. Rather give up a $20 pocket knife to TSA than check my pack. Greyhound lost my pack once. Took two day in two states before I tracked it down. I really prefer not letting some of those gorilla Samsonite baggage handlers, ESPECIALLY some of those at GREYHOUND at my pack. My pack and what's in it is a GREAT benefit to me. As such, I treat it and what's in it as an extension of me which is also the way I hike.

Dogwood
02-16-2013, 05:24
People dont even want to carry whats in their own pack, much less add anything to it. Muddy Waters

Actually, I've seen it a few times on trail. Most notably, I saw Billy Goat of PCT fame doing it with two of his own loaded packs attempting to double hike PCT sections, from one TH to the next and then turn and rehike what he just hiked. Not kidding. Twice, have seen male hikers carrying not only their own loaded packs but their GF's pack at the same time either in their hand or strapped to the top of their own packs. One guy had to be hauling in excess of 100 lbs between the two packs. What we won't do for love.

Bosman
02-16-2013, 12:15
Fear is a disabler. When you leave the house in your car do you fear you might get in an accident? After 911 did you decide to no longer fly? I think it best to live life and let it take you where it takes you because it will anyway.

SOBO_Pace
02-16-2013, 12:17
There was a guy who had his pack stolen in Lincoln, nh this year while he was checking in to a hotel. Also a guy had almost all of his food stolen in the middle of the night in the 100 mile wilderness. There was a guy around our group that was practically bragging about how all of his grip was stolen.

WalksInDark
02-16-2013, 14:08
If somebody stole my pack....all I would have to do is walk down the trail 30 minutes in either direction...and there it would be.

Funny how few dwarfs want to carry a 40-50# pack very far.

In spite of all that: the info on holding on to your pack while hitchhiking; keeping an eye on your pack while eating; not leaving your pack where you can't see it; are all great advice!

daddytwosticks
02-16-2013, 14:48
Nobody's going to steal my pack while hiking. After a few days on the trail, it usually smells like armpits and azzholes. :)

Hairbear
02-17-2013, 07:52
I have never had anything stolen from me,but i do put out a screw with me at your own risk type body language. Thieves look for easy targets ,not one that could possibly put them at risk. When people are sizing you up dont be shy,give them your best preditor stare, they will wait for a target that wont take a bite out of their crime.

"Atlas"
02-17-2013, 12:37
OP is from Atlanta. I would be more concerned there than anywhere on the Trail.

Hitching, I spent a few days hitching across Virginia last summer. Close to the Trail it was simple and felt safe. The closer to the I-95 corridor the harder it was and the more worried I became....I did have one lady ( I was picked up by women, alone 4x's more than any other group) tell me she wasn't going to pick me up because I looked like a bum......but she saw the Trekking poles. she said "Bums dont have Trekking poles worth a hundred dollars"

FEAR is the real Factor in concerns of theft.

02-17-2013, 12:58
Thief's are lazy enough said there. So what can really happen? Accidents, 8 tired folks sitting at the picnic table, one packs up "your", stove, or filter, of cup or lighter or what ever, totally accident, totally Innocent and it happens. I say mark your stuff big marks, everyone's stuff looks the same and folks are tired adding to thoughtlessness. I have had my hiking poles walk off, spork, pot titanium, lighter. And even a entire bag of food hung on the cable. I did get it all back but it was uncomfortable to have to ask everyone to please check there gear - I think someone may have picked up my _____. I now tie a color surveyor string around most items even the hole in the spork. water bottles even all my sacks have a color string very easy for folks to recognize hay this one is not mine.

02-17-2013, 13:00
I have never had anything stolen from me,but i do put out a screw with me at your own risk type body language. Thieves look for easy targets ,not one that could possibly put them at risk. When people are sizing you up dont be shy,give them your best preditor stare, they will wait for a target that wont take a bite out of their crime.
Yea wear your NRA hat that says "beware I am packing"

Malto
02-17-2013, 13:23
Never had a single worry on the trail, I suspect that hikers stealing gear would be treated like horse thieves in the wild west. I do get nervous leaving my pack outside stores and restaurants in town and generally keep a close eye on my pack. Never had a problem so far.

Del Q
02-17-2013, 19:17
Not sure if this is a result of being from Philadelphia or my normal, constant safety paranoia.............just the way I roll I guess.

My pack is rarely out of my sight, better safe than sorry right?

gizzy bear
02-18-2013, 11:59
There was a guy who had his pack stolen in Lincoln, nh this year while he was checking in to a hotel. Also a guy had almost all of his food stolen in the middle of the night in the 100 mile wilderness. There was a guy around our group that was practically bragging about how all of his grip was stolen.

just curious where you heard the info referencing the HMW? especially since we have a trip planned there and it is coming up...so what your sources were and how the hell does that happen?!?! i would think if someone stole my pack, i (carrying NO pack) could catch up to someone carrying a double load, rather quickly...just wondering...

gizzy bear
02-18-2013, 12:03

just curious where you heard the info referencing the HMW? especially since we have a trip planned there and it is coming up...so what were your sources and how the hell does that happen?!?! i would think if someone stole my pack, i (carrying NO pack) could catch up to someone carrying a double load, rather quickly...just wondering...

gizzy bear
02-18-2013, 12:04
oops!!! i DOUBLE POSTED....looks like i killed a kitteh :confused:

WhiteSpear
02-18-2013, 12:07
What about when you're resupplying at shopping marts in town? It seems to me that most large chain stores would be uncomfortable letting smelly bum like hikers wandering their store with a 70L pack to potentially fill up with shoplifted goods.

