PDA

View Full Version : Common Touron Sayings?

cleanshave
02-15-2013, 21:35
Hey guys n gals,

I'm looking for some of the common things tourist/morons aka tourons say to thru hikers. You know the same questions you get repeatedly every time you hitch into town for a food resupply or pass an overlook.

For instance, "How many miles a day do you hike?" "What do you eat?" "Can my fat son wear you backpack and hold your trekking poles so I can take a picture of him?"

I'm compiling a list for a short story I'm working on. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

kayak karl
02-15-2013, 21:40
"How many miles a day do you hike?" "What do you eat?"
you mean just like the questions asked on WB ?

max patch
02-15-2013, 22:05
Carol Moore, a 1998 thruhiker, designed the "Official AT Answers T Shirt" to be worn by thruhikers when they meet regular people. The answers were:

1. 15-20 miles a day
2. yes, i've seen bears
3. mac & cheese
4. 50 Lbs or so
5. in a tent
6. 4-6 months
7. over 2000 miles
8. yes, i walked here

I had one but its long since bit the dust.

Rain Man
02-15-2013, 22:11
How does asking "How many miles a day do you hike?" or "What do you eat?" make one a moron?

Rain Man

bfayer
02-15-2013, 22:27
How does asking "How many miles a day do you hike?" or "What do you eat?" make one a moron?

Rain Man

I was going to ask that. I have had thru hikers ask me those same questions.

Of course I am just a lowly weekend section hiker/touron :)

Odd Man Out
02-16-2013, 00:13
The Tourons are the ones who believe you when they ask "Did you have to carry your food all the way from Georgia?" and you say "Yes I did"

Mountain Mike
02-16-2013, 00:29
I always liked how do you carry enough food for five months?

Sarcasm the elf
02-16-2013, 00:35

Rain Man

In my experience it is the way the question is phrased that makes all the difference. I've had plenty of people ask what I eat, most were just curious about what makes a good trail food. However from the way the questions were asked, it was clear that a number of them believed I was hunting and foraging for all my food.

leaftye
02-16-2013, 07:48
Are you a thru hiker?
But you haven't actually thru hiked???

Old Hillwalker
02-16-2013, 07:54
What's that smell? The smell of death's around you, What's that smell?

garlic08
02-16-2013, 08:34
"But what do you do when it rains?"

Malto
02-16-2013, 09:00
1) are you by yourself?
2) what about bears?
3) are you carrying a gun?
4) are you carrying your food?
5) how many pairs of shoes?
6) how can you affordit?

Most of these aren't stupid questions but I would answerthesequestions on my shirt.

vamelungeon
02-16-2013, 11:35
Condescension because people don't enjoy the outdoors the same as you, or because they genuinely interested and ask questions to acquire knowledge? No thanks.

TEXMAN
02-16-2013, 11:41
In 2009 I started a thru hike .... I had never ever backpacked before, I had all the wrong gear and clothing. I had started growing my beard 2 weeks before I started the trail. On my second day hiking I was asked many of the same questions that have already been mentioned because the day hikers thought I was an expert just because I looked the part ... I look back on it now and I think many of my answers were as stupid as the questions so we were evenly matched...
Old Man River

tiptoe
02-16-2013, 12:22
Lighten up, folks. Just because you are a thru-hiker doesn't make you a superior being. Not everyone is into long-distance hiking. Why not take the attitude that you can educate people you meet up with and maybe get them interested in learning more?

slow mind
02-16-2013, 12:25
But Chris ..... you are a professional Touron are you not?

Derrick

BirdBrain
02-16-2013, 12:32

Rain Man

Perhaps if I asked the question .....

treesloth
02-16-2013, 12:35
"How many miles a day do you hike?" "What do you eat?"
you mean just like the questions asked on WB ?

