PDA

View Full Version : White House landing

Fur Queue
02-15-2013, 20:18
I saw recently that White House landing is for sale....does anybody know if it will be open as usual this year?

Pingus
02-15-2013, 21:56
White House Landing has been for sale for years. The owners have been openly marketing it for years, especially to every hiker that shows up on their dock. It is a beautiful place for sure but I really wouldn't recommend it to any hikier that is just enjoying their time on the trail. The husband in particular is quite unpleasant and you'll likely find yourself wishing you hadn't stopped. Just my 3 cents.

tds1195
02-15-2013, 23:02
White House Landing has been for sale for years. The owners have been openly marketing it for years, especially to every hiker that shows up on their dock. It is a beautiful place for sure but I really wouldn't recommend it to any hikier that is just enjoying their time on the trail. The husband in particular is quite unpleasant and you'll likely find yourself wishing you hadn't stopped. Just my 3 cents.

All the more reason for someone more friendly to take it over, eh? Haha

Marta
02-15-2013, 23:42
I had a very pleasant stay there.

Almost There
02-15-2013, 23:44
Gotta agree with Marta. Stayed two nights in 2008, and they were plenty friendly.

hikerboy57
02-15-2013, 23:46
i found them to be very pleasant.and the cheeseburgers awesome

Jeff
02-16-2013, 08:18
White House Landing is a unique stop along the AT and should not be missed. It is expensive due to its remote location. Bill can be a bit moody but his wife Linda is most accomodating.

takethisbread
02-16-2013, 08:52
I felt similarly, but I'd be damn moody if I lived there and had to deal with whiny hikers all season. Drunken 22 year old buffoons marching in your house acting like they have the world figured out cuz they graduated from college and walked 2,000 miles . Either way it's a nice place, but honestly, weather not being a factor , I would probably skip it if there again. I think a factor hurting their business might be the AMC expansion into the area. I would love to go hunt and fish in that area for sure.

SouthMark
02-16-2013, 08:59
My stay there was the highlight of the 100 mw. The food was great and both Bill & Linda were nice. I think that Bill is an introvert and as such comes across to some as unpleasant. Linda is just the opposite and is very outgoing. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would love to return to do a multi-lake kayaking tour.

10-K
02-16-2013, 10:41
I had a pretty good stay there.

The only thing I found annoying is every time I'd get near their resupply food someone would come out and watch me like a hawk like I was going to steal a pop tart or something.

Pingus
02-16-2013, 11:25
All the more reason for someone more friendly to take it over, eh? Haha

That's a good point. But the price is high. They want a million dollars for the business and property. And the property is on a land-lease with a large paper company. Which would make the purchase quite risky.
And yes, Linda is a lovely person, the food there is fantastic and a short canoe ride from there will generally yeild a moose or eagle sighting.

mrcoffeect
02-16-2013, 12:10
I met bill and linda and their son ben in 2008 while doing the hundred mile wilderness. great people, we became fast friends. And as a result in the last five years i've spent at least 30 days at their place working on different projects for Bill. From the roof on the lake shore cabin to building a garage. And i got to say they are some of the nicest people I've had the pleasure to meet while hiking the trail. And as for bill being grouchy, he's an old navy guy who runs a tight ship and works his ass off to make sure his place is as beautiful as the wilderness that surrounds you. I would bet that most people who have had a problem are younger with a childish view of what the world owes them, or older people with a childish view of what the world owes them.

Fur Queue
02-16-2013, 12:13
I met bill and linda and their son ben in 2008 while doing the hundred mile wilderness. great people, we became fast friends. And as a result in the last five years i've spent at least 30 days at their place working on different projects for Bill. From the roof on the lake shore cabin to building a garage. And i got to say they are some of the nicest people I've had the pleasure to meet while hiking the trail. And as for bill being grouchy, he's an old navy guy who runs a tight ship and works his ass off to make sure his place is as beautiful as the wilderness that surrounds you. I would bet that most people who have had a problem are younger with a childish view of what the world owes them, or older people with a childish view of what the world owes them.

Do you know of it will be buisness as usual this year....I am sort of counting on it as a resupply point...?

takethisbread
02-16-2013, 13:25
Correct. Additionally I might add anyone who has a $1 million to buy this joint has too much to run it as a hostel. That kind of money is a rich guy looking for a hunting cabin or selling to amc to turn into a money maker. r

mattmc89
02-19-2013, 12:36
Don't blow the horn twice, even if you wait over 30 minutes.

Razor
02-19-2013, 14:12
Yes but back to the original question does anyone have an 2013 update?

gizzy bear
02-19-2013, 14:26
Yes but back to the original question does anyone have an 2013 update?

yes...i would like to know as well, since we are contemplating a visit this year...

Jeff
02-19-2013, 14:32
I am sure AWOL contacted these folks and if there was a question about being open in 2013 it would have been mentioned in the AT Guide.

