PDA

View Full Version : Carvers Gap to 19E

tridavis
02-15-2013, 20:07
We are taking a scout troop to do this section next weekend, 22-24. Is there, or will there be, snow on the trail......and how much. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Davis

Maddoxsjohnston
02-15-2013, 22:47
Probably not that much. The weather forecast calls for some snow tonight and tomorrow, and then none until next weekend. So I'm pretty sure you should be fine, enjoy your hike.

winger
02-17-2013, 11:38
We are taking a scout troop to do this section next weekend, 22-24. Is there, or will there be, snow on the trail......and how much. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Davis

Weather conditions in this area change rapidly this time of year, check the forecast a couple of days ahead is the safest thing.

ajwatson
02-17-2013, 12:37
Roan Mountain is gonna be COLD. But I'm sure y'all know that ;) Absolutely the most beautiful stretch of trail I've seen in the Appalachians, though I may be a little biased...

Asheville got some snow yesterday, but nothing too substantial. I was hiking up at 5,000 feet yesterday near Mt. Mitchell, and there was no snow on the ground.

Grits
02-17-2013, 21:33
Thanks,
Davis

I talked with a friend who lives near the over the mountain shelter and he said there was lots of snow around the humps and the temps next weekend are going to be lows in the lower 20s and highs in the mid 30s.
http://averyweather.com/Forecast/Beech+Mountain

Tennessee Viking
02-18-2013, 09:51
There is a guy that lives on the road up to Carvers Gap that does weather/trail updates around the Roan area to Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roan-Mountain-Carvers-Gap/166751740033586?ref=stream

He reports lots of snow and wind as of the 17th.

I would highly discourage any first time scout trips to Roan right now. There is lots of snow. And temps and windchills are extremely cold. And snow drifts can be very deep in the open areas and balds.

I would actually recommend a Roan trip until after Damascus Trail Days after the crowd comes through. If you do go before Trail Days, I would highly suggest camping away from shelters or any large camps of hikers to give them first dibs.