Lol, well said KK. Thread drift acknowledged, I honestly don't know how some of you WB veterans show so much patience for the inexperienced people that get on here and just blurt out the same old questions. Questions about BASIC info that could easily be found by searching threads or just doing some honest research on the plethora of internet sites available.

leaftye
02-16-2013, 12:39
Lol, well said KK. Thread drift acknowledged, I honestly don't know how some of you WB veterans show so much patience for the inexperienced people that get on here and just blurt out the same old questions. Questions about BASIC info that could easily be found by searching threads or just doing some honest research on the plethora of internet sites available.

There's no point in a discussion forum without discussion. Those that want people to search are just sitting idly on their hands instead of creating a wiki with all their wonderful wisdom and the answers to frequently asked questions. So ask away. It's what we're here for.

BirdBrain
02-16-2013, 12:47
There's no point in a discussion forum without discussion. Those that want people to search are just sitting idly on their hands instead of creating a wiki with all their wonderful wisdom and the answers to frequently asked questions. So ask away. It's what we're here for.

+1 on that. Yes the question has been asked before. Yes people answer it time and time. However, eventually a new opinion comes in that changes everything. This happened to me recently while reading the umpteen millionth bear questions threads. Someone posted a 97 minute video (sorry forgot OP) that changed my "set in stone" opinion. And no, I ain't bringing up the opinion and starting another fight. Point is, if don't like the topic, stay away from it. There are certain topics I read every opinion on and hope for further threads on.

jeffmeh
02-16-2013, 12:50
I also find the condescending attitude distasteful. Questions born of curiosity or sincere interest do not qualify as foolish questions. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkBul7B3eK4)

HikerMom58
02-16-2013, 12:58
+1 on that. Yes the question has been asked before. Yes people answer it time and time. However, eventually a new opinion comes in that changes everything. This happened to me recently while reading the umpteen millionth bear questions threads. Someone posted a 97 minute video (sorry forgot OP) that changed my "set in stone" opinion. And no, I ain't bringing up the opinion and starting another fight. Point is, if don't like the topic, stay away from it. There are certain topics I read every opinion on and hope for further threads on.

Agree ^ It was slow mind that posted the video,BB. That was awesome!!! Thank you slow mind!!!

I also find the condescending attitude distasteful. Questions born of curiosity or sincere interest do not qualify as foolish questions. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkBul7B3eK4)

Agree^ I was thinking this exact thought but didn't know how to express it. You expressed what I was thinking perfectly! Thanks jeffmeh! :)

BirdBrain
02-16-2013, 13:08
Agree ^ It was slow mind that posted the video,BB. That was awesome!!! Thank you slow mind!!!

Thanks for reminder and giving proper credit. He proved the worth of asking these questions over and over. He even apologized for posting it while posting it. It was one of the most useful posts to me personally that I have found on Whiteblaze. Keep asking the questions guys.

swjohnsey
02-16-2013, 13:11
Folks who pick you up are generally really nice. Many of them live in trail towns and know about thru-hikers.

WingedMonkey
02-16-2013, 14:07

Rain Man

I find it more entertaining when the ones giving the answers based on what they read on Trail Journals or Facebook, or maybe even here.

At some point you feel like you have to tell the questioner "don't listen to any of that".

:sun

Coffee Rules!
02-16-2013, 14:14
tourist/morons aka tourons

I see the impression I got of you from reading your crappy book was pretty accurate.

ChinMusic
02-16-2013, 14:18
I just politely answer the questions. If I want to change the subject I just say, "How 'bout those Cubs?"

brian039
02-16-2013, 14:23
Guy on motorcycle in Shennandoah: (He pulls up to me and the first thing he says is:) Hey, can you tell me how to get to Asheville from here?

Me: I'm not really sure but I think you can just take this road south all the way there. (We were on Skyline Dr)

Guy: Oh, ok. What are you doing out here, just camping and stuff?

Me: I'm headed to Maine.

Guy: Cranks motorcycle back up without saying a word and leaves.

Lyle
02-16-2013, 16:07
I would much prefer folks to ask these seemingly silly questions than make up their own story. No question is a bad question.