Mountain Mike
02-18-2013, 12:10
What about when you're resupplying at shopping marts in town? It seems to me that most large chain stores would be uncomfortable letting smelly bum like hikers wandering their store with a 70L pack to potentially fill up with shoplifted goods.
As at courtesy desk if you can stash it under your cart or if they have a safe place to store it. Or if with multiple hikers take shifts.

& try your best to clean up first. Try to shower at a hostel, do laundry, etc.

RED-DOG
02-18-2013, 12:35
Do not leave your pack alone, take it everywhere's even to the privy, packs gets stolen alot especially at road crossings when someone stashes their pack to walk to an store, DO NOT LEAVE IT ALONE NOT EVEN FOR TWO MINUTES, as for the shelters most people are pretty cool, except for the section hiker who comes in at two o clock and wakes everyone up.

Creek Dancer
02-18-2013, 13:19
After a little while on the trail you look like the people everyone is afraid of.

And you will have earned the esteemed title "hiker trash", along with a bumper sticker that says "I am the hiker that the rangers warned you about". :banana

RED-DOG
02-18-2013, 13:34
Most grocery stores will let you bring it in as long as you leave it in your cart, i have never had any problems at stores.

BryanR
02-18-2013, 13:39
Best way to keep thieves away from your pack while in a quick stop in town IMHO? Hang your 'trail' clothes and dirty socks to the outside of the pack.... simple, easy, effective. I guess you could also just keep an eye on it?

88BlueGT
02-18-2013, 22:16
Too many people fear what may happen on the trail. Until they are on it. And then they fear what is not on the trail. Hike. Enjoy. :)

just to let you know, if there was a quote of the year award... I would nominate you for this.

This is now on the top of my 3'x3' dry erase board.

88BlueGT
02-18-2013, 22:25

Thank you!

SunnyWalker
02-19-2013, 00:49
Todd52, I think youo've seen to many movies and have a real active imagination. Statistics inform us you are more in danger of getting mugged, robbed, run over, etc., in any town or on any road in America rather than any real hiking trail. SO . . . IF YOU MAN ENOUGH YOU CAN JOIN US . . . WE MIGHT LET YOU COME OUT AND HIKE . . . ON OUR TRAILS . . . . Common buddy, don't be a Wuss!

Dogwood
02-19-2013, 04:03
That was a good quote. So true. I'll have to write that down too.

FlyPaper
02-19-2013, 11:52
Pack theft, as with other kinds of theft have to be either a "crime of opportunity" or a planned theft.

If you are a mile or more from the road, anyone there who might steal your pack didn't just happen by. They were them self hiking.
If they have a pack themselves, they aren't going to be able to easily carry yours too, especially all the way out of the woods
before you can catch them (or before they think you might be able to catch them).

If they do not have a pack, perhaps they were dayhiking and see an opportunity. But still, stealing a pack would be a big risk
to them. They now have to carry a heavy load and be confident they can outrun the angry hiker that's going to be looking for them.
Few casual thieves would take that risk.

But consider the possibility of a deliberately planned theft. Someone would have to set out a mile or more down a difficult trail, without
their own pack (so as to be ready to carry what they steal), and they would have to do this on the hope that they MIGHT come across
an unattended pack before they get too tired to keep searching.

I say both "crime of opportunity" and deliberately planned backpack theft are both very unlikely if you're not very close to a road or town.

If I leave my pack unattended (say at a blue blaze to go get water), I may take my wallet, but generally don't worry about someone taking my whole pack.

MDSection12
02-19-2013, 12:19
If I go for a day hike and leave my pack somewhere I generally walk it 50 yards or so into the woods and try to put it in a low spot, with some coverage from a bush or something... Other than that no worries.

Slo-go'en
02-19-2013, 12:58
If I go for a day hike and leave my pack somewhere I generally walk it 50 yards or so into the woods and try to put it in a low spot, with some coverage from a bush or something... Other than that no worries.

I've stashed my pack a little off the trail near road crossings many a time to do a walk to a store which might be up to a mile away. You just have to remember where you stashed it! And hope a bear doesn't find it!

Really, there is little or nothing in an average pack which can be sold for quick cash, so unless someone just wants to be an A$$, there isn't any reason to steal a pack.

88BlueGT
02-19-2013, 13:33
I've stashed my pack a little off the trail near road crossings many a time to do a walk to a store which might be up to a mile away. You just have to remember where you stashed it! And hope a bear doesn't find it!

Really, there is little or nothing in an average pack which can be sold for quick cash, so unless someone just wants to be an A$$, there isn't any reason to steal a pack.

This is true...