Sly
02-19-2013, 16:23
Whitehouse Landing was contacted by Companion field editors in 2012 for the 2013 edition and any changes have been updated

Maher Trail/Maher Tote Road/White House Landing Wilderness Camp—East 1.2 miles to
Lodging: White House Landing, (207) 745-5116. Northbound directions: Follow A.T.
2.8 miles north of Potaywadjo Spring Lean-to to third road north of lean-to, go east
0.2 mile on Maher Trail/Maher Tote Road to Pemadumcook Lake, follow lake shoreline
south 1.0 mile to boat dock. Southbound directions: Follow A.T. 1.5 miles south of
Nahmakanta Stream Campsite, go east 0.2 mile on Maher Trail/Maher Tote Road to
Pemadumcook Lake, follow lake shoreline south 1.0 mile to boat dock. At boat dock,
sound airhorn one short blast for ferry ride to camp; no ferry after dark. Owners Bill,
Linda, and Ben Ware offer bunkhouse $39pp, private rooms $49pp, includes AYCE B
and shower for guests only. L and grill menu 11–1; D for overnight guests only. Ice
cream, cold drinks, campstore (long-term resupply), butane/propane canister fuel,
denatured alcohol, white gas. No mail drops. Visa and MasterCard accepted; fee might
be charged.

Like any private resupply facility it's best to call before sending any packages.

WingedMonkey
02-19-2013, 16:36
Man up and carry your own supply for the 100 mile wilderness. It ain't all wilderness, but it ain't called the 50 mile wilderness either.

:sun

10-K
02-19-2013, 16:49
Man up and carry your own supply for the 100 mile wilderness. It ain't all wilderness, but it ain't called the 50 mile wilderness either.

I was oggling the 1 lb whoppie pies...

Good job remembering the smiley.... :)

BTW, one of the noisiest nights I had on the entire AT was camping near a road in the hundred mile wilderness. I forget where it was but it was near a campground that had a store that had recently closed. Cars drove by all night long.

WingedMonkey
02-19-2013, 16:57

BTW, one of the noisiest nights I had on the entire AT was camping near a road in the hundred mile wilderness. I forget where it was but it was near a campground that had a store that had recently closed. Cars drove by all night long.

Well you are an exception. I don't think your little pack can carry ten days of food, even that stuff you cook on an Esbit. You could never go that long.

:banana:banana:banana

Lando11
02-19-2013, 16:58

mmm 1 lbs whoopie pies. every hikers dream

After the trail I was at a pizza shop in Concord, NH that had massive whoopie pies (for 3$) that they estimated at 5000ish calories! These things were about 8 by 3 inches. They looked like a cream (dream?) filled discus

Miner
02-19-2013, 17:13
I stopped by in late August 2012 for lunch and resupply. From talking with the guy, they seemed to be planning to be opened this year as he was talking about an upgrade to their credit card system for next season (ie. no longer having to telephone call a credit card number in for a high fee) that would lower the cost of using one.

4Bears
02-19-2013, 20:01
Just checked the Whitehouse Landing web site and no news about the upcoming season, in fact it doesn't look like it has been updated for a couple years. http://whitehouselanding.com/index.html

camp mom
03-12-2013, 17:07
Just want to post that Whitehouse Landing Camps are open this hiker season...Thanks Linda & Bill Ware

WILLIAM HAYES
03-14-2013, 00:44
I stayed there when i did the 100 mile wilderness-Bill and Linda were great they were friendly and helpful . The food was great
Hillbilly

stumpknocker
03-14-2013, 05:46
My stay there was the highlight of the 100 mw. The food was great and both Bill & Linda were nice. I think that Bill is an introvert and as such comes across to some as unpleasant. Linda is just the opposite and is very outgoing. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would love to return to do a multi-lake kayaking tour.

White House Landing has always been my favorite place to stop on the whole Appalachian Trail. Bill and Linda are some of the nicest people I know.

Take the canoe out before dusk and you can watch Katahdin fade away for the night....beautiful!!

I had a pretty good stay there.

The only thing I found annoying is every time I'd get near their resupply food someone would come out and watch me like a hawk like I was going to steal a pop tart or something.

Nothing wrong with keeping a tally of goods in a business. Bill and Linda have a correct total waiting like any business should.

I always had to get after Steve Longley when it was time to settle up at his place. He would give me an amount I owed and it would ALWAYS be much less than it should have been. I had to go down his list and figure what he wasn't charging me for. He would have lost $10 to $15.00 each time on just me. Can you imagine how much he must have lost over the years??

Think Keith Shaw didn't keep a tally??

Do you know of it will be buisness as usual this year....I am sort of counting on it as a resupply point...?

Your question about White House Landing being open this year has been answered already as yes. I ALWAYS resupply there whether I'm walking north that year or walking south. It's about 70 miles from Monson for a nobo and about 30 miles from Abol Bridge for a sobo. I also pack out a pizza for the first night's dinner out of White House Landing no matter which way I'm heading.

Whitehouse Landing was contacted by Companion field editors in 2012 for the 2013 edition and any changes have been updated

Like any private resupply facility it's best to call before sending any packages.

Sly....I don't believe they have accepted mail drops for years now.

I guess you could call it wilderness, but there sure are lots of people that drive to spots in "The Wilderness" in cars and a fair share of loggers and day hikers and lots of roads. A person can arrange to have a cache hidden for them or be picked up or dropped off there. It is more remote than most of the AT and nice walkin' though. :sun

Just want to post that Whitehouse Landing Camps are open this hiker season...Thanks Linda & Bill Ware

Hello Linda. :)

Sly
03-14-2013, 09:20
Sly....I don't believe they have accepted mail drops for years now.

Right, says so right in the description I quoted! (I think I was thrown off by one of the preceding questions)

Kerosene
03-15-2013, 11:28
Nice to see you're still alive & kickin' Stumpknocker!