Sarcasm the elf
02-16-2013, 18:45
Here's a link to a similar thread from last year:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?79918-So-You-re-walking-to-Maine-!/page2

Sarcasm the elf
02-16-2013, 18:49
This too:

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/12633631/im-going-to-hike-the-appalachian-trail

hikerboy57
02-16-2013, 18:54
Lighten up, folks. Just because you are a thru-hiker doesn't make you a superior being. Not everyone is into long-distance hiking. Why not take the attitude that you can educate people you meet up with and maybe get them interested in learning more?
agreed.sometimes they themselves have some useful information to share.

Lone Wolf
02-16-2013, 18:58

yeah i agree. thru=hikers say and do a lot of stupid ****

"Atlas"
02-16-2013, 19:39
While out prep hiking in a park today, in the snow and rain, someone asked me " How is the Hunting along the trail?" and "You hike in the Rain too?"

SunnyWalker
02-16-2013, 20:00
The idea that non-thru hikers who ask questions of thru-hikers are morons is kind of moronic.

BradMT
02-16-2013, 21:28
"Touron"... interesting term. Nothing like a little condescension to make one feel important.

Truly pathetic...

Prime Time
02-16-2013, 22:16
I don't know, it seems ungracious to me to belittle someone asking an innocent question of a topic where perhaps they're just curious. A thru hiker is sort of a "professional" hiker. This seems rather "unprofessional".

Coffee Rules!
02-16-2013, 22:30
This seems rather "unprofessional".

Fits right in with what he showed in his book.

aficion
02-16-2013, 22:33
"Touron"... interesting term. Nothing like a little condescension to make one feel important.

Truly pathetic... A Touron who picks you up and gives you a lift is doing more good than an ATouron thru who believes hi s@#$ don't stink.

SunnyWalker
02-16-2013, 22:53
How about a nice person is picking you up and giving you a lift. Common courtesy would say maybe it would be nice to answer their questions in the hopes of promoting hiking and also because maybe someday you will be as nice as they.

cleanshave
02-16-2013, 22:58
Thanks for the feedback people, I esp. liked the Tshirt idea with the answers printed on them. Pretty funny.

As far as condescending? It was in no way meant to be condescending. Most people, the so called tourons, genuinely are interested and if we don't share with those we meet then they might never consider getting out of their car and going for their own hike. Tourons is simply a slang term I heard that gets thrown around and I thought it interesting enough to write a short story about what I thought the term might imply. (A term I did not invent, in fact it is found on the old AT trail slang glossary http://www.adventurematters.com/infoglossary.htm )

I thought the discussion might be fun and bring back some funny stories about hiker interactions with people that tend to see the world through the window of their car. Fun, you know, like being out in the woods and enjoying life?

And slow mind, I wish I was a professional touron...

Tuckahoe
02-16-2013, 23:00
First thing that I would like to point out is that its the thru hiker who is actually the tourist. And as pointed out they are pretty good at doing and saying stupid things. I suppose it is easy to be a hip cool thru hiker and laugh at the silly questions that one encounters while on their hike, but the person asking the question is actually showing an interest in what you are trying to accomplish and wants to connect to it in some way. They are also trying to fill a void their knowledge or to understand something they themselves will never do. That question may also be a simple polite way of making conversation.

The thing is, they are not stupid and they are not morons, but they may just not know how to frame a question. And while you may have just now been asked that question for the thousandth time, remember its the first time that that person has asked the question of you.

As a museum blacksmith, I am probably asked hundreds of times a day, "is that fire real?" That visitor isnt really asking if my fire is real or if its fake. What they are asking, is if its really a coal or charcoal fire, or if I am some how using gas. But of course I could laugh at them with my peers and make snarky comments about our stupid visitor, and be all cool and condesending to the tourons.

Coffee Rules!
02-16-2013, 23:11
A Touron who picks you up and gives you a lift is doing more good than an ATouron thru who believes hi s@#$ don't stink.

Hear, hear!

