PDA

View Full Version : Monson update

Doc
06-11-2005, 20:17
Just returned from Monson and some trail maintaining. Stopped in at Shaw's and they are already helping out SOBO's. New changes this year will be no dinners or laundry at Shaw's. Both are available in town. The BBQ place has my special endorsement. The General Store is run by Tim, a very friendly and helpful guy. They have burgers, pizza, and ice cream. No bugs were in evidence when I was there but it was a cold, damp day. Since then we have had very hot and humid days so the little buggers are certainly out. The trail was wet and muddy with some blow-downs which should be removed shortly. We have had trouble getting out on the trail because of the very wet and rainy Spring.

Doc

karen0540
06-16-2005, 13:50
Are there any stores in Monson to buy gear? Is it best to send supplies, or just the money to buy out there? Can I call stores from Chicago and use my credit card to pay for what they may need in case my packages don't arrive in time? David forgot to bring a few things. Do you have any advice on where I could meet them along the trail if I come out there July 9? Thanks! Karen

attroll
06-16-2005, 14:17
There are no real big stores there in Monson for buying major gear. I think Shaw's is the only thing and they don't have major gear items, just resupply stuff. The closest would be Greenville. It all depends on what he forgot.

A-Train
06-16-2005, 14:55
Karen:

I would not worry. Thru-hikers become very inovative people VERY quickly on the trail. We learn what to use as backup to replace something we lost/broke/forgot. Most likely they were able to borrow an extra from another hiker or get by without. The community is great like that. I wouldn;t worry much, I'm sure they are in good hands. Maine is about as friendly a state as you'll experience on the AT.

Askus3
06-16-2005, 17:53
Monson is a town with a population of 600. There is an elementary school, post office, a couple of convenience stores, one or two restaurants, gas stations, laundromat, hiking hostels and that is about it. More than likely most thru-hikers get their first real good accommodations in Monson, staying at Shaw's (an institution for thru hikers staying in Monson) and some hikers even take a zero day (R & R & day off the trail - no hiking) here. For my photo album including pictures of Shaw's and what kind of scenery your daughter is seeing in Maine view these photos here. (http://community.webshots.com/photo/365786697/367381218sEHwVy)

Askus3
06-16-2005, 19:13
Just thought I'd add: The website for Shaw's Lodging in Monson is: http://www.shawslodging.com

karen0540
06-19-2005, 03:07
If kids started out hiking Monday June 13, about when do you think they will arrive in Monson-and then what is next maildrop after that? There's another town a couple days hike after Monson, right? What is it called again? Know maildrop address? Thanks!

Askus3
06-19-2005, 07:04
8 to 10 days from Katahdin, they should get to Monson. 2-3 days after that they will get to the next maildrop - Caratunk, ME. This is where Steve Longley "Ferryman" operates his hikers ferry across the Kennebec River and his hostel. He has responded to your posts a couple of times. Unless the kids are crazy and don't listen to the sound advice of using his ferry, he will know when they are there and how they are doing. He has everybody using the ferry put on lifejackets and sign a liability release form. He also has a form to fill out asking where you are going and how long you plan to be out on the trail. He runs a sound operation and is a great guy. It is nice that there is a fellow out there to help hikers out. No charge but says to make donations to the Maine Appalachian Club. Caratunk makes Monson look like Chicago. All that is there is Steve Longley's operation and post office. That is it!

karen0540
06-20-2005, 03:51
Yes, he has been very helpful. I believe I have emailed him personally about the kids. I am happy he is there to help!

Debbie
08-01-2005, 22:01
There are no real big stores there in Monson for buying major gear. I think Shaw's is the only thing and they don't have major gear items, just resupply stuff. The closest would be Greenville. It all depends on what he forgot.
Do you happen to know if Shaw's carries canister fuel for stoves like the MSR pocket rocket? That is one thing I cannot take on the plane.
I can call Shaw's, of course but I'm trying to avoid another long distance call and my e-mail to their website just got sent back by "Daemon" as undeliverable.

Thanks

Debbie/SeaEagle

Nean
08-01-2005, 22:22
Shaws has all that and more!

walkin' wally
08-02-2005, 08:26
As far as Greenville goes there is a hiking supply store called the Hard Drive Cafe at the bottom of the hill in town. It is not a full service place like EMS but has some basic stufflike sleeping bags,stoves,filters etc. They also deal with biking and kayaking interests. There are computers available and coffee. Maybe Ridgewalker 777 would have more info on this place.

Debbie
08-02-2005, 16:14
Shaws has all that and more!
Thanks!! One less thing to worry about.

Debbie

TJ aka Teej
08-02-2005, 18:40
As far as Greenville goes there is a hiking supply store called the Hard Drive Cafe at the bottom of the hill in town. It is not a full service place like EMS but has some basic stuff like sleeping bags,stoves,filters etc.The Hard Drive Cafe is inside Northwoods Outfitters www.maineoutfitter.com (http://www.maineoutfitter.com) They have canister fuel, as does Shaw's.
I visited about two weeks ago, had a good look around, met the owner, and ran into Kineo Kid working there. The Kid is Christopher Keene, author of 'Northwoods Walks' and lead person on creating a Moosehead Loop Trail. Next time I'm up by Lily Bay, I'll have to let you know, WalkinWally! :D

walkin' wally
08-02-2005, 21:33
Hey Teej,

Find Skunk Point in Lily Bay and you will probably find me. :sun Have you done the 100 mile widerness yet? I left a note for you at Rainbow Spring.

TJ aka Teej
08-03-2005, 08:02
Hey Teej,

Have you done the 100 mile widerness yet? I left a note for you at Rainbow Spring.
Not doing the whole 100 this year, have been off in the Western Mounains (and heading to the Bigelows and Crockers in a few hours). I should be at Rainbow Spring on the 11th or 12th of August, though!
TJ < gets around :D