PDA

View Full Version : Do people use snowshoes? and Berkshire trail conditions?

clarosee
02-16-2013, 18:41
I was planning on hiking a section of the Berkshires and was wondering if the majority of the trails were hikeable. If so would i need to use snoeshoes or could I just go in my hiking boots? Thanks.

Chaco Taco
02-17-2013, 11:14
I was planning on hiking a section of the Berkshires and was wondering if the majority of the trails were hikeable. If so would i need to use snoeshoes or could I just go in my hiking boots? Thanks.
Trails are always hikeable with proper gear. When are you hiking?

Prime Time
02-17-2013, 12:54
Snowshoes would be needed only if it has snowed significantly (more than 6 inches) in the last 48 hours. You'd be better served to bring Micro Spikes.

Snowleopard
02-17-2013, 14:21
When are you going? Right after the blizzard there was probably less snow than in Boston, but it could still be significant. You could call the rangers at Mt. Washington (MA) State Forest and Mt. Greylock Reservation for current conditions. Generally it's a good idea to carry the snowshoes and make the decision at the trailhead, but Primetime is probably right that microspikes are needed.

Worcester county has enough snow that snowshoes and microspikes are needed (i.e., the midstate trail would be a nice hike right now). Today's temp is 15F here in northern Worcester county and the Berkshires probably colder.

ChuckBrown
02-18-2013, 06:51
I have snowshoed to October mt shelter in the past. easy hike from the red house on (Pittsfield rd?)I towed a small red plastic sled carrying some extra gear ( beer)

clarosee
02-18-2013, 10:02
thanks for the advise guys. it's really helpful

Feral Bill
02-18-2013, 18:40
Keep in mind that snowshoeing can be exceedingly exhausting, especially breaking trail, and plan accordingly.