Lone Wolf
02-16-2013, 23:38
i so loathe thru-hikers

HikerMom58
02-16-2013, 23:42
i so loathe thru-hikers

Why Lone Wolf- Why? There are lots of WBer's that are going on the trail soon... do you loathe them?

BirdBrain
02-16-2013, 23:48
Why Lone Wolf- Why? There are lots of WBer's that are going on the trail soon... do you loathe them?

I have been noticing a pattern with LW. He says sarcastic things, but does nice things. Not sure why this is done. I have a guess, but it is hard to discern the thoughts and intents of the heart. I will say this much: He does not hate thru hikers. It is more likely that he loves thru hikers. Am I wrong LW? I have been wrong before... probably a few times today.

ChinMusic
02-16-2013, 23:51
I have been noticing a pattern with LW. He says sarcastic things, but does nice things. Not sure why this is done. I have a guess, but it is hard to discern the thoughts and intents of the heart. I will say this much: He does not hate thru hikers. It is more likely that he loves thru hikers. Am I wrong LW? I have been wrong before... probably a few times today.

Calling Dr Phil

BirdBrain
02-16-2013, 23:52
Calling Dr Phil

That bad, eh?

HikerMom58
02-16-2013, 23:54

I know that what you are saying is true BB....

LW... I hear all kinds of nice things that you do for thru-hikers... better jump in here to explain yourself. :)

BirdBrain
02-16-2013, 23:55
Okay, I am ready to have a few more irrelevant posts deleted. Guilty of straying again.

Lone Wolf
02-16-2013, 23:55

i do not love thru-hiker wannabes. i don't hate them either. they could learn a lot from long distance bikers on how to act in towns and at hostels. i do nice things for nice folks.

Lone Wolf
02-16-2013, 23:57

spend a month in damascus during peak season and just observe....

Lone Wolf
02-16-2013, 23:58
I know that what you are saying is true BB....

LW... I hear all kinds of nice things that you do for thru-hikers... better jump in here to explain yourself. :)

oh really? i really don't associate with "thru-hikers"

HikerMom58
02-17-2013, 00:00
i do not love thru-hiker wannabes. i don't hate them either. they could learn a lot from long distance bikers on how to act in towns and at hostels. i do nice things for nice folks.

How does one get on your "nice list?"

HikerMom58
02-17-2013, 00:02
oh really? i really don't associate with "thru-hikers"

Well, I heard that you are nice to sections hikers. I heard that you have helped out thru-hikers in need.

HikerMom58
02-17-2013, 00:03
spend a month in damascus during peak season and just observe....

I understand that not all thru-hikers are created equal... :)

Lone Wolf
02-17-2013, 00:12
How does one get on your "nice list?"

Well, I heard that you are nice to sections hikers. I heard that you have helped out thru-hikers in need.

i'm nice to nice folks

HikerMom58
02-17-2013, 00:22
i'm nice to nice folks

Ok buddy, I hear ya... I'm nice so I guess you'll be nice to me 2. :) Seriously, if you meet some nice hikers lemme know. I can do without reaching out to the "entitled" ones.

BirdBrain
02-17-2013, 00:25

Glad to hear that you do not hate my kind. I want to thru hike. Don't see how it can be done just yet. And believe me, if I ever get the chance I will be doing everything in my power to be a good neighbor to the towns as I pass through. I hear you loud and clear. People need to employ the golden rule and ask themselves how they would like to be treated. I try.

cleanshave
02-17-2013, 01:23
Anyway this thread got way off topic.

Once again it isn't an us vs. them type thing, whoever you want to think is us or them. I love the people that ask questions when I'm hiking or cycling because it shows they are interested in something they haven't seen before. I love the people that go out of their way to be nice, not only to hikers, thru or section or day, but to travelers in general. I think the people of the world are genuinely nice people for the most part if you give them a chance.

That being said, the original reason for this post was to stimulate some ideas for a story I was thinking of, a horror story taking place on the AT.

Here is that story if anyone is interested: http://www.thingsgoingsmoothly.com/2013/02/peak-of-the-tourons/

As I mentioned before, I had hoped this would be a fun thread full of entertaining stories about interactions between hikers and non hikers. Sadly it didn't go that way.

10-K
02-17-2013, 07:01
The more I hike the bigger my impression is that hikers who only hike on the AT are the tourons of the hiking world.

The AT is awesome and all but it's really hiking with training wheels.

Most of the people who thru hiked last year are sitting at home and are back at work and will probably not hike another long trail in their lives.

kayak karl
02-17-2013, 08:24
Are you a thru hiker?
But you haven't actually thru hiked???

i was asked if i was a thru hiker on the approach trail. LOL i was at -5 miles to the start.

HikerMom58
02-17-2013, 10:22
The more I hike the bigger my impression is that hikers who only hike on the AT are the tourons of the hiking world.

Most of the people who thru hiked last year are sitting at home and are back at work and will probably not hike another long trail in their lives.

I can see your point being true.... Interesting!!

Lone Wolf
02-17-2013, 10:49

and not at all tough physically or logistically

HikerMom58
02-17-2013, 11:41
Anyway this thread got way off topic.

Once again it isn't an us vs. them type thing, whoever you want to think is us or them. I love the people that ask questions when I'm hiking or cycling because it shows they are interested in something they haven't seen before. I love the people that go out of their way to be nice, not only to hikers, thru or section or day, but to travelers in general. I think the people of the world are genuinely nice people for the most part if you give them a chance.

That being said, the original reason for this post was to stimulate some ideas for a story I was thinking of, a horror story taking place on the AT.

Here is that story if anyone is interested: http://www.thingsgoingsmoothly.com/2013/02/peak-of-the-tourons/

As I mentioned before, I had hoped this would be a fun thread full of entertaining stories about interactions between hikers and non hikers. Sadly it didn't go that way.

I think the "us" and "them" that you are referring 2, are people in general. There are people that are snobs. There are people that are genuinely nice. They are well represented in hikers and non hikers, alike. They are well represented just within the hiking world, for that matter, as 10-K already pointed out.

If we can get past all that, we can come up with a thread full of fun entertaining stories. :) I don't think the snob interactions are fun and entertaining. That's just me. I know others might be fine with it! :)

Prime Time
02-17-2013, 12:33
CleanShave, I would suggest that in the interest of balance, you may want to add a chapter entitled "Dumb things thru hikers say and do". I live just off the AT in the White Mountains and I have watched and listened in amazement to thru hikers antics. How about the folks that go the wrong way and get all pissed off and it tuns out they don't even have a map while walking through some of the toughest terrain in the US? Or the one's who can't understand why they can't pitch a tent above tree line in a dangerous and fragile ecosystem that has claimed more lives than anywhere else in the country? Or the one's who pay $2000 - $3000 to complete a thru hike and scream like a baby because they have to pay $8 to stay on a nice flat tent platform at a campsite in the middle of nowhere staffed by a caretaker? Or how about the guy who really wanted to know what idiot laid out the trails through the Whites and why don't they remove some of the rocks? I've got a hundred or so more if you're interested.

Coffee Rules!
02-17-2013, 13:05
CleanShave, I would suggest that in the interest of balance, you may want to add a chapter entitled "Dumb things thru hikers say and do".

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that chapter could easily be the larger of the two.

cleanshave
02-17-2013, 13:51
Or how about the guy who really wanted to know what idiot laid out the trails through the Whites and why don't they remove some of the rocks?
LMAO, you should write some of those up, even as a series of funny blog posts they would be great reading.

... scream like a baby because they have to pay $8 to stay on a nice flat tent platform at a campsite in the middle of nowhere staffed by a caretaker?
I saw this one a lot while hiking the long trail, just sad. I felt bad for the caretakers that had to deal with the clueless hikers setting up tents above treeline and trying to build fires where the signs all clearly stated that they weren't allowed due to the high winds and fragile ecosystem. "But I'm in the wilderness, I can do anything I want," some guy told one of the caretakers. LMAO, he had just hiked a mile up from his car to a location that sees upwards of 300 people a day on the weekends.

brian039
02-17-2013, 14:03
CleanShave, I would suggest that in the interest of balance, you may want to add a chapter entitled "Dumb things thru hikers say and do". I live just off the AT in the White Mountains and I have watched and listened in amazement to thru hikers antics. How about the folks that go the wrong way and get all pissed off and it tuns out they don't even have a map while walking through some of the toughest terrain in the US? Or the one's who can't understand why they can't pitch a tent above tree line in a dangerous and fragile ecosystem that has claimed more lives than anywhere else in the country? Or the one's who pay $2000 - $3000 to complete a thru hike and scream like a baby because they have to pay $8 to stay on a nice flat tent platform at a campsite in the middle of nowhere staffed by a caretaker? Or how about the guy who really wanted to know what idiot laid out the trails through the Whites and why don't they remove some of the rocks? I've got a hundred or so more if you're interested.

The best example I can think of:

After being offered a place to camp in a guy's backyard, one thru-hiker somehow came up with the question "how soft is your grass?"

slow mind
02-17-2013, 14:17
I had a guy crash on my couch & in the AM he told me the fabric was too scratchy.

leaftye
02-17-2013, 14:18
CleanShave, I would suggest that in the interest of balance, you may want to add a chapter entitled "Dumb things thru hikers say and do".

It'd start off with a re-titled copy of the "dumb things tourons say to thru hikers" and be split into sub-chapters covering dumb things thru hikers say to all sorts of people. By the 5th edition, it'll be a multi volume encyclopedia.

Pedaling Fool
02-17-2013, 15:06
...covering dumb things thru hikers say to all sorts of people.
Tourons see thru-hiker at Clingmans Dome and ask how far the thru-hiker is hiking. Thru-hiker says, to Maine.

Now, that's dumb:)

Mountain Mike
02-17-2013, 23:12

Agreed. You can pretty much slack pack the entire trail. So many hostels & hiker feeds. I met two hikers in VT this year. First & they said probably last backpacking trip. It's a great experience. Would I do it again. No. Certain parts yes, but like 10K says to many other trails out there.

SunnyWalker
02-19-2013, 00:59
Oh well, alls well that ends well. See ya later, you TOU-RON!!!

Rain Man
02-19-2013, 10:49
i do nice things for nice folks.

Lone Wolf, not sure that I blame you, but the way you phrased that reminded me of something from Luke, chapter 6 --

27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.
29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also.
30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.
31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
32 For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.
33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
34 And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

For whatever it's worth to anyone at all.

Rain Man

BirdBrain
02-19-2013, 11:23
It is worth a lot to me. I try to listen to that Man more than this man. If you read many of my post, you will see that I do not succeed, but I try. Another verse (that I am not sure where it is... in Romans I think) says something to the effect of, "If it be possible, as much as lies in you, live peaceably with all men". That is a main goal of mine.

HikerMom58
02-19-2013, 11:32
It is worth a lot to me. I try to listen to that Man more than this man. If you read many of my post, you will see that I do not succeed, but I try. Another verse (that I am not sure where it is... in Romans I think) says something to the effect of, "If it be possible, as much as lies in you, live peaceably with all men". That is a main goal of mine.

Love that one BB... you are correct, Romans 12:18. I try to do that myself. Like you, not always successful. :(

TOW
02-19-2013, 12:01
Hey guys n gals,

I'm looking for some of the common things tourist/morons aka tourons say to thru hikers. You know the same questions you get repeatedly every time you hitch into town for a food resupply or pass an overlook.

For instance, "How many miles a day do you hike?" "What do you eat?" "Can my fat son wear you backpack and hold your trekking poles so I can take a picture of him?"

I'm compiling a list for a short story I'm working on. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks."What the hell is wrong with you?"

ChinMusic
02-19-2013, 12:26
"Wouldn't Witness Protection be easier?"

tdoczi
02-19-2013, 16:10

is that the same guy who came on here to proclaim that the reason why the trails in the whites are so difficult is because the AMC hasnt done any maintenance work on them in decades? i enjoyed that guy.

Prime Time
02-19-2013, 17:08
is that the same guy who came on here to proclaim that the reason why the trails in the whites are so difficult is because the AMC hasnt done any maintenance work on them in decades? i enjoyed that guy.
That's the guy! He also said that if the AMC wanted to see the way the trail should look, they should check out the AT in the South. Ya, that guy!

DrRichardCranium
02-19-2013, 21:58
I would say a Touron is someone who leaves trash in the shelter or bear box, expecting the park service (or anyone except himself) to clean up after him.

tdoczi
02-20-2013, 10:35
That's the guy! He also said that if the AMC wanted to see the way the trail should look, they should check out the AT in the South. Ya, that guy!

i think a sub chapter in one of these books, if not a whole book in itself, should be "dumb things hikers who never leave the AT corridor have said about the whites"

i know not from personal experience but i imagine another one could be done focusing on the smokies.

WingedMonkey
02-20-2013, 10:47
i think a sub chapter in one of these books, if not a whole book in itself, should be "dumb things hikers who never leave the AT corridor have said about the whites"

i know not from personal experience but i imagine another one could be done focusing on the smokies.

The AT in both is over used and too crowded, and I have no desire to hike them again.

But you are right, both are wonderful places full of alternate trails and I've been back to both for that reason.

tdoczi
02-20-2013, 10:57
The AT in both is over used and too crowded, and I have no desire to hike them again.

But you are right, both are wonderful places full of alternate trails and I've been back to both for that reason.

actually, the dumb things AT hikers say about the whites stems largely from the fact that most people who are hiking the whites are in fact not on the AT at all, except maybe by coincidence. AT hikers think the AT is the be all end of all of all things hiking, which in a place like the whites is laughably untrue to anyone without tunnel vision.

10-K
02-20-2013, 11:16

Hot Flash
02-20-2013, 11:24
The Tourons are the ones who believe you when they ask "Did you have to carry your food all the way from Georgia?" and you say "Yes I did"

You're supposed to say "No, I use my knife to hunt bears along the trail. Bears are good eatin' uh huh."

WingedMonkey
02-20-2013, 11:30

Damn I gotta be fast these days to read what you are thinking.

:p

10-K
02-20-2013, 12:00
Damn I gotta be fast these days to read what you are thinking.

:p

I have this nasty habit of engaging my fingers before my brain.... :)

Son Driven
02-20-2013, 12:18
1) are you by yourself?
2) what about bears?
3) are you carrying a gun?
4) are you carrying your food?
5) how many pairs of shoes?
6) how can you affordit?

Most of these aren't stupid questions but I would answerthesequestions on my shirt.

Why would you let anyone think that you are alone & unarmed?

1) are you by yourself? answer - should be NO (even if you are alone, because you are never really alone)
3) are you carrying a gun? answer - perhaps I am (I like others to think I might have a gun even if I do not)

prain4u
02-20-2013, 13:05
As far as condescending? It was in no way meant to be condescending.

Gee, I don't know how anyone got the wrong impression and thought that you were being even the slightest bit condescending. All you did was refer to the nice people who are giving a ride into town as "tourist MORONS". Don't most people consider being called a "moron" one of the highest compliments that a person can receive? I thought you were being particularly complimentary when you wrote this quote: "Can my fat son wear your backpack and hold your trekking poles so I can take a picture of him?" . Why would ANYONE consider a reference to a moron's "fat son" as being condescending?

bfayer
02-20-2013, 13:07
Why would you let anyone think that you are alone & unarmed?

1) are you by yourself? answer - should be NO (even if you are alone, because you are never really alone)
3) are you carrying a gun? answer - perhaps I am (I like others to think I might have a gun even if I do not)

On the gun thing, you need to be careful on that one. Having a gun can make you a target for theft, so you need to be as obtuse as possible. "Perhaps I am" is just about the same as "I am". I think a better approach is just to say "the trail is a pretty safe place" and leave it at that.

ChinMusic
02-20-2013, 13:11
"Perhaps I am" is just about the same as "I am". I think a better approach is just to say "the trail is a pretty safe place" and leave it at that.

With that logic, "the trail is a pretty safe place" is just about the same as "I am not".

IMO "perhaps", "maybe", "sometimes", are all good answers.

BirdBrain
02-20-2013, 13:18
Gee, I don't know how anyone got the wrong impression and thought that you were being even the slightest bit condescending. All you did was refer to the nice people who are giving a ride into town as "tourist MORONS". Don't most people consider being called a "moron" one of the highest compliments that a person can receive? I thought you were being particularly complimentary when you wrote this quote: "Can my fat son wear your backpack and hold your trekking poles so I can take a picture of him?" . Why would ANYONE consider a reference to a moron's "fat son" as being condescending?

Careful. You are bringing logic into the debate. Besides, isn't it standard practice to judge others by their actions and yourself by your intent. "Every way of a man is right in his own eyes."

HikerMom58
02-20-2013, 13:26
Careful. You are bringing logic into the debate. Besides, isn't it standard practice to judge others by their actions and yourself by your intent. "Every way of a man is right in his own eyes."

Logic? Common Sense? What is that? Besides, isn't it standard practice to judge others by their actions and yourself by your intent. "Every way of a man is right in his own eyes." Yes, Sir!

Prime Time
02-20-2013, 15:58
actually, the dumb things AT hikers say about the whites stems largely from the fact that most people who are hiking the whites are in fact not on the AT at all, except maybe by coincidence. AT hikers think the AT is the be all end of all of all things hiking, which in a place like the whites is laughably untrue to anyone without tunnel vision.
Here's one of my favorite exchanges I had.
Thru Hiker: (heading toward the Bonds in the completely wrong direction) Is this the AT?
Me: No, for northbound, you want to back track about a mile and a half and go right on the Twinway.
Thru Hiker: (dripping with sarcasm) Da, I said A.T., not Twin. Way.
Me: The AT is the same trail as the Twinway for a section of it. The AT through all of New Hampshire utilizes preexisting trails with preexisting names. You need to pay close attention to trail signs, and you should carry a map.
Thru hiker: I've managed to get here all the way from Georgia without a map. Why the hell should I have to buy one now.
Me: In that case, why don't you just continue straight ahead. You obviously know where you're going.

rocketsocks
02-20-2013, 16:09
Thru Hiker: (heading toward the Bonds in the completely wrong direction) Is this the AT?
Me: No, for northbound, you want to back track about a mile and a half and go right on the Twinway.
Me: The AT is the same trail as the Twinway for a section of it. The AT through all of New Hampshire utilizes preexisting trails with preexisting names. You need to pay close attention to trail signs, and you should carry a map.
Thru hiker: I've managed to get here all the way from Georgia without a map. Why the hell should I have to buy one now.
Me: In that case, why don't you just continue straight ahead. You obviously know where you're going.:eek:.............:D

Moose2001
02-20-2013, 16:15
Hey guys n gals,

I'm compiling a list for a short story I'm working on. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Actually, the dumbest things I've ever heard, or read, while on the AT all came from the mouths of hikers! Your question is a classic example of that!

tdoczi
02-20-2013, 16:15
Me: In that case, why don't you just continue straight ahead. You obviously know where you're going.

my favorite is a much more subtle but illuminating and oft repeated one- any conversation about lakes of the clouds and it's distance from pinkham notch. if you say 14.9 miles, youre a clueless AT hiker, if you say 4.6 miles, youre correct.

an example of this conversation goes something like this. two hikers meet in pinkham notch-

"where are you headed?"

"lakes of the clouds."

"and youre leaving now?!?! (this conversation takes place at around 2 or 3pm) it nearly 15 miles! youll never make it!!!!"

AT hikers think the only way to get anywhere in the whites is by following the AT, which, as your story illuminates, doesnt really even exist in the whites.